HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Hockey Central Evaluates Leafs

Old
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
nsleaf

vCash: 500
Well I am not surprised by thier opinions. Some of it is valid. The Leafs absolutely imploded last season just when they should have been picking up thier play for the push to the playoffs and IMO that tends to happen when your team lacks Character, Talent, and Leadership along with suspect Defence and Goaltending. I am a huge Leaf's fan but sometimes the truth hurts. No where to go but up, I hope!!

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Sportsnet sucks, and the bottom 9 teams in the east can all be interchangeable TBH

Rangers, Pens, Bruins, Flyers, Caps, and Hurricanes are likely to be the top 6

Devils, Sens, Jets, Sabres, Lightning, Leafs, Panthers, Islanders, and Habs are all average to bad teams who can slot anywehre.
Agreed and I would think that the Rags are the East powerhouse this year with the acquisition of Nash to an already stacked team. The Crosby penguins lack depth at D and in the minors. Bruins are still at the top of their game and may be the toughest team in the NHL. Flyers and Caps could go either way, and I dont believe they are guaranteed anything. I just don't see them as tough teams. Hurricanes made a huge improvement to their roster that was average last year. Average gets you close to the playoffs, but the additions get them in.

Devils lost some players including a star. Sens are possibly a 7 or 8 seed. We can't say we improved and not the sens. As much as I dislike them, they are young and skilled going up. Jets and Sabres are flat out, not as good as us. Miller has lost a step and they lost Roy, which was their heart and soul guy. Lightning are not very deep at this present time but have 4 very young talented guys up front and on D. Last year was good development for them. The panthers I think improved also but their hopes lay with Versteeg mostly. He had a great year last year. But the main thing about Florida is there slightly better than average depth. No superstars, but all very good. Plus, they have a very good prospect pool. Islanders are young and improving, but lack D depth and tending consistency. The Habs will finish dead last in the East. they have a coach that is just MEH, they lack firepower and D depth. Price is their one guy that can save them day in and day out, but that gets tiring. If Price has a mediocre year, Habs will suffer big time with a 70 point year.

Now for us. Sure, I am a biased leaf fan, but my predictions for 3 of the last 4 years have been spot on.

My opinion changes depending on if we get Loungo or not. If we do not get him and a top center, then I predict we finish 11th in the East.

With Loungo, then that changes things and we become the 8th seed in the East. That also gives Burke more time to get us that center that we all covet so much. This is the year Burke needs to get us into the playoffs. Think about the big picture. He will do what he needs to do, to justify staying in toronto. He will want an extension. To get that, there are no more excuses.

With the acquisition of Loungo and a top center we are golden and should challange for the 4th and 5th seed. We are loaded with depth and a very good prospect pool being taught by a very good AHL coach.

But, expect this guys and girls, if we get a top center, you can expect either Gardiner or Reilly going the other way. To get something good, we will have to give up something good.

We have a much better coach. It will be even better if Kulemin has a big bounce back year.

Maclement is a great depth guy with toughness and can skate. Fact is, we are loaded with bottom 6 talent.

As for Komarov making the team, I think that is wishful thinking. I have been watching the marlies games and for what ever reason he just doesnt seem to fit in. Maybe in time he will, but certainly is not NHL ready by a long shot.

All and all, we need to drop the puck.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:15 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pringles View Post
Remember that time Maclean worked for Columbus? Yeah... I'll take what he says with a grain of salt, when evaluating teams.

You're talking about a guy, who would of drafted Brassard over Toews, Kessel. He would of taken him with the 2nd overall pick.
He has been a NHL coach, GM, President, but he lacks the hindsight to become an elite HFBoarder? What a shame.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Even if that did happen Kesler is out until Janurary because of surgery. So if the season starts on November 2 as the NHL wants it to happen, he won't be able to help right away.
Correct, I forgot about that. I'll still take him though. Helluva player.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
oh, well if a titanic hockey mind like Doug Maclean says so...
hahahaha lmfao!! you made me sqirt beer out of my nose, and a maconalds cheese burger out my A$$!!

Old
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i would be pretty surprised if the leafs finished dead last in the east. when the leafs absolutely bottomed out and finished 2nd last in the whole league it was surprising. looking at the leafs roster as it stands today in comparison to that team i really dont see it. also are the islanders, habs, florida, buffalo all substantially better then the leafs?

obviously we have holes but i dont think this is the worst team in the conference.
I present the worst depth chart in the league

Goalies
Sergei Bobrovsky
Steve Mason

Defensemen
Jack Johnson
James Wisniewski
Nikita Nikitin
Fedor Tyutin
John Moore
Adrian Aucoin

Left Wings
Vinny Prospal
Nick Foligno
Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Russell

Centers
Derick Brassard
Artem Anisimov
Ryan Johansen
Mark Letestu

Right Wings
R.J. Umberger
Cam Atkinson
Derek Dorsett
Jared Boll

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:24 PM
daveleaf

You guys can argue about this all you want but until this team proves otherwise they are what they are. Doormats!! Not our fault, it's on Burke's hands.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Donmega

I'm fine with dead last if it guarantees Mackinnon, unfortunately it's never guaranteed. But if we still suck next season I think I am done with the leafs for a couple years.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
I'm fine with dead last if it guarantees Mackinnon, unfortunately it's never guaranteed. But if we still suck next season I think I am done with the leafs for a couple years.
If we suck this season and add one of the elite prospects i'd think you'd get over our dismal season pretty quick .

If these draft prospects become as good as there projected then one more brutal year is a small price to pay for 15 years of entertaining hockey .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
If that did happen and the Toronto feel from the 1st overall to 2nd overall assuming they finished 30th overall, the only way I can see Mackinnon going to the Maple Leafs at #2 overall is if the Oilers got the 1st pick once again. After three straight years of taking forwards you would think they want a Defensman in Seth Jones.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

It's funny, I was listening to it at lunch. I heard McLean say "Worst team in the Eastern Conference" and then I turned it off. I see enough of that negative, unsubstantiated crap on these boards enough.

Diamond Joe Quimby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
It's funny, I was listening to it at lunch. I heard McLean say "Worst team in the Eastern Conference" and then I turned it off. I see enough of that negative, unsubstantiated crap on these boards enough.
Attention seekers, pretty sad.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

unbelievable

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Attention seekers, pretty sad.
I'm not trying to be negative but where no you guys project us to finish all things being equal ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

We are worse than Islanders..... LOL.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
BAhAHAHAHAHA ! I just laughed. Um Islanders say a BIG Hello and hi. Don't get my wrong they got solid players but that management is just digging deeper into the ground and making a cave for the next zombie apocalypse or something.
Uhhh...so..like..you haven't looked at the Isles have you?

The Leafs have a very small defense now wiht only bottom pairing Holzer and Komi looking like they could put up with PK time against high skilled or big bodied players. They don't have a top center, the third line is still a giant mess, and the only thing to the Leafs credit is the top six. And even then you're missing the biggest component, a quality 1st line center. Oh and the goaltending is suspect too.

The Isles look to roll into this season with:

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Nino - Nielsen - Grabner
Bailey - Cizikas - Boyes
Martin - Reasoner - Ullstrom

So basically a forward group that lacks in nothing. Maybe size? Very skilled unit with good two-way guys and a bottom line that can play extra minutes and toss the mitts.

Streit - Hamonic
Visnosky - MacDonald
Carkner - Donovan

A defense with a lot of 2nd pairing guys. Hamonic is really the only #1 but its not like MacDonald, Donovan, Visnosky or Streit are slouches. All could easily line up on 2nd pairings of any team. Carkner for toughness is great too.

Nabokov
DiPietro

Nabby is still a good goalie.

So you think this team, which is full of talent but has an unexperienced forward group but supports that with veterans on D and in goal will somehow do worse then the Leafs? The only issue is the division they're in and even then they can still make a case for the 6-8 spot in the conference.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:13 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Of course partly this is just nonsense that they can spout because they know we aren't seeing any hockey any time soon. Can say whatever one wants when the games aren't happening.

Though we weren't that far behind the Islanders and Montreal last year, so won't say they are 100% off.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Sam Slick*

My predictions:

1-NYR-Powerhouse, will compete for the cup
2-Bos-Arguably the toughest, meanest team in the league This is the team I thought we were getting.
3-Carolina-Team with the second biggest improvement.
4-Pittsburg-Forward depth including the worlds best centers n Crosby and Malkin.
5-Leafs-But only if Burke has Loungo and gets the top center we need.
6-Philly
7-Washington
8-Florida

9-Ottawa
10-New Jersey
11-Winnepeg
12-Buffalo
13-Tampa
14-Islanders
15-Montreal

You can hold me to it. If we only get Loungo and not the center, then we will drop to 8th. If we don't get either, we drop to 11th with everyone in front of us moving up.

If the latter is the case, we will be looking for a new Gm. It either of the first two scenario's happen, Burke gets extended for 2 to 3 years.

I must add though, I think Burke is also looking for a big bodied, top end shut down D man to fill out our team. Just my opinion on that one.

Old
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Its really unfortunate that 90% of last season gets "forgotten" by the experts. I get it we missed the playoffs but still majority of last season we were in a playoff spot.
90%? Seems you've forgotten a large % --like the entire second half. Hate to say it, those "experts" have been right an awful lot the last 4 years.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:17 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
My predictions:

2-Bos-Arguably the toughest, meanest team in the league This is the team I thought we were getting.
4-Pittsburg-Forward depth including the worlds best centers n Crosby and Malkin.
6-Philly
7-Washington
8-Florida

9-Ottawa
10-New Jersey
11-Winnepeg
12-Buffalo
13-Tampa
14-Islanders
15-Montreal

You can hold me to it. If we only get Loungo and not the center, then we will drop to 8th. If we don't get either, we drop to 11th with everyone in front of us moving up.

If the latter is the case, we will be looking for a new Gm. It either of the first two scenario's happen, Burke gets extended for 2 to 3 years.
Absolutely no reason to rank the Leafs there except for blind homerism.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:19 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
My predictions:

6-Philly
7-Washington
8-Florida

9-Ottawa
10-New Jersey
11-Winnepeg
12-Buffalo
13-Tampa
14-Islanders
15-Montreal

I must add though, I think Burke is also looking for a big bodied, top end shut down D man to fill out our team. Just my opinion on that one.

hahahahahaha....some guys really kill me.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:26 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
We are worse than Islanders..... LOL.
Plus the Islanders have finished in the bottom 5 of the NHL standings sicne the 2007-2008 season because it's shown in their draft positions in the 1st round.

2008 - 5th overall later traded to Toronto.

2009 - 1st overall

2010 - 5th overall

2011 - 5th overall

2012 - 4th overall

If a team has been getting draft picks that always end up in the top 5 and it's happened to them five years in a row, something must be wrong because they should be contending more in the Eastern Conference.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Plus the Islanders have finished in the bottom 5 of the NHL standings sicne the 2007-2008 season because it's shown in their draft positions in the 1st round.

2008 - 5th overall later traded to Toronto.

2009 - 1st overall

2010 - 5th overall

2011 - 5th overall

2012 - 4th overall

If a team has been getting draft picks that always end up in the top 5 and it's happened to them five years in a row, something must be wrong because they should be contending more in the Eastern Conference.
The isles also had Milbury running their team in the early 2000s who pretty much ****ed them out of any quality prospects longterm. -Connolly, Chara, Spezza, Luongo +DiPietro

They're building off pretty much nothing. Mid 2000 Isles were a collection of journeymen and DP. Its similar to the Leafs of right now.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Uhhh...so..like..you haven't looked at the Isles have you?

The Leafs have a very small defense now wiht only bottom pairing Holzer and Komi looking like they could put up with PK time against high skilled or big bodied players. They don't have a top center, the third line is still a giant mess, and the only thing to the Leafs credit is the top six. And even then you're missing the biggest component, a quality 1st line center. Oh and the goaltending is suspect too.

The Isles look to roll into this season with:

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Nino - Nielsen - Grabner
Bailey - Cizikas - Boyes
Martin - Reasoner - Ullstrom

So basically a forward group that lacks in nothing. Maybe size? Very skilled unit with good two-way guys and a bottom line that can play extra minutes and toss the mitts.

Streit - Hamonic
Visnosky - MacDonald
Carkner - Donovan

A defense with a lot of 2nd pairing guys. Hamonic is really the only #1 but its not like MacDonald, Donovan, Visnosky or Streit are slouches. All could easily line up on 2nd pairings of any team. Carkner for toughness is great too.

Nabokov
DiPietro

Nabby is still a good goalie.

So you think this team, which is full of talent but has an unexperienced forward group but supports that with veterans on D and in goal will somehow do worse then the Leafs? The only issue is the division they're in and even then they can still make a case for the 6-8 spot in the conference.
Sorry EDGE, Im going to have to challenge you on this one my friend.

Lups > Moulson
Tavares > Bozak
Kessel >>Okposo

Mac > Nino
Grabo > Nielson
Kulemin >> Grabner

3rd line is a match

Brown >>> Ullstrom
Reasoner >> Steckel
maclement > Ulstrom

Now the D:

Phaneuf > Hamonic
Gunnarson > Streit
Liles = Visnovsky
Macdonald >>> Franson
Gardiner >> Carkner
Donovan >> Komisarek.

Thats 11 players to 4 with the 3rd line being a wash.

Both isles goalies are better than ours for now.

Again, IMO, Isles are much weaker than many think, plus, their management could trade the first line to Columbus for Dubinsky, they are that stupid.

give this team 3 years of develoment and things will be different, if they stay together.

Old
10-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Absolutely no reason to rank the Leafs there except for blind homerism.
I ranked them their based on Burke getting a big 1A center and Loungo. Did you not read that part?