HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Duchene

Old
10-17-2012, 10:38 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Why are you guys hating on Hunwick? The guy can actually play defense. The real concern on our defense should be that over-confident dumbass Shane O'Brien.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:43 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Yeah Hunwick came into camp ready to go and was one of the best players. Yes he will screw up once in a while and yes he will turn the puck over, but people can't deny that he was really solid during the last half of the season and needs to build on that.

The best part of Hunwick is he knows his limitation and doesn't put the team out to dry like one SOB.

What I am curious in is how Pock fits this conversation because he does have some decent talent to be a 6-7th defenseman and makes things a lot more interesting.

E: The problem I have and probably a lot of you have is if he will ever change his game. Two seasons ago he was on fire, but last year he played some seriously bad hockey. I honestly believe he has all the talent to go back to his sophomore season, but I also have second thoughts about his mental game and if that will keep him playing terrible hockey.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Why are you guys hating on Hunwick? The guy can actually play defense. The real concern on our defense should be that over-confident dumbass Shane O'Brien.
In the Echl... maybe.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:10 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
In the Echl... maybe.
In the NHL and he isn't bad at it either.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Drizzt1

vCash: 500
Quote:
His minus 22, in his last 84 games disagrees with that statement.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:22 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
His minus 22, in his last 84 games disagrees with that statement.
Plus/minus doesn't mean ****.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Plus/minus doesn't mean ****.
Ok, granted, but the critical turnovers I repeatedly saw him do at the wrong end of the ice, or his being pushed of the puck like a light weight, or him looking around the rink aimlessly as the puck projected into the net behind him does.

The guy isn't NHL quality from what I see. I think Barrie showed 10 times the nouse Hunwick has in his limited opportunity.

Yes, Hunwick looked better as we finished the season (mind you, we lost 6 of our last 7) so his affect on the team when it comes to positive results isn't there.

BrickAHL, we have better options than Hunwick as our 7th - 8th D-man.
+ Stefan Elliott
+ Tyson Barrie
+ Cameron Gaunce

Heck, from what I have seen early on, Pock looks ok as well. At least he's a presence on the ice.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:44 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Ok, granted, but the critical turnovers I repeatedly saw him do at the wrong end of the ice, or his being pushed of the puck like a light weight, or him looking around the rink aimlessly as the puck projected into the net behind him does.

The guy isn't NHL quality from what I see. I think Barrie showed 10 times the nouse Hunwick has in his limited opportunity.

Yes, Hunwick looked better as we finished the season (mind you, we lost 6 of our last 7) so his affect on the team when it comes to positive results isn't there.

BrickAHL, we have better options than Hunwick as our 7th - 8th D-man.
+ Stefan Elliott
+ Tyson Barrie
+ Cameron Gaunce

Heck, from what I have seen early on, Pock looks ok as well. At least he's a presence on the ice.
I agree with that but Hunwick is a good 7th dman and one of those 3 guys you mentioned should replace Shane O'Brien as one of our top 6 defenseman. The other 2 who don't make the club should stay in the AHL where they get to continue to play unlike here where they would be the 7th dman and get no playing time therefore slowing down their development.

Old
10-18-2012, 02:22 AM
Drizzt1

Shane O'Brien is a presence, has a role, got 20 points in 76 games, and is a plus player. He's under rated. He made some horrible mistakes, but made up for that in other areas. I rate him.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:33 AM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
The O'Brien hate on here is laughable.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:04 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
The O'Brien hate on here is laughable.
He made some costly and often stupid mistakes last season. I was one of the guys who couldn't believe that he was re-signed in the summer. Hunwick is a great example how things can change, though. It's (hopefully) a new season (soon), there's a new coach for our D and maybe O'Brien will play really well.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Hope you didn't get the impression I was. I actually like him as a 6th-7th defender so long as we don't use him for 82 games a season.

In fact, I still remember being thoroughly bombarded for defending Hunwick when he first arrived to the Avs (not that I didn't deserve some of it at the time, Hunny stunk) and find it funny he managed to prove more useful than Cohen in the end (something I was actually right about!).

O'Brien did alright as well, however I am less thrilled with him than Hunwick because O'Brien isn't asked to be offensive yet he continually tries moves he isn't skilled enough to do. There were several occasions Avs fans collectively held their breath and he was lucky to pull off, several he was not. When he screws up it is almost always a 2-1 or 1-0 at minimum.

Back to Duchy: He has P/G potential, easily. He has enough pure talent to compete with the likes of Crosby on a regular basis. His problem will always be two fold, his hockey intelligence is not elite and his mental fortitude is on par with a highschool Freshman.

If he can mature, I think he can be a P/G player. His hockey IQ will probably never be Elite, but it should be enough when paired with the best Avs players (aside from Landeskog, Duchy has always played with the best wingers on the team...) he should light the lamp frequently.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:58 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Duchene is our most skilled forward and will lead the team in points next season.
Bingo! I love lando, but Duchene is the future point producer for this team. Having Duchene and Landeskog as the face of the franchise will be crazy. Also when thinking about Duchene coming back to the player we all want, it isn't going to hurt by being on a line with one of the best playmakers in the game. PAP would have been our leading scorer last year, now he will be on Duchene's wing. I predict 35+ for Duchene in the next full 82 game nhl season. Duchene is a goal scorer, not a playmaker like some people seem to think. He will thrive playing with PAP

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
he's 21!!!
In age only, he is number 9 actually

Hanklite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Silly Bricky you're mistaking Hunwick with the other #22 that played with the avs... Hannan.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:29 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Silly Bricky you're mistaking Hunwick with the other #22 that played with the avs... Hannan.
Nah, Hunwick was pretty good last year.

Hannan is meh. Theres a reason why he's been unsigned till late august/september the last couple years. Hes not that good.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:33 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I interviewed Sidney Crosby's trainer last week - he spent time this summer working with Duchene. And he (biased, maybe) thinks Duchene is back on track.

Quote:
I think Mattís main limiting factors this past season were injuries. Heís very explosive and to make the types of plays he makes he needs to be uninhibited physically. Our number one goal was trying to build some functional stability and improve range of motion, to allow him to be more durable this upcoming year. We also did quite a bit of work on nutrition and recovery which I believe believe plays an equally important role in that process.
http://www.anguscertified.com/an-int...u-andy-obrien/

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:45 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Hunwick cannot play defense on the NHl level sorry Bricky. He had a spurt of 5-6 games last seaosn then quickly reverted to the Hunwick we all love to hate. The guy is constantly out of position, cant move anyone out in front of the net, gets outmuscled in the corners.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:00 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

I truly don't see how duchene won't be at least a 30 40G 40 50A player. iirc he was on a 42g 45a ish pace b4 flash crashed and the team collapsed. I'd like to see a Landy-Dutchy-Pap line sometime just to see how they do. I really think they could light the lamp, Landy is a PF but alot more skilled then any of the PFs duchene been paired with. I just think they would be worth a shot

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I would be overjoyed if Crosby could impart some sort of vision onto Duchene. Wishful thinking I guess.

But it's good to hear he's doing well and hopefully back on track as a player. Anyone know the background story on how Duchy and Crosby ended up training together in the first place?

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1277441

Hurry up before it's too late!

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:16 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I would be overjoyed if Crosby could impart some sort of vision onto Duchene. Wishful thinking I guess.

But it's good to hear he's doing well and hopefully back on track as a player. Anyone know the background story on how Duchy and Crosby ended up training together in the first place?
Duchene just needs to simplify things more... keeps trying to do too much and would rather try and show off skill rather than make the simple, smart play.

He has the skill set and the heart. IMO, his issues are all mental and can be fixed.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Nah, Hunwick was pretty good last year.

Hannan is meh. Theres a reason why he's been unsigned till late august/september the last couple years. Hes not that good.
Agree with Hannan. His game was never amazing, but clearly, he is on the downside of his NHL career. Wasn't thrilled when we signed him years ago.

Hunwick is OK. The problem is, when things aren't going well for him, he can look downright horrible. I was happy to see him somewhat rebound last season. But, is he a legit top 6 Dman? I'm on the fence on that one. On a contender? I would have to say NO.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:28 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog The Viking View Post
I truly don't see how duchene won't be at least a 30 40G 40 50A player. iirc he was on a 42g 45a ish pace b4 flash crashed and the team collapsed. I'd like to see a Landy-Dutchy-Pap line sometime just to see how they do. I really think they could light the lamp, Landy is a PF but alot more skilled then any of the PFs duchene been paired with. I just think they would be worth a shot
Downie's the perfect sandpaper player to stick next to Dutchy and PAP, he's a passer offensively, one who's used to playing with goal scoring centermen. That's why I'm rooting for that line to get a shot together at some point.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Downie's the perfect sandpaper player to stick next to Dutchy and PAP, he's a passer offensively, one who's used to playing with goal scoring centermen. That's why I'm rooting for that line to get a shot together at some point.
I'm not sold on Duchene being a goal scoring center in the sense of a shooter. He get's his goals in front of the net or by moving his feet. If PAP is going to play with Matt the other winger needs to be a sniper who can't pot at least 25+ a year.

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote