HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-18-2012, 03:35 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Now, consider that nearly every thread in some way comes back to someone demanding heads. Consider who's taken a lot of abuse on this very board for not demanding a purge in the front office.
Consider those that took abuse before wanting Howson's head became in vogue. At one point you and Viqsi (who by the way is less on your side than she was a year ago) where in the majority.

If we start winning, you'll be in the majority again.

By the way, the odd position to be in are those calling for patience after half a decade of futility on top a previous half decade of futility. It makes little sense honestly. We're splitting hairs on which regime was less effective.

Unlike DSL, I get the humor of Viqsi's post and why she made it here.

So how about that Davidson guy?

Last edited by blahblah: 10-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Y'know what I'm entertained by? The possibility that Davidson gets hired and then doesn't fire Howson.

I wonder just how many heads around here would explode.
Well the joke is still on you, and all of us, because Howson is still the GM. So nobody wins.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Let's consider the source here. One is me (a legendary loudmouth who skewers anything and anyone), and the other is Viqsi (me-lite, more pointed but less abrasive. As far as I know, she's never coded insults into posts, which I've done a time or two.)

Now, consider that nearly every thread in some way comes back to someone demanding heads. Consider who's taken a lot of abuse on this very board for not demanding a purge in the front office. That's just what's been publicly stated on the boards; if her (or Roadman's) PM box has looked anything like what mine did, simply maintaining sanity is amazing.

Pass up a chance to take a jab at "the other side"? C'mon.
I think it's safe to say that won't happen. We still have the worst team in the NHL.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
We still have the worst team in the NHL.
Last year's team was the worst team in the NHL. This year's team is not the same team and whether or not it is also the worst team in the NHL remains to be seen.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Last year's team was the worst team in the NHL. This year's team is not the same team and whether or not it is also the worst team in the NHL remains to be seen.
You are the Cup winner until you aren't. Until a season is played we are the worst team in the NHL. It's our title to defend!

Old
10-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You are the Cup winner until you aren't. Until a season is played we are the worst team in the NHL. It's our title to defend!
So the awful stench of woefullness lasts as long as the sweet smell of success ?

Sigh....

Nonetheless, it is not the same team and I look forward to seeing this new team on the ice.

Old
10-18-2012, 04:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
So the awful stench of woefullness lasts as long as the sweet smell of success ?
It will until around, at least, game 30 or so. Until we are safely out of last.

Quote:
Nonetheless, it is not the same team and I look forward to seeing this new team on the ice.
Indeed, me too. However, we have to prove we are a different team.

Old
10-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:

Indeed, me too. However, we have to prove we are a different team.

You mean on the ice???

Old
10-18-2012, 08:57 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
It was LS, not you. You jumped in the middle of an exchange between him and me. Sorry if I lost track during the barrage you became the victim.
Say what?!?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Say what?!?
ludiocrus speed or however you spell it. You are lee.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:42 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
ludiocrus speed or however you spell it. You are lee.
Whew! Now onto a debate I KNOW I'm involved in...

Yes Skraut, Davidson WOULD be the kind of front office change I'm looking for. I hope it happens and I hope it doesn't stop there.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Many have asked for a John Davidson / #CBJ update. Truth is, not much to update. Far as I can tell, no snags, no setbacks. Just takes time.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 02:18 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Many have asked for a John Davidson / #CBJ update. Truth is, not much to update. Far as I can tell, no snags, no setbacks. Just takes time.
Understandable and the delay would probably be from the Davidson camp. Not about the Blue Jackets organization but more of a personal level(moving to Columbus and calling it home for the next couple of years). Blue Jackets should give them time to think it over without bothering them(phoning them for updates etc) and I'm assuming that Davidson is classy enough that he would tell the organization that he is joining or moving in a different direction in a timely fashion.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
OK but still I don't get the joy in potentially skewering a groupthink that doesn't appear to exist.
Folks seem to be suggesting that Davidson is somehow "deliverance" from Howson and Priest (okay, sure, he'd help), and yet there still seems to be an overly large focus on vindictive vengeance rather than actual reasoned planning on the part of some of those assembled here. But not everybody. Not by half.

So part of it was indeed to poke at folks who genuinely do think that way... but the other part was to get those other folks to come out and acknowledge that such a position is madness, that the "Howson isn't getting the job done" crowd isn't as universally united as the extremists would like to believe, and that they don't feel that a firing is necessarily fully required to improve the situation.

Right now I think that's working pretty damn well, personally.

Quote:
Consider those that took abuse before wanting Howson's head became in vogue. At one point you and Viqsi (who by the way is less on your side than she was a year ago) where in the majority.

If we start winning, you'll be in the majority again.
I'm not sure if either position has really been in the majority per se. Unless one counts "majority" as "being able to speak without the chimps throwing crap at you."

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 01:19 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm not sure if either position has really been in the majority per se. Unless one counts "majority" as "being able to speak without the chimps throwing crap at you."
There was little to no appetite for Howson to leave after the playoff season. I started being critical and it led to flat out rebellion on my part during that season. Trust me, I would know. I had to defend that with almost no support and without a lot of "are you f'ing crazy" posts. Right now, replacing Howson is a clear majority at this point. We're probably talking a true majority as well, at 51%. Not majority after figuring in all the fence sitters.

For clarification, this is for posters here. This has nothing to do with those voicing their opinions during an OSU football game, where half of them barely know the Bluejackets exist. Where most of those guys barely know who Howson is, never mind Priest and most probably have no idea we have a different owner than we did 6 years ago.

Just keep in mind what you call revenge is, by a lot of people definitions, being held accountable for the job he has done. If you don't perform, someone else is found to do the job. You don't continue to extend the contract. I can't see anything measurable that you can come up with to defend Howson's continued employment. I see no metric. The best you can do is make the claim that we have better prospects, however it will take time to prove that is a true statement. What is clear is that we are spending more money with worse results with the big club. We spending more money per win while bleeding cash.

We seem to have a general consensus that Davidson should be hired. I can tell you that is quite terrifying to me and makes me look closer at the situation.

Last edited by blahblah: 10-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 01:35 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Just keep in mind what you call revenge is, by a lot of people definitions, being held accountable for the job he has done.
I misused that word in a post in this thread, what I should have said was, "I want results, not validation for previous posts." It is very hard, based on record, to justify Howson's continued employment; however, if Davidson comes in, retains SH, and the team wins, I'm fine with it, no matter what I have said in he past.

Win and all is forgiven.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I misused that word in a post in this thread, what I should have said was, "I want results, not validation for previous posts." It is very hard, based on record, to justify Howson's continued employment; however, if Davidson comes in, retains SH, and the team wins, I'm fine with it, no matter what I have said in he past.

Win and all is forgiven.
Replace the phrase "I'm fine with it", with "I'll stomach it", and we're pretty much on the same page. There will never be a point in which I forgive Howson and I certainly won't forget. However, I watch the team not the GM. He's not enough of an issue for me to quit being a fan.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:20 PM
squarelaces

If we are going to hire him, get it done before the lockout ends so he can be ready to go the moment the new CBA is signed. I for one am optimistic that will be soon. With JD on board I'm willing to let him handle the Howson situation as he sees fit.

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:

We seem to have a general consensus that Davidson should be hired. I can tell you that is quite terrifying to me and makes me look closer at the situation.
Maybe I've missed something along the way, but why does the thought that someone who has a very successful career in almost anything hockey related and would give the CBJ instant credibility, being hired, terrify you?

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Then again is it the fact that everyone here is agreeing on something, what terrifies you?

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I think that most people on this board have been pretty fair about Howson and Priest. Most, including me, have acknowledged that Priest has done a pretty good job on the business side of things, including keeping corporate sponsorships strong.

Howson has done some bone-headed things, but has also done some good things. The problem in his case is that the mistakes have done more damage than the good things could make up for.

While I have agreed that they both need to go, I have also made it plain that I would be happy to see Priest stick around to handle the business side as long as someone (Davidson) were hired to handle the hockey side. In the case of Howson, I am not so forgiving. How long do you let a guy hang around who has done more harm than good, and how many people do you have to hire to babysit him?

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Matt

Somebody should tak JD to Springfield and let him see the future, maybe that would make him agree to come here

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Somebody should tak JD to Springfield and let him see the future, maybe that would make him agree to come here
Hockey-smart people like John Davidson know all of the facts anyhow. He knows what we have in our system, especially coming from the Blues, where he likely scouted our system as much as our own brass did, if nothing else but to get a feel for what the future competition was.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:00 PM
EspenK

From the time JD was hired in St L they went from 57 pts (I think) to over 100 last year.

From the time Howson was hired to last year the Jackets regressed to the worst team in the league.

How could anyone argue that bringing Davidson here would be bad?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
From the time JD was hired in St L they went from 57 pts (I think) to over 100 last year.

From the time Howson was hired to last year the Jackets regressed to the worst team in the league. made the playoffs for the first time ever and (with one exception, last year) have consistently finished higher and with more points than every single Doug MacLean-managed team.

How could anyone argue that bringing Davidson here would be bad?
Fixed it for you. Howson's team's setbacks are viewed as that much greater because he created higher expectations to begin with.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote