HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Early Oscar buzz: ar...go....name some contenders

Old
10-18-2012, 10:01 PM
kihei

vCash: 5801
There are 71 entries in "foreign language" category this year (each participating country gets one entry only), of which I have only seen 8, though that's not a bad number at this stage of the year. The 71 films will be reduced to a short list of 9 films in January and that short list invariably excludes some excellent films and includes some groaners. In the past several years, until Iran's very deserving A Separation won last year as the favourite, this has been an extremely unpredictable category, and may return to that form once again this year. For instance, though Amour has even received some minor buzz about possibly being nominated in the main category (very high odds against that), that praise is still no guarantee that it will even get nominated in the foreign language category, though I would be shocked if it didn't make the January short list.

The French were somewhat pissed off that Austria selected Amour, the Cannes winner of the Palme d'Or, before they could claim the film as their own. Michael Haneke, its director, is from Austria, so Austria's move was fair game. As a result, France nominated The Intouchables, a decidedly lightweight but highly popular comedy in hope that it will trump the field and steal Austria's thunder. Hopefully, it won't work, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the French film at least make the short list. Canada's War Witch, a good not great movie, hasn't generated much buzz and could get lost in the crowd. It has a very slim chance at making the short list, though, as its subject, child soldiers, might appeal to some Academy voters.

My major rooting interest is Amour, the best film that I have seen this year. Of the other contending films I have seen, I also hope Chile's No and Denmark's A Royal Affair make the short list. I think that they both have a good chance. I was sorry to see A Simple Life off the list, only to discover it had been Hong Kong's entry last year (kind of interesting that Hong Kong still gets a separate entry). Another very strong possibility, Rhino Season probably won't open officially until 2013, but would not stand a chance in hell of being chosen by Iran anyway as it is about the brutal treatment of an Iranian poet.

Last edited by kihei: 10-18-2012 at 10:07 PM.
kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:40 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Semi-serious question: what are the chances The Avengers gets nominated (it's obviously not going to win)?
Maybe visual effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuppa chupp View Post
The Avengers has a great shot at being nominated for Best Picture. In fact, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't.

Right now, Argo, The Master, and Les Miserables are locks.

Also, I'm sure Helen Hunt and / or John Hawkes will be nominated for The Sessions. The Oscars eat that type of subject material up.

I'd love to see Beasts of the Southern Wild get a nomination for best original score.
Please tell me you're kidding. It was a visual effects nerd-gasm. Nothing more. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King actually had many elements that make for great cinema. The Avengers? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Not yet mentioned:

Cloud Atlas just reeks of Oscar bait.

Moonrise Kingdom IMO could get a BP nom.
44 on Metacritic. Apparently it's beyond cheesy and lacks substance.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Static

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Jack Black is going to be this year's Jonah Hill I think.

And I should be more clear when I say that he's an actor nobody ever envisioned seeing a nomination for, not a crack at his possible inclusion.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:04 AM
kihei

Long shots:

I was very underwhelmed by Beasts of the Southern Wild, but Quvenzhané Wallis certainly deserves at least serious consideration for her performance.

I'd like to see Gael Garcia Bernal get a best actor nom for No, too.

Don't think The Avengers has any chance at all for a Best Picture nom. And if the Academy just nominates five films, I'm not sure The Master is necessarily a lock, either.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Cloud Atlas.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

And some of the reviews there are laughably painful. One of the few times I'm not putting much emphasis on a metacritic score (even though it's just 9 reviews).

80/100 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:11 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
There are 71 entries in "foreign language" category this year (each participating country gets one entry only), of which I have only seen 8, though that's not a bad number at this stage of the year...
I've very much hoping this movie will be released in Canada soon. It has one of the most intriguing movie trailers I've seen in a while. According to IMDB, it is the official entry of Australia to the Oscars.

Last edited by SB164: 10-19-2012 at 12:23 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:25 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I've very much hoping this movie will be released in Canada soon. It has one of the most intriguing movie trailers I've seen in a while. According to IMDB, it is the official entry of Australia to the Best Foreign Language Film category of the Oscars.
It had great word of mouth at TIFF. Lore and Silver Lining Playbook are at the top of my must-see list, so I hope it gets here soon.

Last edited by kihei: 10-19-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old
10-19-2012, 12:25 AM
eldiablo17

Hard year to predict so far so I'm just going to go with my best picture predictions.

So far The Master is my only shoe-in for Best Picture although Argo will probably get a nomination too as it appears a lot of people like it a lot more than I did. Aside from that I don't see Looper or Seven Psychopaths as having enough political oomph to in there.

I would also bet very highly on The Silver Linings Playbook, The Hobbit, Les Miserables and Django Unchained getting recognition in that category.

As for outside chances to round it out: Hitchcock, Kill Bin Laden, and Life of Pi.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
We'll see how the studio tries to push them. I could see them trying to get both in as co-leads. I think it would be smart to put Phoenix as lead, and Hoffman as supporting, but who knows what they'll do.

EDIT: I think The Master gets the Tree of Life spot this year. A movie that people are very divided on, but the ambition wins out. I think no matter what, PTA gets a best director nomination.
If they use the same methodology as last year, it should get in easily. All it would need is to be the 1st place choice of 5% of Academy voters. I don't suppose they've announced this year's plan for the best picture nominations yet?

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:48 AM
TK
Global Moderator

I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is that pretty. She kinda looks weird to me. She's definitely a great actress, though. Could be the next Tilda Swinton.

I haven't seen most of these movies you guys are mentioning. I should probably change that.

TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Maybe visual effects.

Please tell me you're kidding. It was a visual effects nerd-gasm. Nothing more. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King actually had many elements that make for great cinema. The Avengers? Not so much.
Wheedon for directing? Editing? A lot of the reviews praised the handling of the ensemble cast and how just about everyone got enough time on screen and the pacing of the movie. Leaning towards visual and audio effects side though.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:24 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
According to the experts: http://www.goldderby.com/odds/experts/56/

Argo
Les Miserables
Silver Linings Playbook
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty
Life of Pi

Haven't seen any of those yet but (I know someone has to say this every year) it's not a very inspiring list. I'm too lazy to equate the number of chest-thumping American films (Argo, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty) with 2012 being an election year, but consider this sentence my half-hearted attempt.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Les mis is going to clean up this year.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Moonrise Kindgom was such a good movie, it shocked me as it was on of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a while but I had simple above average expectations.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:37 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Wheedon for directing? Editing? A lot of the reviews praised the handling of the ensemble cast and how just about everyone got enough time on screen and the pacing of the movie. Leaning towards visual and audio effects side though.
Technical award nominations are certainly possible. Editing is a real stretch, though, and the chance for direction being nominated is slim and none. I would guess the nominated directors will come from this group (in order of most likely):

Ben Affleck - Argo
Tom Hooper - Les Miserables
David O. Russell - Silver Linings Playbook
Paul Thomas Anderson - The Master
Steven Spielberg - Lincoln
Ben Lewin – Sessions
Kathryn Bigelow - Zero Dark Thirty
Ang Lee - Life of Pi
Michael Haneke - Amour

Old
10-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Pattysaurus

The Master will probably have a handful of nominations but I don't think it will win anything.

I'm really excited for Silver Linings Playbook. Loved the book.

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 03:14 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:

If District 9, Inception, and Avatar can get Best Picture nominations, The Avengers (which has a higher average critic rating than all three aforementioned flicks) no doubt surely can. A record setting box office flick that was loved by both audiences and critics that will draw mainstream viewers to the ceremony, which is exactly what the Academy wanted after people were upset that The Dark Knight wasn't nominated (and which is why they extended the number of films that can be nominated for Best Picture). I'm not a fan of the movie itself, and if you've seen any of my posts, you'd know that I hate comic book films in general, but you have to see where I'm coming from.

Last edited by chuppa chupp: 10-19-2012 at 03:22 PM.
chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattysaurus View Post
The Master will probably have a handful of nominations but I don't think it will win anything.

I'm really excited for Silver Linings Playbook. Loved the book.
Same here, I'm also pretty excited for Les Miserables.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 04:46 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Maybe visual effects.

I here what you are saying and agree that it wont be nominated for best movie. But how on earth doesn't Avengers make for great cinema? :O

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 04:53 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Technical award nominations are certainly possible. Editing is a real stretch, though, and the chance for direction being nominated is slim and none. I would guess the nominated directors will come from this group (in order of most likely):

Ben Affleck - Argo
Tom Hooper - Les Miserables
David O. Russell - Silver Linings Playbook
Paul Thomas Anderson - The Master
Steven Spielberg - Lincoln
Ben Lewin – Sessions
Kathryn Bigelow - Zero Dark Thirty
Ang Lee - Life of Pi
Michael Haneke - Amour
Considering the Oscars have been criticized in the past for ignoring female directors, Cate Shortland may have a very slim a chance to get a nomination for Lore, the few critics who've seen it are raving about her. But the competition will surely be fierce.

And how about Jacques Audillard for Rust and Bone?

Last edited by SB164: 10-19-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 05:04 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I here what you are saying and agree that it wont be nominated for best movie. But how on earth doesn't Avengers make for great cinema? :O
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss The Avengers as a Best Picture nominee. You do know that Avatar, Inception, and District 9 were nominated, right? The Avengers has better critic reviews / ratings than all three.

chuppa chupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:10 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss The Avengers as a Best Picture nominee. You do know that Avatar, Inception, and District 9 were nominated, right? The Avengers has better critic reviews / ratings than all three.
I love The Avengers.. but the oscar for best picture always goes to a movie I havnt seen when the awards take place

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:15 PM
SB164

Quote:
District 9 involved social commentary of post-apartheid South Africa, Inception had a highly original screenplay starring one of Hollywood's most popular leading man, Avatar was directed by Academy favourite James Cameron and was seen by many as a "game-changer" for the advent of 3D movies.

The Avengers? It's good, it met and perhaps even exceeded audience expectations, but I don't know if it's anything beyond a fun, summer blockbuster.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:17 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Considering the Oscars have been criticized in the past for ignoring female directors, Cate Shortland may have a very slim a chance to get a nomination for Lore, the few critics who've seen it are raving about her. But the competition will surely be fierce.

And how about Jacques Audillard for Rust and Bone?
The movie itself wasn't outstanding and considering the Academy rarely gives best director nods to foreign films I would say it is a longshot. Marion Cotillard has a much better chance at getting a best actress nomination in my opinion.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote