HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2012, 06:57 PM
  #476
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Ray Ferraro's 2014 Canadian team:

E. Staal Crosby Perry
Nash Giroux Stamkos
Tavares Toews Seguin
M. Richards J. Staal Eberle
Bergeron

Keith Doughty
Letang Weber
Girardi Pietrangelo
Coburn

Price
Fleury
Ward

JackSlater is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:11 PM
  #477
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 492
Toews.is a guarantee at Centre

jigglysquishy is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
  #478
Felkov
Registered User
 
Felkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Hilaire
Country: Canada
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
Tavares-Crosby-Perry
E.Staal-Giroux-Stamkos
Nash-Toews-Eberle
Lucic-J.Staal-Sharp
Seguin

Keith-Doughty
Letang-Weber
M.Staal-Pietrangelo
Subban

Price
Fleury
Ward


Man.. can't wait for the 2014 Olympics

Felkov is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
  #479
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Nash-Tavares-Eberle
J.Staal-E.Staal-Perry
M.Richards-Toews-Bergeron
Sharp

Weber-Pietrangelo
Keith-Doughty
Seabrook-Letang
Hamhuis

Price
Luongo
Ward

StringerBell is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:38 PM
  #480
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I don't know how anyone can leave Luongo off the team, the guy won gold for us as our goalie in 2010. Meanwhile someone like Cam Ward has looked bad in international competition, even as recently as this year.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:56 PM
  #481
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.
 
KareemTrustfund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ceti Alpha 6
Posts: 13,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I don't know how anyone can leave Luongo off the team, the guy won gold for us as our goalie in 2010. Meanwhile someone like Cam Ward has looked bad in international competition, even as recently as this year.
I agree, though Ward certainly should be considered.

I'm also struggling to understand why someone would want Milan Lucic on the team. His blazing speed could be valuable on the big ice, I suppose.

KareemTrustfund is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:58 PM
  #482
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
I agree, though Ward certainly should be considered.

I'm also struggling to understand why someone would want Milan Lucic on the team. His blazing speed could be valuable on the big ice, I suppose.
That too. We took a bigger team to Torino in 2006 and were exposed. The 2014 team needs to be built based on speed. Size is generally neutralized on the larger ice surface.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
  #483
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That too. We took a bigger team to Torino in 2006 and were exposed. The 2014 team needs to be built based on speed. Size is generally neutralized on the larger ice surface.
Least.Mobile.Defense.Ever.

Losing Niedermayer devastated that team.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 08:28 PM
  #484
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I don't know how anyone can leave Luongo off the team, the guy won gold for us as our goalie in 2010. Meanwhile someone like Cam Ward has looked bad in international competition, even as recently as this year.
Luongo was the goaltender for the winning team, he didn't win the gold for Canada. He was adequate in 2010 and deserves consideration based on that, but he should not be considered a lock for the team. There will have been a lot of hockey played between the 2010 and 2014 Olympics that needs to be considered.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 08:15 AM
  #485
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Ray Ferraro's 2014 Canadian team:

E. Staal Crosby Perry
Nash Giroux Stamkos
Tavares Toews Seguin
M. Richards J. Staal Eberle
Bergeron

Keith Doughty
Letang Weber
Girardi Pietrangelo
Coburn

Price
Fleury
Ward
Coburn is certainly an interesting (and surprising) choice; I certainly didn't have him on my short list. Girardi is midly surprising; personally I'd take Seabrook and Staal over him, but Girardi is a good player so its not an outlandish pick or anything.

Pretty solid forward group, though I'd like to see a bit more speed (for instance, substitute Hall for J. Staal).

The goaltending group leaves a bit to be desired, but we all know that.

86Habs is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
  #486
True Hockey Fan
Registered User
 
True Hockey Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I like that you included Neal, but I'm not a fan of Spezza or Thornton. I think your line-combos are okay except for those two players. What I'd do with your lines:

Tavares - Crosby - Neal
X (Toews?)- Stamkos - Giroux
E.Staal - Toews (X) - Eberle
Nash - X (Bergeron? Getzlaf? Richards?) - Perry

?

Well, I would put Nash or E.Staal into the 2nd line.

Tavares - Crosby - Neal
Nash - Stamkos - Giroux
E.Staal - Toews - Eberle
Seguin / J.Staal - Bergeron - Perry
13th: M. Richards

True Hockey Fan is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 09:39 AM
  #487
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,434
vCash: 500
A lot of you seem to have totally differ rosters than what Stevie Y chose in 2010. I would assume he would keep the core of that roster, replace any guys who might be too old come that time and maybe add in more speed for the international rinks

2010 rosters at age in 2014
Martin Brodeur, 41 (New Jersey Devils) REPLACE
Roberto Luongo, 34 (Vancouver Canucks)
Marc-Andre Fleury, 29 (Pittsburgh Penguins)

So 2014 Roster will be most likely
Roberto Luongo, MA Fleury but then he would probably add in Carey Price, a guy who will probably have the best chance in winning the starting job.


Defense

Scott Niedermayer, RETIRED (Anaheim Ducks) REPLACE
Chris Pronger, RETIRED (Philadelphia Flyers) REPLACE
Shea Weber, 28 (Nashville Predators)
Drew Doughty, 24 (Los Angeles Kings)
Duncan Keith 30 (Chicago Blackhawks)
Dan Boyle, 37 (San Jose Sharks) REPLACE
Brent Seabrook, 28 (Chicago Blackhawks)

* I think the skating and poise that Scotti had is already replaced with a more mature Doughty. Pronger size and strength is already replaced with a more experienced and poised Weber. I think Steve Y will go after Mike Green, Kris Letang and Dion Phaneuf and one more to look at would be Alex Pietrangelo.

Starters would probably be
Shea Weber-Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty- Kris Letang
Mike Green- Duncan Keith

FOrwards were


Sidney Crosby, 25 (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Rick Nash, 29 (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Jarome Iginla, 36 (Calgary Flames) REPLACE
Mike Richards, 29 (Philadelphia Flyers)
Joe Thornton, 34 (San Jose Sharks)
Patrick Marleau, 34 (San Jose Sharks) REPLACE
Ryan Getzlaf, 28 (Anaheim Ducks)
Brenden Morrow, 35 (Dallas Stars) REPLACE
Corey Perry, 28 (Anaheim Ducks)
Dany Heatley, 33 (San Jose Sharks)
Eric Staal, 29 (Carolina Hurricanes)
Patrice Bergeron, 29 (Boston Bruins)
Jonathan Toews, 25 (Chicago Blackhawks)

* honestly if this was once again being played on NHL arenas. I would probably say that everyone on here would be back on that team but with age coming into factor some of their speed will drop and it is needed for international rink. So Above I will place who i think needs to be replaced DUE to age and speed. The only guy I kept above the age of 33 was Joe Thornton who is dominating the Swiss Nat A league and shows that his playmaking makes up for his speed. His size would be needed too I think.

Replacing those three would probably be Steve Stamkos, Claude Giroux, Jamie Benn or Jordan Staal. I think Dany Heatley will miss the roster as well, so that can be another replacement. After that I would include Jordan Eberle.

Steve Stamkos- Sidney Crosby- Claude Giroux
Rick Nash- Jon Toews- Mike Richards
Ryan Getzlaf- Joe Thornton- Corey Perry
Eric Staal -Patrice Bergeron- Jamie Benn

Captain will probably be Sidney Crosby, Assistants will be Shea Weber

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
  #488
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
A lot of you seem to have totally differ rosters than what Stevie Y chose in 2010. I would assume he would keep the core of that roster, replace any guys who might be too old come that time and maybe add in more speed for the international rinks

2010 rosters at age in 2014
Martin Brodeur, 41 (New Jersey Devils) REPLACE
Roberto Luongo, 34 (Vancouver Canucks)
Marc-Andre Fleury, 29 (Pittsburgh Penguins)

So 2014 Roster will be most likely
Roberto Luongo, MA Fleury but then he would probably add in Carey Price, a guy who will probably have the best chance in winning the starting job.


Defense

Scott Niedermayer, RETIRED (Anaheim Ducks) REPLACE
Chris Pronger, RETIRED (Philadelphia Flyers) REPLACE
Shea Weber, 28 (Nashville Predators)
Drew Doughty, 24 (Los Angeles Kings)
Duncan Keith 30 (Chicago Blackhawks)
Dan Boyle, 37 (San Jose Sharks) REPLACE
Brent Seabrook, 28 (Chicago Blackhawks)

* I think the skating and poise that Scotti had is already replaced with a more mature Doughty. Pronger size and strength is already replaced with a more experienced and poised Weber. I think Steve Y will go after Mike Green, Kris Letang and Dion Phaneuf and one more to look at would be Alex Pietrangelo.

Starters would probably be
Shea Weber-Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty- Kris Letang
Mike Green- Duncan Keith

FOrwards were


Sidney Crosby, 25 (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Rick Nash, 29 (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Jarome Iginla, 36 (Calgary Flames) REPLACE
Mike Richards, 29 (Philadelphia Flyers)
Joe Thornton, 34 (San Jose Sharks)
Patrick Marleau, 34 (San Jose Sharks) REPLACE
Ryan Getzlaf, 28 (Anaheim Ducks)
Brenden Morrow, 35 (Dallas Stars) REPLACE
Corey Perry, 28 (Anaheim Ducks)
Dany Heatley, 33 (San Jose Sharks)
Eric Staal, 29 (Carolina Hurricanes)
Patrice Bergeron, 29 (Boston Bruins)
Jonathan Toews, 25 (Chicago Blackhawks)

* honestly if this was once again being played on NHL arenas. I would probably say that everyone on here would be back on that team but with age coming into factor some of their speed will drop and it is needed for international rink. So Above I will place who i think needs to be replaced DUE to age and speed. The only guy I kept above the age of 33 was Joe Thornton who is dominating the Swiss Nat A league and shows that his playmaking makes up for his speed. His size would be needed too I think.

Replacing those three would probably be Steve Stamkos, Claude Giroux, Jamie Benn or Jordan Staal. I think Dany Heatley will miss the roster as well, so that can be another replacement. After that I would include Jordan Eberle.

Steve Stamkos- Sidney Crosby- Claude Giroux
Rick Nash- Jon Toews- Mike Richards
Ryan Getzlaf- Joe Thornton- Corey Perry
Eric Staal -Patrice Bergeron- Jamie Benn

Captain will probably be Sidney Crosby, Assistants will be Shea Weber
You're kidding about Green and Phaneuf, right?

86Habs is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 11:02 AM
  #489
True Hockey Fan
Registered User
 
True Hockey Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
A lot of you seem to have totally differ rosters than what Stevie Y chose in 2010. I would assume he would keep the core of that roster, replace any guys who might be too old come that time and maybe add in more speed for the international rinks

2010 rosters at age in 2014
Martin Brodeur, 41 (New Jersey Devils) REPLACE
Roberto Luongo, 34 (Vancouver Canucks)
Marc-Andre Fleury, 29 (Pittsburgh Penguins)

So 2014 Roster will be most likely
Roberto Luongo, MA Fleury but then he would probably add in Carey Price, a guy who will probably have the best chance in winning the starting job.


Defense

Scott Niedermayer, RETIRED (Anaheim Ducks) REPLACE
Chris Pronger, RETIRED (Philadelphia Flyers) REPLACE
Shea Weber, 28 (Nashville Predators)
Drew Doughty, 24 (Los Angeles Kings)
Duncan Keith 30 (Chicago Blackhawks)
Dan Boyle, 37 (San Jose Sharks) REPLACE
Brent Seabrook, 28 (Chicago Blackhawks)

* I think the skating and poise that Scotti had is already replaced with a more mature Doughty. Pronger size and strength is already replaced with a more experienced and poised Weber. I think Steve Y will go after Mike Green, Kris Letang and Dion Phaneuf and one more to look at would be Alex Pietrangelo.

Starters would probably be
Shea Weber-Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty- Kris Letang
Mike Green- Duncan Keith

FOrwards were


Sidney Crosby, 25 (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Rick Nash, 29 (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Jarome Iginla, 36 (Calgary Flames) REPLACE
Mike Richards, 29 (Philadelphia Flyers)
Joe Thornton, 34 (San Jose Sharks)
Patrick Marleau, 34 (San Jose Sharks) REPLACE
Ryan Getzlaf, 28 (Anaheim Ducks)
Brenden Morrow, 35 (Dallas Stars) REPLACE
Corey Perry, 28 (Anaheim Ducks)
Dany Heatley, 33 (San Jose Sharks)
Eric Staal, 29 (Carolina Hurricanes)
Patrice Bergeron, 29 (Boston Bruins)
Jonathan Toews, 25 (Chicago Blackhawks)

* honestly if this was once again being played on NHL arenas. I would probably say that everyone on here would be back on that team but with age coming into factor some of their speed will drop and it is needed for international rink. So Above I will place who i think needs to be replaced DUE to age and speed. The only guy I kept above the age of 33 was Joe Thornton who is dominating the Swiss Nat A league and shows that his playmaking makes up for his speed. His size would be needed too I think.

Replacing those three would probably be Steve Stamkos, Claude Giroux, Jamie Benn or Jordan Staal. I think Dany Heatley will miss the roster as well, so that can be another replacement. After that I would include Jordan Eberle.

Steve Stamkos- Sidney Crosby- Claude Giroux
Rick Nash- Jon Toews- Mike Richards
Ryan Getzlaf- Joe Thornton- Corey Perry
Eric Staal -Patrice Bergeron- Jamie Benn

Captain will probably be Sidney Crosby, Assistants will be Shea Weber
It's an interesting idea. Jamie Benn would not be on my team today, but who knows.......
The same for Hall, RNH, E.Kane or Skinner.

True Hockey Fan is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 11:43 AM
  #490
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
* honestly if this was once again being played on NHL arenas. I would probably say that everyone on here would be back on that team but with age coming into factor some of their speed will drop and it is needed for international rink. So Above I will place who i think needs to be replaced DUE to age and speed. The only guy I kept above the age of 33 was Joe Thornton who is dominating the Swiss Nat A league and shows that his playmaking makes up for his speed. His size would be needed too I think.
Thornton should not come back. In the 2006 Olympics (at his peak) Thornton was only adequate, and in 2010 he was a complete non-factor. A bigger issue is that Thornton realistically has to play centre, unlike someone like E. Staal. Crosby will occupy one centre spot, Toews will take another and presumably one of Stamkos/Giroux will take another. That leaves the 4th line spot for one centre, and Thornton certainly didn't work there in 2010. He's even less likely to work when he's four years older and skating will be more valuable.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:13 PM
  #491
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Thornton should not come back. In the 2006 Olympics (at his peak) Thornton was only adequate, and in 2010 he was a complete non-factor. A bigger issue is that Thornton realistically has to play centre, unlike someone like E. Staal. Crosby will occupy one centre spot, Toews will take another and presumably one of Stamkos/Giroux will take another. That leaves the 4th line spot for one centre, and Thornton certainly didn't work there in 2010. He's even less likely to work when he's four years older and skating will be more valuable.
I think they like his playmaking ability and size. Especially on the powerplay as hes asked to jus sit next to boards and make the play. Im watching 2010 vs Russia and before watched the Gold medal game and though you hardly see his line out there or notice it at least you will see him occasionally doing what he does best.

In 2014 can he be replaced... yes but honestly i think Canada loves having big bad players. Honestly. Big or small rink, its what Canada has always been about. Putting the most skilled guys out there but skill in Canada is how simple you play, how much poise you have and how big you act on the ice.


Heres a big issue currently... Crosby and Giroux are having some issues. They had some in the playoffs and its still a petty argument today as Yahoo Sport jus came out with an article on how Crosby is not sorry for playing hard on the faceoff while Giroux believes it was not accidental.


Even if they both are on the roster, idk how much well see of them on the same line.

Staal-Crosby-Iginla was the 2010 line. I think Giroux would make a perfect replacement for Iginla but if not then just try Nash on that line or put in Stamkos

Nash-Toews-Richards was a powerful line for Canada in 10, no need to change it. 3rd line against Russia but 1st against USA.

Marleau-Thornton-Heatly You might be able to replace this entire line. The big rink is huge factor. But i really think we all underrate Thornton. Big guy on faceoffs, pose on the PP and theres real no reason to replace this line just replace Marlaeu with either Jamie Benn or Jordan Staal

Morrow-Getzlaf-Perry Morrow might be the only one need to be replaced. You can replace him with Giroux. I think Giroux speed on this line would come in handy.


The beauty of Canada is that have so much talent and size. They can put out 4 even lines of even playing time and be valuable. But that big rink is a factor. Eberle speed would be useful but Benn would be useful on PK and hes not a slowpoke either. If anything you can replace Thornton with Eberle and have

Crosby, Staal, Stamkos
Toews, Nash, Richards
Getzlaf, Perry, Benn
Eberle, Giroux, Heatly

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:15 PM
  #492
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
You're kidding about Green and Phaneuf, right?
Nope... Mike green and Dion Phanuef were heavily considered for 2010 and in 2014 they will be more mature players. I think Greens speed and skating will be useful on big ice. Dion Phanuef is a key guy who can replace Prongers size.


Who else would you have?

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:22 PM
  #493
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
You're kidding about Green and Phaneuf, right?
In my final roster, even though both of those guys were heavily considered in the 2010 team, i did not put in Dion but I did put in Green. Others possible but I think I rather have Green is

Brian Campbell but he will be near 36 by then
Dennis Wideman who will be 32, hes solid but I think Green will fit the role better. Wideman is constantly a negative player on an elite and defensive team in the NHL.
P.K Subban? Yea maybe... I think he lives hockey like Crosby and by 2014 he might be ready...

Alex Pietrangelo? Okay possibly

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
  #494
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Nope... Mike green and Dion Phanuef were heavily considered for 2010 and in 2014 they will be more mature players. I think Greens speed and skating will be useful on big ice. Dion Phanuef is a key guy who can replace Prongers size.


Who else would you have?
I'd take Marc Staal or Dan Girardi over Phanuef. Seriously, I'd keep Dion so far away from this team... I got Phaneuf buried on Canada's C team... I'd take one of Canada's junior players as a 7th d-man (Hamilton or Murray) before I'd take Phaneuf.

These are my picks as TOP 8 D-men. And there'll only be 7 taken.
S Weber A Pietrangelo
D Doughty D. Keith
M Staal K Letang
B. Seabrook D Girardi

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:42 PM
  #495
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Nope... Mike green and Dion Phanuef were heavily considered for 2010 and in 2014 they will be more mature players. I think Greens speed and skating will be useful on big ice. Dion Phanuef is a key guy who can replace Prongers size.


Who else would you have?
I was honestly really excited about your post until I got to Mike Green. I cringed, but kept going. Then I got to Dion and I stopped altogether.

therealdeal is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:42 PM
  #496
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Nope... Mike green and Dion Phanuef were heavily considered for 2010 and in 2014 they will be more mature players. I think Greens speed and skating will be useful on big ice. Dion Phanuef is a key guy who can replace Prongers size.

Who else would you have?
Firstly, there's no evidence that either Green or Phaneuf were heavily considered for the 2010 team. Bob MacKenzie from TSN reported on the morning of the roster announcement that Bouwmeester had made the team, but that turned out to be Doughty obviously. I'd line 'em up like this:

Keith - Doughty
Staal - Weber
Letang - Pietrangelo
Seabrook

Then, on my depth chart I'd have Girardi, Myers, Subban, Del Zotto, and Hamhuis before Phaneuf. Maybe Boyle too. Then probably a few more guys until I got to Green. Basically Keith, Doughty, Letang, and Pietrangelo give you enough speed, puck-handling skill and mobility to make a guy like Green redundant. If, due to injury we need to replace, say, Letang, I'd tap Subban or MDZ first.

In terms of size and strength, we have plenty of that too (insofar as we really need it on the international ice). There's no one quite like Pronger, but if you think back to 2006 he was pretty brutal on the international ice, as was Regehr, the other "big body" on defence. So the size and strength aspect may be a bit of red herring for 2014 and my preference is that we have 7 well-rounded defencemen who won't expose us on either end of the ice.

86Habs is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:45 PM
  #497
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Firstly, there's no evidence that either Green or Phaneuf were heavily considered for the 2010 team. Bob MacKenzie from TSN reported on the morning of the roster announcement that Bouwmeester had made the team, but that turned out to be Doughty obviously. I'd line 'em up like this:

Keith - Doughty
Staal - Weber
Letang - Pietrangelo
Seabrook

Then, on my depth chart I'd have Girardi, Myers, Subban, Del Zotto, and Hamhuis before Phaneuf. Maybe Boyle too. Then probably a few more guys until I got to Green. Basically Keith, Doughty, Letang, and Pietrangelo give you enough speed, puck-handling skill and mobility to make a guy like Green redundant. If, due to injury we need to replace, say, Letang, I'd tap Subban or MDZ first.

In terms of size and strength, we have plenty of that too (insofar as we really need it on the international ice). There's no one quite like Pronger, but if you think back to 2006 he was pretty brutal on the international ice, as was Regehr, the other "big body" on defence. So the size and strength aspect may be a bit of red herring for 2014 and my preference is that we have 7 well-rounded defencemen who won't expose us on either end of the ice.
I'm with ya 100%

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
10-18-2012, 01:58 PM
  #498
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Crosby, Staal, Stamkos
Toews, Nash, Richards
Getzlaf, Perry, Benn
Eberle, Giroux, Heatly
Not to pick on you - LOL - but you can't line those six forwards up together on an international ice surface - they'd get eaten alive. In terms of skating ability:

Heatley - poor
Perry - mediocre to poor
Getzlaf - mediocre (for a center)
Benn - decent @ wing, mediocre @ center
Eberle - average
Giroux - average

Heatley should be nowhere near this team. Same for Thornton. The other five may very make it (Giroux is a lock, Eberle is a near-lock, Perry and Getzlaf are 50-50, and Benn is a bit of a longshot), but if they do they'll need to be lined-up with faster skaters. Ironically, the guy you gave the least consideration to, Marleau, is probably the one best positioned to be an asset on the 2014 with his speed and special teams ability.

86Habs is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
  #499
BonMorrison
Sexy Back
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,521
vCash: 500
2010 Roster:

Sidney Crosby - lock.
Jarome Iginla - likely (reasoning will be below).
Eric Staal - likely.

Joe Thornton - unlikely.
Patrick Marleau - unlikely.
Dany Heatley - definitely gone.

Ryan Getzlaf - likely.
Corey Perry - lock.
Brendan Morrow - definitely gone.

Jonathon Toews - lock.
Mike Richards - likely.
Rick Nash - questionable.

Alright - so let's get started. Iginla - I think I'm the only person who has him on the roster but honestly, he will be the same age as Niedermeyer was in 2010. He would most definitely be the captain and he's shown little sign of decline. If he's still an offensive force in 2014, I see him being a near lock for his veteran/leadership abilities and still great level of player. I personally think the entire Sharks line will be gone - Heatley's been on the decline while the other two while still will probably be good players are replaceable. I don't understand why people are writing Getzlaf off after one bad season, he does great in clutch situations like 2010. Perry's an obvious lock and Morrow will obviously be gone. Toews and Richards I view as locks for their shutdown ability in 2010. Nash is a 50/50 for me.

So from the above on my roster, there are five open spots:

Steven Stamkos - obvious choice.
Claude Giroux - obvious choice.

Patrice Bergeron - replaces Rick Nash on the shutdown line.
John Tavares - with his current progression, will likely be an elite player by then.
Taylor Hall - my controversial pick but I think the kid's blazing speed and hard hitting, take-no-**** play will make the opposing team's life a living hell.

I won't do a defense analysis because everyone generally has the exact same lineup.

Shea Weber - Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith - Alex Pietrangelo

Those four seem to be the locks. #5 and #6 spots seem to bubble around Kris Letang, Brent Seabrook, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Dan Hamhuis and P.K. Subban. I'd personally do Letang and Staal.

So here's what my line up would be:

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby (A) - Corey Perry
Eric Staal - Claude Giroux - John Tavares
Taylor Hall - Ryan Getzlaf - Jarome Iginla (C)
Mike Richards - Jonathon Toews - Patrice Bergeron
x: Jordan Staal

Shea Weber - Drew Doughty
Alex Pietrangelo - Duncan Keith
Kris Letang - Marc Staal
x: Brent Seabrook

Carey Price
Marc-André Fleury
Roberto Luongo

BonMorrison is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
  #500
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Heres a big issue currently... Crosby and Giroux are having some issues. They had some in the playoffs and its still a petty argument today as Yahoo Sport jus came out with an article on how Crosby is not sorry for playing hard on the faceoff while Giroux believes it was not accidental.

Even if they both are on the roster, idk how much well see of them on the same line.
I agree that they may struggle to coexist, but it's not an issue. If Crosby and Giroux have legitimate animosity that won't allow them to play together, they can simply be placed on different lines. Personally I would rather Giroux and Stamkos together on a line while Crosby gets his own line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Staal-Crosby-Iginla was the 2010 line. I think Giroux would make a perfect replacement for Iginla but if not then just try Nash on that line or put in Stamkos
Why should Canada try to recreate a line that didn't work in 2010? Things might be different with Stamkos, but Crosby and Nash didn't work in 2010 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Nash-Toews-Richards was a powerful line for Canada in 10, no need to change it. 3rd line against Russia but 1st against USA.
I agree. Throw that line out there again and hope it still works. If not, those guys are all versatile enough to fit in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Marleau-Thornton-Heatly You might be able to replace this entire line. The big rink is huge factor. But i really think we all underrate Thornton. Big guy on faceoffs, pose on the PP and theres real no reason to replace this line just replace Marlaeu with either Jamie Benn or Jordan Staal
This line did almost nothing at 2010 and there is no reason to recreate it. Marleau is the player I would be most likely to bring back because of his skating and the valuable two way play he provided in 2010. Bringing this line back for 2014 and replacing Marleau with Benn or J. Staal is just asking to get picked apart on international ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Morrow-Getzlaf-Perry Morrow might be the only one need to be replaced. You can replace him with Giroux. I think Giroux speed on this line would come in handy.
I don't trust Getzlaf as a centre on international ice. He just doesn't skate well enough at this point, and like Thornton he can't really be put at wing either. Perry is the only guy I would salvage from this line, and that's mainly because he's a natural winger who brings a different element from most guys under consideration.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
The beauty of Canada is that have so much talent and size. They can put out 4 even lines of even playing time and be valuable. But that big rink is a factor. Eberle speed would be useful but Benn would be useful on PK and hes not a slowpoke either. If anything you can replace Thornton with Eberle and have

Crosby, Staal, Stamkos
Toews, Nash, Richards
Getzlaf, Perry, Benn
Eberle, Giroux, Heatly
There's no reason for Tavares to be missing. After what he's done internationally already and his last season in the NHL he looks essentially like a lock.

JackSlater is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.