HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 10:59 AM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
Maybe I've got it all wrong, but they should be happy to be there. What makes them above everyone else? Because other people pay to watch them? I'm happy that I have a job. I'm thankful that I wasn't a casualty of the recession. I always cry and moan about my low salary but I know that I'm far better off then a couple of the guys I know who lost their jobs recently.

I can understand people siding with players because they earn a paycheck just like the most of us. And just like us, would like to be paid better with better benefits. A big difference would be that they have a union that fights for those things while I don't have one of those. So when my employer says they lost money last year so they can't give me a raise or pay bonuses, I say okay as long as all of us still have jobs.

Some of these players make more than 100 times what I make a year. And they're complaining about a 10% salary decrease after they collective saw their pay increase by almost 100% in less than 10 years? What is making it worse is that these idiot players keep spewing crap all over the internet. (Thank goodness no Kings player has made themselves look foolish- yet). But they shall get no sympathy from me. Neither shall the owners. Bad business decisions, specifically giving out ridiculous contracts.
This situation is the same as any labor negotiation. There is just more money at stake due to their unique skills. To begrudge someone who has earned more money and wants to keep what he has earned is petty. Make no mistake, these men have earned their salaries.

Again, this is the owners demanding the players to bail them out for their mismanagemnet.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:02 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
Totally agree, Buddy.

Like I said before, if stupid Fehr would just try to work with the league, come back with a proposal based on the owners offer with no rollbacks, starting at 54% and ratcheting down to 50%-50% , we would be trying to win a second Stanley Cup right now. But Fehr just wants to be tough and keep pushing his agenda.

This could be all just part of the negotiation and process of the deal, but it can be real frustrating to us fans. We're all pretty sure where this will end up, so it's like make a deal already. But when two(or way more) lawyers get involved, it's going to take a long time.
Owners and players need to know that losing a year will cause damage to their sport that will take another 5 years to recover. This is not good for either parties.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:11 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Bettman and Fehr are two of the worst people to be negotiating for this CBA. Fans are screwed.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
LombardiTool

Didn't want to start a thread for this but I read online that Kevin Westhgrath is skating with the Caroline Hurricanes. Hopefully some of the Staal rubs off on him.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:42 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Bettman and Fehr are two of the worst people to be negotiating for this CBA. Fans are screwed.
Yep, this "last minute offer" should have been made back in September in an attempt to save the entire season (preseason included.) The fact that those two are heading this whole thing is the main reason I have nop faith in NHL hockey being played this year.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Again, this is the owners demanding the players to bail them out for their mismanagemnet.
And players and their agents are completely blameless in this? Doughty holding out to get more money is on the owners? UFAs and their agents playing teams against each other to get obscene contracts is all the owners fault? Why did all these players want insane "signing" bonuses in their contracts? Why did they want all this money up front? Was this for the betterment of the game and NHL? Was this for the future? Nope, it was a money grab by the players and the owners had to give in or they don't get the players they believe will help them win.

If the owners "protected" themselves by limiting contract offers to UFAs/RFAs, they would have been sued for collusion and lost millions and possibly billions. The CBA has to be built to protect themselves from the players and agents who always find the loopholes to get more money then they should.

Would you have been happy to not have Doughty at all last year because AEG wanted to save $1 million in salary each season? How about Quick? Should the Kings not have signed him and low balled him?

Old
10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
Maybe I've got it all wrong, but they should be happy to be there. What makes them above everyone else?
They're not different than anybody else. The question is why should ANYONE feel "just happy to be there?" That is a loser mentality. People who are just happy to have a job aren't very good at what they do or they do a job that anyone can do (flip burgers, file paperwork, sit behind a counter at the DMV and be incompetent, etc.).

The players are neither of those things, and just like other people who are very good at what they do in the "real" world, there is no reason they should settle for just being happy to have a job.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And players and their agents are completely blameless in this? Doughty holding out to get more money is on the owners? UFAs and their agents playing teams against each other to get obscene contracts is all the owners fault? Why did all these players want insane "signing" bonuses in their contracts? Why did they want all this money up front? Was this for the betterment of the game and NHL? Was this for the future? Nope, it was a money grab by the players and the owners had to give in or they don't get the players they believe will help them win.

If the owners "protected" themselves by limiting contract offers to UFAs/RFAs, they would have been sued for collusion and lost millions and possibly billions. The CBA has to be built to protect themselves from the players and agents who always find the loopholes to get more money then they should.

Would you have been happy to not have Doughty at all last year because AEG wanted to save $1 million in salary each season? How about Quick? Should the Kings not have signed him and low balled him?
Not only that but the "haves" are constantly driving up the price of second tier players which drives costs up for the "have nots".

Loop holes do need to be closed and some form of revenue sharing needs to happen. It ain't going to happen by making disengenious proposals and calling the NHL "draconian". Give me a ****ing break. You'd think Fehr was talking about coal miners in the 1800's.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
The players are neither of those things, and just like other people who are very good at what they do in the "real" world, there is no reason they should settle for just being happy to have a job.
Well I guess I'm a loser then because I've seen a lot of people come and go over the past 4/5 years and quite frankly, I am just happy to be here. I'm not where I want to be in terms of my career as I've remained stagnant for sometime but there is just way too much volatility right now.

It isn't a matter of their career path. It is a sign of the times. Do these people not realize the economy is still in the ******* regardless of what any polititian says? Every job i've inquired about over the past 3 years has gone to a baby boomer who is desperate for a job and will work for LESS or about the same as I make with 30+ years more experience. That is a sad state of affairs.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:06 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/174864401.html

So apparently Zach Parise is real mad he is one of the few players that collected an NHL paycheck this year. Has no idea what the old adage "don't bite the hand that feeds" actually means. And is somehow unfamiliar with being a complete hypocrite...
He should probably just shut his mouth and go practice throwing pucks into the net since he's no good at that either...

Quote:
“You have all these owners signing big deals minutes before the CBA expires and then going the next day, ‘We don’t want to pay these contracts,” Parise said. “Maybe that’s how they conduct business. That just doesn’t seem right. What if us players signed a deal and said, ‘You know what, I actually want 15 percent more?’”
Yep, they totally should've been smart and asked for 10 mill up front like you right Zach?

Old
10-19-2012, 12:15 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Yep, this "last minute offer" should have been made back in September in an attempt to save the entire season (preseason included.) The fact that those two are heading this whole thing is the main reason I have nop faith in NHL hockey being played this year.
Right there with you. If we had anyone but Fehr and Bettman negotiating, we would be playing hockey. There's too much ego in these negotiating talks. Which is a shame, this was supposed to be a great year for hockey, Kings raise their banner and begin their defense...and I was looking forward to seeing the Winter Classic at the Big House.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

LOLPARISE

ye sucks for you that you are being paid 10 million to do absolutely nothing whereas guys like Zenen Konopka are making 0 money and are probably worrying about their next paycheck

woe is you

Old
10-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Master Yoda
Master Deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
This situation is the same as any labor negotiation. There is just more money at stake due to their unique skills. To begrudge someone who has earned more money and wants to keep what he has earned is petty. Make no mistake, these men have earned their salaries.

I'm not really begrudging them for wanting to earn more money. They've certainly earned it with years of hard work and determination, and just flat out being more physically gifted than most of us. Everybody wants to earn more money. I would be ecstatic if I could form a union at my workplace and bargain for more money and better benefits. That doesn't mean I'm going to ask for a higher pay every chance I get even when the business is losing money. Its just not realistic.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Master Yoda
Master Deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
They're not different than anybody else. The question is why should ANYONE feel "just happy to be there?" That is a loser mentality. People who are just happy to have a job aren't very good at what they do or they do a job that anyone can do (flip burgers, file paperwork, sit behind a counter at the DMV and be incompetent, etc.).

Okay, I'm a loser and I flip burgers for a living and I suck at it too.

Do winners never feel satisfied with their jobs? Do winners always have to want more money?

In the "real" world, millions of Americans who lost their jobs, plenty of whom were really good at what they did, would love to be "just happy to be" where I am right now, with a good job. But then again, that doesn't mean I don't want to earn more money. I just don't go on twitter to cry about it.

Old
10-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

You nailed it in my opinion.

These CBA negotiations aren't just about the owners having to protect themselves from themselves. It is as much about the owners trying to protect themselves from agents and players who do in fact manipulate the market.

The biggest hold up in this whole thing (aside from the NHLPA negotiating with a vendetta from seven years ago, stop living in the past please.), in my opinion, is that the players and the NHLPA do not want to admit that they are as much of a problem as the owners. The owners, in my opinion, have SOMEWHAT approached that subject with the new clause that keeps teams and GM's on the hook for bad contracts even after the player has moved on. They've also approached it with the new eligibility for revenue sharing of teams who were not formally involved. They could do more certainly, but it's a very good start.

To me that was an admission of, "Yea we messed that up." and we are taking preventative measures.

The players, however, have approached these negotiations, and are STILL approaching these negotiations as an innocent victim to the big bad owners wanting more money. ANY talk of concession is blasphemous to them because they feel that they have done absolutely nothing wrong.

You can't be as big a part of the game (and by 'game' I mean money, contracts, and negotiations) as players and agents are and NOT consider yourself part of the problem that now faces many financially struggling teams.

I know people will just say, well if the owners don't want to get in financial trouble then they shouldn't sign bad contracts. Well then you need to ask yourself how do you stay competitive? If you are Phoenix, or Nashville, or Florida, then how do you outbid the New York, Philadelphias and Montreals of the world? You don't. You then lose ticket sales due to lack of success and you have a forever widening gap of have and have-nots, then the NHL becomes the NBA where the same teams are successful every single season because they can throw money around at players that other GMs owners and teams can't even dream of.

The Shea Weber situation was almost certainly the straw that broke the camels back, and a situation that, in a microcosm, effectively sums up the problem.

Nashville can not compete with Philly financially. Philly knew that, Nashville knew that, Shea Weber knew that. Nashville tried to offer Weber a contract that A) didn't hurt the team in the long run, B) allowed them to have cap space to sign SOME other quality players. Philadelphia saw the opportunity and tried to steal Weber away with an offer sheet. Weber accepted the offer sheet in an effort to drive up his own price.

Who's really at fault here? Philadelphia and Shea Weber. Sure you can argue that Weber was just trying to get paid, and deserved that sort of money. However, where is the justice and good faith from both the upper echelon team AND Shea Weber and his agent to help a have-not sort of team? Where is the integrity? Weber knew what he was doing, as did Doughty, as did Penner in 07' and Vanek back when he accepted the sheet from Edmonton. It should have never been offered by Philly, and it should have never been accepted by Weber. Both of those actions put an exclamation point on players and larger market teams handcuffing small market teams. If the players refuse to recognize that the actions of a Shea Weber are wrong and instead point all the blame on Philadelphia nothing will ever get done. That's currently where we are.

I think the most frustrating thing overall is that, from my eyeballing of forums and twitter, many fans now see it. If we can see it, certainly the players should be able to correct? You would think so but here we sit with more cancellations on the horizon.

That's just this mans opinion though.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Wait, there are people who are happy at their job?

Old
10-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post

These CBA negotiations aren't just about the owners having to protect themselves from themselves. It is as much about the owners trying to protect themselves from agents and players who do in fact manipulate the market.

The biggest hold up in this whole thing (aside from the NHLPA negotiating with a vendetta from seven years ago, stop living in the past please.), in my opinion, is that the players and the NHLPA do not want to admit that they are as much of a problem as the owners. The owners, in my opinion, have SOMEWHAT approached that subject with the new clause that keeps teams and GM's on the hook for bad contracts even after the player has moved on. They've also approached it with the new eligibility for revenue sharing of teams who were not formally involved. They could do more certainly, but it's a very good start.

To me that was an admission of, "Yea we messed that up." and we are taking preventative measures.

The players, however, have approached these negotiations, and are STILL approaching these negotiations as an innocent victim to the big bad owners wanting more money. ANY talk of concession is blasphemous to them because they feel that they have done absolutely nothing wrong.

You can't be as big a part of the game (and by 'game' I mean money, contracts, and negotiations) as players and agents are and NOT consider yourself part of the problem that now faces many financially struggling teams.

I know people will just say, well if the owners don't want to get in financial trouble then they shouldn't sign bad contracts. Well then you need to ask yourself how do you stay competitive? If you are Phoenix, or Nashville, or Florida, then how do you outbid the New York, Philadelphias and Montreals of the world? You don't. You then lose ticket sales due to lack of success and you have a forever widening gap of have and have-nots, then the NHL becomes the NBA where the same teams are successful every single season because they can throw money around at players that other GMs owners and teams can't even dream of.

The Shea Weber situation was almost certainly the straw that broke the camels back, and a situation that, in a microcosm, effectively sums up the problem.

Nashville can not compete with Philly financially. Philly knew that, Nashville knew that, Shea Weber knew that. Nashville tried to offer Weber a contract that A) didn't hurt the team in the long run, B) allowed them to have cap space to sign SOME other quality players. Philadelphia saw the opportunity and tried to steal Weber away with an offer sheet. Weber accepted the offer sheet in an effort to drive up his own price.

Who's really at fault here? Philadelphia and Shea Weber. Sure you can argue that Weber was just trying to get paid, and deserved that sort of money. However, where is the justice and good faith from both the upper echelon team AND Shea Weber and his agent to help a have-not sort of team? Where is the integrity? Weber knew what he was doing, as did Doughty, as did Penner in 07' and Vanek back when he accepted the sheet from Edmonton. It should have never been offered by Philly, and it should have never been accepted by Weber. Both of those actions put an exclamation point on players and larger market teams handcuffing small market teams. If the players refuse to recognize that the actions of a Shea Weber are wrong and instead point all the blame on Philadelphia nothing will ever get done. That's currently where we are.

I think the most frustrating thing overall is that, from my eyeballing of forums and twitter, many fans now see it. If we can see it, certainly the players should be able to correct? You would think so but here we sit with more cancellations on the horizon.

critical thinking and common sense on the internet!

Old
10-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post

Excellent post, jay. You and Sydor summarized the thoughts I get every time someone whines about the owners being totally at fault here much better than I ever could. Both of your posts should be required reading for anyone before they comment on the situation.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:53 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/174864401.html

So apparently Zach Parise is real mad he is one of the few players that collected an NHL paycheck this year. Has no idea what the old adage "don't bite the hand that feeds" actually means. And is somehow unfamiliar with being a complete hypocrite...
He should probably just shut his mouth and go practice throwing pucks into the net since he's no good at that either...

Yep, they totally should've been smart and asked for 10 mill up front like you right Zach?
Yes Zach, what it would be like if a guy signed a contract then said "Give me 15% more"? That wouldn't be like say, a hold-out? Professional athletes have never done that before so what the owners are doing is obviously completely unprecedented.

This idiot should be stoked if he winds up getting 75% of that contract he signed as he isn't worth it.

I also love how his new owner was kind enough to greenlight a huge contract that he will never live up to and he returns the favor by insulting him. Zach...you knew the CBA was expiring and you knew the owners would want monies coming back their way..take your signing bonus and shut your overrated mouth.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:55 PM
bobafettish*

wait, zach parise is getting paid this year regardless if there is a season or not LOLLL

Old
10-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Ollie Weeks

Jesus Christ the players and Fehr are wearing my patience down. I didn't agree with them a couple months ago, but the ones who insist on emerging from the crowd and making statements like Parise's to tug at our heartstrings, those are the guys I ****ing LOATHE.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Ollie Weeks

I posted this article a couple weeks back, it centered around the shady dismissal of Paul Kelly in 2009. Its a pretty good look at the behind the scenes machinery of the NHLPA.

Paul Kelly Firing Proves NHLPA Will Never Learn (August 31, 2009)

This is a new one, covers a lot of similar ground. Its nice to see it get some more play, but I wish more people would make mention of this stuff on the main boards.

NHL lockout: Players pay now for NHLPA coup (October 19, 2012)

Old
10-19-2012, 08:50 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
wait, zach parise is getting paid this year regardless if there is a season or not LOLLL
Yes, Parise and Suter both got a 10 million signing bonus meaning they already have in pocket 10 mill from the first year of their contracts with the Wild. They got 10 of the 12 million just from signing their names on the contract.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Yes, Parise and Suter both got a 10 million signing bonus meaning they already have in pocket 10 mill from the first year of their contracts with the Wild. They got 10 of the 12 million just from signing their names on the contract.
and, again, who's doing was that?

Oh yeah, an owner now crying poor. Just lol.

Old
10-20-2012, 03:25 AM
Rusty Batch

Players need to accept 50-50 but not until year 3 of deal. HRR definition should not change. Owners need to give up on all of the rest of the changes.

Owners are trying to steamroll players. And players keep trying to change framework. Cluster ****!

Closed Thread