HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Keith Ballard to the New York Islanders

Old
10-19-2012, 04:24 AM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Doubtful.

I'm thinking that if the new CBA imposes a 60m cap, and teams are allowed to go to 70m this year as a transitional period, then Gillis should allow Ballard to play it out in the hopes it increases his value. Then auction him off at the end of the year.

He was turning the corner in the last 20 games last year. Some say he played better than any other D during that time. Give him a full year on that momentum and see what he does.
If he did have momentum last season, the lockout is bound to kill it. But if there is a $70 million transition period, I agree Van will hang on to him.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 04:58 AM
Henrik To Daniel

why would we trade our only dman who showed up last playoffs? i wouldn't trade ballard for any of the islanders regular dmen straight across other than hamonic

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I refuse to believe that Ballard is THAT bad. I think he's just horrible under Vancouver's system.
2nded... IMO he can still play but a bad fit in VanCan.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:36 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
The only problem with Ballard is Vignault. Once this obstacle is removed Ballard can go back to being a puck carrying, lead the rush Dman.

Ballard hits, which is a no-no in Vancouver because it makes people think it's okay to hit and this results in injuries to the Sedins and Kesler.

Ballard on a contending team could do very well. Maybe he will go to PHI with LU?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:56 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
To Van- Bailey
To NYI- Ballard, Schroeder
No thanks. Isles have young forwards, developing at Bridgeport this season(Kabanov, Nino, Nelson, Ullstrom, Cizikas,Sundstrom). Strome's in juniors.

Bailey's very inconsistent offensively, but he is a solid defensive player and pk player. At worst, he'll be a high end 3rd liner imo and one of the younger forward prospects, will take the slot you think Schroeder could have on LI.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
No thanks. Isles have young forwards, developing at Bridgeport this season(Kabanov, Nino, Nelson, Ullstrom, Cizikas,Sundstrom). Strome's in juniors.

Bailey's very inconsistent offensively, but he is a solid defensive player and pk player. At worst, he'll be a high end 3rd liner imo and one of the younger forward prospects, will take the slot you think Schroeder could have on LI.

I'm fine if both sides keep their players and pretend that proposal never happened...

Also, I've been following Bailey as well (like his game), but he is not what expected at the NHL level. He's got a lot of work to do. Actually, I thought he was going to be waived last season - that's how dire it looked to me (and to some NYI fans). Anyways, hope he bounces back in a big way.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:31 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm fine if both sides keep their players and pretend that proposal never happened...

Also, I've been following Bailey as well (like his game), but he is not what expected at the NHL level. He's got a lot of work to do. Actually, I thought he was going to be waived last season - that's how dire it looked to me (and to some NYI fans). Anyways, hope he bounces back in a big way.
Comeau was waived because he had 0 goals, 0 assists in his first 16 games. He wasn't giving the effort the team wanted from him, while making $2.5m.

Bailey was inconsistent, but his $1m salary made his inconsisent play, a lot easier to swallow.I don't recall any speculation from credible sources, that the isles were considering waiving Bailey.

Let's not confuse fan wishes and opinion with Snow and his coaches opinions.
Also, Bailey spent the last several weeks of the season playing lw with Nielsen/KO. He's said this offseason, that he's spoken with Snow and will be moved to lw.

He'll see less responsibilty and be on a line with more skilled players.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Comeau was waived because he had 0 goals, 0 assists in his first 16 games. He wasn't giving the effort the team wanted from him, while making $2.5m.

Bailey was inconsistent, but his $1m salary made his inconsisent play, a lot easier to swallow.I don't recall any speculation from credible sources, that the isles were considering waiving Bailey.

Let's not confuse fan wishes and opinion with Snow and his coaches opinions.

I wasn't. I said I felt he might be waived. I also saw this speculation amongst many NYI fans.

What you deemed "inconsistent" I saw as a complete decline in play. For lack of a better term, Bailey was "porous" for large stretches. He was fighting it out there. A lesser player might have given up but he stuck with it. Good on him.

Quote:
Also, Bailey spent the last several weeks of the season playing lw with Nielsen/KO. He's said this offseason, that he's spoken with Snow and will be moved to lw.

He'll see less responsibilty and be on a line with more skilled players.

He should be fine. I'm just describing what I saw last year. It wasn't good. This year might be totally different.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:03 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I wasn't. I said I felt he might be waived. I also saw this speculation amongst many NYI fans.

I don't recall this Bailey waiver wire speculation, but I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
What you deemed "inconsistent" I saw as a complete decline in play. For lack of a better term, Bailey was "porous" for large stretches. He was fighting it out there. A lesser player might have given up but he stuck with it. Good on him.
As I said, the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line played well the last several weeks, after Bailey was moved up to the 2nd line. Is it a case of playing with no pressure? Playing with more skilled players? The move from center to lw?

Quote:
He should be fine. I'm just describing what I saw last year. It wasn't good. This year might be totally different
Bailey's 22. He shown brief flashes where he has been dominate, the best player on the ice. He expressed disappointment after signing his last contract. He wanted a longterm deal like Okposo and Grabner had gotten. So, he gets his chance to play with more skilled players and hopefully earn that 4-5 yr deal.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
I refuse to believe that Ballard is THAT bad. I think he's just horrible under Vancouver's system.

Finally someone with some sense.

If you've seen him play, you'll realize that he is still capable.

We have a log-jam of LHD. None of which can play the opposite side comfortably.
Ballard is guilty of not being better than Hamhuis and Edler.

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Reign Nateo

Oh how I loathe the topic of Ballard on HF...

He's not terrible, his skills haven't deteroirated, he simply doesn't fit into Vigneault's system.

When he's skating and rushing the puck, he looks great, the problem is there is a system in the defensive zone that Vigneault uses that doesn't fit with Ballard's style at all. He wants defenceman to take a hit and work the puck up the baords to the forwards, Ballard's style is to rush the puck. Plus he has to beat Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison/Salo for minutes... He was playing 14-15 minutes a night of plus hockey most occasions.

In another system he'd excell again I beleive. He's not worthless or a terrible hockey player at all, he's actually got a pretty nice set of skills. Just not AV's guy.

Other teams have pro scouts, they know this, just drives me nuts any time Ballard is mentioned on here it just breeds uninformed opinions. Like people either don't watch Ballard, or don't understand the sport.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:19 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

The Isles would have no interest in Ballard and MacDonald would for sure not be a piece going back

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:22 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Ballard is locked up until 2015-2016; and it's not cheap. If Vis did not come back, Garth would sign a Mark Eaton type stop gap (which he is not afraid to do) until one of our PMD prospects are ready.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Straight across for Andy MacDonald
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Visnovsky was going back to Russia and not coming back to North America? Could be wrong though.

I would probably do this. Can MacDonald play the right side at all?
1. Visnovsky and the NHLPA felt his contract rights were ignored, it had nothing to do with the Islanders, he took the Ducks to trial for possibly ignoring a clause. Everything checked through and he is an Islander

2. Ballard for MacDonald hurts the Islanders now, in the future, and hurts them financially.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Cool Hand Goof*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Ballard is a liability not an asset. Be happy with Carkner for today.
how?

why is there this blind hatred from ballard, the guy plays good (not 4 mill good) but before he got injured last season he was the best defensmen on the team points aside

but to see someone who doesnt even watch the canucks say hes a liability is pretty corny

especially when your an oilers fan and your defence is probably bottom 2 of the league

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Oh how I loathe the topic of Ballard on HF...

He's not terrible, his skills haven't deteroirated, he simply doesn't fit into Vigneault's system.

When he's skating and rushing the puck, he looks great, the problem is there is a system in the defensive zone that Vigneault uses that doesn't fit with Ballard's style at all. He wants defenceman to take a hit and work the puck up the baords to the forwards, Ballard's style is to rush the puck. Plus he has to beat Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison/Salo for minutes... He was playing 14-15 minutes a night of plus hockey most occasions.

In another system he'd excell again I beleive. He's not worthless or a terrible hockey player at all, he's actually got a pretty nice set of skills. Just not AV's guy.

Other teams have pro scouts, they know this, just drives me nuts any time Ballard is mentioned on here it just breeds uninformed opinions. Like people either don't watch Ballard, or don't understand the sport.

Last edited by spiny norman: 10-19-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: consecutive
Cool Hand Goof* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
CanuckLuck

Ballard shouldn't be traded because his value is really low righ tnow and his value to Vancouver is quite high. He's actually quite good, especially for Vancouver's bottom pairing. Why would Vancouver trade an asset like this when the max they would get is a b-level prospect or a 3rd rd pick?

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Ballard shouldn't be traded because his value is really low righ tnow and his value to Vancouver is quite high. He's actually quite good, especially for Vancouver's bottom pairing. Why would Vancouver trade an asset like this when the max they would get is a b-level prospect or a 3rd rd pick?
I would take the cap flexibility both now and in the future over an overpaid #5.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:50 AM
roach9

People hate on Ballard; Canucks fans included.

I personally think he's the most solid bottom-pairing defenceman you can ask for. He's overpaid, certainly, but if I'm GMMG, I am in no rush whatsoever to move him, especially right now.

His value is too low to trade right now. He's much better than what people give him credit for.

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
I would take the cap flexibility both now and in the future over an overpaid #5.
lol cap space for what so we can swing and miss on Doan, Weber, Schultz again and end up with Alberts playing regularily?

Thank god your not the GM. If all u can get is a 5th for him and have no way to use the cap space why not just keep him and see if he can keep improving like he has been? Once you find something that takes up the cap space Ballard consumes, then at worst case u dump him for a 7th.

Hmm lets see trade Ballard for a 5th and risk running with an Alberts Tanev pairing and 4.2M in cap space that goes un-used
OR
have a guy who has proven he can be a top 4 d-man and has been coming around lately playing on the 3rd pairing by having a Ballard Tanev pairing and barely any cap space and then dump Ballard for a 7th when u need the cap space for something better.

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:06 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Agreed. I mean he wasn't terrible in Phoenix or Florida. I get the sense he does better in a market with less pressure.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
why would we trade our only dman who showed up last playoffs? i wouldn't trade ballard for any of the islanders regular dmen straight across other than hamonic
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Now that, was a good one.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Silfverberg Snipes

vCash: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Now that, was a good one.
You and all the other naysayers will be biting your tongue when we trade Ballard for scraps to some team who needs to meet the cap floor and he ends up exceeding expectations. I'm not saying this to convince you Ballard is a good defenseman, I just need put it out there because it will inevitably happen.

Silfverberg Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post

If they needed cap, Ballard would be gone. They don't, so he's here.

And you can call him an overpaid #5, but I see defenses out there where he would be a top4. Further, he's played top2 on two teams already, which is something most #5s around the league can't claim.

The optics on Ballard have a great deal to do with just how good MG has been with the cap. It's not often you can put 4.2m on the 3rd pairing, but people are now inferring that this is all that he is, which is incorrect.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:02 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
1. Visnovsky and the NHLPA felt his contract rights were ignored, it had nothing to do with the Islanders, he took the Ducks to trial for possibly ignoring a clause. Everything checked through and he is an Islander

2. Ballard for MacDonald hurts the Islanders now, in the future, and hurts them financially.
From Vis comments ,seeing him practicing in the NYI jersey, getting permission from Snow to take part in the car race, I think Vis will honor the last yr of his nhl contract and the arbitor's decision.

You are right, about your MacDonald comments. MacDonald plays solid, 1st pairing mins for $500,000 per. No way would the isles move MacDonald to pay Ballard $4m. Hamonic and MacDonald are not the question marks on the NYI blueline. The vets Vis and Streit are, along with Donovan/De Haan/Ness (whichever rookie takes that #6 role).

Old
10-20-2012, 11:42 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Visnovsky was going back to Russia and not coming back to North America? Could be wrong though.
Considering he's not Russian it would be odd for a report to suggest he's "going back to Russia."

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote