HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The lounge Summer/ fall / winter . Bring back Hockey damn it !!

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 150
Just had to wipe my computer clean for the 2nd time in 3 weeks to send it in to HP repair.

Gets really annoying (and scary) deleting gbs worth of data. Thankfully it isn't my desktop with 4tbs.

HP has been pathetic with this repair. First time: Replace Motherboard + Fan, problems not solved. Second time: Will replace motherboard + fan, expect problems not to be solved.

Case manager said a Senior Engineer would evaluate it for me this time but my warranty does not cover replacement. So what am I supposed to do, keep a broken computer from them? Contact another case manager and they told me that if the Senior Engineer can't fix it I should get a replacement PC.

I really hate stupid customer service people. It's not my fault you chose a terrible profession, don't take it out on me.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Please. Don't give me the "her parents didn't love her enough" line.
Maybe the kids who consistently bullied her had parents that "didn't love them enough", too, and that's why they treated her the way they did?

It was her peers who didn't show her any love. They saw an easy target, and they preyed on it. Relentlessly, school after school. She was the "weirdo", the "outcast", the girl that was easy to pick on. Even if someone wanted to help her they wouldn't dare, due to the fact that they would then become targets, too.

"Oh, kids will be kids." THAT is the mentality that permeates today's society. Since they're kids, they can do no wrong. It must be the parents! BS. Today's youth -- and I daresay it's been that way for far too long now -- are entitled little snits, with little or no regard for their peers. No respect for their peers, their parents, and in most cases, no respect for themselves. An entire generation that has been raised without ever having to take responsibility for what they do. Sickening.
You're right, of course it's the kids who bullied her all the time and especially that guy who sent around that pic over and over again to blame but come on its so obvious her parents did not really take care as well.

I mean, the flash happened when she was 12 years old, at that age a kid should not even have an access to a pc by herself, let alone the internet including a webcam. At this age she does not need it and if she does take a look at what she s doing.
Also she fell into drugs and alcohol although she barely left the house later on. How's that possible? How can a 14 yr old girl who is known to have a mental liability even overdose herself with anti depressives? I mean, I don't think the parents are to blame because of mistakes they made earlier but in my opinion they obviously did not react to the happenings in a proper way and did not adjust their everyday life to what their daughter obviously needed. I would have been scared to let her alone for a few minutes and they must have let her alone almost the whole day giving her the possibility to drink, take drugs and so on.
They should have tried to contact the parents of that fool who made this image available to everyone. Well, in the end I dont know if they didn't but after all I have to say in some way it's also the parents to blame on this one IMO.

Also I am wondering if the police never got to that jerk sending around her pics?! Should have been an easy one to experience his name and address via his ip. Delete all the pictures and copies they could find, maybe even restrict his Internet access if he sent it around again. In this case it seems like police did .. Well, nothing.
Maybe they were not even called in the first place or something but if they were, their effort seems pathetic as well.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Yup there's really no way around it, they were terrible parents. The world is a ****ed up place, just today I saw security kick an old mentally ill bum off the bus, even after I paid for her.

Now enough of that. I am starting the 3rd book of the hunger games... finally. I hope it's better than what RL and Bonzai gave it credit it for.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:49 AM
billybobjoe2112

vCash: 50
Hunger games part 3. It's a good book with a few gaps near the end.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 1200
Books 1 and 2 are better than book 3, IMO.

Battle Royale is another book with a similar story (written before Hunger Games).
In many ways, I liked it more.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Lonewolfe2015

I finally had a use for my PortableApps I installed on my flash drive over the summer and it really is an awesome setup. My employer needed me to modify pdfs w/o giving me something which could make edits. So I imported them into GIMP and then exported them to low compression pngs which I then printed as pdfs again which have their full resolution intact. All via portable programs installed on my usb drive.

Removing sensitive information prior to contacting external suppliers.

It's fun when technology works out.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:18 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
Hunger games part 3. It's a good book with a few gaps near the end.
Yeah I enjoyed the Hunger Games series, but I have to agree with Bubba, books 1 & 2 were better than 3.

But because of the time you've invested in the series, you HAVE to finish it by reading book 3.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I heard they are starting filming on the second book in Nov, and Mockingjay is going to be split into 2 movies.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Drizzt1

Hey, new Drizzt book is out ! Woot !

Old
10-18-2012, 10:36 PM
The Shermanator
Tank Commander

vCash: 137
I created the greatest piece of newspaper magic today. Dater would be so proud.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I created the greatest piece of newspaper magic today. Dater would be so proud.
I wonder if the title read Playgirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Just had to wipe my computer clean for the 2nd time in 3 weeks to send it in to HP repair.

HP has been pathetic with this repair. First time: Replace Motherboard + Fan, problems not solved. Second time: Will replace motherboard + fan, expect problems not to be solved..
I really wanted a laptop for flexibility and it has worked, but damn it is a piece of junk as well. I bought a Sony Vaio with a decent size screen, but everything else is just wacked up. My laptop froze three times trying to log in, which made me have to do a full restore on it every time taking it in fourth effin time and finding out that I bought one with a bad motherboard (Thank God I had warranty at the time). Now it doesn't even go into screensaver mode and sometimes when I put it in sleep mode it freezes up and I have to turn it off and restart it. I now believe that the top of the line model laptops 900+ (not macbooks too overpriced to make a comparison) are more worth it, than cheap 300-600 dollar laptops, which goes to the question that it's more worth buying a 200-300 dollar computer than a laptop above that price range.

Last edited by S E P H: 10-18-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old
10-18-2012, 11:19 PM
The Shermanator
Tank Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I wonder if the title read Playgirl.
I tweeted it to dater. Go check it out

Old
10-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I really wanted a laptop for flexibility and it has worked, but damn it is a piece of junk as well. I bought a Sony Vaio with a decent size screen, but everything else is just wacked up. My laptop froze three times trying to log in, which made me have to do a full restore on it every time taking it in fourth effin time and finding out that I bought one with a bad motherboard (Thank God I had warranty at the time). Now it doesn't even go into screensaver mode and sometimes when I put it in sleep mode it freezes up and I have to turn it off and restart it. I now believe that the top of the line model laptops 900+ (not macbooks too overpriced to make a comparison) are more worth it, than cheap 300-600 dollar laptops, which goes to the question that it's more worth buying a 200-300 dollar computer than a laptop above that price range.
You've got your logic all over the place here man.

First thing, I am using my Sony VAIO as my backup from 2005 and the thing is still chugging just fine. Feels weird seeing all my old highschool stuff on it. So it's not Sony.

Second thing, higher end laptops are not any less susceptible to failures as lower end ones. They are just less likely to reach their max processing limits as quickly. I buy high end laptops because I'd rather spend $1200 on a nice laptop which I shouldn't have serious computing problems with (this thing flies, SSD and 8gb RAM lets it reboot in under 20 seconds).

My computer is an i7 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon 1GB graphics card, SSD, backlit, aluminum case, extended battery, etc and worth $1700 ($500 rebates are common for HP after the holidays as they clear inventory).

My problem is that they installed an incompatible video card with my system and they are too inept to realize that, so odds are it will never get fixed and I'll push for another month until they give me a new laptop.

On the topic of computers: Anyone thinking about buying a Surface? I've gone to the order screen a dozen times now and keep talking myself out of it last minute. If they priced it even $100 lower I'd have already preordered mine... now I'm concerned that RT might not hold up for college-use the way I need it to and force me to carry my laptop sometimes (the whole point of buying a tablet in the first place is to replace the laptop during commuting).

Old
10-19-2012, 09:36 AM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

MacBook Pro. Over 3 years old, used every day for about 2 or 3 hours, virtually no issues. Never been re-imaged, track pad had something dropped on it but was replaced under warranty. Worth every penny.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
billybobjoe2112

My laptop f***ed up last night. It keeps going to the start in safe mode or start normal screen. Then it'll restart itself and go back to it.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
My laptop f***ed up last night. It keeps going to the start in safe mode or start normal screen. Then it'll restart itself and go back to it.
Try a system restore during boot.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...s-in-Windows-7

Old
10-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Bubba Thudd
S'all Good, Man

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Hey, new Drizzt book is out ! Woot !
Seriously?
How many more can Salvatore write?
I mean, it's pretty much the same thing over and over...
Drizzl kills everything that crosses his path, all the while mumbling to himself how pitiful his life is.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:56 PM
The Shermanator
Tank Commander

I used to be the youngest person in the world.

Old
10-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Cynthesis

Quote:
You've got your logic all over the place here man.

First thing, I am using my Sony VAIO as my backup from 2005 and the thing is still chugging just fine. Feels weird seeing all my old highschool stuff on it. So it's not Sony.

Second thing, higher end laptops are not any less susceptible to failures as lower end ones. They are just less likely to reach their max processing limits as quickly. I buy high end laptops because I'd rather spend $1200 on a nice laptop which I shouldn't have serious computing problems with (this thing flies, SSD and 8gb RAM lets it reboot in under 20 seconds).

My computer is an i7 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon 1GB graphics card, SSD, backlit, aluminum case, extended battery, etc and worth $1700 ($500 rebates are common for HP after the holidays as they clear inventory).

My problem is that they installed an incompatible video card with my system and they are too inept to realize that, so odds are it will never get fixed and I'll push for another month until they give me a new laptop.

On the topic of computers: Anyone thinking about buying a Surface? I've gone to the order screen a dozen times now and keep talking myself out of it last minute. If they priced it even $100 lower I'd have already preordered mine... now I'm concerned that RT might not hold up for college-use the way I need it to and force me to carry my laptop sometimes (the whole point of buying a tablet in the first place is to replace the laptop during commuting).
They installed an incompatible video card? So you're not getting any video output, even during POST?

I was originally going to get a Microsoft Surface, till I learned that the Pro version isn't coming out for another 3 months. The RT version will not have an i5 processor like the Pro will. In fact, they haven't even figured out what processor they will be putting in the RT version yet... They haven't even reached a deal with a manufacturer yet, so who knows what processor the RT will have. The RT version also doesn't come with a full Windows 8 OS like the Pro will. I now see the surface, especially the RT version, as a big gamble. It's best to wait awhile for the Pro or the second generation of the RT version.

It sounds like you know your technology, so I highly recommend an Android tablet. I'm getting one as well in the next month or so. You can get the best model, the ASUS Transformer Infinity for $579. That's way cheaper than the highest end iPad and Surface RT. The Infinity pad has an Nvidia quad core 1.6Ghz processor, so it blows the iPad 3 out of the water, and should compare more to the Surface Pro than the Surface RT. You also get 64gb of hard drive, and a micro-sd slot to add up to 32gb more space. The $150 dock that you can buy for it has another SD slot for 32gb more, and the dock will add around 5 more hours of battery life. You can also use bluetooth mice with Android, which is pretty cool.

The Android OS is also highly customizable, much more than Windows Metro. The iPad doesn't even compare in customizability, because the entire OS is locked down, just like every Apple OS...

I would say that it's best not to take a risk on the Surface yet. Save some money and go with the more powerful and adaptable ASUS Infinity.

Last edited by Cynthesis: 10-19-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Seriously?
How many more can Salvatore write?
I mean, it's pretty much the same thing over and over...
Drizzl kills everything that crosses his path, all the while mumbling to himself how pitiful his life is.
He's a drow elf mate, who has watched all his closest friends die. His family wants to literally kill him.

Entreri has turned into a shade, and that in itself is pretty cool.

I love them.

Old
10-19-2012, 07:29 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post

Set your DVRs for October 18th at 4:30pm NHL network. Avs at Blues from 2001 playoffs Game 1. This is the game Sakic scores on the penalty shot. Great game & a little fix for anyone wanting to watch a little Avs hockey. Get to see Ray Bourque, Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic and all the '01 cup winners in playoff action. Enjoy everyone!
Just back from vacation, rubbing my hands together in anticipation of the game....and D-bag NHL network changed the game to one of Gretzky's four hundred thousand records. Thanks a lot. And...found out I forgot to set my DVR to record Monday Night Football. Disgusted.

Old
10-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Quote:

Gets really annoying (and scary) deleting gbs worth of data. Thankfully it isn't my desktop with 4tbs.

HP has been pathetic with this repair. First time: Replace Motherboard + Fan, problems not solved. Second time: Will replace motherboard + fan, expect problems not to be solved.

Case manager said a Senior Engineer would evaluate it for me this time but my warranty does not cover replacement. So what am I supposed to do, keep a broken computer from them? Contact another case manager and they told me that if the Senior Engineer can't fix it I should get a replacement PC.

I really hate stupid customer service people. It's not my fault you chose a terrible profession, don't take it out on me.
What model? What's the issue?

I've had the dv6 6188ca for a year, and not a single problem.

Old
10-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Lonewolfe2015

I have a dv6t-3100.

The video card crashes once it is used for any higher end functions.

As for Android tablets, YUCK. Android is a terrible OS and it's a shame people consider it worth buying, just further fracturing the technology world and encouraging companies to stop supporting the customer after the latest and greatest update comes out.

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will be where I go eventually, be it next week or next year. RT is actually a great choice for a mid-level tablet, will be a great consumption device and some functionality in the office suite (people forget if RT takes off that software can be developed for it...). The Pro will be nice, but more battery intensive and possibly defeat the purpose of a tablet from my view, thus why I am considering a RT right now.

I want a tablet pretty badly, but I can wait until classes at the latest in the Spring if I have to, I'll just get annoyed after having waited this long for Win8.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Cynthesis

Quote:
I have a dv6t-3100.

The video card crashes once it is used for any higher end functions.

As for Android tablets, YUCK. Android is a terrible OS and it's a shame people consider it worth buying, just further fracturing the technology world and encouraging companies to stop supporting the customer after the latest and greatest update comes out.

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will be where I go eventually, be it next week or next year. RT is actually a great choice for a mid-level tablet, will be a great consumption device and some functionality in the office suite (people forget if RT takes off that software can be developed for it...). The Pro will be nice, but more battery intensive and possibly defeat the purpose of a tablet from my view, thus why I am considering a RT right now.

I want a tablet pretty badly, but I can wait until classes at the latest in the Spring if I have to, I'll just get annoyed after having waited this long for Win8.
I guess if you are an every day user then Android might not work for you... I've been using Linux for a long time and to be able to tweak the Android kernel to my liking, automatically puts it light years ahead of iOS and Windows 8 for me. It is not a terrible OS by any means. Yes there is some fracturing going on with Android and it's devices, but that really only applies to manufacturer software/drivers. The cool thing about Android is that you are not tied to the manufacturer software and drivers, you can install the latest and greatest of everything if you know how. Or you can write your own drivers, optimized to your liking. Saying "it's a shame people consider it worth buying" is just so incredibly wrong... The transparency, scalability, and potential of Android/Linux puts Windows and iOS/OS X to shame. But if tinkering isn't your thing, then ya, pick a newb friendly device.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Flow

MTU beating the #1 gophers after 2 periods. I love my school.

Closed Thread