HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

How to encourage more trading in fantasy league?

Old
10-16-2012, 07:19 PM
bromine

vCash: 50
How to encourage more trading in fantasy league?

I've been commish of a Yahoo league for the last 7 years. It's a Rotisserie league with fairly standard stats (G, A, +/-, PIM, GAA, W, SO, PPP, SHP, GWG). It's been a semi-keeper league (7 keepers per team) for the last 2 years, and the league typically has 10-12 teams.

While the league is fun, it would be more fun with more interaction between the GMs (i.e. trades) going on. We generally have between 1-3 trades in the entire league per year. Most GMs just manage their teams by adding and dropping players from the free agent list.

Any other people have this problem? Has anyone come up with a solution?

I'm thinking about expanding the roster size, so that the quality of available free agent diminishes quickly. Would this work?

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:08 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
I've been commish of a Yahoo league for the last 7 years. It's a Rotisserie league with fairly standard stats (G, A, +/-, PIM, GAA, W, SO, PPP, SHP, GWG). It's been a semi-keeper league (7 keepers per team) for the last 2 years, and the league typically has 10-12 teams.

While the league is fun, it would be more fun with more interaction between the GMs (i.e. trades) going on. We generally have between 1-3 trades in the entire league per year. Most GMs just manage their teams by adding and dropping players from the free agent list.

Any other people have this problem? Has anyone come up with a solution?

I'm thinking about expanding the roster size, so that the quality of available free agent diminishes quickly. Would this work?
Would defiantly help.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Elever
Hth

Make a league chatroom or use skype. Msn or some other iming program rather than email can get trade talk going.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Make a league chatroom or use skype. Msn or some other iming program rather than email can get trade talk going.
Chatroom is a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of ESPN, but they have a chatroom built in to the league homepage which makes it really convenient to get a quick message out. Their trading block is really nice as well.

Increased roster size might help as well.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:01 PM
mksee

Larger rosters

You want bad teams trading their good players to good teams for prospects.....and the good teams competing for those players. You could also make trading draft picks an option. Otherwise keep it simple....too many rules can decrease trades. If you need a league rules lawyer and accountant to advise on making deals nothing will get done.

A web page or chat where available players can be posted would help.

mksee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Elever
Hth

Well in regards to chatting, I just found it great to do negotiations and it sped things up when we were doing it on MSN rather than going back and forth on e-mails.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:59 PM
stevens8204

Send a message via AIM to stevens8204 Send a message via MSN to stevens8204 Send a message via Skype™ to stevens8204
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Well in regards to chatting, I just found it great to do negotiations and it sped things up when we were doing it on MSN rather than going back and forth on e-mails.
Agreed...chatting is quite the helper here more than anything else. Also, a slight increase of the roster size may help but less.

stevens8204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:48 AM
ponder

I find head to head leagues are a little more interactive, could be a way to get more communication happening. People tend to talk with whoever they're matched up against for the week, and there's just more going on because there are a bunch of winners and losers every week.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:44 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I find head to head leagues are a little more interactive, could be a way to get more communication happening. People tend to talk with whoever they're matched up against for the week, and there's just more going on because there are a bunch of winners and losers every week.
I think this is a good point.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:18 PM
jer33

Every league I've been a part of has had it's own messageboards/chat (proboards) - with sections for managers to post their rosters/prospects/picks, as well as their trade block.

- league expansion, more managers/smaller free agent pool
- change up scoring cats
- limit number of free agent pickups

jer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Slats432

Big prizes for "Trade of the year?" or Top GM? or most improved team?

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote