HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: CRTC kills Bell's purchase of Astral (UPD: Bell comes up with new deal)

Old
10-18-2012, 10:12 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
lol. No, it's not.
He hears the name and assumes it's the best company in the world.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:31 PM
overlords
Hfboards

This thread has nothing to do with people being anglo or franco or some anglo v. franco debate. Therefore those words shouldn't be popping up, cools?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
CHOM is the Top Station, just because people are not idiots & like the best music.. could you imagine that we would have to kill 3 hours rare for an CFL- Habs-confict? Ther are 800 000 Anglo's in Montreal, not counting allophones. we like our guys, nothing wrong with that. If AM 600 was still around then it would be different, anglo's are being cut out, I really hope were still part of this great City.

Today was good!

That's it, lets get some sports on the air! Hockey!

Nuff Said, there are so many crap frequencies that Bell can apply for an RDS station. It's not about language, it never was. Were all on the same team.. Montreal!... I still hope we are?

Last edited by Player 61: 10-19-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Meanwhile, we still have a monster like Quebecor who is still trying to be as dominant in our market. Deux poids, deux mesures.

Péladeau is rejoicing. I'm not.
Quebecor sucks too but if this deal would had gone through it would have created on giant entity. It's better to have three idiots that compete against one another than one. Already I think the services and channels choices are mediocre from both Bell and Quebecor, I can't imagine if one company would be able to show us the content they wanted...

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:35 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
CHOM is the Top Station, just because people are not idiots & like the best music.. could you imagine that we would have to kill 3 hours rare for an CFL- Habs-confict? Ther are 800 000 Anglo's in Montreal, not counting allophones. we like our guys, nothing wrong with that. If AM 600 was still around then it would be different, anglo's are being cut out, I really hope were still part of this great City.

Today was good!

That's it, lets get some sports on the air! Hockey!

Nuff Said, there are so many crap frequencies that Bell can apply for an RDS station. It's not about language, it never was. Were all on the same team.. Montreal!... I still hope we are?
I thought CHOM would be the most listened radio station because the others are all crap...

Either way, I'm almost pleasantly surprised with the CRTC's decision.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:19 AM
SnapVirus

I still hope Bell will suceed in buying a french-sports radio station. CKAC was much better to listen to than team 690, so much pause, silence, zzzz.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
I still hope Bell will suceed in buying a french-sports radio station. CKAC was much better to listen to than team 690, so much pause, silence, zzzz.
Yes. An RDS Radio would be cool to have.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
I do agree with this. CKAC was entertaining as **** cuzzz.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Undertakerqc

Québecor is one of the biggest company with some of the best paying jobs. He does not like unions, but who does except union leaders. Plus he will bring us the Nordiques!!! A true and proud Quebecer.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Good.

Anything that pisses off Bell is a good thing. They absolutely deserve it for being such a ****** company.

And yes im posting this from a Sympatico connection but that"s because im forced to. I almost feel guilty using their services.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:23 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Québecor is one of the biggest company with some of the best paying jobs. He does not like unions, but who does except union leaders. Plus he will bring us the Nordiques!!! A true and proud Quebecer.
If Peladeau's last name was Palmer he would be one of the most hated men in Quebec.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:00 AM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
If Peladeau's last name was Palmer he would be one of the most hated men in Quebec.
Wait a minute... I thought that Peladeau IS one of the most hated men in Qc.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:03 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
I thought so too

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 11:40 AM
thom

Most of Quebecor's programs are the most watched programs in Quebec he owns an empire maybe some don't like his political leanings.You have a choice don't watch or read his material it's a free country.I respect CBC but never understood why my tax money should go to programs I don't watch or agree with?

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:03 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I respect CBC but never understood why my tax money should go to programs I don't watch or agree with?
Its called being a country. Not every penny is going to be spent for your needs.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Well, he will always have the Patofqcs of the world.

Do Quebecor, Bell, Rogers, etc have any redeeming quality?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

I like how Rogers pays my salary...

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Maybe not although Quebecor wants to bring another team in the Province and have been pushing for a new arena, I guess it's benevolant. (although they didn't pay a cent for the arena)

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Galchenfou

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Yes, it's part of the anti-monopoly laws, which is why we have the CRTC, if I'm not mistaken.
Dumb thing is that they don't consider american channels as competitors of canadian programs in the report. Like american shows didn't challenge canadian's. LOL

Bell would have provided a real competitor to Neflix and Apple TV with the acquisition of Astral. They would have presented an alternative to TVA news in french in the private news department.

I really dislike some canadians/quebecors who are kinda jealous of people or companies who have too much succes and therefore don't want to see them succeed.

Nobody seems to mention Bell donated $3,926,014 to
mental health programs last year and will do so this year and every year coming. And this revenue might just increase if the company gets bigger.

If I do the maths right, Bell not acquiring Astral is a bad thing for people who are hurt of mental illnesses and you guys... enjoy that ?

Galchenfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Galchenfou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Good.

Anything that pisses off Bell is a good thing. They absolutely deserve it for being such a ****** company.

And yes im posting this from a Sympatico connection but that"s because im forced to. I almost feel guilty using their services.

Yeah a company that invents the phone. Builds cellphone towers everywhere in Canada to make sure you get your phone, hfboards, general internet, e-mails, etc. on high speed internet anywhere you are (including wi-fi in McDos and Tim Hortons), send satellites in space to bring you TV, builds a super modern fiber optic network to bring you the best TV quality and internet speed in the WORLD is a **** company.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Galchenfou

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
lol. No, it's not.
I second that

Old
10-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Bell was talking about eliminating an Anglo Station for a French one, when we know in Montreal we should have both. One language should never lose at the cost of another, besides they were going to dump 30 stations across Canada, that 1 Sports Station in Montreal had nothing to do with final decision! or Corporate greed! They thought about all the Canadians that were going to lose their jobs!

Just the way we see it in our City. it wasn't about TSN, it was about them taking over Canada, we would be charged up the arse

Radio is all about the little guys voice, always has been! Nobody ever said that anyone can't open another sports radio station in Montreal in French, just Sports is not 24/7 Hockey!. Just to be honest in Anglo, we talk 24 hours about all sports even USA College basketball, that's why it works in English.

Last edited by Player 61: 10-26-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:04 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Sorry, but they do not pay really well...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:58 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostansin 46 View Post
Yeah a company that invents the phone. Builds cellphone towers everywhere in Canada to make sure you get your phone, hfboards, general internet, e-mails, etc. on high speed internet anywhere you are (including wi-fi in McDos and Tim Hortons), send satellites in space to bring you TV, builds a super modern fiber optic network to bring you the best TV quality and internet speed in the WORLD is a **** company.
Yes, it is a terrible company. It has been ripping off Canadians for the services they provide and pushing out any competition through backdeals with the CRTC for decades. You're probably far too young to remember the long distance prices in the 80s. You're also probably too ignorant to notice how expensive Internet is in Canada and how they are the exclusive reason.

The CRTC is honestly to blame though, as they allowed Bell to get that big. They turned down this Astral deal claiming it would give them a monopoly but Bell has had a duopoly with Rogers for so long it's a funny notion.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Fozz

The less Bell in my life, the better.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote