Notices

Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion II

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Would imagine he just didn't want to say the real reason.

Fully believe Glennie is in the dog house for whatever reason, and definitely not just because he was late to camp.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
10-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

AHL hockey all season it is.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
AHL hockey all season it is.
Speaking of, I will definitely be seeing the Baby Stars @ Houston Baby Wilds in Houston on the 11th, and then going to Austin for December 14th and 15th's games.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:59 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
HundredDegreeHockey ‏@100degreehockey
Texas Stars assign Austin Smith and Mathieu Tousignant to the Idaho @Steelheads #txstars
Da fuq Willie.. da fuq.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Bank

vCash: 500
I haven't seen this around here.

According to Corey Pronmanns twitter Austin Smith has been reasigned to the ECHL...

Old
10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
txomisc

some of the guys over at dbd must be beside themselves.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Speaking of, I will definitely be seeing the Baby Stars @ Houston Baby Wilds in Houston on the 11th, and then going to Austin for December 14th and 15th's games.
If you're looking for people to enjoy the games with let me know.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:08 AM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Just saw the Smith stuff. Couldn't help but go all ????????!!!!?!!??!!!

Old
10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Playing time for Smith, but my problem is the fact that there are less talented players (Roussel, Wathier, Petersen, Tousignant, Sloan) on the roster.

I'm also shocked to bits that Fraser has no points through 5 games. Seriously, it doesn't take rocket surgeons to know to know that Petersen is not a PP QB.

And I will take you up on that offer Cin!

Old
10-23-2012, 12:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Absurd, but if Willie refuses to play his talent then you basically have 2 options: take away his toys and make him mad, or move the player to a place where they can get time.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:26 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Absurd, but if Willie refuses to play his talent then you basically have 2 options: take away his toys and make him mad, or move the player to a place where they can get time.
yeah as much as i am not sold on austin smith having any nhl potential i am quite sure he can be a productive AHL player given the chance.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Well Willie clearly had no intention of using him. It's been pretty clear so far he favors the old gritty guys over a young up and coming guy any day.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:33 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

I wonder if we could negotiate with other AHL clubs to loan out our prospects across the league.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:42 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Profiled Vincour for DefendingBigD today:

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/10...ick-adjustment
Quote:
At 21, Vincour is still a work-in-progress. Last year, the Stars placed him in a depth role. He didnít look out of place, but he didnít stand out, either. He seems to be picking up more and more as his professional career progresses, which is a good thing, as he still has a ways to go if he wants to be a top six forward in the future. The fact that he is already entering his third pro season at the age of 21 speaks volumes to his overall game and the structure he plays with.

At the very least, Vincour appears on his way to carving out a career as a responsible winger who doesnít hurt his team. Heís big and strong, he can skate, and he knows where to be on the ice for the most part. He has the ability and talent to be a 20-goal scorer (and potentially more depending on who his linemates are), but he needs to play with more confidence to get there. And that comes with experience and opportunity Ė two things he is in the progress of earning.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:29 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Solid summary.

That goal he scored on Saturday was a big step for him. That's how he's going to need to score at the next level.

My favorite part of his game is his cycling instinct. He almost always knows which direction to go with the puck and where the quiet areas of the defense will be. Then he has the size and ability to shield the puck from the defender when things get tight. He'll be an asset to the team as a possession-type player who will spend more time in the offensive zone than his own.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
some of the guys over at dbd must be beside themselves.
Pretty odd to be upset that a guy with next to no shot of making the NHL getting demoted. He seems like a great kid with an amazing story, but players get demoted all the time.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Brand New Stars

I can't stand coaches that love to play garbage veterans over young guys with potential.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Might try and make it out to the game in Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Solid summary.

That goal he scored on Saturday was a big step for him. That's how he's going to need to score at the next level.

My favorite part of his game is his cycling instinct. He almost always knows which direction to go with the puck and where the quiet areas of the defense will be. Then he has the size and ability to shield the puck from the defender when things get tight. He'll be an asset to the team as a possession-type player who will spend more time in the offensive zone than his own.
I've never understood why some get on his case about not producing offense. I think a lot of people forget that he's the same age as R. Smith, Chiasson, Glennie, etc., none of whom have even made the NHL fulltime yet, something Vincour has achieved.

While I don't see him in the top 6 in the future, I don't get why 30-40 points in his prime is a ridiculous expectation, especially if we can get some offense on the 3rd line (R. Smith - Eakin - Vincour really does sound enticing in the NHL too).

Old
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Pretty odd to be upset that a guy with next to no shot of making the NHL getting demoted. He seems like a great kid with an amazing story, but players get demoted all the time.
He hasn't had a chance yet to prove either side of that argument. And then you have players like Roussel who are just a complete waste of space.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:20 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I don't get how the Hundred Degree Hockey report says Austin's problem has been lack of scoring. He's played in what, 1 preseason game?

Old
10-23-2012, 03:23 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
While I don't see him in the top 6 in the future, I don't get why 30-40 points in his prime is a ridiculous expectation, especially if we can get some offense on the 3rd line (R. Smith - Eakin - Vincour really does sound enticing in the NHL too).
That could be a deadly third line in the NHL. Especially when you compare it to what we had last year.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:17 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
He hasn't had a chance yet to prove either side of that argument. And then you have players like Roussel who are just a complete waste of space.
I'm not picking on you since others have thrown out this, IMO, silly dig at Roussel, but Antoine Roussel is a full year younger than Austin Smith. He's a legitimate prospect, and I'd argue he's much more likely to play in the NHL than Austin Smith (though I wouldn't bet on either developing into significant contributors to the Dallas Stars). Smith is going to have a much more difficult path to the NHL as a scorer, and Dallas' depth in that area might mean he never gets a full time look.

I'm pulling for Smith. He's a fun, exciting prospect based on what we saw in college, and the fact he's from Dallas. That said, he played in a rather weak college division, he didn't light up the AHL in limited time last season, and while it was one game so far this year he didn't look like a guy that was unjustly sitting on the bench. If anything, prime minutes in the ECHL is the best thing he could get.

Roussel on the other hand has performed very well as a grinder and in the faceoff circle. He's been utilized on the PK well, and he's clearly ready for full time AHL duty. I doubt there is anything you could point to that would indicate he doesn't fully deserves the ice time he's earned so far. I don't personally like his Steve Ott-like play after the whistle, but he's the type of guy that makes it to the NHL based on steady, solid play and an endless motor.

I don't want to see Toby Petersen out there either, but I don't see the point in wasting our breath complaining about it. They wanted a veteran presence among the forwards. They saw how well it paid off having an experience guy like Lukowich play with and around Larsen and Dillon, and now they're trying to get the same out of Petersen. I think you could have found a better vet for that, but Toby is who they got.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
BigG44

I'm not familiar with this guy on Twitter, but it was a RT by 100 Degree:

Quote:
Mitch Cooper ‏@PHNHockeyEditor

Stars practiced hard today. Worked on special teams. Sceviour practiced but no contact allowed. Might see Glennie soon. #txstars

Old
10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
BigG44

Scott Glennie is playing tonight. Quote from Jackson on Glennie and Austin Smith:

Quote:
Jackson was asked if it was an injury or a conditioning issue that kept Glennie, Dallas’ first round pick in 2009, from being ready when the season began.

“A little bit of both but more conditioning,” Jackson said. “He wasn’t ready to go, so in fairness to him and the other players he stayed out until he was ready to go.”
Quote:
“It’s just been an unusual season with so many players and it’s an opportunity to give him some ice,” said Jackson. “There are five or six extra guys in Austin and he wasn’t getting in enough. It’s hard to run practices and get a lineup when you have so many bodies. It probably will be better for him to get down there and get some games. I think he is going down for five or six games and then he’ll be back.”

Old
10-24-2012, 01:12 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Looking like Smith is going down simply to make sure he's playing games instead of sitting around.

Closed Thread