HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barthel...

Old
05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
The Viking Fury

vCash: 500
Barthel...

With Wotton and Nycholat being injured, does anybody think the Caps might sign him to get him in Hershey for added depth? I know we don't know the extent of Wotton and Nycholat's injuries yet, but if they don't heal enough in time we'll be short on the bench. I'm assuming though, that if Wotton and Nycho are pretty seriously injured that they would sign Barthel as soon as possible to get him practicing with the team.

This would seem to me to be Barthel's last window of opportunity before getting lost on the depth chart of prospects to make a break into this organization.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 11:16 AM
sk84fun_dc

I don't think the Caps will sign Barthel, so I think the answer is no. If they plan to sign him before they lose his rights then I can see them signing him now to report to Hershey and add some depth, but I don't believe that will happen; seems to me if that was the plan it would have happened before now as when was the last time he was on skates, his season ended awhile ago.

The Bears are better off sticking Robitaille back on defense or using Aulin a little bit like they did the other game.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I don't think they'd play him, even if they signed him and brought him in.

They have Schultz, and probably could use the college player the Caps signed at the end of the year I believe.

It won't be too big of a deal. I've a feeling Hershey is just resting Nycholat for a tweak of an injury. If the series was critical, I think he might be out there.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I don't think they'd play him, even if they signed him and brought him in.

They have Schultz, and probably could use the college player the Caps signed at the end of the year I believe.

It won't be too big of a deal. I've a feeling Hershey is just resting Nycholat for a tweak of an injury. If the series was critical, I think he might be out there.

Hunt, the college kid I assume you are referring to in your post, cannot play for Hershey during this playoff run.

At the moment, the Hershey D is down to 5 unless Nycholat or Engelland are able to play next round; if one of them cannot play, with the rest and practice time, I still think they may move Robitaille to D or one of the other forwards, like Aulin:

Wotton (injury, shoulder?, assume out for awhile if not the season)
Nycholat (injury, unknown)
Green
Arsene
Wilde
Cutta
Schultz
Engelland (injury, shoulder?)
Fortin (out after surgery near the end of the regular season)

Old
05-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Rumblick

Word is a defenseman (likely Jeff State from Reading) will be called up to have an additional body just in case.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 02:00 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
Word is a defenseman (likely Jeff State from Reading) will be called up to have an additional body just in case.
That would make sense to sign an ECHL guy to a PTO; the Reading guys have been finished for awhile, I think mid-April when they lost to Wheeling so the issue is getting someone like State skating again, etc., and there is some time right now to do that. I'm trying to remember the name of the other REading d-man they used this year, I think it was Christiansen.

Have you heard any talk about Nycholat's injury?

Old
05-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc
That would make sense to sign an ECHL guy to a PTO; the Reading guys have been finished for awhile, I think mid-April when they lost to Wheeling so the issue is getting someone like State skating again, etc., and there is some time right now to do that. I'm trying to remember the name of the other REading d-man they used this year, I think it was Christiansen.

Have you heard any talk about Nycholat's injury?

None at all. It's seemingly a foregone conclusion that Wotton's done, but they're all staying real quiet on Nycolat.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 03:42 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
None at all. It's seemingly a foregone conclusion that Wotton's done, but they're all staying real quiet on Nycolat.
I am amazed at how quiet they have been able to keep it

Old
05-11-2006, 04:45 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Im not.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 04:49 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout
Im not.
If they can really keep it quiet so that the opponent does not know the injury to target, great; it just surprised me.

also, there is a reference to the possibility of an ECHL call-up in this Dan S. article

http://www.ldnews.com/sports/ci_3806026

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 05-11-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old
05-11-2006, 06:07 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
must be taking cues from McPhee, cloak and dagger as usual

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

As an aside, are Barthel and Oduya the only two players the Caps need to sign or lose before June1?

Apologies if the answer is on the board, I did a quick search and couldn't find it. Thanks.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 09:09 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
As an aside, are Barthel and Oduya the only two players the Caps need to sign or lose before June1?

Apologies if the answer is on the board, I did a quick search and couldn't find it. Thanks.

Funny, I was just responding to the thread on the prospects board on this topic. Barthel is the only CHL guy. Oduya is the only 02 or earlier European draft pick that gets much mention, but technically, there are some other European 02 and earlier picks that the Caps still list as in the system and would have to be signed or they would lose their rights, e.g., Blomdahl, Dvorak, Havel, Hubl, Petre, Polcik, Mueller.

Also, my understanding is the June 1, 2006 date does not apply to the Russian draft picks like Nepriayev.

fixed a small typo

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 05-19-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old
05-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Thanks, sk8.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Thanks, sk8.
you are welcome

Just to follow-up, I took a look at the Caps website European prospects in the system list and there is one more player listed that would meet the expiration criteria: Bornhammer/Johansson from the 99 draft (if I am correct that this does not apply to Russians because of the Russians not signing the IIHF transfer agreement).

The only guys I have read anything about recently, even by posters, are Oduya, Blomdahl, and Mueller.

Old
05-13-2006, 05:57 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34
must be taking cues from McPhee, cloak and dagger as usual
More cloak and dagger talk from Nyco himself...looks like he'll be playing next round though so its all good.

http://www.pennlive.com/bears/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1147510848157270.xml&coll=1

Also confirms Jeff State is now with the team.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 08:10 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Funny, I was just responding to the thread on the prospects board on this topic. Barthel is the only CHL guy. Oduya is the only 02 or earlier European draft pick that gets much mention, but technically, there are some other European 02 and earlier picks that the Caps still list as in the system and would have to be signed or they would lose their rights, e.g., Blomdahl, Dvorak, Havel, Hubl, Petre, Polcik, Mueller.

Also, my understanding is the June 2, 2006 date does not apply to the Russian draft picks like Nepriayev.
should I add them to the list of players needed to be resigned? or is it a mute point since they're non-factors anyways

Last edited by PSUhockey34: 05-13-2006 at 08:31 AM.
PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 09:17 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34
should I add them to the list of players needed to be resigned? or is it a mute point since they're non-factors anyways
I wouldn't mix up the list by adding them, but if you want to create another category of guys that need to be signed by June 1 to remain Caps property that is up to you. As you note, most are non-factors so I would wait and see.

Strung, Thanks for the link.

Old
05-13-2006, 11:08 AM
The Viking Fury

That link confirms State is with the bears, but says they may also add another defenseman

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote