HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Technical Questions

Old
09-12-2012, 02:14 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Telus and Rogers don't offer home Internet in Montreal.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:45 AM
Avim86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bert0 Lu0ng0 View Post
Can I get some input on the best and most reliable ISPs in the Montreal area?

Looks like you guys have Telus, Rogers and Bell as well as Videotron; is that pretty much it? Any particular praise or horror stories with any of these or other ISPs?
If you're on a budget Acnac or TekSavvy[I heard good things about Cobaltnet/Radioactif as well] if you aren't on one Videotron (and I hate them so for me to recommend them means a lot). Videotron is a non profit organization compared to Bell their prices are outrageous (unless you bundle but who wants a home line in 2012-2013?). Bell also throttles like crazy so if you plan on playing online video games or streaming stay away from Bell it might not be noticeable to the average 20GB a month person but for a power user it's a nightmare. Videotron also throttles ("smart packet management to allow effecient use of data (BS) what this really means is they don't want the torrent downloaders to overtax their servers). However once you've gone over the fact that the bigger players in Quebec are evil , you will realize that you still need internet. Videotron would be your best bet for true(ish) speeds and higher download capacity(but still capped vs smaller companies that might not cap). It also depends where you live certain services aren't available everywhere or if you're in a condo/appartment they may already have an exclusive deal with one of the above mentioned companies.

Last edited by Avim86: 09-12-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:18 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

It really doesn't matter which ISP you go with. The smaller ISPs rent the "lines" from the big companies Bell/Rogers. They can give you true unlimited access but eventually they'll throttle because it loses them $$$. Just focus on prices. Customer service sucks everywhere.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:15 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
It really doesn't matter which ISP you go with. The smaller ISPs rent the "lines" from the big companies Bell/Rogers. They can give you true unlimited access but eventually they'll throttle because it loses them $$$. Just focus on prices. Customer service sucks everywhere.
Bell doesn't throttle anymore.

Look at prices and bandwidth. I use radioactif. It's one of the cheapest around (if you have a Bell line already activated) and unlimited bandwidth. You get 6 mbps, which is enough for many people but upload kinda sucks. A DSL model can cost you 40-50$. Obviously customer service is far from being the best.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post

Look at prices and bandwidth. I use radioactif. It's one of the cheapest around (if you have a Bell line already activated) and unlimited bandwidth. You get 6 mbps, which is enough for many people but upload kinda sucks. A DSL model can cost you 40-50$. Obviously customer service is far from being the best.
Yes they do...

Old
09-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
Yes they do...
No they don't. I'm constantly getting the connection I pay for on torrents at all hours of the day. Downloading at around 1.8 MB/s, when I'm paying for a 15Mbit connection... I had double that speed on my 30Mbit connection with Videotron. So...

Old
09-12-2012, 12:04 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Thanks everyone.

Is that commonplace, for an apartment building to have an exclusive agreement with an ISP? That's pretty amazing, or at least not something I've heard of.

I work from home so budget is not really an issue for me, the most important things are stability, good upload speed (as nearly everyone offers decent download speed) and high enough caps that my work and other internet use (which is extensive) isn't compromised.

Sounds like the major providers would be Videotron or Bell then, is that accurate? From a pure performance standpoint which one is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Telus and Rogers don't offer home Internet in Montreal.
Ahh, I just looked at the speedtest.net ratings for ISPs in Quebec but I suppose those ISPs must have been based on 3G connections.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Avim86

Quote:
No they don't. I'm constantly getting the connection I pay for on torrents at all hours of the day. Downloading at around 1.8 MB/s, when I'm paying for a 15Mbit connection... I had double that speed on my 30Mbit connection with Videotron. So...
They throttle 100% , I use throttle monitoring software it happens during peak hours and during high file download and I have Bell 175 Mbps...

Also using manual configuration in linux I've monitored packet speed and it does fluctuate during heavy downloading which shouldn't happen if your network is clean.
They won't admit to throttling as they call it necessary to run their business and "maintain their network" :

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/extrem...nds-2012-08-17

They promised to stop throttling , but are we honestly surprised that a big corporation fudged the rules in order to save money by not having to invest as much in infrastructure
and just develop "smart software".

I don't mean to be cocky but this is my field of expertise B.Eng H/W , ccna , ccnp , A+ , A+ Networking , Microsoft certified ethical hacker.

Last edited by Avim86: 09-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
09-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Is that commonplace, for an apartment building to have an exclusive agreement with an ISP? That's pretty amazing, or at least not something I've heard of.

I work from home so budget is not really an issue for me, the most important things are stability, good upload speed (as nearly everyone offers decent download speed) and high enough caps that my work and other internet use (which is extensive) isn't compromised.

Sounds like the major providers would be Videotron or Bell then, is that accurate? From a pure performance standpoint which one is better?

Ahh, I just looked at the speedtest.net ratings for ISPs in Quebec but I suppose those ISPs must have been based on 3G connections.
Go with Videotron better signal quality in my opinion and better prices I believe as well. They are both Fiber based connections , Bell internet is Fiber base patched into
phone lines and Videotron is also Fiber base patched into high output coax.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Go with a reseller. Giving Videotron or Bell more of your money is not a good idea.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Go with a reseller. Giving Videotron or Bell more of your money is not a good idea.
Agreed , service will be similar , just don't expect the best customer support from Acanac/Radioactif. However if you're a do it yourself kind of person you'll be fine , basicly most employees in these companies are trained to tell you to unplug your modem/router , hard reset your hardware or disable/enable your network card.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:04 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Agreed , service will be similar , just don't expect the best customer support from Acanac/Radioactif. However if you're a do it yourself kind of person you'll be fine , basicly most employees in these companies are trained to tell you to unplug your modem/router , hard reset your hardware or disable/enable your network card.
I've found that acanac customer support and especially teksavvy support > bell and videotron. Pretty easily, even, especially compared to Bell.

I used to do a ton of customer satisfaction with Bell. Some of the things I've heard ...

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Avim86

Quote:
I've found that acanac customer support and especially teksavvy support > bell and videotron. Pretty easily, even, especially compared to Bell.

I used to do a ton of customer satisfaction with Bell. Some of the things I've heard ...
I've never ever had to deal with these companies much so you may be right , I've called Bell once in the last few years to get my B1 code (did a hard reset on the modem as was noticing lag spikes) and the person at tech support tried to "educate" me on how the internet works and what data means...Oh boy I laughed about that one for a while.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:35 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Is that strictly based on "these guys are evil" (which frankly I'm not too concerned about - unless we are talking about Telus )?

Do these resellers also offer cable and home phone service or are they generally just internet?

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not too worried about customer service; that being said my experience out west is that outages are extremely rare and anything happening on my side of the wall is something I can resolve just by rebooting hardware or correcting my router configuration. If things are different in Quebec and chronic outages are a reality with some or all ISPs then it would be a consideration for me, certainly.

(I guess part of me is also worried that a smaller provider is likelier to be some fly by night operation that I'll have a hard time getting answers out of if there's a legitimate outage.)

Is it your experience that uptime is pretty well similar across all providers?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 06:34 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post

LOL yes they do. Occasionally when there is less traffic they will bump up the "cap" but it goes down as soon as 6PMish.

Have you actually tested and got 6 megabits at any point? That would be a shock to me.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
Can I get some input on the best and most reliable ISPs in the Montreal area?

Looks like you guys have Telus, Rogers and Bell as well as Videotron; is that pretty much it? Any particular praise or horror stories with any of these or other ISPs?
Rogers and Telus do not supply home internet in Quebec/Montreal, (only wireless, expensive, not suitable for regular/normal use)

Your choices are Bell, Videotron, and various wholesale companies that rent segments of Bell/Videotron's network, such a as acanac, teksavvy, distributel, and electronicbox.

It all depends on what your priorities are. There was previously a big advantage that whole companies would not charge Quebec tax (10% savings), but this advantage has gone away.

I tend to be believe Videotron is really overpriced, especially without a bundle. Their basic 8mbps service is over 60$ after tax if you don't have homephone or cabletv with them! However, they are known to be more reliable and have better customer service than bell.

Bell is effective for cost savings , and can be just as reliable as Videotron depending on the quality of the lines in your area.

The real party starts when you choose a wholesale provider like teksavvy or electronicbox. For about 50$/month (tax included), you can get services that will allow you to download 200gb or more. This is essential if you plan on downloading a lot, especially movies, netflix, torrent. The problem is, because of recent CRTC poor decisions, signing up with one of these companies has significant "installation costs" which range from 120-150$ for the good packages (10mbps or more).

If you're trying to save money and get a decent connection, buy a Bell "kit" from Dell.ca
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=a3598007

This will give you 3 months of internet for 30$ and free installation with Bell. You can make a decision afterward to stay with them, or choose a less expensive package etc. The packages that feature the 10mbit upload speed are excellent if you want to use VoIP at home.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:45 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
LOL yes they do. Occasionally when there is less traffic they will bump up the "cap" but it goes down as soon as 6PMish.

Have you actually tested and got 6 megabits at any point? That would be a shock to me.
We have had issues with our phone lines so I don't know for sure if Bell blocks my internet or it's the line that prevents me from going to up 6 mbps. I usually get 4-4.5 mbps.

What I mean by throttling is being forced to download a torrent at 25 kB/s when now, and since Bell "stopped" throttling I've been getting max speeds at 500 kB/s, which is more consistent with my average download speed. I also noted a difference when Radioactif bumpbed they download speed from 5 to 6 mbps after the CRTC ruling. Downloads would start quicker.

Maybe the definition of throttling is different to each user, but to me is as if they stopped.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

Just wondering something.

Basically I have the iPhone 4s and I encountered a problem.

I was tethering with my phone onto my desktop computer. My desktop has no wifi so I logged in on wifi on my phone and then used that internet for my computer.

Today I get 3 texts in a row from fido at same time.

"you are at 75% of your data limit"
"you reached data limit"
"you surpassed data limit, 50$ extra will be charged"

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Anyway, I called fido and was told tethering uses cellular data even if you're on wifi. Is that true?

Either way, any chance I can get them to waive charges? I'm not the "i'll leave if you don't type" but been there 4 years+ and kind of don't want to pay 50$. Never asked them for anything, will they actually cut the 50$ surcharge? I'm kinda asking because I have 2 weeks left in my month so I figure i'll go over more and more just from browsing and e-mails. Kinda don't want a ridiculous bill. Hoping they are flexible and will cut the charge and understand. Anyone have experience with this? I know some work at fido/rogers, any advice? I'm not going to bust balls, just hoping they can understand the accidental exceeding of my limit.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Just wondering something.

Basically I have the iPhone 4s and I encountered a problem.

I was tethering with my phone onto my desktop computer. My desktop has no wifi so I logged in on wifi on my phone and then used that internet for my computer.

Today I get 3 texts in a row from fido at same time.

"you are at 75% of your data limit"
"you reached data limit"
"you surpassed data limit, 50$ extra will be charged"

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Anyway, I called fido and was told tethering uses cellular data even if you're on wifi. Is that true?

Either way, any chance I can get them to waive charges? I'm not the "i'll leave if you don't type" but been there 4 years+ and kind of don't want to pay 50$. Never asked them for anything, will they actually cut the 50$ surcharge? I'm kinda asking because I have 2 weeks left in my month so I figure i'll go over more and more just from browsing and e-mails. Kinda don't want a ridiculous bill. Hoping they are flexible and will cut the charge and understand. Anyone have experience with this? I know some work at fido/rogers, any advice? I'm not going to bust balls, just hoping they can understand the accidental exceeding of my limit.
Speak with Customer relations they will help you out they might offer 50% off and 500 Mb added to your plan for this month but I would mention other companies like public mobile and unlimited data and they will cut it down to 0$. If anything you can add me to your list of authorized contacts and I will call them on your behalf (I worked there for 3 years) .

Old
10-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Speak with Customer relations they will help you out they might offer 50% off and 500 Mb added to your plan for this month but I would mention other companies like public mobile and unlimited data and they will cut it down to 0$. If anything you can add me to your list of authorized contacts and I will call them on your behalf (I worked there for 3 years) .
I actually work in Fido's retention (customer relations).

Mentioning something like Public Mobile won't help you with a bill overage at all. Public is a farce of a company, but that's not the point.

Just call in and be honest. Say you made a mistake and were looking for a little help. You can always say you want to cancel if you don't get the help requested to be sent to retentions and the next CSR could maybe give more. Just a little advice.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Avim86

Quote:

Mentioning something like Public Mobile won't help you with a bill overage at all. Public is a farce of a company, but that's not the point.

Just call in and be honest. Say you made a mistake and were looking for a little help. You can always say you want to cancel if you don't get the help requested to be sent to retentions and the next CSR could maybe give more. Just a little advice.
I guess things have changed in a couple years I was in Loyalty/Retention and TSR(EHO) and mentioning competition always did the trick.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

I don't really want to bust. I was going for the being honest and hoping they hook a loyal customer up. It won't make or break my experience with them enough to cancel contract. I would consider signing another contract elsewhere after its done though or I might stay with them, who knows. I used 7.1gb this month. I used like 2gb in last 4 years combined when I have a 6gb plan which was a special offer. Whatever, I want to pull the "this is an except to my history so help me out" and see where it gets me.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't really want to bust. I was going for the being honest and hoping they hook a loyal customer up. It won't make or break my experience with them enough to cancel contract. I would consider signing another contract elsewhere after its done though or I might stay with them, who knows. I used 7.1gb this month. I used like 2gb in last 4 years combined when I have a 6gb plan which was a special offer. Whatever, I want to pull the "this is an except to my history so help me out" and see where it gets me.
This will work I'd be surprised if they gave you a hard time since you're not a credit fisher or constant complainer...Call in the morning rather then night a nice amount of reps reach their personal credit quota by the the middle of the day so they are more stingy (my opinion from what I noticed in people's behavior) although officially they no real limit , it's case by case and negotiation.

Old
10-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
I guess things have changed in a couple years I was in Loyalty/Retention and TSR(EHO) and mentioning competition always did the trick.
For billing disputes? Eh... maybe for price plans.

Quote:
This will work I'd be surprised if they gave you a hard time since you're not a credit fisher or constant complainer...Call in the morning rather then night a nice amount of reps reach their personal credit quota by the the middle of the day so they are more stingy (my opinion from what I noticed in people's behavior) although officially they no real limit , it's case by case and negotiation.
There's no quota. It really won't make any difference at all when he calls. Though, calling in the evening he'll have a better chance to land on a newbie and maybe sweet talk his way a little easier, haha

Old
11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
LyricalLyricist

In regards to above: They gave me 50$ off rather easily. Didn't feel like busting.

Also, anyone ever trade in a fido phone? Do they give you a good rate? I got an iphone 4s 64GB and I want the iphone 5. Okay, wait, correction. I don't WANT the iphone 5. I don't mind having it. It's just a dropped my 4s a few too many times and notice it's reaching breaking point. Figured I might as well trade it in to some retailer while it's still in one piece and upgrade. Figure its cheaper than dropping this 1 more time and having to buy a new one entirely.