HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 08:16 PM
StungbySting

vCash: 500
The highlight of the weekend for me was being selected to roll a car tire from the blueline into the net between the 2nd and 3rd period...I was the only person to get it in the net...good weekend for the Sting with 4 points!!!

Old
10-14-2012, 10:16 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

This Goldobin kid is something special no can't wait until he realizes it himself. Silky smooth mitts with some of the best vision I've seen in the OHL. I wanted him with Galchenyuk a few weeks back and now he's there. Love it.

5 point week and he's riding a 4-game point streak (7 points). He should be in OHL Player of the Week talks

Old
10-15-2012, 05:55 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
This Goldobin kid is something special no can't wait until he realizes it himself. Silky smooth mitts with some of the best vision I've seen in the OHL. I wanted him with Galchenyuk a few weeks back and now he's there. Love it.

5 point week and he's riding a 4-game point streak (7 points). He should be in OHL Player of the Week talks
Dean

You are right when I first him during the exhibition season I was awed by his skill,wish we had him here in Windsor,great pick by Sarnia,terrible miss by Windsor

Old
10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
HockeyCritics

Old
10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
NewStingfan

Good weekend by the Sting! I really think Anthony Deangelo is a treat to watch. He has uncanny vision and a terrific skater. I know some people will not agree but to me he is a better Ryan Murphy at 17. I have been impressed with his defensive side of the game as well. Also, Goldobin will be one exciting player for us as he keeps getting used to the OHL. Daniel Nikandrov is playing very well and is underated in my opinion. The atmosphere in the building this weekend was nice for a change.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:28 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdashOw View Post
Just for clarification, Ciccarelli did not put a time table on those offers, and the article doesn't mention one. It's not meant to connect the four-year period they've lost money with the period they have had offers for the team.
Interesting article...just goes to show how much the city subsidizes the cost of running the other arenas. When his deal with the city is done, so will they.
The season for the Sting is budgeted process that takes into account regular season only. Playoffs are gravy...unfortunately, someone forgot to make it...
As for Goldobin...he has good skill, not sure about the work ethic...and I know he's 17, but you can't be afraid of your own shadow....think back to spooner...skill but hates corners and hates contact.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:15 PM
highstickside

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStingfan View Post
Good weekend by the Sting! I really think Anthony Deangelo is a treat to watch. He has uncanny vision and a terrific skater. I know some people will not agree but to me he is a better Ryan Murphy at 17. I have been impressed with his defensive side of the game as well. Also, Goldobin will be one exciting player for us as he keeps getting used to the OHL. Daniel Nikandrov is playing very well and is underated in my opinion. The atmosphere in the building this weekend was nice for a change.
Better than Ryan Murphy? Dude...not a chance. Obviously, DeAngelo is an elite skater, certainly comparable to Murphy, and he's lots of fun to watch (unless you are his coach or D-partner), but that's where the comparison ends. Murphy has always had one of the hardest and most accurate slapshots in the league, was probably the best PP QB in the league at 17 (OK, Ryan Ellis was still in the OHL at that point, so maybe not best but certainly #2) and was light-years ahead of DeAngelo in terms of hockey sense (and Murphy was, at 17, and can still be, a bit of an adventure in that department). DeAngelo is considered by most NHL scouts to be an interesting prospect, but with a low hockey IQ, at least at this point, that will limit his ceiling. Where Murphy could be weak in his own zone and generally defensively, DeAngelo is flat-out terrible. Hopefully the Sarnia coaching staff can help him with this, in which case the sky will be the limit (assuming he grows a few inches and puts on 25 pounds). If not, he's a one-trick pony.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:36 PM
NewStingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstickside View Post
Better than Ryan Murphy? Dude...not a chance. Obviously, DeAngelo is an elite skater, certainly comparable to Murphy, and he's lots of fun to watch (unless you are his coach or D-partner), but that's where the comparison ends. Murphy has always had one of the hardest and most accurate slapshots in the league, was probably the best PP QB in the league at 17 (OK, Ryan Ellis was still in the OHL at that point, so maybe not best but certainly #2) and was light-years ahead of DeAngelo in terms of hockey sense (and Murphy was, at 17, and can still be, a bit of an adventure in that department). DeAngelo is considered by most NHL scouts to be an interesting prospect, but with a low hockey IQ, at least at this point, that will limit his ceiling. Where Murphy could be weak in his own zone and generally defensively, DeAngelo is flat-out terrible. Hopefully the Sarnia coaching staff can help him with this, in which case the sky will be the limit (assuming he grows a few inches and puts on 25 pounds). If not, he's a one-trick pony.
Totally disagree with your assessment. While I give you that Murphy has the better shot you have no idea on hockey sense. His vision is outstanding. He is a better defender than you give him credit for. Also I think you are mistaken on his pro ceiling but only time will tell. Everyone can have their own opinion.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:55 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Totally disagree with your assessment. While I give you that Murphy has the better shot you have no idea on hockey sense. His vision is outstanding. He is a better defender than you give him credit for. Also I think you are mistaken on his pro ceiling but only time will tell. Everyone can have their own opinion.
I tend to agree with HSS on this one.
Tony won't be growing any reasonable height and he is erractic and bad defensively but has an uncanny sense for offence. Doug Gilmour was the same type of D man before he was converted to forward...and know we know hoW that turned out.
We need a guy like Chapman converted to forward. big boy in front of net and he sures like to hit. He could be a Martin esque type player.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstickside View Post
I am with you highstick.I would take Murphy anyday over DeAngelo.Dont get me wrong,DeAngelo is a great player with lots of speed.Screws around way to much with the puck in his own end.He's watched Basso way too much.BUT he has improved this year vs last year.He is getting back quicker this year and not taking as many as risky chances as last year.I would say coaching staff has reeled him in on that part of his game.As for Murphy,just a great all around defenceman.If you watch him closely,there are the little things he does also.I wished he would carry the puck a bit more to the net.I would also like the sting fans to understand the Power play the Sting uses.It is about passing the puck,puck control and getting those great chances.Fans keep wanting the defence to blister a shot.Not their plans plus they never have anybody in front of net at that time.Great game sunday, great weekend.I have to comment on Jocko.I am quick to be critical but will also compliment also.He has these kids playing well and are using his rookies this year more than last.Still get a bit nervous with the changing of the lines but he has his reason.I see the asst coaches more involved on the bench than last year.Appears to be a positive atmosphere on the bench.Good job.Let's see how 3 games in a row affect them this week.Go Sting

Old
10-15-2012, 02:20 PM
highstickside

Whether our respective assessments of DeAngelo are right or wrong, the fact is, the Sting generally look to be a better TEAM this year than last year. They have, IMHO, one of, if not the, best goalies in the league in Anderson. He's got significant play-off experience, and can carry a huge load of games (providing he stays healthy). The D is as good as anyone's. They have 5 nineteen year olds--4 solid ones and one really good one in Connor Murphy, need I say more. Add to this DeAngelo, who is, whatever his long-term upside may be, still a very dangerous offensive presence. I should say that Duinick is also showing himself to be a great defensive presence this year--he may be the best and most committed shot blocker on the team, at least at this point.

Galchenyuk, Sarault, Boucher and Hottot are a very solid core of skilled veteran forwards. Hottot admittedly has more sand than skill, but he can still put the puck in the net, when he's properly motivated. Latta, and particularly Dundas, look to have improved significantly and add some secondary scoring, and Goldobin, if he continues with the pace he's on could be scary good, especially when teamed with Galchenyuk. Moore and Nikandrov round out the top 9 nicely with tons of up-side, and the rookies Addessi, Hargreave and Renaud will chip in and learn as they go.

They don't have a legit heavyweight, but it's looking like the 10 fight rule may limit the need for that. If not, they still have some pretty tough cats in Chapman, Dundas, Hottot, Kuzmyk & DePaulo who are not afraid to drop the mitts with anyone and will keep the skilled guys from being pushed around . On the other hand, none of that tough-stuff will matter much in the playoffs (look for a 5-6 seeding, IMO) when they could potentially bite somebody with a combination of really solid defence (both the D-men and the forwards who look to be more responsible this year), impressive scoring ability, and super goal tending.

However it all shakes out, I'm betting that this year's team will go farther on heart, chemistry and work ethic than last year's bunch of super star floaters all working for themselves and not the team.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:01 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
.Great game sunday, great weekend.I have to comment on Jocko.I am quick to be critical but will also compliment also.He has these kids playing well and are using his rookies this year more than last.Still get a bit nervous with the changing of the lines but he has his reason.I see the asst coaches more involved on the bench than last year.Appears to be a positive atmosphere on the bench.Good job.Let's see how 3 games in a row affect them this week.Go Sting
Agreed about Jacko. He's looking good behind the bench. Maybe it's less pressure this year but I've also noticed the big rookies getting decent icetime. I'm still not sure that I like Hargrave at C but its worth an experiment. Hargrave, once he gains confidence, should become a more impactful player. He struggled carrying the puck (looks nervous at times and falls a lot haha) but if they can get the puck to him in the scoring areas then watch out because his shot is good.

The sting have been juggling the lines quite a bit but I think it's worked as I feel that Sundays combinations were VERY good. From top to bottom I liked the depth spread out.

Is Nemecek nursing an injury? Must be.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:43 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:

I think the one thing that Deangelo really needs to work on is his passing, and I am not talking about him rushing the puck. When he passes the puck out of the zone, it is never to the players stick. It is either in their skates or behind them. If he could actually hit the guys in stride, it would make him so much more dominant when he rushes the puck.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:32 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I think the one thing that Deangelo really needs to work on is his passing, and I am not talking about him rushing the puck. When he passes the puck out of the zone, it is never to the players stick. It is either in their skates or behind them. If he could actually hit the guys in stride, it would make him so much more dominant when he rushes the puck.
I think the answer to poor passing is because tony does it very little. If you hit the guy in the skates and he has a man on him, he's dead meat. He likes to rush a little more than anyone on the team would like, but the fans apparently love it. As i said before, make him a forward...he could score 25-30 goals a year. He has the wheels, hands and moves.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:50 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
I think the answer to poor passing is because tony does it very little. If you hit the guy in the skates and he has a man on him, he's dead meat. He likes to rush a little more than anyone on the team would like, but the fans apparently love it. As i said before, make him a forward...he could score 25-30 goals a year. He has the wheels, hands and moves.
Forward might not be a bad idea but then again an offensive defencemen is also a bonus.Will Barrick get a start this weekend.Maybe thurs against Miss or fri guelph.Hope he has a good outing again.He played well in the first game against Owen Sound.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:54 AM
The Goaltending Guru

Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
Assuming this NHL lockout gets cleared up in the next week or so, does Galchenyuk report to the Canadiens or is he pretty much in Sarnia for this season no matter what?

Old
10-17-2012, 07:12 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goaltending Guru View Post
Assuming this NHL lockout gets cleared up in the next week or so, does Galchenyuk report to the Canadiens or is he pretty much in Sarnia for this season no matter what?
He was the 3rd overall pick...He'll be going to Montreal's camp...however abbreviated that may be.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
dansk55

http://www.sarniasting.com/article/b...-and-marketing
guess can't be hurting too much if they add another VP in the upper eschelon.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:56 PM
FatKid

Anybody see the article that anybody who purchases Season Tickets now will receive a pro-rated price on the tickets (obviously) AND 10 free rounds of golf w/ cart at Greenwood? Seems like a kick in the pants for the people who paid for tickets up front. I realize that money is tight and the organization has to draw in more ticket holders, but what about those who paid right from the start?

Old
10-17-2012, 08:10 PM
PdashOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKid View Post
Anybody see the article that anybody who purchases Season Tickets now will receive a pro-rated price on the tickets (obviously) AND 10 free rounds of golf w/ cart at Greenwood? Seems like a kick in the pants for the people who paid for tickets up front. I realize that money is tight and the organization has to draw in more ticket holders, but what about those who paid right from the start?
My reading of that was that these tickets (at 17.50/game) are cheaper than regular walk-up tickets, not season tickets. That they specify the deal is compared to single-game prices makes me think they are probably more expensive than regular season tickets.
(note, this was my interpretation. I never asked anyone)

Old
10-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdashOw View Post
My reading of that was that these tickets (at 17.50/game) are cheaper than regular walk-up tickets, not season tickets. That they specify the deal is compared to single-game prices makes me think they are probably more expensive than regular season tickets.
(note, this was my interpretation. I never asked anyone)
You can spin the wording any way you want but the ad specifically states "Season Tickets". Of course anyone who purchased regular season tickets gets a discount off of walk up prices. They always tell season ticket subscribers that we are getting a deal compared to single game prices. They just don't throw in extra benefits like this when you purchase in the spring.

Greenwood Teams Up With The Sting
For Hockey And Golf Package!

Purchase Season Tickets and Receive Free Golf At
Greenwood
The Sarnia Sting Hockey Club and the Greenwood Golf Club have joined forces to offer a unique Hockey and Golf package.
Anyone who purchases a pro rated Sarnia Sting season ticket (between October 18 and November 15) will then receive 10 rounds of golf plus cart courtesy Greenwood Golf Club.
The price per ticket to purchase the season ticket is just $17.50 per game enabling both a savings on Sting tickets (off the walk-up price) combined with the 10free rounds of golf with cart!

To take advantage of this unique opportunity contact the RBC Centre Box Office in person or call 519-541-1717

Old
10-18-2012, 09:54 AM
FatKid

To take it one step further, the Sting have also announced $5 kid's tickets for Thursdays and Sundays - What about the people who paid full price for their kid's season tickets? If they just paid per game, it'd have been substantial savings - I spoke to a couple who paid full price for their kid's tickets and they feel ripped off.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

The draft eligible junkie in me hopes Spencer Martin gets the start in net for Missy tonight but that could be huge trouble for Sarnia - the kid looks to be a stud in the game I watched last weekend in Mississauga.

Another draft eligible player to watch (who has impressed me) is Josh Burnside - tons of hussle and energy.

Leafs' fans will get a rare viewing of Stu Percy as well.

Get to the rink!

Old
10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
The Goaltending Guru

Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
http://www.sarniasting.com/article/b...-and-marketing
guess can't be hurting too much if they add another VP in the upper eschelon.
That's not necessarily true. We don't know that he's not a old friend of the Cicarellis who they agreed with to not pay a whole lot to, but rather to just help keep him in the game while giving him a fancy-sounding job title to keep up appearances. Now, they go adding front office staff members left and right over the next 6 months, then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and start thinking "Hmmm, maybe the Sting are starting to turn around a bit!"

Old
10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
The draft eligible junkie in me hopes Spencer Martin gets the start in net for Missy tonight but that could be huge trouble for Sarnia - the kid looks to be a stud in the game I watched last weekend in Mississauga.

Another draft eligible player to watch (who has impressed me) is Josh Burnside - tons of hussle and energy.

Leafs' fans will get a rare viewing of Stu Percy as well.

Get to the rink!
Martin was hot. looked great.Robbed gali a few times. Burnside was also impressive.Fast team
Nemecek looked terrible,out of sinc,What has happened to boucher,nothing in the last 4 or so games at all.Hottot only skates on PK and PP.No heart,gives up way too easy.Had 3-4 great opportunity to pass to gali and kept the puck only to lose it.Keep him off this line!!Too many soft passes by the team,Turn overs galore,Anthony Di gave a soft pass to Missy for goal.JP not as sharp as usual but game not his fault.Nikiandrov played well i thought

Closed Thread