HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Scherban fired as Lu coach

Old
10-18-2012, 02:49 PM
thook

vCash: 500
Scherban fired as Lu coach

Joel scherban is done with lakehead. Players skipped practice this week and held a players only meeting. Today Joel was fired 4 games into a new 3 year contract

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
WilcoxHound

The tail wags the dog. I hope there is more to this than disgruntled players.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:26 PM
SnipeShow91

Inmates running the asylum. And they are a good team too with lots of talented guys. Probably not the smartest decision to walk out on practice and get him fired. Similar to Dylan Taylor at UPEI

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:53 PM
lakeheadu

My thoughts on the Scherban firing:

It had to happen. Did it have to happen in this manner? No. I feel bad for him in the sense that he was put in a position to fail. He had no experience at all, yet was given the head coaching job. Cant fault the guy for accepting the position, but it was a very questionable hiring from the beginning. Why not hire him as an assistant or in some sort of lesser role for a while?

I think that this was the only way that he would have been fired any time soon, whether he deserved to be or not. I think he had, and would have continued to have, a very long leash in terms of being fired over poor performance. I do believe that he was fired solely because of the apparent walkout by the players. At the same time, I feel that there were legit reasons to at least strongly consider the move either way, and there have been for a while.

The team (and/or coach) looked lost at times. Over his time as head coach, we lost far too many games to teams that we had no business losing to. We were weak on the road and seemed to have a tendency to lay down in the 2nd game against weaker teams, thinking we would just roll over them as we did the previous night. Joel seemed to always place the blame on the players, which couldnt have made them happy.

This team is extremely talented and should be able to make a legit push for the OUA West title. I'd be disappointed with anything less. The only Lakehead team that I think was as deep as this one would be the team we had the 2nd year we hosted nationals. I will definitely give Joel credit for bringing in some big time talent the past couple of years. I'm very happy with the team we have.

I'd say the players put some added pressure on themselves to perform by seemingly outing the coach. Hopefully they step up and can consistently play up to their potential. This can be a very fun team to watch if that happens. We're still 3-1 and have played without our best defenceman, and arguably our best player from last season, in Fillman. Western comes to town next weekend for 2 huge games, which could end up determining if we have a shot at 1st place at the end of the season.

lakeheadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Why give him a 3 year deal?

This sounds like the Bombers.

Tough spot for the school but all they could do now to stay in budget would be to cancel any tours.

BTW this never worked out too well at PEI.

Hollywood3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:08 PM
WilcoxHound

I've seen this happen before and there have been very few benefits until the new coach can have the time to establish his style and systems on the team. In this situation that will begin to be seen a couple years from now.
It is so wrong to give the players this type of leverage. Even if they as a group were convinced it was the right thing to do. You can now expect the team to be shattered into cliques; those who demanded he leave, those who choose not to be politically involved and those in the middle. How can animosity not grow in such an environment. Chemistry is so important for team success and it sounds as if the kettle has exploded.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:16 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Why give him a 3 year deal?

This sounds like the Bombers.

Tough spot for the school but all they could do now to stay in budget would be to cancel any tours.

BTW this never worked out too well at PEI.
Depends how you look at the UPEI situation, they have been better since, although I have high respect for Dylan Taylor and the effort he put in to turn around the struggling program in a very competitive league

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:20 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeheadu View Post
My thoughts on the Scherban firing:

It had to happen. Did it have to happen in this manner? No. I feel bad for him in the sense that he was put in a position to fail. He had no experience at all, yet was given the head coaching job. Cant fault the guy for accepting the position, but it was a very questionable hiring from the beginning. Why not hire him as an assistant or in some sort of lesser role for a while?

I think that this was the only way that he would have been fired any time soon, whether he deserved to be or not. I think he had, and would have continued to have, a very long leash in terms of being fired over poor performance. I do believe that he was fired solely because of the apparent walkout by the players. At the same time, I feel that there were legit reasons to at least strongly consider the move either way, and there have been for a while.

The team (and/or coach) looked lost at times. Over his time as head coach, we lost far too many games to teams that we had no business losing to. We were weak on the road and seemed to have a tendency to lay down in the 2nd game against weaker teams, thinking we would just roll over them as we did the previous night. Joel seemed to always place the blame on the players, which couldnt have made them happy.

This team is extremely talented and should be able to make a legit push for the OUA West title. I'd be disappointed with anything less. The only Lakehead team that I think was as deep as this one would be the team we had the 2nd year we hosted nationals. I will definitely give Joel credit for bringing in some big time talent the past couple of years. I'm very happy with the team we have.

I'd say the players put some added pressure on themselves to perform by seemingly outing the coach. Hopefully they step up and can consistently play up to their potential. This can be a very fun team to watch if that happens. We're still 3-1 and have played without our best defenceman, and arguably our best player from last season, in Fillman. Western comes to town next weekend for 2 huge games, which could end up determining if we have a shot at 1st place at the end of the season.

I would have to agree with you, I dont know as much as you guys from Ontario but i was puzzled from the get go on Pete Beliveau's firing (although thats now a subject in itself cause of the Dalhousie situation)

i just feel Lakehead was on the verge of greatness Big Attendance, seemed to be get stronger each year until Sherban took over, I don't feel he did anything to help Lakehead put a strong team together for their two year hosting of the Nationals, in fact I think Lakeheads two weakest teams since they first came into the League were those 2 seasons when In fact Hosting nationals should give you a boost for recruitment

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote