HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NY Mets/Yankees Discussion Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Original Rob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Harvey looks truly fantastic out there.

First pitcher in the modern era to have 2 base hits & 10+ks in his debut. pretty awesome.

Oh please, please work out for us. It's been so long since the Mets have had a home grown pitching stud. Hell only Bobby Jones, Mike Pelfrey, John Maine & Jon Niese have even been halfway decent as Mets since Gooden. That's a ridiculously awful track record.
Harvey looked awesome last night.

I wouldn't call Pelfrey halfway decent. Maybe a quarter-way decent. Niese is pretty good, hopefully a solid #3-4 for a long-time. And John Maine wasn't homegrown - he was acquired from Baltimore before the '06 season. But he was pretty clutch in the '06season - pretty sure he started game 1 of the playoffs against the Dodgers.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Isles Junkie

That's right, I forgot about trading for Maine.

Pelfrey had some solid seasons. His problem was he was rushed to the bigs & never developed a secondary pitch in the minors.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
I remember attending Mike Pelfrey's debut on accident as it was the second game of a doubleheader. It was a blowout as the Mets 17-1 but Pelfrey had some nice stuff.

But Harvey topped that performance x2. His performance was probably equal to Strasburg's debut if you think about it.
Me too I think Jose Valentine hit a grand slam early on also.. Great game.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Bunk Moreland

Wow Niese just fell apart in the second inning, a walk with the bases loaded, a one run single and then throws a dribbler away allowing three runs to score.. Yikes...

Old
07-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Bunk Moreland

And the Mets are....

Old
09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Isles Junkie

Good job by the Mets fans cheering Chipper.

I loved that sign. "Hats off to Chipper, Don't Let the Door Hit You."

Old
10-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Ibanez strikes again!!! 4-4 in the Bronx!!!

GM 1 ALCS

10-13-2012, 11:16 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Ibanez strikes again!!! 4-4 in the Bronx!!!

GM 1 ALCS
Become a pretty good game

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Jeter done for the season with broken ankle.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...alcs-1.4110312

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Oh well Yankees. We re-tool and try again next year.

Bigger question, what to do with A-rod?

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Isles Junkie

I think the only thing in NY sports history more pathetic than the whole Arod situation, was Milburys tenure as GM.

Good lord what a disaster. Shame on any team who helps out the yankees and trades for him. Even if they offer to pay his full salary.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I think the only thing in NY sports history more pathetic than the whole Arod situation, was Milburys tenure as GM.
Are we just learning this now? It was evident to everyone the moment A-Rod was extended. The contract had steroid-era expectations at the end of the steroid era. This was completely foreseeable, and Cashman foresaw it.

Let's face it. This is the cost of how the Yankees do business. You can't talk about the proud Yankee tradition, the glitz, etc. You can't talk about spending money to make money and pretend, somehow, that the back end of contracts like A-Rod's isn't part of it.

If I were a Yankee fan, I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about Robinson Cano taking over the "lightning rod" role from A-Rod than A-Rod signing balls. Good luck with that.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Bones45

funny how quiet this thread is when they lose. If they won, it would be blowing up.

I used to be a huge Yanks fan -- 80's and early 90's. Followed my boy Mattingly.

Then? Something happened. They turned into an all-star team. Fun to watch though. and their fans? Far too many douchy ones for me to tolerate..Now.. I root for them to lose.

(no, Im not a bitter Mets fan).

Ok..Guess Im done now...

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
funny how quiet this thread is when they lose. If they won, it would be blowing up.

I used to be a huge Yanks fan -- 80's and early 90's. Followed my boy Mattingly.

Then? Something happened. They turned into an all-star team. Fun to watch though. and their fans? Far too many douchy ones for me to tolerate..Now.. I root for them to lose.

Ok..Guess Im done now...
This thread has been quiet all year. These threads back 2-3 years ago used to have multiple threads as each would go well over 1,000 posts. A large % of the good posters on this board left within that time frame and many were huge baseball fans.

As for fans being douchy, the mets fans I know are no better. In fact they are worse. They would rather see the Yankees lose than the mets win. That, to me, is laughable.

As for the Yankees... this was coming all year. When you rely on homeruns to score 50% of your runs that can work during the season but not in the playoffs. It's a minor miracle they got past Baltimore in the first place.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:43 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Ok..Guess Im done now...
I was huge Reggie Jackson fan as a kid. I quit following the Yankees when they let Reggie go.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Oh well Yankees. We re-tool and try again next year.

Bigger question, what to do with A-rod?
Thankfully the Yankees are a professional organization and dont act on the whims of the fans. They will see what they have with Arod and see if he can handle the stress tests and physicals. I still say they keep him, because as a business man why wouldn't you? He is 53 Home runs away from 700 and after that point they will sell out every game in every stadium he plays in hoping to catch 701-702-703 etc... Barring any major injury he needs to average 25 home runs for the next 5 years to break Barry Bonds record. It can happen and it will happen.

That is why he will remain as a Yankee, I am an Arod fan and always will be. He has given us a world series title and 2 MVP seasons. I feel Girardi gave him a raw deal when the blame should fall on Robinson Cano, Nick Swisher (whom I have always hated) and Curtis Granderson.

In the end the 2012 season came down to this: they ran out of gas, they were battling neck and neck the whole month of September. They overcame injuries all season and clinched the division on the last day and played Baltimore who played us hard all season long. We went into Detroit like the Islanders went into Edmonton in 1984. Tired and Beaten up!

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:57 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I was huge Reggie Jackson fan as a kid. I quit following the Yankees when they let Reggie go.
Bucky Dent was the final straw. I hated Steingrabber. 1983, fortunately, was a good time to fall in love with the Mets - until Bonilla.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:51 PM
scott99

Quote:

Ok..Guess Im done now...

The 1998 Yankees might have been the best MLB team ever, yet not one Yankee had 30 homeruns. How is that a team of all stars ? That team was 125-50 (including playoffs), and they just played baseball the way baseball is supposed to be played. Tough to strike out, very patient hitters, always moving base runners over with bunts or hit and run, great clutch pitching (pre-Clemens). I'm sorry you jumped off the bandwagon prior to the 1996 and 1998 Yankees, they were far from Allstar teams, they were just great TEAMS that hated to lose, and would do anything to win. The 2012 Yankees were the exact opposite of the 1998 Yanks. I still give them credit though, despite an incredible amount of injuries, they still made it to the ALCS.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
KyleBailey12

As a yankee fan, I dislike A-Rod as much as the next guy, but letting him go doesn't solve anything.

He was horrible this post season yes, but so was everyone else. If you trade A-Rod for a bad postseason then you let go Granderson, Cano, Swisher, Martin. They all played terrible. I just think because of A-Rod's paycheck it's easier to point him out.

Not saying I think it's acceptable, but the yanks postseason woes can't be put only on him.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote