HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lightning To Get New "Dallas Cowboysesque" Scoreboard

Old
10-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

vCash: 500
It looks like a giant Zamboni hanging in the rafters

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
The Dallas Cowboys organization is just one big gimmick. Modelling another organization after them isn't a great idea
It is if you're looking to make a ****-ton of cash. The Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in American history, worth over $2 billion (only one team on Earth is more valuable: Manchester United).

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Chootoi

Those guys painting the ice look like they're going to paint themselves into the middle with no where to go and have to mission impossible it to the rafters to get out. Hopefully the scoreboard has a tractor beam.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:27 AM
FlyingPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
Those guys painting the ice look like they're going to paint themselves into the middle with no where to go and have to mission impossible it to the rafters to get out. Hopefully the scoreboard has a tractor beam.
Presumably the gravitational pull of the enormous scoreboard will pull them away from the Earth and to safety.

FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:34 AM
TrillMike

I've only been to the new Cowboys stadium once. That place is a joke. More than half the crowd watches the f-ing scoreboard instead of the game. I hope Tampa doesn't ruin their stadium experience by playing the game above the actual real game.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
It is if you're looking to make a ****-ton of cash. The Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in American history, worth over $2 billion (only one team on Earth is more valuable: Manchester United).
Yeah, but that's based on brand recognition and reputation, not on their stadium development tactics. I don't see how aping their scoreboard design would help.

Personally, I'd worry about the "small" screens on either end as being somewhat inaccessible to folks sitting in those sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I've only been to the new Cowboys stadium once. That place is a joke. More than half the crowd watches the f-ing scoreboard instead of the game. I hope Tampa doesn't ruin their stadium experience by playing the game above the actual real game.
Hey, it gets folks to keep buying stadium tickets instead of cable packages and HDTVs. That by itself arguably makes it a good business strategy for them.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Vamos Rafa
°Vamos!

Which NHL arena still has a jumbotron that would only be considered "new" if this was the 90s?

BTW, that sucks for fans sitting on the netting sides. They get the smaller, narrow screens.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:43 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Touche

I don't think they're (Cowboys) going to win anything for a loooong time though

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Yeah, but that's based on brand recognition and reputation, not on their stadium development tactics. I don't see how aping their scoreboard design would help.

Personally, I'd worry about the "small" screens on either end as being somewhat inaccessible to folks sitting in those sections.
Fair enough, but I would say that getting people to talk about your brand goes a long way towards brand recognition, which is how I'm looking at this. People love new and fancy technology and a 50' wide TV certainly will get people talking (even if only for a time). While a single marketing gimmick won't turn Tampa into the Dallas Cowboys, talking about a TV in the middle of a labor dispute is a pretty good distraction, and if the lockout is over as soon as we all hope it is, a giant TV is a pretty good segue into "buy more tickets!" I know quite a few people who had never been to a Cowboys game (don't waste your time, you end up paying hundreds of dollars to stare at a TV anyway) who put up a boatload of cash to get into the new stadium, largely because of the press the screen got. (I grew up around Dallas and my family lives there)

Old
10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
The fact that the Xcel Energy Center, one of the nicest arenas in the league, has yet to upgrade to an HD scoreboard pisses me off.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Fair enough, but I would say that getting people to talk about your brand goes a long way towards brand recognition, which is how I'm looking at this. People love new and fancy technology and a 50' wide TV certainly will get people talking (even if only for a time). While a single marketing gimmick won't turn Tampa into the Dallas Cowboys, talking about a TV in the middle of a labor dispute is a pretty good distraction, and if the lockout is over as soon as we all hope it is, a giant TV is a pretty good segue into "buy more tickets!" I know quite a few people who had never been to a Cowboys game (don't waste your time, you end up paying hundreds of dollars to stare at a TV anyway) who put up a boatload of cash to get into the new stadium, largely because of the press the screen got. (I grew up around Dallas and my family lives there)
Good point, but I guess I don't see that particularly being a major need for Tampa Bay. They already draw fans pretty well last I checked.

...then again, maybe such a gimmick will enable a ticket price hike.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Satan
bend to squares

That thing is beautiful.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Good point, but I guess I don't see that particularly being a major need for Tampa Bay. They already draw fans pretty well last I checked.

...then again, maybe such a gimmick will enable a ticket price hike.
Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe the owner just wanted a big ass TV. Crazier things have happened.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:19 PM
sonny side up

The screen is beautiful, and it looks bigger in person that it does in pics. Sitting in the corners will not be pleasant though, seeing the two different sized screens at once will not be the most comfortable thing.

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

For some reason all I can imagine is that thing falling and squashing the skaters.

I guess it's a good time to be the goalie. The only thing you won't get hit with...

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

I think it's awesome. And anyone who watches it over the actual ice (during play obviously) has their own issues.

Haters gonna hate I think it's sweet.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Vamos Rafa
°Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
The fact that the Xcel Energy Center, one of the nicest arenas in the league, has yet to upgrade to an HD scoreboard pisses me off.

This is not HD?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:09 PM
John Stamos
Have Mercy!

That things a Beast

John Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:25 PM
chuckdobbins

Call me crazy, but I don't like the giant wall of screen. I like the scoreboard to actually have some depth or layers to it, just something more than a screen.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:50 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
For some reason all I can imagine is that thing falling and squashing the skaters.

I guess it's a good time to be the goalie. The only thing you won't get hit with...
like this?

but yeah, my that tampa scoreboard looks beautiful for those with side seats.

The aspect ratio would piss the hell out of me if i had an end seat though.

10-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Mouse21*

wow. pretty kickass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Which NHL arena still has a jumbotron that would only be considered "new" if this was the 90s?
the Avs. got ours in 2000. it is not only standard Def (on small little screens) but the pepsi ball on the bottom is broken...

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 02:15 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
You'll have to explain why you would hallucinate that a team that pulls 18,400 a game would receive revenue sharing.
You have to charge more than 10 dollars a seat to make actual profit. Selling out the arena is irrelevant. That has nothing to do with making money\.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
You have to charge more than 10 dollars a seat to make actual profit. Selling out the arena is irrelevant. That has nothing to do with making money\.
It took me three minutes to determine that the cheapest ticket in Tampa last season was $17.75. Are you done being ignorant now?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 02:58 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
like this?

but yeah, my that tampa scoreboard looks beautiful for those with side seats.

The aspect ratio would piss the hell out of me if i had an end seat though.
Damn it, you beat me too it.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
Maybe it's because I've never been to an NHL game but whenever I see these scoreboards I always think that I would be terrified playing under it, for fear that it would collapse and destroy the ice.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote