HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Unpopular Opinions You Have About the Team/Individual Players

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
The FO's plan to bring him in to replace Jagr's production was a failure from the start. Hossa was plan A, Jagr was plan B, Nazzy was plan C. If we hadn't singed Redden we could've afforded to keep both Jagr and Nazzy and things migth've been better.
I don't think he was ever looked at as a real replacement, someone who would fill the gap completely. Just as a decent offensive player to try to fix things up somewhat.

Quote:
Radek Dvorak. I thought they should have brought him back as a 3rd liner last year. Another favorite.
I liked Dvorak a lot. He was never the same after blowing out his knee but he's been in the NHL for quite awhile now as a good 3rd line player. Shame he never put it all together for a long stretch,, and he was damn fast too.

Quote:
Jaromir Jagr's time with the Rangers was overrated. Great individual accomplishment. In hindsight, not a very memorable time as a team. Noteworthy because it was the end of the dark years.
Those teams were basically one really cool top line, a bunch of "meh" players, and a great goalie.

I like almost all of the players on the current team these days, but back then it was really the "Jagr and buddies with a guest appearance by Lundqvist" show

Quote:
Poor drafting aside, Christian Dube and Manny Malhotra would've been solid players for us if we didn't screw it up.
I kind of disagree about Malhotra at least. I don't think he was ever going to be more than he panned out to be in the NHL. He could have been a valuable, solid player for the Rangers if they hadn't jumped the gun and traded him, and if the Rangers coaching hadn't been terrible back then, but I think his upside was a 3rd line player max

Old
10-16-2012, 02:02 PM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

vCash: 50
- Not strictly about the team, but I'm hoping the lockout lasts a few more weeks. My local team here in Norway just signed two NHL players (Skille and Engelland), and I'd hate to see the lockout end without them even getting a chance to make an impact or even play a game (scheduled to play thursday).

- I'm not sold on MDZ as a top 4 d-man

- I think Bickel will turn out to be a very useful 6th D-man

- Think Cally gets a free pass from many during periods where he's not playing at his highest level.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I kind of disagree about Malhotra at least. I don't think he was ever going to be more than he panned out to be in the NHL. He could have been a valuable, solid player for the Rangers if they hadn't jumped the gun and traded him, and if the Rangers coaching hadn't been terrible back then, but I think his upside was a 3rd line player max
I love this thread. Best one we've had in a while.

Regarding Malhotra (I know it sounds like a play). I always felt like Malhotra could've been more than he is now. He needed one more year of juniors and allowed to play in a more offensive role, as he had in the OHL playoffs. From there, he should've been eased into the Rangers lineup as a bottom six forward.

I think there was just too many factors working against him at that time. I really feel he had a chance to be a solid second line center if his development was handled differently.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Levitate

Could be. I guess it's sometimes hard to tell when a guy has some potential that he could develop and when he has really tapped out the extent of his skills. Manny really has/had stone hands and I'm not sure that's something that could be developed more, but realistically the Rangers should have left him in juniors regardless

Old
10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I never thought Manny was going to be an offensive weapon, but I honestly thought he had the ability to be a 2nd line center who, while not the offensive catalyst on the line, was adept enough not to be a hindrance to offensive production. A slightly less potent Chris Drury, if you will.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

It may have just been managment putting spin thought media connections but I remember reading somewhere (NYPost, DailyNews, or THN) that Malhotra punched his own ticket out of town by insisting behind the scenes that he was a first line player, and not giving his all after being told by managment that was not how they projected his talent and that was not how they were going to groom him.

It was one of those scribes as that was all there was to read back then in my part of NY.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
It may have just been managment putting spin thought media connections but I remember reading somewhere (NYPost, DailyNews, or THN) that Malhotra punched his own ticket out of town by insisting behind the scenes that he was a first line player, and not giving his all after being told by managment that was not how they projected his talent and that was not how they were going to groom him.

It was one of those scribes as that was all there was to read back then in my part of NY.
I don't remember that. I do remember that Smith and Muckler had differing opinions on what he he was. Neither thought he was a first line player however.

10-17-2012, 01:57 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Sean Avery might be the most polite professional sports player I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:20 AM
TUQ

Unpopular opinion:

Marek Malik was a very good defenseman with great vision, very good first pass and without that bit of speed that would make him a first pair defenseman on almost any team. The reason everyone hated him here was the fact that he did not use his size as is expected from anyone that big. Due to this fact he was getting a beating from the fans for small mistakes that any other defenseman, especially Fedor Tjutin, on the team were given a free pass for.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:25 AM
dynamoovechkin

Unpopular opinions:

I hated Scott Gomez, but I was thrilled when we got him and Drury- the two best centers available on the market at the time. Liked him as a Ranger- for about 5 minutes.

I thought Mike Gartner and Ray Ferraro were great Rangers and got a raw deal.

I loved what Eric Lindros gave us when he was here.

Glen Sather has been brilliant at times.

This whole "playing in the fishbowl that is NY" excuse is a crock.

Dan Girardi is overrated, but an extreme overachiever based on his skill set.

Kovalev was ostracized by his teammates at times because his otherworldly skill stole the limelight.

Derek Stepan is not a big game player as a pro. His disappearing act in two playoffs in a row infuriated me.

Henrik Lundquist has some serious brainfarts sometimes, as much as it pains me to say it.

Gaborik takes way too much flak from this board. I love what the guy gives us, even if he is not a leader in the big games.

I am super happy with Anton Stralman.

I think it's cool that I got to see Guy Lafleur, Marcel Dionne and Wayne Gretzky as Rangers, even if it was on the downside of their careers.

I am a big Kovalchuk fan. We should have gone after him.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Henrik Lundquist has some serious brainfarts sometimes, as much as it pains me to say it.
I have to admit that I've often said the same thing.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:50 AM
AceintheSpace*

Quote:
Unpopular opinions:

Gaborik takes way too much flak from this board. I love what the guy gives us, even if he is not a leader in the big games.

Gaborik has done everything thats been asked of him IMO.

People just like to *****, plain and simple.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:58 AM
AceintheSpace*

Gomez was obviously extremely overpaid, but his play was on par with where he had always been.

Never cared for Drury.

I think Gaborik can go down as one of the best Rangers in the last 20+ years. I wanna see him get some records in blue.

Hank is better than Richter. Not necessarily unpopular, but I dont think a Cup should keep him from viewing him in that light.

I like Stralman and Bickel.

This fanbase annoys the **** outta me sometimes. Clamoring for Avery last year made us look like a bunch of morons. Enough of Avery. Get over him. Move on.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Gomez was obviously extremely overpaid, but his play was on par with where he had always been.

Never cared for Drury.

I think Gaborik can go down as one of the best Rangers in the last 20+ years. I wanna see him get some records in blue.

Hank is better than Richter. Not necessarily unpopular, but I dont think a Cup should keep him from viewing him in that light.

I like Stralman and Bickel.

This fanbase annoys the **** outta me sometimes. Clamoring for Avery last year made us look like a bunch of morons. Enough of Avery. Get over him. Move on.
If Gomez's play was on par with where it always was, the same was true for Drury.

Not sure what record Gaborik will really have a good shot at.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:08 AM
AceintheSpace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If Gomez's play was on par with where it always was, the same was true for Drury.

Not sure what record Gaborik will really have a good shot at.

Gomez was the more effective player however. His point totals were right on par with where they shouldve been and he was more consistent.

Drury was over-glorified for some clutch moments in his career. Wonderful. He had one good year here. Great defensively, but for that much?

Goals. Two more 40-goal seasons puts him at 185, or 15th on the list for the franchise, but its obvious hes not getting two more seasons of 40. One more season could happen though. Not bad for a guy only here for what would be 5 years to finish at least top 20.

His GPG is 6th in franchise history. Thats nothing to gawk at for a nearly 90 year old franchise (albeit a subpar one)

Last edited by AceintheSpace*: 10-19-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
Unpopular opinion:

Marek Malik was a very good defenseman with great vision, very good first pass and without that bit of speed that would make him a first pair defenseman on almost any team. The reason everyone hated him here was the fact that he did not use his size as is expected from anyone that big. Due to this fact he was getting a beating from the fans for small mistakes that any other defenseman, especially Fedor Tjutin, on the team were given a free pass for.
I seem to remember him more for being a turnover machine. To think that Malik and Rozsíval used to be our top d pair is kind of hilarious.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Gomez was the more effective player however. His point totals were right on par with where they shouldve been and he was more consistent.

Drury was over-glorified for some clutch moments in his career. Wonderful. He had one good year here. Great defensively, but for that much?

Goals. Two more 40-goal seasons puts him at 185, or 15th on the list for the franchise, but its obvious hes not getting two more seasons of 40. One more season could happen though. Not bad for a guy only here for what would be 5 years to finish at least top 20.

His GPG is 6th in franchise history. Thats nothing to gawk at for a nearly 90 year old franchise (albeit a subpar one)
Drury's season (aside from his last two) were basically what he was a mid-50 point player.

Gomez being more effective is a judgement call and really can't be judged by facts.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:30 AM
NYR Viper

I am a fan of Brian Boyle as a 3rd line center. Yes, I said it. He is difficult to play against and while he isn't overly skilled, he gets the job done and should allow for (2) more offensive wingers to concentrate on the offense. While he and Prust worked well together defensively, I think that was part of the reason that line struggled so much on offense.

I like the idea of playing Bickel on defense. He keeps the game simple and will stick up for his teammates.

I still do not like the contract given out to Brad Richards.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I loved what Eric Lindros gave us when he was here.
I did too. I honestly liked him and Theo Fleury on the same team, but the team was such a **** show back then and those two obviously had their own problems.

Quote:
Glen Sather has been brilliant at times.
Agreed, and honestly I haven't minded him as GM lately, though I think he's also made some terrible moves over the course of his tenure.

Quote:
This whole "playing in the fishbowl that is NY" excuse is a crock.
Also agree. There's more scrutiny than in smaller markets but it's nowhere near what it is on a Canadian team or something. NHLers can be pretty anonymous in NYC and the media isn't nearly as harsh as people make it out to be...there's a couple of beat writers that care and the rest of the sports media cares about baseball and football

Quote:
Derek Stepan is not a big game player as a pro. His disappearing act in two playoffs in a row infuriated me.
I'm giving him some slack because he's still a young player...keep in mind that he's only played two seasons, and he's not a great talent by himself. I think he needs to step it up but I can't toss a young player who scored 50+ points last year under the bus yet.

Quote:
I think every goalie has them, no matter who they are, Lundqvist's can just be more noticeable because he's usually so damn good.

Quote:
Word. He's not perfect but he's a really good player for the Rangers

I think Bickel could be a good 6th-7th defenseman and he has more skills than your typical bottom pairing, punch guys for a living defenseman. He skates decently, he handles the puck with some confidence, he just doesn't seem to have really figured out how to play within his talents and not take unnecessary risks. maybe he'll never figure that out, maybe he can't read the play well enough, but he's got a bit of talent

Old
10-19-2012, 06:35 PM
AceintheSpace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I'm sick to death of hearing about '94.

Those of us who remember, even if only barely, aren't going to forget. Those of us who don't are even more sick.

Time to move on.

I agree.

They milk the **** out of 1994.

Enough. Its ****ing pathetic and embarrassing.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:01 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I also liked Malik. He had some gaffes but overall played well especially at the end of 06-07 and in the playoffs (except for the one turnover in the Buffalo series game 2).

Avery=overrated.

Gomez was fine as a Ranger but obviously Sather and comp knew something because his decline at such a young age is startling.

I'm very happy with Torts but I think Renney got a bad deal at the end. Wasn't his fault, was the personnel and I'll always consider Tom Renney one of my favorite Rangers coaches along with Roger Neilson.

Was fine with Jagr leaving after 2009. Loved him but the money and length were an issue.

Had no problems with the Al Motoya pick in 2004. They needed a goalie at the time and Henrik was an unknown quantity. I still think and have always felt Montoya is pretty good.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I also liked Malik. He had some gaffes but overall played well especially at the end of 06-07 and in the playoffs (except for the one turnover in the Buffalo series game 2).

Avery=overrated.

Gomez was fine as a Ranger but obviously Sather and comp knew something because his decline at such a young age is startling.

I'm very happy with Torts but I think Renney got a bad deal at the end. Wasn't his fault, was the personnel and I'll always consider Tom Renney one of my favorite Rangers coaches along with Roger Neilson.

Was fine with Jagr leaving after 2009. Loved him but the money and length were an issue.

Had no problems with the Al Motoya pick in 2004. They needed a goalie at the time and Henrik was an unknown quantity. I still think and have always felt Montoya is pretty good.
The idea of the timeline changing and somehow Montoya is in place of Henrik.... *Shrudder* Nothing against Al but it's hard to imagine hockey without the king.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:30 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
The idea of the timeline changing and somehow Montoya is in place of Henrik.... *Shrudder* Nothing against Al but it's hard to imagine hockey without the king.
Henrik is #1 of course but I always envisioned them doing a Beezer/Richter thing to conserve Henrik. LOL....no biggie though.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:00 PM
BarneyRoss

double post

Old
10-20-2012, 08:01 PM
BarneyRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
I hate Messier. Especially for leaving to Vancouver and when he came back he was washed up and still thought he was '94 Mess. Even in Theo Fleury's book he mentioned Messier refused to not be played on the first units for PP and PK even when he was too old to be effective. Also all the rumors about him running Zubov, Norstrom, Kovalev and others out of town to bring in his old buddies.
disgusting

Closed Thread