HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Unpopular Opinions You Have About the Team/Individual Players

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2012, 12:37 PM
  #126
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
The FO's plan to bring him in to replace Jagr's production was a failure from the start. Hossa was plan A, Jagr was plan B, Nazzy was plan C. If we hadn't singed Redden we could've afforded to keep both Jagr and Nazzy and things migth've been better.
I don't think he was ever looked at as a real replacement, someone who would fill the gap completely. Just as a decent offensive player to try to fix things up somewhat.

Quote:
Radek Dvorak. I thought they should have brought him back as a 3rd liner last year. Another favorite.
I liked Dvorak a lot. He was never the same after blowing out his knee but he's been in the NHL for quite awhile now as a good 3rd line player. Shame he never put it all together for a long stretch,, and he was damn fast too.

Quote:
Jaromir Jagr's time with the Rangers was overrated. Great individual accomplishment. In hindsight, not a very memorable time as a team. Noteworthy because it was the end of the dark years.
Those teams were basically one really cool top line, a bunch of "meh" players, and a great goalie.

I like almost all of the players on the current team these days, but back then it was really the "Jagr and buddies with a guest appearance by Lundqvist" show

Quote:
Poor drafting aside, Christian Dube and Manny Malhotra would've been solid players for us if we didn't screw it up.
I kind of disagree about Malhotra at least. I don't think he was ever going to be more than he panned out to be in the NHL. He could have been a valuable, solid player for the Rangers if they hadn't jumped the gun and traded him, and if the Rangers coaching hadn't been terrible back then, but I think his upside was a 3rd line player max

Levitate is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 02:02 PM
  #127
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!
 
SixGoalieSystem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 2,470
vCash: 50
- Not strictly about the team, but I'm hoping the lockout lasts a few more weeks. My local team here in Norway just signed two NHL players (Skille and Engelland), and I'd hate to see the lockout end without them even getting a chance to make an impact or even play a game (scheduled to play thursday).

- I'm not sold on MDZ as a top 4 d-man

- I think Bickel will turn out to be a very useful 6th D-man

- Think Cally gets a free pass from many during periods where he's not playing at his highest level.

SixGoalieSystem is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 02:30 PM
  #128
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I kind of disagree about Malhotra at least. I don't think he was ever going to be more than he panned out to be in the NHL. He could have been a valuable, solid player for the Rangers if they hadn't jumped the gun and traded him, and if the Rangers coaching hadn't been terrible back then, but I think his upside was a 3rd line player max
I love this thread. Best one we've had in a while.

Regarding Malhotra (I know it sounds like a play). I always felt like Malhotra could've been more than he is now. He needed one more year of juniors and allowed to play in a more offensive role, as he had in the OHL playoffs. From there, he should've been eased into the Rangers lineup as a bottom six forward.

I think there was just too many factors working against him at that time. I really feel he had a chance to be a solid second line center if his development was handled differently.

Edge is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 02:34 PM
  #129
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,441
vCash: 500
Could be. I guess it's sometimes hard to tell when a guy has some potential that he could develop and when he has really tapped out the extent of his skills. Manny really has/had stone hands and I'm not sure that's something that could be developed more, but realistically the Rangers should have left him in juniors regardless

Levitate is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
  #130
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,435
vCash: 500
I never thought Manny was going to be an offensive weapon, but I honestly thought he had the ability to be a 2nd line center who, while not the offensive catalyst on the line, was adept enough not to be a hindrance to offensive production. A slightly less potent Chris Drury, if you will.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
  #131
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !
 
x BEUKEBOOM x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY Rangerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
It may have just been managment putting spin thought media connections but I remember reading somewhere (NYPost, DailyNews, or THN) that Malhotra punched his own ticket out of town by insisting behind the scenes that he was a first line player, and not giving his all after being told by managment that was not how they projected his talent and that was not how they were going to groom him.

It was one of those scribes as that was all there was to read back then in my part of NY.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
  #132
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
It may have just been managment putting spin thought media connections but I remember reading somewhere (NYPost, DailyNews, or THN) that Malhotra punched his own ticket out of town by insisting behind the scenes that he was a first line player, and not giving his all after being told by managment that was not how they projected his talent and that was not how they were going to groom him.

It was one of those scribes as that was all there was to read back then in my part of NY.
I don't remember that. I do remember that Smith and Muckler had differing opinions on what he he was. Neither thought he was a first line player however.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 01:57 AM
  #133
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Sean Avery might be the most polite professional sports player I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

NYRSinceBirth is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 02:20 AM
  #134
TUQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Unpopular opinion:

Marek Malik was a very good defenseman with great vision, very good first pass and without that bit of speed that would make him a first pair defenseman on almost any team. The reason everyone hated him here was the fact that he did not use his size as is expected from anyone that big. Due to this fact he was getting a beating from the fans for small mistakes that any other defenseman, especially Fedor Tjutin, on the team were given a free pass for.

TUQ is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 02:25 AM
  #135
dynamoovechkin
Registered User
 
dynamoovechkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Unpopular opinions:

I hated Scott Gomez, but I was thrilled when we got him and Drury- the two best centers available on the market at the time. Liked him as a Ranger- for about 5 minutes.

I thought Mike Gartner and Ray Ferraro were great Rangers and got a raw deal.

I loved what Eric Lindros gave us when he was here.

Glen Sather has been brilliant at times.

This whole "playing in the fishbowl that is NY" excuse is a crock.

Dan Girardi is overrated, but an extreme overachiever based on his skill set.

Kovalev was ostracized by his teammates at times because his otherworldly skill stole the limelight.

Derek Stepan is not a big game player as a pro. His disappearing act in two playoffs in a row infuriated me.

Henrik Lundquist has some serious brainfarts sometimes, as much as it pains me to say it.

Gaborik takes way too much flak from this board. I love what the guy gives us, even if he is not a leader in the big games.

I am super happy with Anton Stralman.

I think it's cool that I got to see Guy Lafleur, Marcel Dionne and Wayne Gretzky as Rangers, even if it was on the downside of their careers.

I am a big Kovalchuk fan. We should have gone after him.

dynamoovechkin is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM
  #136
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Henrik Lundquist has some serious brainfarts sometimes, as much as it pains me to say it.
I have to admit that I've often said the same thing.

Edge is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 08:50 AM
  #137
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Unpopular opinions:

Gaborik takes way too much flak from this board. I love what the guy gives us, even if he is not a leader in the big games.

Gaborik has done everything thats been asked of him IMO.

People just like to *****, plain and simple.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 08:58 AM
  #138
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Gomez was obviously extremely overpaid, but his play was on par with where he had always been.

Never cared for Drury.

I think Gaborik can go down as one of the best Rangers in the last 20+ years. I wanna see him get some records in blue.

Hank is better than Richter. Not necessarily unpopular, but I dont think a Cup should keep him from viewing him in that light.

I like Stralman and Bickel.

This fanbase annoys the **** outta me sometimes. Clamoring for Avery last year made us look like a bunch of morons. Enough of Avery. Get over him. Move on.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:02 AM
  #139
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Gomez was obviously extremely overpaid, but his play was on par with where he had always been.

Never cared for Drury.

I think Gaborik can go down as one of the best Rangers in the last 20+ years. I wanna see him get some records in blue.

Hank is better than Richter. Not necessarily unpopular, but I dont think a Cup should keep him from viewing him in that light.

I like Stralman and Bickel.

This fanbase annoys the **** outta me sometimes. Clamoring for Avery last year made us look like a bunch of morons. Enough of Avery. Get over him. Move on.
If Gomez's play was on par with where it always was, the same was true for Drury.

Not sure what record Gaborik will really have a good shot at.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:08 AM
  #140
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If Gomez's play was on par with where it always was, the same was true for Drury.

Not sure what record Gaborik will really have a good shot at.

Gomez was the more effective player however. His point totals were right on par with where they shouldve been and he was more consistent.

Drury was over-glorified for some clutch moments in his career. Wonderful. He had one good year here. Great defensively, but for that much?

Goals. Two more 40-goal seasons puts him at 185, or 15th on the list for the franchise, but its obvious hes not getting two more seasons of 40. One more season could happen though. Not bad for a guy only here for what would be 5 years to finish at least top 20.

His GPG is 6th in franchise history. Thats nothing to gawk at for a nearly 90 year old franchise (albeit a subpar one)


Last edited by AceintheSpace*: 10-19-2012 at 10:14 AM.
AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
  #141
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title
 
bettercallstaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wingdale
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,849
vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
Unpopular opinion:

Marek Malik was a very good defenseman with great vision, very good first pass and without that bit of speed that would make him a first pair defenseman on almost any team. The reason everyone hated him here was the fact that he did not use his size as is expected from anyone that big. Due to this fact he was getting a beating from the fans for small mistakes that any other defenseman, especially Fedor Tjutin, on the team were given a free pass for.
I seem to remember him more for being a turnover machine. To think that Malik and Rozsíval used to be our top d pair is kind of hilarious.

bettercallstaal is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
  #142
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Gomez was the more effective player however. His point totals were right on par with where they shouldve been and he was more consistent.

Drury was over-glorified for some clutch moments in his career. Wonderful. He had one good year here. Great defensively, but for that much?

Goals. Two more 40-goal seasons puts him at 185, or 15th on the list for the franchise, but its obvious hes not getting two more seasons of 40. One more season could happen though. Not bad for a guy only here for what would be 5 years to finish at least top 20.

His GPG is 6th in franchise history. Thats nothing to gawk at for a nearly 90 year old franchise (albeit a subpar one)
Drury's season (aside from his last two) were basically what he was a mid-50 point player.

Gomez being more effective is a judgement call and really can't be judged by facts.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:30 AM
  #143
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,191
vCash: 500
I am a fan of Brian Boyle as a 3rd line center. Yes, I said it. He is difficult to play against and while he isn't overly skilled, he gets the job done and should allow for (2) more offensive wingers to concentrate on the offense. While he and Prust worked well together defensively, I think that was part of the reason that line struggled so much on offense.

I like the idea of playing Bickel on defense. He keeps the game simple and will stick up for his teammates.

I still do not like the contract given out to Brad Richards.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:35 AM
  #144
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
I loved what Eric Lindros gave us when he was here.
I did too. I honestly liked him and Theo Fleury on the same team, but the team was such a **** show back then and those two obviously had their own problems.

Quote:
Glen Sather has been brilliant at times.
Agreed, and honestly I haven't minded him as GM lately, though I think he's also made some terrible moves over the course of his tenure.

Quote:
This whole "playing in the fishbowl that is NY" excuse is a crock.
Also agree. There's more scrutiny than in smaller markets but it's nowhere near what it is on a Canadian team or something. NHLers can be pretty anonymous in NYC and the media isn't nearly as harsh as people make it out to be...there's a couple of beat writers that care and the rest of the sports media cares about baseball and football

Quote:
Derek Stepan is not a big game player as a pro. His disappearing act in two playoffs in a row infuriated me.
I'm giving him some slack because he's still a young player...keep in mind that he's only played two seasons, and he's not a great talent by himself. I think he needs to step it up but I can't toss a young player who scored 50+ points last year under the bus yet.

Quote:
Henrik Lundquist has some serious brainfarts sometimes, as much as it pains me to say it.
I think every goalie has them, no matter who they are, Lundqvist's can just be more noticeable because he's usually so damn good.

Quote:
Gaborik takes way too much flak from this board. I love what the guy gives us, even if he is not a leader in the big games.
Word. He's not perfect but he's a really good player for the Rangers


I think Bickel could be a good 6th-7th defenseman and he has more skills than your typical bottom pairing, punch guys for a living defenseman. He skates decently, he handles the puck with some confidence, he just doesn't seem to have really figured out how to play within his talents and not take unnecessary risks. maybe he'll never figure that out, maybe he can't read the play well enough, but he's got a bit of talent

Levitate is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 06:35 PM
  #145
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I'm sick to death of hearing about '94.

Those of us who remember, even if only barely, aren't going to forget. Those of us who don't are even more sick.

Time to move on.

I agree.

They milk the **** out of 1994.

Enough. Its ****ing pathetic and embarrassing.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:01 PM
  #146
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,606
vCash: 500
I also liked Malik. He had some gaffes but overall played well especially at the end of 06-07 and in the playoffs (except for the one turnover in the Buffalo series game 2).

Avery=overrated.

Gomez was fine as a Ranger but obviously Sather and comp knew something because his decline at such a young age is startling.

I'm very happy with Torts but I think Renney got a bad deal at the end. Wasn't his fault, was the personnel and I'll always consider Tom Renney one of my favorite Rangers coaches along with Roger Neilson.

Was fine with Jagr leaving after 2009. Loved him but the money and length were an issue.

Had no problems with the Al Motoya pick in 2004. They needed a goalie at the time and Henrik was an unknown quantity. I still think and have always felt Montoya is pretty good.

White Plains Batman is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:58 PM
  #147
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I also liked Malik. He had some gaffes but overall played well especially at the end of 06-07 and in the playoffs (except for the one turnover in the Buffalo series game 2).

Avery=overrated.

Gomez was fine as a Ranger but obviously Sather and comp knew something because his decline at such a young age is startling.

I'm very happy with Torts but I think Renney got a bad deal at the end. Wasn't his fault, was the personnel and I'll always consider Tom Renney one of my favorite Rangers coaches along with Roger Neilson.

Was fine with Jagr leaving after 2009. Loved him but the money and length were an issue.

Had no problems with the Al Motoya pick in 2004. They needed a goalie at the time and Henrik was an unknown quantity. I still think and have always felt Montoya is pretty good.
The idea of the timeline changing and somehow Montoya is in place of Henrik.... *Shrudder* Nothing against Al but it's hard to imagine hockey without the king.

Cresto is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 12:30 AM
  #148
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
The idea of the timeline changing and somehow Montoya is in place of Henrik.... *Shrudder* Nothing against Al but it's hard to imagine hockey without the king.
Henrik is #1 of course but I always envisioned them doing a Beezer/Richter thing to conserve Henrik. LOL....no biggie though.

White Plains Batman is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:00 PM
  #149
BarneyRoss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
double post

BarneyRoss is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:01 PM
  #150
BarneyRoss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
I hate Messier. Especially for leaving to Vancouver and when he came back he was washed up and still thought he was '94 Mess. Even in Theo Fleury's book he mentioned Messier refused to not be played on the first units for PP and PK even when he was too old to be effective. Also all the rumors about him running Zubov, Norstrom, Kovalev and others out of town to bring in his old buddies.
disgusting

BarneyRoss is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.