HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
So if the owners were to get together, without the players, and figure out how to keep contract prices down, that would be cool?
LOL.....

Man that just hit me.....Collusion is against the Rules that NHLPA has set forth. No to mention the fictional bidding war, agents create.....

Old
10-18-2012, 06:11 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
So if the owners were to get together, without the players, and figure out how to keep contract prices down, that would be cool?

So you want the owners to be able to spend millions and millions of dollars on player contracts, and then, once every 7 years, throw their hands up and say, nevermind? Is that what your advocating?

By the way, if they are not talking about keeping costs around the league down during their little one week "Board of Governor" retreats once or twice per year, what in the world are they talking about?

Old
10-18-2012, 06:16 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
So you want the owners to be able to spend millions and millions of dollars on player contracts, and then, once every 7 years, throw their hands up and say, nevermind? Is that what your advocating?

By the way, if they are not talking about keeping costs around the league down during their little one week "Board of Governor" retreats once or twice per year, what in the world are they talking about?
Well the owners could leave the player share alone....

They could find savings else where. I would start with charter flights, No more first class. No more Five star hotels. NO more chefs, the players provide all meals and personal training.

All medical is to be paid by players. All gear is to be funded by the player.

The owners could control those costs....That would really save the struggling franchises some cash(that would also not require revenue sharing). The players would not be happy though. But their share of the pie would not be affected.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:43 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
I'm just asking if you'd be ok with the owners coming up with a solution to their spending problems, without having to consult with the people who you say shouldn't be part of the solution to that particular problem.

If you want the owners to fix their spending issues, then let them fix them. UFA at 35. ELC's at 7 years. No guaranteed contracts. The owners might even sign off on no salary cap for all that. Or, if they need the cap to control the spending, then keep the cap. It's their league, nobody is forcing the players to play in the NHL.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
You are either missing the point or purposely sidestepping it in order to be argumentative. There are other options that will buy the players more time. They don't have to run back. Many of them are making a good wage while being closer to home. The point is that unlike other sports, the players have other options. I'm not sure how we are not on the same page.
The majority of the players sit at home right now...if you haven't noticed.
And the players don't agree to what they make in the NHL. How do you figure they think making 10x less then what they would in the NHL is good wage?

And the NBA players had other options too. In basketball players (Euroleague) in Europe are far more payed then hockey players.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Are you really arguing that Donald Fehr is the one to blame in all of this? Gary Bettman has presided over 3 lockouts over the past 20 years. He canceled an entire season! Think about how crazy that sounds. A commissioner of a professional sports league which generates multiple BILLIONS of dollars per year in revenue actually cancelled an entire year. His reasoning for why the league needed substantial changes in how the league operates was because too many teams were losing money. All of the teams that were in financial trouble were teams that HE placed in sunbelt markets. Gary Bettman has been one of the worst commissioners in the history of professional sports. He almost single handedly is responsible for reducing the popularity of the sport among the "casual fan" in America. He took the sport from ESPN to Versus for crying out loud! Instead of placing franchises in markets that would provide SIGNIFICANT revenue for the league, he placed them in sunbelt communities which generate very little, and instead need to be given a life line by other markets in order to stay viable.

NOW, the league wants the players to take a 7% pay cut, hundreds of millions of dollars, and yet somehow the players should be happy about all of this? This is something that they should roll over and just take, even though the league last year generated record revenue? I choose to side with men, and in a lot of cases young kids, who defied the odds and fought their way into becoming NHL players; rather than a group of BILLIONAIRE owners whose main objective is to generate as much profit they possibly can out of their side business "hobbies."
I'm with you. I'm sick of the league and owners crying poor when they have had increased revenues for years. Why should the players take a cut? It's ridiculous. This whole thing that happened over the past few days was incredibly orchestrated by Bettman and the owners. Put out a normal proposal - unlike that crap they issued this summer - put it on the website for all to see because it makes them look so honest, then as soon as the PA counters it, don't even say we're going to look into it and get back to you, just reject it out of hand. Big drama and the fans have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:48 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Once again, some of you people give Bettman way too much credit.

The guy is a mouth piece for the owners. If a season is lost it has ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ZEROOOOOOOOO ZEROOOOOOOOO ZEROOOOOO

To do with Gary Betman. The guy doesn't tell the owners to DO ANYTHING.

The Owners run the show..... PERIOD. Don't be so naive.
They don't pay him his insane salary to just be a mouthpiece, he has to take all 30 owners into a consideration and put a proposal to them about what's best for the league as a whole. Some of you make it sound like he has no input but of course he has a ton of input, you have single owners, companies who own teams, small, medium and large market teams, teams that are making a ton of money (almost all of them in Canada) that support teams that have very little interest (sunbelt teams) so he has to deal with all of that. He isn't just a puppet.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:52 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Put it this way, this is a perfect example of how much someone wants to buy a loser.

Take the Yotes for example, How many Smart, Rich , people were lined up to buy that franchise ?

It's 150 million plus about 50 million in losses so 200 mill total.....No one with any real money wants to buy that franchise....WHY?

CAUSE IT LOSSES MONEY. It doesn't turn a profit, 200 mill for a sports franchise is peanuts.

The loser Browns of the NFL just sold for 1 BILLION. The guy that's buying (PHX) wants to move it(cause his share holders want a return). So he is getting the league to subsidize a lot of his losses through backroom deals.

So in the end the (Canada teams are going to subsidize PHX's move) Cause no one with real money (Rich) will buy that team.
Why would anyone buy that franchise and keep it in that market? It should have never been put there in the first place. The whole sunbelt project is another brilliant part to Bettman's legacy of failure.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:10 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
I'm just asking if you'd be ok with the owners coming up with a solution to their spending problems, without having to consult with the people who you say shouldn't be part of the solution to that particular problem.

If you want the owners to fix their spending issues, then let them fix them. UFA at 35. ELC's at 7 years. No guaranteed contracts. The owners might even sign off on no salary cap for all that. Or, if they need the cap to control the spending, then keep the cap. It's their league, nobody is forcing the players to play in the NHL.

This is rediculous. The owners want the players to take a 7% pay cut while giving them nothing in return. Not ONE single thing. If you were in their position, would you take that? Does that seem fair to you? I think not.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:38 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
This is rediculous. The owners want the players to take a 7% pay cut while giving them nothing in return. Not ONE single thing. If you were in their position, would you take that? Does that seem fair to you? I think not.
Is it fair? Within the context of being a professional hockey player, playing in the top league in the industry the world over, in the year 2012, and all that comes with that? I wouldn't call it unfair.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:42 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Not to pick on people,

But this reminds me of how my small company was closed (by me).

I use to own a sign company here in the central valley. I had 25 employee's.

Now my company made enough REVENUE (not profit); to pay my people, bills (taxes , overhead ETC). Also allow me to expand at a small rate. Then put about 70k dollars in my pocket.

Not bad for a 25 year old back in the day. Well my employee's figured since I expanded yearly, and gave small raises. They were entitled to more, higher raises.

Now keep in mind my profit stayed about 70k through the years; cause I put a vast majority of the money Back into the company.

I paid a competitive wage to start. People with just a JC or High school education were making 12 to 15 an hour at my company.

We also didn't work Monday.....I hated Monday.

But none the less they thought since I AM RICH(cause I own the place, I must be)...... I should pay more to them. Well I was open to it, provided they work more(IE more hours, more days).....

That didn't fly, so they tried to unionize. Now that is their right as Americans. But it is also my right to just close the place down.

Which is what I did. The moral of the story I guess is.
If you think you are worth more(than what the owner is willing to pay); you need to start your own endeavor. That comes with all the risk/personal finance losses/responsibility that comes with it.
I'm self employed, have been for ten years and there is no way I am going to compare what I do to what a league of 30 owners does. Even if I had employees, people wouldn't be paying to watch them work. You can't compare anything that we do to pro sports teams, movies, TV etc., it's apples to oranges. These guys have not learned to walk away from overpaying mediocre players and that is part of why so many of the have not teams are in trouble. The league was able to move Atlanta's team to Winnipeg and should do the same with Phoenix, that would solve a very big issue, but Bettman's pride won't allow it. He will go to his grave trying to get people in the southern US to love a game they have almost no interest in.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:04 PM
HockeyCA

Quote:
Is it fair? Within the context of being a professional hockey player, playing in the top league in the industry the world over, in the year 2012, and all that comes with that? I wouldn't call it unfair.
Ahh. The whole "you should just be happy the be here" approach... Ok then.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:09 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I'm self employed, have been for ten years and there is no way I am going to compare what I do to what a league of 30 owners does. Even if I had employees, people wouldn't be paying to watch them work. You can't compare anything that we do to pro sports teams, movies, TV etc., it's apples to oranges. These guys have not learned to walk away from overpaying mediocre players and that is part of why so many of the have not teams are in trouble. The league was able to move Atlanta's team to Winnipeg and should do the same with Phoenix, that would solve a very big issue, but Bettman's pride won't allow it. He will go to his grave trying to get people in the southern US to love a game they have almost no interest in.
Winnipeg lost a team once because of what? Also, I guess you are in favor of moving the kings as well?

Both sides are at fault, nobody is disagreeing with that. Would it make you all warm and fuzzy inside if the owners came out and said they caved to the 57% on the last CBA to finally play hockey? Bottom line is the current model is broke. NHL players have it good in comparison to other pro sports. 57% is just too high for any pro sport. I understand the reasons for the players not to like it, but in reality they stand to lose alot more if the season is canceled. Not to mention the way they are handling this whole negotiation. At least bettman had the marbles to post thier proposal to the world. I would bet that the pa won't fully disclose thier 3 proposals. Fehr an the players union are just going to hurt themselves more if they continue with their current negotiation tactics.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
That's your opinion. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. The analogy I provided is real life.

It's the same principle as the owners are trying to argue. The simple fact is, the players and owners are both screwed with another lost season.

Everyone can kick scream cry foul. But they both lose with another canceled season... So both sides are dooming themselves to failure.

I feel zero sympathy for either side. I understand how the owners feel (the one's losing money) I understand how the players feel.

But until they both realize they need each other for the league to thrive....... The NHL is screwed.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-18-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old
10-18-2012, 09:11 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Winnipeg lost a team once because of what? Also, I guess you are in favor of moving the kings as well?

Both sides are at fault, nobody is disagreeing with that. Would it make you all warm and fuzzy inside if the owners came out and said they caved to the 57% on the last CBA to finally play hockey? Bottom line is the current model is broke. NHL players have it good in comparison to other pro sports. 57% is just too high for any pro sport. I understand the reasons for the players not to like it, but in reality they stand to lose alot more if the season is canceled. Not to mention the way they are handling this whole negotiation. At least bettman had the marbles to post thier proposal to the world. I would bet that the pa won't fully disclose thier 3 proposals. Fehr an the players union are just going to hurt themselves more if they continue with their current negotiation tactics.
I'm in favour of moving any team that repeatedly loses a ton of money. It's not right that the teams that make huge amounts of money have to subsidize the Phoenix's, Florida's and Tampa Bays. Bettman was hellbent on getting teams into the sunbelt and it hasn't worked, we could easily support a second team in the Toronto area and then we take a look at Phoenix and Florida who charge a fraction of what the Leafs do and throw in food and parking. It's really frustrating being a hockey fan up here because you can't get tickets and when you do the prices are through the roof.

Don't be fooled by Bettman putting the offer out there, he did it for one reason and that was to make it look like they have nothing to hide. Everything that happened over the past 3 days was propaganda. And if the current model is "broke", whose fault is it? Bettman said a salary cap was needed and a rollback in salaries and now he's crying poor? If this failed, he needs to go, he was the architect behind it and now he wants more and more even though he keeps telling fans that the league is stronger than it's ever been.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:12 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
That's your opinion. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. The analogy I provided is real life.

It's the same principle as the owners are trying to argue. The simple fact is, the players and owners are both screwed with another lost season.

Everyone can kick scream cry foul. But they both lose with another canceled season... So both sides are dooming themselves to failure.

I feel zero sympathy for either side. I understand how the owners feel (the one's losing money) I understand how the players feel.

But until they both realize they need each other for the league to thrive....... The NHL is screwed.
Sure, it's real life to most people. The NHL is not real life, it's entertainment. I'm saying you can't compare your business or my business to the NHL, we are not in the same class. Nobody pays to watch us do our job.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:21 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Sure, it's real life to most people. The NHL is not real life, it's entertainment. I'm saying you can't compare your business or my business to the NHL, we are not in the same class. Nobody pays to watch us do our job.
Yes you can. The same basic principles apply to any company(league, Private party, corporation) wanting to make money. It doesn't matter if you are making pencils or nuclear bombs, or providing entertainment. All for profit entities are ran on the same basic principles. You as a self employed person should know that.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:33 PM
KingLB

Quote:
I'm in favour of moving any team that repeatedly loses a ton of money. It's not right that the teams that make huge amounts of money have to subsidize the Phoenix's, Florida's and Tampa Bays. Bettman was hellbent on getting teams into the sunbelt and it hasn't worked, we could easily support a second team in the Toronto area and then we take a look at Phoenix and Florida who charge a fraction of what the Leafs do and throw in food and parking. It's really frustrating being a hockey fan up here because you can't get tickets and when you do the prices are through the roof.

Don't be fooled by Bettman putting the offer out there, he did it for one reason and that was to make it look like they have nothing to hide. Everything that happened over the past 3 days was propaganda. And if the current model is "broke", whose fault is it? Bettman said a salary cap was needed and a rollback in salaries and now he's crying poor? If this failed, he needs to go, he was the architect behind it and now he wants more and more even though he keeps telling fans that the league is stronger than it's ever been.
We've explained this many times before. There are haves, middle guys and have nots. If you move all the have nots and they become haves. The bottom end of the middle guys become have nots (increased Revenue from Yotes>Quebec raises the cap etc). The Ducks can't spend the cap now, imagine if in a few years the cap was 80-85 million....the Ducks would be no better off than the Isle/Panthers etc. Until you get a sustainable model in place moving around the chairs on Titanic does nothing because MTL/Tor/NY (and a few others) will always have a private yaht to take them away and the remaining teams will be fighting for the 5-10 spots that aren't going to completely drown.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:37 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
We've explained this many times before. There are haves, middle guys and have nots. If you move all the have nots and they become haves. The bottom end of the middle guys become have nots (increased Revenue from Yotes>Quebec raises the cap etc). The Ducks can't spend the cap now, imagine if in a few years the cap was 80-85 million....the Ducks would be no better off than the Isle/Panthers etc. Until you get a sustainable model in place moving around the chairs on Titanic does nothing because MTL/Tor/NY (and a few others) will always have a private yaht to take them away and the remaining teams will be fighting for the 5-10 spots that aren't going to completely drown.
Someone will always be at the bottom.....

But what you want is the bottom to be profitable...Like the NFL has.

But the NFL has a very nice T.V deal. The NHL does not have that luxury. So the players AND owners have to subsidize those lower end teams. If they want to keep 30 teams that is. (which BOTH DO).

The NHLPA should stipulate the rollbacks go straight to revenue sharing.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-18-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old
10-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Scottkmlps

So the union admitted to not crunching the numbers on the 3rd proposal? Good job Fehr on making your whole following look like a bunch of nimrods.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Once they figure out they have no leverage (again) they will probably be thinking just that. After all, the league could dissolve tomorrow and the owners will still be rich. There wouldn't be a lockout if there weren't financial issues. If the economy takes a dive again AND there is some fan backlash, it won't matter how many percentage points the players end up with.

The thing you don't seem to understand is a lot of us aren't on either side. I just don't know what the players are trying to accomplish. Is 7% worth missing a whole season for? I'm not a math major but Mike Modano said it best when he said he lost $7m he'll never get back in 2004.

There is a workable deal out there but it isn't going to put itself together. Every thing the players union has done s far appears to be stall tactics to try and put pressure on the owners. That's nice and hopefully it works for them but if they don't start compromising on their proposals then it might be a while before they see another paycheck. How long can they go without a paycheck? What will the revenue be like if fans backlash and/or the economy takes another dive? Is that worth a roll of the dice on a handful of percentage points? Maybe to Donald Fehr...

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 10-18-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old
10-18-2012, 09:49 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Once they figure out they have no leverage (again) they will probably be thinking just that. After all, the league could dissolve tomorrow and the owners will still be rich. There wouldn't be a lockout if there weren't financial issues. If the economy takes a dive again AND there is some fan backlash, it won't matter how many percentage points the players end up with.

The thing you don't seem to understand is a lot of us aren't on either side. I just don't know what the players are trying to accomplish. Is 7% worth missing a whole season for? I'm not a math major but Mike Modano said it best when he said he lost $7m he'll never get back in 2004.
They simply don't want to budge on the current 1.4 billion or so they made last year.

But the longer this goes on.....The more that becomes a moot point.

They will make far less(lost wages), they can't recuperate those losses.....EVER. Just like Mike Modano pointed out.....It's not worth it.

Old
10-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Master Yoda
Master Deano

Quote:
Maybe I've got it all wrong, but they should be happy to be there. What makes them above everyone else? Because other people pay to watch them? I'm happy that I have a job. I'm thankful that I wasn't a casualty of the recession. I always cry and moan about my low salary but I know that I'm far better off then a couple of the guys I know who lost their jobs recently.

I can understand people siding with players because they earn a paycheck just like the most of us. And just like us, would like to be paid better with better benefits. A big difference would be that they have a union that fights for those things while I don't have one of those. So when my employer says they lost money last year so they can't give me a raise or pay bonuses, I say okay as long as all of us still have jobs.

Some of these players make more than 100 times what I make a year. And they're complaining about a 10% salary decrease after they collective saw their pay increase by almost 100% in less than 10 years? What is making it worse is that these idiot players keep spewing crap all over the internet. (Thank goodness no Kings player has made themselves look foolish- yet). But they shall get no sympathy from me. Neither shall the owners. Bad business decisions, specifically giving out ridiculous contracts.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

There is a workable deal out there but it isn't going to put itself together. Every thing the players union has done s far appears to be stall tactics to try and put pressure on the owners. That's nice and hopefully it works for them but if they don't start compromising on their proposals then it might be a while before they see another paycheck. How long can they go without a paycheck? What will the revenue be like if fans backlash and/or the economy takes another dive? Is that worth a roll of the dice on a handful of percentage points? Maybe to Donald Fehr...
Totally agree, Buddy.

Like I said before, if stupid Fehr would just try to work with the league, come back with a proposal based on the owners offer with no rollbacks, starting at 54% and ratcheting down to 50%-50% , we would be trying to win a second Stanley Cup right now. But Fehr just wants to be tough and keep pushing his agenda.

This could be all just part of the negotiation and process of the deal, but it can be real frustrating to us fans. We're all pretty sure where this will end up, so it's like make a deal already. But when two(or way more) lawyers get involved, it's going to take a long time.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
I'm with you. I'm sick of the league and owners crying poor when they have had increased revenues for years. Why should the players take a cut? It's ridiculous. This whole thing that happened over the past few days was incredibly orchestrated by Bettman and the owners. Put out a normal proposal - unlike that crap they issued this summer - put it on the website for all to see because it makes them look so honest, then as soon as the PA counters it, don't even say we're going to look into it and get back to you, just reject it out of hand. Big drama and the fans have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.
I assume you are also asking for the NHLPA to put their (normal) proposal(s) on the web for all to see?

Closed Thread