HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Youth hockey

Old
10-19-2012, 07:59 AM
redman

vCash: 500
Youth hockey

Can anybody explain to me why USA hockey uses the calander year, ie. January-December, to determine age groups? All other youth sports in the U.S. use a calander similar to the school year, ie..Aug/Sept-July/Aug?

redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Because it's the same as what the IIHF use

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Malreg

It's also the same calendar that Hockey Canada uses.

Malreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:00 AM
redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
It's also the same calendar that Hockey Canada uses.
I guess they mirror it so teams and participate in tournaments in both U.S. and Canada.

I think though it should follow suit with most other sports and go the school year calander. Too many kids playing first year age bracket, ie peewee minor, are on teams with kids 2 grades ahead.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They must have changed it...my birthday was 3 days after the cutoff (in July), so I played with kids two grades below me.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:36 AM
redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
They must have changed it...my birthday was 3 days after the cutoff (in July), so I played with kids two grades below me.
which works out better for you, as you were probably a team leader. Kids 2 grades down get left out because they are immature compared with the older kids.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Jive Time

Adding some color to this discussion, check out this ESPN article on Malcolm Gladwell's book "Outliers":

Q&A with Malcolm Gladwell

Excerpts:

The first chapter in "Outliers" is about how some Canadian hockey players born in the first months of the year enjoy advantages that those born later in the year don't have. You also write that birth month correlates closely with success in other sports. Why is this?

It's a beautiful example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. In Canada, the eligibility cutoff for age-class hockey programs is Jan. 1. Canada also takes hockey really seriously, so coaches start streaming the best hockey players into elite programs, where they practice more and play more games and get better coaching, as early as 8 or 9. But who tends to be the "best" player at age 8 or 8? The oldest, of course -- the kids born nearest the cut-off date, who can be as much as almost a year older than kids born at the other end of the cut-off date. When you are 8 years old, 10 or 11 extra months of maturity means a lot.

So those kids get special attention. That's why there are more players in the NHL born in January and February and March than any other months. You see the same pattern, to an even more extreme degree, in soccer in Europe and baseball here in the U.S. It's one of those bizarre, little-remarked-upon facts of professional sports. They're biased against kids with the wrong birthday.

The research you cite about birth months goes back as far as 2001. Do you know of any junior sports leagues that are trying to change the way they sift talent in order to level the playing field?

As far as I know, none. I brought up this very fact with one of the most senior officials in the Canadian national junior hockey program, and pointed out that Canada was squandering the talents of hundreds of boys with late birthdays. I asked [an official] why he didn't just start a parallel league, with a cut-off in late summer. He shrugged and said it would be complicated. Complicated! I don't think, as a society, we are always particularly smart about how to make the best use of our talent. And if we're this bad at sports, imagine how bad we are at other things -- like getting the most out of young people's brains?

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:48 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

The above post is very Intresting, I've never seen is they way but it makes a lot of sense and is true.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:41 PM
redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
The above post is very Intresting, I've never seen is they way but it makes a lot of sense and is true.
are all youth sports in Canada calender year, or just hockey?

Old
10-21-2012, 06:55 PM
epo

We use YOB for sports, but we also use it for school.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 07:24 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
are all youth sports in Canada calender year, or just hockey?
From what I know yes all of them are.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote