HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Central Evaluates Leafs

Old
10-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Sam Slick*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I think it's more that the Islanders were consistently bad, whereas the Leafs were in a playoff spot for around 70% of the season before crashing and burning. That Islanders squad is terrible, especially when considering Niederreiter is being written into the top 9 and he had 1 goal (and point) in 50+ games last year.
Agreed.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Tavares >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bozak
Bozak 18 goals on 109 shots in 73 games. Pro rated points to 56

Tavares 31 goals on 286 shots in all 82 games.

Bozak way better shooting percentage. Waaaaaaay better.

Tavares is the better center, and I would take him every day of the week over Bozak, but also remember....if bozak took 296 shots at his shooting percentage, he would have about 50 goals.

Tavares -6 on the first line where he racked up 81 points.
Bozak -7 on 47 points.

Tavares is a great player playing first line minutes, Bozak is a capable 3rd line player playing first line minutes.

Tavares has 7 power play goals in 82 games and all first line pp minutes
Bozak has 4 pp goals in 73 games and limited PP time.

Tavares 19 assists
Bozak 11 assists.

Just saying.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Sam Slick, wake up from your dream of us being fifth, the biggest homer posts omg.
Brody wake up and learn how to read. I said "IF".

Acquiring the big center is the big "IF"

If we already have Loungo, then you will eat this post soon enough.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
You have a team with some of the weakest goaltending in the league. You have a team that is soft and run out of buildings against teams like Boston. You have a team that is prone to mental and defensive lapses at key times in the games. You have a non-playoff team is what you have.
What other buildings were we run out of? Boston had our number and they are big, strong and fast. We are not there yet. We had no problem against the Capitol. Florida gave us fits but didnt run us out of the building.

Come on, you have to have some foresight with our improvments. We added speed, size and coaching with systems.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post

Tavares is the better center, and I would take him every day of the week over Bozak, but also remember....if bozak took 296 shots at his shooting percentage, he would have about 50 goals.

Bozak -7 on 47 points.

Tavares is a great player playing first line minutes, Bozak is a capable 3rd line player playing first line minutes.

Tavares 19 assists
Bozak 11 assists.

Just saying.
Way better shooting percentage? Too bad Taveres creates about 3 times the chances. Not sure if you are being serious here comparing the two.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:49 PM
birddog*

Quote:
What other buildings were we run out of? Boston had our number and they are big, strong and fast. We are not there yet. We had no problem against the Capitol. Florida gave us fits but didnt run us out of the building.

Come on, you have to have some foresight with our improvments. We added speed, size and coaching with systems.
Improved. Yes. Problems still? Yes. Still weak goaltending, soft and mental breakdowns. Not enough to be projected as a contender. I do like the JVR trade but where's the goalie? Where's the centre? Where's the shutdown D? Leafs have 0 shutdown D.

These are all important pieces that can't be ignored. I'm not being a hater. It is fixable but the number one goalie and center are not easy -- and I'm not going to pretend Burke already has a deal in his back pocket.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Improved. Yes. Problems still? Yes. Still weak goaltending, soft and mental breakdowns. Not enough to be projected as a contender. I do like the JVR trade but where's the goalie? Where's the centre? Where's the shutdown D? Leafs have 0 shutdown D.

These are all important pieces that can't be ignored. I'm not being a hater. It is fixable but the number one goalie and center are not easy -- and I'm not going to pretend Burke already has a deal in his back pocket.
Hey, I am agreeing with you here. Burke needs to fill those holes you and I both mentioned. I tend to believe the rumors are true about there being a deal in place in principle for Loungo. I went to the Vancouver site and they are not denying it. so I hope thats one hole filled.

Most here say we have 2 holes. First line center and tender. But you and I both agree that we need a big a$$ed Shut down D man. Can Holzer be that? He is with the marlies and he is NHL ready, but not enough NHL experience in my opinion.

Realistically, we need to see that when these wholes are filled, our marlies will be much Different.

What about Ranger or Kotska. I have been watching those guys and they look great so far. Kotska is a rookie but was the AHL champs best D man. He is also a late bloomer because he did a full stint at college in the USA. He may be a diamond. I have yet to see him out of position from what I saw.

ps. BTW, Colborne has looked great.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Bozak -7 on 47 points.

Tavares 19 assists
Bozak 11 assists.

Just saying.
I hope your comparing Tavares to Bozak simply because of center position because ..

Matt Moulson has had 3 straight 30 goals seasons of 30, 31 and 36 goals compared to Kessel who had 30, 32 and 37 goals.

Therefore Kessel has outscored Moulson by 2 goals over 3 seasons combined and he is Leafs best player.

Tavares (age 21) is NYI best player who had 31 goals and 81 points which was good enough for 7th overall in NHL scoring and only a single point behind Kessel (age 24) who finished with 82 points in 6th spot. Tavares is scoring at Kessel's rate after 3 years, which took Phil 6 years to achieve.

Moulson = Kessel in goals
Tavares = Kessel in points

Just saying !!!

10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I hope your comparing Tavares to Bozak simply because of center position because ..

Matt Moulson has had 3 straight 30 goals seasons of 30, 31 and 36 goals compared to Kessel who had 30, 32 and 37 goals.

Therefore Kessel has outscored Moulson by 2 goals over 3 seasons combined and he is Leafs best player.

Tavares (age 21) is NYI best player who had 31 goals and 81 points which was good enough for 7th overall in NHL scoring and only a single point behind Kessel (age 24) who finished with 82 points in 6th spot. Tavares is scoring at Kessel's rate after 3 years, which took Phil 6 years to achieve.

Moulson = Kessel in goals
Tavares = Kessel in points

Just saying !!!
yes I was.

As for Mouson and Tavares being better than Kessel in goals for one and points for the other....Thats 2 contracts and 2 positions on ice for our One. I will take that every day of the week.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:18 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Hey, I am agreeing with you here. Burke needs to fill those holes you and I both mentioned. I tend to believe the rumors are true about there being a deal in place in principle for Loungo. I went to the Vancouver site and they are not denying it. so I hope thats one hole filled.

Most here say we have 2 holes. First line center and tender. But you and I both agree that we need a big a$$ed Shut down D man. Can Holzer be that? He is with the marlies and he is NHL ready, but not enough NHL experience in my opinion.

Realistically, we need to see that when these wholes are filled, our marlies will be much Different.

What about Ranger or Kotska. I have been watching those guys and they look great so far. Kotska is a rookie but was the AHL champs best D man. He is also a late bloomer because he did a full stint at college in the USA. He may be a diamond. I have yet to see him out of position from what I saw.

ps. BTW, Colborne has looked great.
We have more than 2 holes . We need a num 1 C/D/G as well as another shut down D and added grit/toughness throughout the lineup .

Kotsha a rookie ? He turns 27 in a few weeks and this is his 5th year in the minors .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:23 PM
bunjay

Hah, I listened to that segment today and I knew the homers here would be upset.

Just accept that this is how people who don`t cheer for Toronto see things. They see that our team has failed horribly over the past few years, that fundamentally nothing has changed about this team since last season, and they don`t have that eternal homer optimism that everything that could improve and go right will do just that.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:27 PM
showtime8

I can't say that I disagree with the guys at sportsnet. This team isn't improved and you are banking on a lot of variables. That isn't the best recipe for something positive to happen.

The problems that were there at the end of the year, remain unaddressed by Leafs top brass. Tim Connolly isn't miraculously going to stop being a band-aid, Lupul hasn't played a full season in the NHL and the Leafs are shocked that he gets injured and won't hold up, and the defence (which was the biggest issue) was resolved by shipping away Luke Schenn and bringing up a rookie that hasn't played a game in the NHL yet. Not to mention that relying on essentially the same goaltending duo that put up a terrible sv% and GAA.

Sorry boys and girls, the Leafs are not a good team.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:27 PM
RogerRoeper*

I don't see Burke taking on Luongo's contract.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:34 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
He has been a NHL coach, GM, President, but he lacks the hindsight to become an elite HFBoarder? What a shame.
Oh he's qualified to be an elite HF boarder. But on the radio? Nah.

Remember when he did a 180 and joined Balsillie for a week and ruined his reputation worse and now no one will ever let him back in the NHL? HAHA.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:35 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

this is a good listen.

you can't dismiss sportsnet, kypreos, mac, etc. especially if you're a fan of last year's 25th place team. look at our horrible special teams from the last 6 years. look at the unproven/poor goaltending we've had. how can you dismiss their opinion. we have not changed much as a team, and placing Kadri on the 2nd or 3rd line is not going to fix our gaping holes. if Burke makes changes like a 1C and a starting goalie then we'll re-evaluate the team. so will they! as for now there's too many holes. yes leadership, penalty killing, goaltending, and the defense are not good enough to be better than a bottom 5 team. we were not good enough last season and we still are not good enough.

have faith people. changes will come. we have to expect them if want to be better than the 2011-2012 Toronto Maple Leafs.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:36 PM
ponder

Quote:
Tavares > Bozak
Kulemin >> Grabner
Wait, the gap between Tavares and Bozak is smaller than the gap between Kulemin and Grabner? It's official, you do not watch hockey.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

The reality is, all it takes is a bounce-back year from Reimer and the Leafs likely make the playoffs.

Remember the shocking difference when we had a goalie post a .921 save % in Reimer's rookie year?

The biggest problem is not having no #1 centre, it's yearly goalies post sub. 900 save %.

If Reimer bounces back and Carlyle improves team defense, we're in.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:51 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

iTunes>Power Search>"Hockey Central">select subscribe free>DL today's episode.

the part about the TML is in the last 10 min. of the show.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Hah, I listened to that segment today and I knew the homers here would be upset.

Just accept that this is how people who don`t cheer for Toronto see things. They see that our team has failed horribly over the past few years, that fundamentally nothing has changed about this team since last season, and they don`t have that eternal homer optimism that everything that could improve and go right will do just that.
What! Are you kidding? Fundamentally I will give you 5 fundamental changes.
1JVR
2Maclement
3Carlyle, who brings 2 other changes.
3a, a defensive system
3b, a PK system.

Those are all things, fundamentally, that we didnt have last year?

I don't know why posters choose to ignore those things.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Its really unfortunate that 90% of last season gets "forgotten" by the experts. I get it we missed the playoffs but still majority of last season we were in a playoff spot.
90%? What season are you referring to?

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
We have more than 2 holes . We need a num 1 C/D/G as well as another shut down D and added grit/toughness throughout the lineup .

Kotsha a rookie ? He turns 27 in a few weeks and this is his 5th year in the minors .
He is not played in the NHL. When he does, he will be considered a rookie....to us. I cant remember what the cut off age is for being called a rookie anymore.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I don't see Burke taking on Luongo's contract.
I can't see it either....if it remains the same after the new CBA.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
this is a good listen.

you can't dismiss sportsnet, kypreos, mac, etc. especially if you're a fan of last year's 25th place team. look at our horrible special teams from the last 6 years. look at the unproven/poor goaltending we've had. how can you dismiss their opinion. we have not changed much as a team, and placing Kadri on the 2nd or 3rd line is not going to fix our gaping holes. if Burke makes changes like a 1C and a starting goalie then we'll re-evaluate the team. so will they! as for now there's too many holes. yes leadership, penalty killing, goaltending, and the defense are not good enough to be better than a bottom 5 team. we were not good enough last season and we still are not good enough.

have faith people. changes will come. we have to expect them if want to be better than the 2011-2012 Toronto Maple Leafs.
Those three stooges are buffoons. I will listen to Ferraro and Dreger over them every day of the week and they think that the Leafs will make it. TSN yes, sportsnot no.

These are the things that bug me the most. When people close there eyes to what is really going on.

You have a bad case of "old leaf" syndrome.

We have a new coach that brings in Defensive systems and a good PK system.
So what do you say to that? Is that not true? Are you just bored so thought you would come on here just to practice your typing skills? Am I the only person on these board that noticed we have a new coach?

Bad tending I agree with.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Whydidijoin*

Lol, good ol' Sportsnet. Can't do anything right.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Wait, the gap between Tavares and Bozak is smaller than the gap between Kulemin and Grabner? It's official, you do not watch hockey.
Really? So what is your list? did you make one so people can flame? I did, and most agree that I am fairly close.

Ps. Quite sure I have played more, watched more games than you and coached more than most.

I am 49. Been a leaf fan for 43 years. Seen almost every game, every season. Played Semi-pro in Germany for 3 years and coached for 22 years. Pictures tell a thousand words. I also played 8 games for team Canada in Soccer. When I was in New Zealand, I was a personal trainer for 12 NZ All Blacks. I have a pretty good knowledge of sports.

I am currently in training for Javelin for the Canada games. I am only 3 meters off our record. Not bad for an old guy.

ps. Sports has been partly responsible for the end of 3 marriages. I may be partly responsible too.