HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Manchester Monarchs Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
There's nothing wrong with criticizing Pearson and Toffoli. Pearson still seems like a questionable pick, and Toffoli probably won't pan out (just being realistic here). Not that I don't trust Dean's scouts and his drafting, where he is top notch. But no one is perfect
How is that realistic?

Old
10-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Are people expecting hat tricks and tons of fights and assists after two AHL games? Remember Patrick O'Sullivan and Justin Papineau tearing up the minors? Where are they now? We don't know how these kids will turn out, but for christsakes, they're both 20 year olds in their first season in the AHL, and they've barely just started playing in the minors.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Johnny Utah

What about Eric Healey, Derek Beker, Pavel Rosa, Noah Clarke, and Scott Barney?

Old
10-18-2012, 09:48 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
How is that realistic?
In all fairness, it's not a large percentage of 2nd rounders who make it in the NHL. Not to say it's realistic to single Toffoli out in particular, but it's probably realistic to think that a 2nd rounder won't have a successful NHL career.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:48 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
In all fairness, it's not a large percentage of 2nd rounders who make it in the NHL. Not to say it's realistic to single Toffoli out in particular, but it's probably realistic to think that a 2nd rounder won't have a successful NHL career.
What I'm saying is that being a second rounder he will require more time. If anyone expects immediate results like that of a high end top 5 pick they will be let down for a while. To dump on his play after a couple games is not realistic.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
What I'm saying is that being a second rounder he will require more time. If anyone expects immediate results like that of a high end top 5 pick they will be let down for a while. To dump on his play after a couple games is not realistic.
I agree. And considering DL's track record in the 2nd round all the more reason to be patient. Since DL put his mark on drafting/development, he's excelled at that slot. Moller (some NHL), Simmonds (NHL), Voynov (NHL), Clifford (NHL) from 2007-2009. Those are some solid guys right there. Toffoli needs more development, and the Kings are in a great position to give it to him.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:52 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I agree. And considering DL's track record in the 2nd round all the more reason to be patient. Since DL put his mark on drafting/development, he's excelled at that slot. Moller (some NHL), Simmonds (NHL), Voynov (NHL), Clifford (NHL) from 2007-2009. Those are some solid guys right there. Toffoli needs more development, and the Kings are in a great position to give it to him.
Right!! Besides, we knew it would take time to transition to this style hockey. That and the way Manchester works players in I assumed it would take quite some time to make a dent over here.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:01 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Interview with Lombardi who is in Manchester along with Sutter for the weekend's games.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...33/1003/sports

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 10-19-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old
10-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
There's nothing wrong with criticizing Pearson and Toffoli. Pearson still seems like a questionable pick, and Toffoli probably won't pan out (just being realistic here). Not that I don't trust Dean's scouts and his drafting, where he is top notch. But no one is perfect
Let's give newcomers to the pro game some time before we "realistically" criticize them.

Old
10-19-2012, 07:06 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Let's give newcomers to the pro game some time before we "realistically" criticize them.
This is very true. You could look at every one on the Manchester roster besides maybe Nolan and find some reason to complain about, that kind of comes with being a minor league hockey player. You could complain about Loki still existent inability and willingness to go into the corners and fight for the puck. You could complain Nic Deslauriers is still struggling mightily transitioning to the pro game and still looks like he has no "tool box." But it's been what 5 games, 3 of which were preseason? Far to early to be all "OMG Bust! (insert player name) SuXs!

Old
10-19-2012, 11:21 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

As per mayor's manor Dwight King has signed a AHL contract with the Manchester Monarchs

Although he's not expected to be in tonight's home opener verse the Providence Bruins

Old
10-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

King will be on the top line, which is going to push somebody out. I'm thinking that a couple of players may be reassigned to Ontario.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
King will be on the top line, which is going to push somebody out. I'm thinking that a couple of players may be reassigned to Ontario.
Weal, Meckler, Clune, O'Neill, and perhaps Pearson on the short list? Those are the main guys I can think of that are somewhat redundant. Legien and Cliche hava a better two way game than Weal, Meckler is just sort of a spare anyway, Andreoff and Nolan make Clune's role pointless, and Kozun replaces O'Neill, Pearson since it's easy to send a rookie down...

Old
10-19-2012, 02:24 PM
TKFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
As per mayor's manor Dwight King has signed a AHL contract with the Manchester Monarchs

Although he's not expected to be in tonight's home opener verse the Providence Bruins
Great news, looking forward to seeing King back in the Monarchs lineup soon

Old
10-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Johnny Utah

Is this game streamed online?

Old
10-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Is this game streamed online?
No clue, but not sure you'd want to watch. They're trailing 3-0.

Old
10-19-2012, 07:06 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
No clue, but not sure you'd want to watch. They're trailing 3-0.
3-2 now.

edit: Toffoli gets his first goal as a Monarch on the PP. 4-3 PBruins

Last edited by TwoForRoughing: 10-19-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 08:25 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

And Manch picks up its first loss of the season, despite dominating the Bruins. Jones let in a couple soft goals early on.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:27 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Yeah I didn't watch a lot of the game due to Connor McDavid playing on the NHL Network but Jones was not good. First goal was a Jonathan Quick level flub of playing the puck. Was just dumb. Nice to know even our young goalies can't play the puck.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

If Pearson ends up in the ECHL it's bad news for him and the Kings. Based on history, when a former 1st round pick (non-goalie) ends up in the ECHL, his chances of having an NHL career are very very slim. The Kings had no choice with Teubert, he was just that bad. I think they'll be more forgiving with Pearson. He is a good player who should be able to be a quality AHL player this year.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:11 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
If Pearson ends up in the ECHL it's bad news for him and the Kings. Based on history, when a former 1st round pick (non-goalie) ends up in the ECHL, his chances of having an NHL career are very very slim. The Kings had no choice with Teubert, he was just that bad. I think they'll be more forgiving with Pearson. He is a good player who should be able to be a quality AHL player this year.
I wouldnt say that this year. With king nolon and loti back in man. it has to push others off the roster, If pearson ends up in the echl it maybe just because they want him to get top 6 time and theres no room right now in mancheaster. I wouldnt be worryed about him making it just means it will be a extra year till he gets there.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
rick3652

Quote:
Pearson was a first round pick in his third year in the draft. Not his first or second so he is not like a first round pick. he could go back to the ohl instead

Last edited by rick3652: 10-19-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 09:25 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
All true and I honestly think it'll be someone like Meckler or Clune that'll get demoted if anyone does. But I don't see a demotion to the ECHl for a handful of games to be a death sentence especially nowadays, especially during a lockout season because three forwards (at least two) that should be in the NHL are taking your spot. Burrows, Parse, Andre Roy, Rich Peverley, and Dwight King spent time there and they've carved out some decent careers. Not saying it will happen but if it does not it's time to read his eulogy.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:08 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Went to tonight's game. As someone else said, Monarchs I thought outplayed the Bruins tonight. I think they had twice as many shots on goal but they made some really bad turnovers and the Bruins capitalized on them and that was the game. Voynov and Loktionov tagged teamed up on stupidity on the 4th goal. Voynov got a delay of game when he just blatantly flipped the puck over the boards, then Loktionov really did a number. Had the puck in the Bruins zone but instead of just dumping it in further he decided to turn around and skate back into the neutral zone with the puck where he tried to spin around and shoot it into the b's zone only problem was he had 3 bruins on him and he threw it right into their skates, then attempted a diving stick check, which he completely missed on and that directly lead to the Bruins 4th and eventual game winning goal. Lotki knew it though. Dude looked like he wanted crawl in a whole and die... none the less they looked good other then that.

As for Pearson he played a good game tonight. Had two great scoring chances but I think he was squeezing the stick a little too tight. Probably nerves. Being his first game in front of the home crowd, but he looked good. I don't think he'll be sent down. Not really sure if anyone will be. With the Monarchs often playing 3 game in 2 and 1/2 days that kind of depth can be very useful in the AHL.

Although if anyone is sent down now that Dwight King is coming in. My bet is on Justin Johnson. Hasn't played in any games yet (regular season or pre-season)

Rich Clune won't be going anywhere. Plays a pretty good game. TONS of energy. Will fight anyone (had 2 fights tonight and goal!) and is a fan favorite.

Last edited by CTKingsFan: 10-20-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old
10-20-2012, 12:37 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Closed Thread