HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Duchene's lockout adventure in Europe

Old
10-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I don't get why Joel Lundqvist didn't stick in NHL. Good checking line skill and will be able to contribute some offense.

I think Stålberg is a pretty good linemate for Duchene. I'm not a huge fan of his game, but he has good speed and knows how to go to the net when he had a player like Duchene to play with. Duchene likes to draw defenders in and that should create some space for his linemates.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
Nice spin pass from Duchene. I know he got a lot of heat from doing it without success last season, but I think that it was more a timing thing rather than it simply not working in the NHL.

Hopefully his confidence comes back playing in Sweden. thanks for the highlights
I'm not sure how I feel about him doing the spins, but I tend to agree about the timing. When he was playing uber confident hockey, and at his best, the spin moves would work perfectely every time.

Not sure if the problem is his ability to make it work consistently, or the broader issue of his mental approach to the game.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

This assist was just opening up a passing lane. It's when he keeps spinning in the corner without looking up that it's a big problem.

He's a fast, shifty guy that is excellent in 1on1 situations. If he plays to his strengths even the odd spin will be an asset.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Slenke

vCash: 500
Hopefully Hank will join Frölunda soon..

Slenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Slenke

3-2 to HV-71

Old
10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Slenke

End of second period, good game so far.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Slenke

Duchene tries his "spin-move" for a third time this evening - all unsuccessful.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Slenke

Frölunda lost.. 2-3

Old
10-15-2012, 02:22 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slenke View Post
Duchene tries his "spin-move" for a third time this evening - all unsuccessful.
Not always his fault. His teammates aren't very good and often simply can't handle the puck. He set up some nice plays today (with and without the spin-move) but his teammates lost the puck within a second. I really wished he played for a better team because I don't think he'll improve a lot playing for Frölunda. I noticed that he won most face-offs, though, which is great.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Slenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Not always his fault. His teammates aren't very good and often simply can't handle the puck. He set up some nice plays today (with and without the spin-move) but his teammates lost the puck within a second. I really wished he played for a better team because I don't think he'll improve a lot playing for Frölunda. I noticed that he won most face-offs, though, which is great.
What "better" teams do you have in mind? I can only think of either SEL, KHL or AHL.

I'd say he would've been better of without the spin-moves today. On at least one occasion the opposition clearly read his play and grabbed the puck. The more he uses those moves the worse he's off. They should be used sparsely and only wheen really needed because it's a risky move.

On a whole, the opposition was better today.

Last edited by Slenke: 10-15-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old
10-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Slenke

On a sidenote it seems that Loui Eriksson and Henrik Lundqvist will start training with Frölunda soon, and that usually means one thing..

And the Sedin twins might be heading to MoDo soon.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:17 PM
KRM

No points for Duchene today but he drew the penalty that lead to the PP where Frölunda scored their first goal, and he did a nice job screening the goalie on their second goal. So very much involved in the offensive game, made many nice plays but couldn't really finish them, Wesslau made a couple of nice saves.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
From what I saw Duchene could learn a lot from the structured, systematic style of play in the SEL.
I watched most of today's game and he was taking initiative and getting involved all the time on offense but he again isn't using his teammates like he should and is making low percentage plays. Also wasn't a big fan of his defensive game. That said he's adapting to a new team, in a new league, in a new country and I'll give him some time to settle in. I just hope that he uses this year as an opportunity to work out those kinks

Nihiliste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:16 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
What "better" teams do you have in mind? I can only think of either SEL, KHL or AHL.

I'd say he would've been better of without the spin-moves today. On at least one occasion the opposition clearly read his play and grabbed the puck. The more he uses those moves the worse he's off. They should be used sparsely and only wheen really needed because it's a risky move.

On a whole, the opposition was better today.
I don't know because I'm not very familiar with the SEL. There have to be better teams than Frölunda in that league, though. I think the SEL is a good league but at least yesterday Duchene's teammates looked very weak imo.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Slenke

Quote:
I don't know because I'm not very familiar with the SEL. There have to be better teams than Frölunda in that league, though. I think the SEL is a good league but at least yesterday Duchene's teammates looked very weak imo.
The passing play yesterday looked really bad, they all seemed super-stressed. There are better teams in SEL, HV-71 and Brynäs are two of them. But I'd have to say that I'm impressed by MoDo this year and it might soon get even better if the Sedins decide to join up. That said, it looks like Loui Eriksson and perhaps Hank will join Frölunda.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I'd love to see Duchene and Loui play together

Nihiliste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:35 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I'd love to see Duchene and Loui play together
Yeah, that would be nice. Lundqvist in goal would be great, too, because every player should play in a calmer and more confident way then.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Slenke

Quote:
Yeah, that would be nice. Lundqvist in goal would be great, too, because every player should play in a calmer and more confident way then.
Sweden equalized from being down 0-4 to 4-4 against Germany in the soccer world cup qualifies in Berlin. Just saying.

But yeah, it would be really nice to have Lundqvist in the goal.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:18 AM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Sweden equalized from being down 0-4 to 4-4 against Germany in the soccer world cup qualifies in Berlin. Just saying.

Yeah and it was putrid.
Total domination for 64 minutes.
Honestly never seen a team blow a game like that.
To be honest I was not even mad. It was kinda funny.

I mean I don't want to sound arrogant or anything but I don't see Sweden or anyone in this group as a real obstacle for us.

I mean we dominated at will. To lose this game it took one of the greatest collapses ( thankgod it was only in a qualifyer) and a blatant missed call on the 4 4 to make this happen.

Could be the mental breakdown this team needs to finally get the mindset to win something.
I mean we had an atricious putrid team from 1998 to 2004 and yet reached the WC finals on pure mental toughness.

After 2006 we suddenly had an influx of ridiculuosly talented players and now we lack that mental toughness we always had. Maybe this loss helps. So I am not mad. I am mad about the Eagles losing on Sunday.
But as a fan of Sweden I would have loved this game as well. So I hope you guys enjoyed it . But I feel that the rematch in Stockholm (?) just got a ton harder for you guys .

Back on Topic:
My hope is that over there Matty spent some time with a good coach (dunno how good Frolundas coach is) who cracked down on his playingstyle and enforced a team first mentality.
I see that lacking a little bit from Matt lately.
If I see one more game of thousand spinmove turnovers this year I ll probably throw something at my screen. But then again that would mean that the lockout would be over. So maybe watching Duchene auditioning for Dancing with the Stars would not be a bad thing

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about him doing the spins, but I tend to agree about the timing. When he was playing uber confident hockey, and at his best, the spin moves would work perfectely every time.

Not sure if the problem is his ability to make it work consistently, or the broader issue of his mental approach to the game.
I don't remember Duchene's stupid spins ever working.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:05 AM
Slenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Yeah and it was putrid.
Total domination for 64 minutes.
Honestly never seen a team blow a game like that.
To be honest I was not even mad. It was kinda funny.

I mean I don't want to sound arrogant or anything but I don't see Sweden or anyone in this group as a real obstacle for us.

I mean we dominated at will. To lose this game it took one of the greatest collapses ( thankgod it was only in a qualifyer) and a blatant missed call on the 4 4 to make this happen.

Could be the mental breakdown this team needs to finally get the mindset to win something.
I mean we had an atricious putrid team from 1998 to 2004 and yet reached the WC finals on pure mental toughness.

After 2006 we suddenly had an influx of ridiculuosly talented players and now we lack that mental toughness we always had. Maybe this loss helps. So I am not mad. I am mad about the Eagles losing on Sunday.
But as a fan of Sweden I would have loved this game as well. So I hope you guys enjoyed it . But I feel that the rematch in Stockholm (?) just got a ton harder for you guys .

Back on Topic:
My hope is that over there Matty spent some time with a good coach (dunno how good Frolundas coach is) who cracked down on his playingstyle and enforced a team first mentality.
I see that lacking a little bit from Matt lately.
If I see one more game of thousand spinmove turnovers this year I ll probably throw something at my screen. But then again that would mean that the lockout would be over. So maybe watching Duchene auditioning for Dancing with the Stars would not be a bad thing
You mean when you play us at the new Friends arena in Stockholm? That should be an interesting game for sure.

But you have to give us credit for not giving up, taking the game to a more physical level and meter by meter gaining ground and outplay the German defense. The German defense played quite arrogant as if they've already won, but when they lowered their guard we clawed back.

Also, one of the German goals was a hand-goal so it evens out in the end.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:51 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:

I couldn't believe what I was seeing yesterday. Then I read about the new offer made by the NHL and everything was good again. A complete season without Duchene's usually slow October? I'll take it.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

3 minutes played.

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#50704657b7523

Duchene on the ice for a GA. What a sloppy defensive play by the Defenders there.

On a side note, our prospect Joachim Nermark is playing for Linköpings on the 4th line. No 21

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:19 PM
electricjib

I've noticed Nermark more than Duchene for whatever that counts for.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Yeah, MD is having an awful outing tonight.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote