HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forsberg out until 1/1/07

Old
05-11-2006, 06:57 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Crazy Scenario

After this year Forsberg is a FA. He wants to go back to Sweden. Is it at all possible to resign him to league minimum contract then loan him to his Swedish team for the regular season. Then he comes back to play for the Flyers in the playoffs. Now they could put incentives or bonus clauses for # of playoff games played, leading the team in point etc in his contract. Then the bonus would be on the cap next year.Wonder if that could be done? Would you do it?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
After this year Forsberg is a FA. He wants to go back to Sweden. Is it at all possible to resign him to league minimum contract then loan him to his Swedish team for the regular season. Then he comes back to play for the Flyers in the playoffs. Now they could put incentives or bonus clauses for # of playoff games played, leading the team in point etc in his contract. Then the bonus would be on the cap next year.Wonder if that could be done? Would you do it?
he's going to be in the NHL past next season... he essentially said this himself. there are rules governing who can and cannot be offered an incentive contract...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 09:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
JohnFlyersFan...Whaddya think? Forsberg is the Ken Griffey, Jr. of hockey? Especially after tonight.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 08:11 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
People just wanted to hand him a roster spot even though he clearly was not ready and then everyone wondered why when he didn't produce, and then found himself on the 4th line.
No. Pavel Brendl was never going to be an NHL player. It had nothing to do with ruining his development by starting him too early. He had his year in the AHL. His not succeeding had nothing to do with his skill level or physical readiness. He was just a lazy player.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 09:38 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
No. Pavel Brendl was never going to be an NHL player. It had nothing to do with ruining his development by starting him too early. He had his year in the AHL. His not succeeding had nothing to do with his skill level or physical readiness. He was just a lazy player.
He was physically ready for the NHL, and he was skilled enough. But like you said, he had no drive or desire to be a NHL player

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 11:10 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
I saw this article in The Denver Post: Forsberg exit still rings hollow

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3813632

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
I saw this article in The Denver Post: Forsberg exit still rings hollow

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3813632
Alot Avs fans are furious with that article. Not all, but majority are.
Kizla is an idiot. If we sign Peter, we won't have anyone in 3rd and 4th line.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 03:22 PM
SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules
Alot Avs fans are furious with that article. Not all, but majority are.
Kizla is an idiot. If we sign Peter, we won't have anyone in 3rd and 4th line.
...and we often won't have Peter, either, since he's injured so much.

Listen, I love the guy, and I would love to have him back, but his salary is an unaffordable luxury for many teams in a salary cap world. The ratio of playing time to cap space used is NOT good.

Does Kizsla not realize that the Avalanche went out meekly in the second round last year, WITH Forsberg, as well?

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 07:40 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerzack
Thank you for proving my point. Atleast FOUR players were too hurt to play in the playoffs: Johnsson, Therein, Primeau and Stevenson and those are just the ones too injured to be effective at all. Don't forget about all the walking wounded.
And thank you for proving mine. The injured players and number of walking wounded on this roster were exactly my point. The Flyers are a team with too many old and brittle players. Their problems throughout the season demonstrated it; their problems in the playoffs demonstrated it; and the team will continue to demonstrate it until it sheds some of those old and brittle players. They'll drop Desjardins which is fine. They'll drop Therien, too, but of course, who is brought in to replace them? If they bring in more old/brittle players, they're really not helping themselves. We can use last season as a perfect illustration of this. The team shed frequently banged up oldsters JR, Recchi, and LeClair and then signed ... frequently banged up oldsters Forsberg, Hatcher, and Therien. Until the team breaks this habit, they will continue to have injury problems. (And fans will continue to cry after the fact thwat "No one could see this coming!!!!!!")

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

trade for sundin.

Refuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 08:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse
trade for sundin.
That's what I'm thinking they'll do. Sundin would be a REAL nice fit in Philadelphia. People are talking about Doug Weight, but they should be calling him Dead Weight because that's what he really is. Put Sundin in Philadelphia and he carries that team until Forsberg comes back. As well, it gives Forsberg more time to heal up from the surgeries to his ankles.

And to be perfectly honest, I can't see Toronto getting a gold mine for him anyways. A couple of prospects and a draft pick. No way do any of our young roster players go to Toronto in return. I could live with Sundin in Philadelphia. It also means that once Forsberg comes back, you can put Mats on the right wing with Forsberg and Gagne. Could be something magical there.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Paul Maurice was just saying how he expects Sundin to be his main man next season.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Paul Maurice was just saying how he expects Sundin to be his main man next season.
he's expensive and old... he doesn't make sense to acquire in the salary cap world... especially when you have all our current centers under contract.

Old
05-13-2006, 12:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
he's expensive and old... he doesn't make sense to acquire in the salary cap world... especially when you have all our current centers under contract.
But there's a difference with Sundin compared to our expensive and old. He's good. He's real good. And when you consider he has one year left on his contract, I'm sure the Flyers could work out some sort of deal that would make it a cap friendly deal. And when you figure in he's never suffered any sort of major injury like concussions, knee operations, should injuries, etc......he'd be a real good fit here.

I know I was reading Philly.com the other day and Tim Pannacio was talking about how the Flyers now have to thrust Carter and Richards into top roles simply to see if they can perform at a high level and be franchise players or if they're nothing more than good complimentary players. Either way, this upcoming season should be real interesting to watch.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
But there's a difference with Sundin compared to our expensive and old. He's good. He's real good. And when you consider he has one year left on his contract, I'm sure the Flyers could work out some sort of deal that would make it a cap friendly deal. And when you figure in he's never suffered any sort of major injury like concussions, knee operations, should injuries, etc......he'd be a real good fit here.

I know I was reading Philly.com the other day and Tim Pannacio was talking about how the Flyers now have to thrust Carter and Richards into top roles simply to see if they can perform at a high level and be franchise players or if they're nothing more than good complimentary players. Either way, this upcoming season should be real interesting to watch.
he's REALLY expensive... and old. you can't change his cap number next year and i believe it is 6+ million (i'm not sure how it works if you work out an extention to the contract...). i'd much rather invest in an expensive dman like Redden, than in another center when Forsberg is already here. Sundin would be a real good fit anywhere... where they have the cap space and roster that makes it make sense. we would be better off trading for a high priced RW than another high priced center.

if we're looking at established players... i'd much rather go after a guy like Weight who can play center while Forsberg is out and then potentially take over the RW slot on the Carter line.

Old
05-13-2006, 03:36 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
i still think weight or sillinger would be the best bets. there both FAs so we dont lose any assets, they both play C and wing, both good on the FO, and both solid veterens and would be god mentors.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote