HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MacArthur for your defensive d-man

Old
10-19-2012, 10:44 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Volchenkov.
I'd probably do it. Makes some room up front for Kadri and/or Frattin, and puts a much needed veteran on the blueline.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Seconded. Schultz + 4th?
I honestly wouldn't mind this but we don't need defensemen as more as we need picks in the upcoming draft is Mac is traded.

10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I was thinking of two deals but I'm a Pens fan so I do not have any bias. I also am not updated with team needs.

1) Would Leafs fans do Douglas Murray + 3rd/offensive prospect for MacArthur? I know it's not the perfect deal, but I think that guy would be very good on the Leafs.

2) Mark Stuart for MacArthur +++++. Everyone here knows I'm a huge Stuart fan and believe he has great value. Toronto has to add, but it's a good starting point.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I was thinking of two deals but I'm a Pens fan so I do not have any bias. I also am not updated with team needs.

1) Would Leafs fans do Douglas Murray + 3rd/offensive prospect for MacArthur? I know it's not the perfect deal, but I think that guy would be very good on the Leafs.

2) Mark Stuart for MacArthur +++++. Everyone here knows I'm a huge Stuart fan and believe he has great value. Toronto has to add, but it's a good starting point.
TBH I'd think the leafs would like prospects or players who are just about to hit their stride in the NHL. Such as a Carter Ashton or so, more than a defensive defensemen, since we already seemed to have found on in Holzer. Not to mention Komisarek was getting in form under Carlyle's coaching.

I still think Burke would do whatever possible to get a player such as I have mentioned or a low first rounder or a second round pick if possible more than a defensive defensemen. I do like the thought of having Mark stuart though.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
I don't think any Canucks fans will be offering [Ballard].
That's odd, considering that he seems to be involved or mentioned in 99% of trade proposals involving the Canucks.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Badger25

I'd be willing to give Holzer/Komisarek a chance unter Carlyle. anything including MacArthur will be a deadline deal IMO.

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Liles-Holzer
Komi-Gardiner
.????

Who's the 7th D? If theres an injury, especially to Phaneuf, that groups looking VERY thin. Blackers not ready and Ranger probably needs some time to readjust. Franson sounds like he doesnt want to come back, I think he said he was staying in Europe all year regardless of CBA.

I would trade Mac for a defensive D. Especially since we picked up JVR in offseason, and Kadri/Frattin are knocking at the door.
Franson. There is zero indication that he doesn't want to play for the Leafs, or that he won't be coming back when a new CBA is signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
He has only played 2 NHL games in his entire career. Not sure how you can say he is ready.
Because he has been rocking the AHL, he is 24 (probably 25 when the season starts), and every GM, scout, and their mother agrees that he looks ready. And he was given a 1-way contract.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

I would actually rather deal Grabovski for Boumeester. Would be a good complimentary piece to Phaneuf. Screw it, I'll make a thread for it also haha.
Phaneuf-Boumeester
Gardiner-Gunnarson
Liles-Holzer
--------------
Franson-Komisarek

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Franson. There is zero indication that he doesn't want to play for the Leafs, or that he won't be coming back when a new CBA is signed.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Cody Franson has signed a one-year contract to play in the Swedish league, regardless of whether the NHL lockout is resolved.

Franson says on the club's website that "it feels very inspiring coming to Brynas, and staying the entire season."

.... You were saying?

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:56 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Cody Franson has signed a one-year contract to play in the Swedish league, regardless of whether the NHL lockout is resolved.

Franson says on the club's website that "it feels very inspiring coming to Brynas, and staying the entire season."

.... You were saying?
We'll see what happend if the lockout ends.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:21 PM
zytz
lumberjack

You can have Montador

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:29 PM
CreeksideStrangler

You can't be serious... Grabo is our best centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I would actually rather deal Grabovski for Boumeester. Would be a good complimentary piece to Phaneuf. Screw it, I'll make a thread for it also haha.
Phaneuf-Boumeester
Gardiner-Gunnarson
Liles-Holzer
--------------
Franson-Komisarek

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:44 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Liles-Holzer
Komi-Gardiner
.????

Who's the 7th D? If theres an injury, especially to Phaneuf, that groups looking VERY thin. Blackers not ready and Ranger probably needs some time to readjust. Franson sounds like he doesnt want to come back, I think he said he was staying in Europe all year regardless of CBA.

I would trade Mac for a defensive D. Especially since we picked up JVR in offseason, and Kadri/Frattin are knocking at the door.
The far better questions is... what the heck is Korbinian Holzer doing in the top 4?

There's really only 1 way to look at the Leafs current blueline -- you've got Phaneuf and Gunnarsson at the top. You've got Gardiner and Liles who will go back and forth between being the puckmover on the 2nd pair and 3rd pair. You've got Komisarek who the Leafs hope can find his way to being a top 4 guy under Carlyle, but have to expect that he'll be a bottom pairing guy.

That's a glaring hole in the Leafs top 4... yeah, Franson might have an out clause, but he's not the stay at home defenceman that the Leafs need playing opposite a Liles/Gardiner.

That being said, with the quantity of young defenceman and prospects that the Leafs have... the trade for a defenceman now has to fit within some fairly narrow parameters. It's either gotta be a long term solution, or come really cheap. If we're looking at the long term route, it's gotta be a guy with a reasonable salary, who's young enough to fit with our team, and little to no concern of him not being good enough to be a top 4 guy.

While Douglas Murray may satisfy 2 of those criteria, he doesn't satisfy the 3rd which makes his value to Toronto nothing more than a stop gap solution. Volchenkov is certainly worth discussing, but you run the risk of the leafs getting another Komisarek with a much longer contract. Hjalmarsson would probably be the ideal target, but also unlikely to be available.

Who's the 7th D? Holzer. He's got a whopping total of 2 games NHL experience, and we're penciling him into the top 6??

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 06:52 PM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

Quote:
Bozak for Hjarlmarsson I think is a fair deal for both sides that gets Toronto a steady defensively responsible top 4 guy.

With MacArthur... a bit harder to think of a solid deal. Maybe somebody out of Phoenix, Winnipeg, NJ, or Anaheim? I could maybe see those teams wanting Mac.
Um, no. Top-six wingers in Perry, Ryan, Selanne and Palmieri, and bottom-six wingers in Smith-Pelly, Cogliano, Beleskey, Winnik and Staubitz.

Just no room for him, unless we want to delay the development of our good wing prospects.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:24 PM
matt trick

Douglas Murray for McArthur would work for the sharks, but I think something like a 3rd might be needed for Toronto to pull the trigger.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:38 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Douglas Murray for McArthur would work for the sharks, but I think something like a 3rd might be needed for Toronto to pull the trigger.
No. Douglas Murray just isn't the right starting point for a guy like MacArthur.

If the Leafs are going to drop the value they have in MacArthur, it's gotta be to accomplish a long term solution (Douglas Murray definitely isn't one and the Leafs would be immediately seeking to replace him), or straight futures. The only way Murray + a 3rd would work is in a scenario where MacArthur isn't worth substantially more than a 3rd.

What Toronto needs is the defenceman that Komisarek should be, so that they can get rid of his $4.5m contract and allow a youngster to take the #6 spot.

Old
10-19-2012, 07:43 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
No. Douglas Murray just isn't the right starting point for a guy like MacArthur.

If the Leafs are going to drop the value they have in MacArthur, it's gotta be to accomplish a long term solution (Douglas Murray definitely isn't one and the Leafs would be immediately seeking to replace him), or straight futures. The only way Murray + a 3rd would work is in a scenario where MacArthur isn't worth substantially more than a 3rd.

What Toronto needs is the defenceman that Komisarek should be, so that they can get rid of his $4.5m contract and allow a youngster to take the #6 spot.
I cam understand that. However, I've seen value of threads for McArthur, placing him at a 2nd, which I expect isn't far off what Murray would get. That said, it would be from a playoff team, not a team that is building for runs in 2-4 years. He is most definitely qualified as a solid defensive dman however.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:45 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
I cam understand that. However, I've seen value of threads for McArthur, placing him at a 2nd, which I expect isn't far off what Murray would get. That said, it would be from a playoff team, not a team that is building for runs in 2-4 years. He is most definitely qualified as a solid defensive dman however.
Well.. first you consider that Burke's been offered firsts at the deadline... second, if the season does happen, there's a distinct possibility that the 1-year cap remains at $70m in an effort to make it as easy as possible to start the year, meaning a guy like MacArthur who can score 20 for $3.25m x 1 year would hold substantial value when so many teams are so far from the cap.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:49 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Well.. first you consider that Burke's been offered firsts at the deadline... second, if the season does happen, there's a distinct possibility that the 1-year cap remains at $70m in an effort to make it as easy as possible to start the year, meaning a guy like MacArthur who can score 20 for $3.25m x 1 year would hold substantial value when so many teams are so far from the cap.
The trade deadline is when teams are most likely to overpay. GMs in a playoff race are jockeying for positions, usually with a limited number of players available.

It's unlikely that gms will overpay at the start of the season. The leafs might have to wait until the next trade deadline, if they expect someone to overpay for MacArthur.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

I remember a while back something around Bozak for Hammer in Chicago. Also thought Tim Connolly was floating around for Hammer also but don't quote me on that.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Big no to #2 as a Jets fan. Unless all the +'s are too good to say no to. Stuart is also sorely needed on the Jets, was given the unsung hero award, and is on a great contract. Plus, unless MacArthur can also play RW, he's not very valuable to us as he's not going to beat out Kane or Ladd for a top6 spot.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:46 PM
DavidBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
Um, no. Top-six wingers in Perry, Ryan, Selanne and Palmieri, and bottom-six wingers in Smith-Pelly, Cogliano, Beleskey, Winnik and Staubitz.

Just no room for him, unless we want to delay the development of our good wing prospects.
As a Ducks fan I don't necessarily agree. Moving Lydman for MacArthur makes a little bit of sense. 1 of the top 6 wings you mentioned is essentially a Rookies. DSP probably figures to slot top 6 with the twins as I don't see Ryan doing it. Selanne may actually end up playing something closer to 3rd line minutes. Another Solid top 6 winger could help them significantly. Not to mention it allows the movement of said prospects for maybe that 2C. Mac could look pretty good with the Finns, I am not sure if he would fit with the twins though. It also allows the Ducks to bring up Vatanen or Lindholm if they are ready.
Forwards would look like this:
DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
MacArthur-Koivu-Selanne
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri
Beleskey-Cogliano-Winnik
Not saying the Ducks should do it, but it may be worth looking into. It really depends on how some of these players do out of camp or at the start of the season.

Last edited by DavidBL: 10-19-2012 at 11:58 PM.
DavidBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:

.... You were saying?
And then confirmation came out soon after that that was all crap.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:19 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The trade deadline is when teams are most likely to overpay. GMs in a playoff race are jockeying for positions, usually with a limited number of players available.

It's unlikely that gms will overpay at the start of the season. The leafs might have to wait until the next trade deadline, if they expect someone to overpay for MacArthur.
The start of this season may be unique because of how many teams could plausibly have $7-8m of cap space, knowing that the cap is going to drop by that amount next year.

Furthermore, if the Leafs goal is simply to cash out on MacArthur, might as well wait until the deadline.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:42 AM
The Shrike

Quote:
...Who's the 7th D? Holzer...
I have him pencilled in at 7:

Gunnarsson/Phaneuf
Liles/Komisarek
Gardiner/Franson
/Holzer

That line up on the blueline is fine for now.

What we need more urgently is a number one goalie, and to a lesser extent a number one centre.

The Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote