HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Stewart & Ian Cole

Old
10-18-2012, 07:38 PM
joebrute

vCash: 500
Chris Stewart & Ian Cole

Hi Blues fans,

I was wondering what you guys thaught of the expected production and ice time Chris Stewart and Ian Cole would have this (if there is any) season, and what their long terme expectations might by.

Any indications on points, time on ice (pp, pk, es), utiliy, strenghts, flaws, etc Would be usefull.

Thanks

joebrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Normally there is a rough idea to how a players year is expected to go, but with these 2 it is a crapshoot and you'll get varying answers I suspect.

The Blues roll 3 "scoring" lines, and Stewart will find himself on the second or third one, who will likely see similar time. What PP time he gets is largely down to how quickly Tarasenko adjusts to the NHL. Expect he'll be mainly used at ES, but all the spots on our PP unit are basically up for grabs, so if he gets a good start he'll be there. I'll guess he'll be around 20-25 goals and similar in assists.

I expect Ian Cole will start the season partnering Pietrangelo, and will be given the chance to make that spot his own. He'll almost exclusively be used ES though. If he doesn't fit that role, then he could find himself on the third line with Russell.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:53 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
If Cole plays like he can, I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 20 points.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:18 PM
kimzey59

Cole- It appears Cole will be given a shot at the vacant top pairing spot.
He doesn't play on either special teams unit so his ATOI will likely be under 18 minutes a night. If he does well, his main job will be eating up the "soft" minutes to keep Jax, Shattenkirk and Polak fresh.
Best case scenario for Cole production wise is 20-25 points. More likely he'll be in the mid-low teens similar to what Jackman and Polak produce. Cole is primarily a defensive D man and won't put up a lot of production(never has, at any level). His value is in his defensive game.

Stewart- It appears Stewart will be given the first chance at the 2nd line RW spot. Stewart does get regular PP duties so his ATOI should be fairly high as long as he's producing. If he's not producing, he'll drop through the lineup and his ATOI will drop accordingly.
Production wise; it's an either or situation IMO. Either Stewart rebounds and is likely to top 30 goals and 60 points; or he doesn't and ends up with a line similar to last season(15 goals, 30 points). I don't see a middle ground here.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:58 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Cole- It appears Cole will be given a shot at the vacant top pairing spot.
He doesn't play on either special teams unit so his ATOI will likely be under 18 minutes a night. If he does well, his main job will be eating up the "soft" minutes to keep Jax, Shattenkirk and Polak fresh.
Best case scenario for Cole production wise is 20-25 points. More likely he'll be in the mid-low teens similar to what Jackman and Polak produce. Cole is primarily a defensive D man and won't put up a lot of production(never has, at any level). His value is in his defensive game.

Stewart- It appears Stewart will be given the first chance at the 2nd line RW spot. Stewart does get regular PP duties so his ATOI should be fairly high as long as he's producing. If he's not producing, he'll drop through the lineup and his ATOI will drop accordingly.
Production wise; it's an either or situation IMO. Either Stewart rebounds and is likely to top 30 goals and 60 points; or he doesn't and ends up with a line similar to last season(15 goals, 30 points). I don't see a middle ground here.
While Cole has never been a big offensive producer, I think he's shown he has more offensive flare than Jackman and Polak. Long term, he may not produce any better, but he has solid potential to do so because he has somewhat better hands and instincts (he looked good playing forward on Notre Dame's powerplay). He's pretty unlikely to blossom offensively in the upcoming season, though, that's for sure. If he blossoms defensively, though, I would be surprised if he didn't see time on the penalty kill.

I don't see why Stewart can't have the middle ground. Towards the end of last year, even when he wasn't scoring, he still forechecked and backchecked well. Not ideal for his abilities, but still a different Stewart from the one who started the season. With or without powerplay time and that kind of effort all the time, bouncing between the second and third line, 40-50 points wouldn't be weird at all. That's not necessarily what I think or hope he'll do, but nothing indicates to me that it's a full bounce-back or bust.

Actually, I'd be surprised if Stewart didn't improve noticeably. Not inked in for 30 goals, but he seems to have matured enough in the past year that I expect more than 30 points.

Last edited by rumrokh: 10-19-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: grammar
rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:21 PM
joebrute

Thanks for the replies.

Is there other opinions is what has been already said sums it up ?

joebrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
oPlaiD

Stewart hasn't earned enough ice time to get 30 goals and 30 assists, on this team.

If he was playing on a team where the coach could give him tons of offensive zone starts and power play time I have no doubt he'd produce, but that just isn't what Hitchcock does or how he will use him. I still don't think Stewart fits on the Blues long term. Hopefully he changes my mind with his play this season.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:45 AM
randysavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
Stewart hasn't earned enough ice time to get 30 goals and 30 assists, on this team.

If he was playing on a team where the coach could give him tons of offensive zone starts and power play time I have no doubt he'd produce, but that just isn't what Hitchcock does or how he will use him. I still don't think Stewart fits on the Blues long term. Hopefully he changes my mind with his play this season.
He just needs to bring the intensity of the fights he picks to the rest of his game. If he could be that tough all the time, he'd be a complete monster.

randysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:41 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
Stewart's ice time will depend on how he plays in his own zone and what he does away from the puck. If he improves in these areas we'll see his point totals improve. He should have a pretty good idea what's expected of him every night, this has to be one of Hitchcock's top priorities this season.

Cole is still young but I've got my fingers crossed, I really don't have opinion until we see him on a regular shift. I do believe someday he'll be a top four steady performer I just don't know if it will be this year.

The lockout really doesn't help either one of these two because if and when the season starts training camp will be very short.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
With Cole, we've seen flashes of his ability to completely shut down the opposition and physically man-handle them.
The game against Pittsburgh where Cole and Pietrangelo matched up against Crosby.

Cole was dominant. Playing Sid hard every second, winning races to pucks, out muscling not just Crosby but Kunitz and Neal and Dupius as well.

I think this lockout is actually going to help Cole as he's going to log a ton of minutes for the Rivs and then (with confidence), he'll come up prepared to log 18+ minutes a night.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:56 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrute View Post
Hi Blues fans,

I was wondering what you guys thaught of the expected production and ice time Chris Stewart and Ian Cole would have this (if there is any) season, and what their long terme expectations might by.

Any indications on points, time on ice (pp, pk, es), utiliy, strenghts, flaws, etc Would be usefull.

Thanks
I'm hoping for a rebound season from Stewart but it's really hard to predict. He has the ability to score 30+ goals but he also has the ability to disappear. He'll probably get 2nd/3rd line minutes and will get PP time if he earns it. The Blues will have 9+ forwards vying for PP time though so competition is going to be fierce.

As for Cole, I see him developing long-term into a good 2nd pairing d-man but contributing more of a 5th/6th d-man role this season. He might be thrust into more responsibility than that though given the makeup of the Blues' defensive core (the Blues don't have an obvious option to play the left side of the top pairing).

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:24 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
With Cole, we've seen flashes of his ability to completely shut down the opposition and physically man-handle them.
The game against Pittsburgh where Cole and Pietrangelo matched up against Crosby.

Cole was dominant. Playing Sid hard every second, winning races to pucks, out muscling not just Crosby but Kunitz and Neal and Dupius as well.

I think this lockout is actually going to help Cole as he's going to log a ton of minutes for the Rivs and then (with confidence), he'll come up prepared to log 18+ minutes a night.

That's a very good point, it just might.

Which made me think of a question?

Does anyone know if Hitchcock is spending any time in Peoria working with the team?

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:50 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

he's been working with the community in the st. louis area. he ran a coaching clinic and helped out with the mizzou hockey team

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote