HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part V: The "Back to square one" Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2012, 04:37 PM
  #76
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,209
vCash: 500
BTW 135 games canceled is 11% of the season. 11% immediate paycut for the players and (at minimum) revenue reduction for the owners.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 04:50 PM
  #77
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
How else would the CBA have allowed for changes to every player contract in 2005, that cut salaries owed by 24%? CBA lays out the rules that govern contracts. When it expires, things can change in the CBA (and by extension in player contracts) based on what the two sides negotiate.

If that still does not convince you, consider taking a Sports Law class.
Im referring to guaranteed contracts, not rollbacks.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
  #78
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
I wouldnt be surprised if a number of players stayed in the KHL since they honor the term and amount entirely, per Zetterberg.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...-the-contracts

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:02 PM
  #79
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if a number of players stayed in the KHL since they honor the term and amount entirely, per Zetterberg.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...-the-contracts
For those with NHL contracts, that is not an option, as the KHL has a transfer agreement with the NHL.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:06 PM
  #80
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
For those with NHL contracts, that is not an option, as the KHL has a transfer agreement with the NHL.

Cant Ovechkin terminate his contract the same way we all hoped Redden would here?

I wouldnt bet against the KHL making things interesting if a considerable number of players decided to stay.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:07 PM
  #81
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
I wouldnt bet against the KHL making things interesting if a considerable number of players decided to stay.
So much for them honoring their agreements then...

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:08 PM
  #82
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Im referring to guaranteed contracts, not rollbacks.
Those contracts that got rolled back were "guaranteed" too.

HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:10 PM
  #83
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Those contracts that got rolled back were "guaranteed" too.

Its only if the PA agrees. Frankly, I dont blame them. Take the year off.

Shouldnt be setting a precedent of bailing out the owners everytime theres a new CBA. Enough is enough.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:12 PM
  #84
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
So much for them honoring their agreements then...

For Russians? Come on.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:12 PM
  #85
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Cant Ovechkin terminate his contract the same way we all hoped Redden would here?
It would have to be a mutual termination, meaning Washington would have to sign off on it as well.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:14 PM
  #86
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Its only if the PA agrees. Frankly, I dont blame them. Take the year off.

Shouldnt be setting a precedent of bailing out the owners everytime theres a new CBA. Enough is enough.
Yeah, sitting out a year worked out tremendously for them last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
For Russians? Come on.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:16 PM
  #87
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
It would have to be a mutual termination, meaning Washington would have to sign off on it as well.
Hm.

Well, the NHL isnt binded under the IIHF so its essentially a gentlemen's agreement.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:17 PM
  #88
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yeah, sitting out a year worked out tremendously for them last year...


I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

In other words, I think youd only have to worry about honored contracts in the KHL if you werent Russian.

You think they want Ovechkin, Semin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, etc. playing in NA?

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:23 PM
  #89
mschmidt64
Registered User
 
mschmidt64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
I also find Zetterberg's threat to be empty.

Ok. Stay over there then.

You came over here to begin with because this was a great league. We're just doing what we have to, to ensure it stays that way.

You'll be back. And if not you, the next generation of Euro's will be.

mschmidt64 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:25 PM
  #90
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
I also find Zetterberg's threat to be empty.

Ok. Stay over there then.

You came over here to begin with because this was a great league. We're just doing what we have to, to ensure it stays that way.

You'll be back. And if not you, the next generation of Euro's will be.
Cant really blame them though.


Our team only has 4 Europeans anyway. I actually think a more NA team was a focus for management.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:26 PM
  #91
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
In other words, I think youd only have to worry about honored contracts in the KHL if you werent Russian.

You think they want Ovechkin, Semin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, etc. playing in NA?
Probably not, no. But they have no play here. They are signed to long term deals with NHL teams. They have a transfer agreement with the NHL.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:28 PM
  #92
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Probably not, no. But they have no play here. They are signed to long term deals with NHL teams. They have a transfer agreement with the NHL.

Its tough. I just cant see a way where someone who doesnt want to be here will play here against his will, especially for that long. Russian courts would do everything to get their players home, and the NHL isnt legally binded under the IIHF.

Either way, **** Ovechkin.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
  #93
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Im referring to guaranteed contracts, not rollbacks.
I'm so fed up with both sides. Here is what I hope. They are locked out for 2 years. Sponsors leave, some teams go bankrupt and fold, less jobs available to players and at lower salaries as there is very little revenue coming in. Good day!

bubba5 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:42 PM
  #94
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Its tough. I just cant see a way where someone who doesnt want to be here will play here against his will, especially for that long. Russian courts would do everything to get their players home, and the NHL isnt legally binded under the IIHF.

Either way, **** Ovechkin.
Umm, the NHL is bound under their own agreement with the KHL. The IIHF isn't involved in that.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:47 PM
  #95
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 659
According to Chesnokov, the IIHF can prevent a player from playing in the KHL if they have an NHL contract.

Quote:
In order to play in the KHL, a player must have his IIHF "transfer card" sent to the respective club. Without the card, the player is not eligible to play in the League. This creates problems when, if pressured by the NHL, the IIHF refuses to provide the transfer card.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
  #96
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
According to Chesnokov, the IIHF can prevent a player from playing in the KHL if they have an NHL contract.
are khl players allowed to ditch their contracts to play in the nhl? (if there's not a specific nhl out clause?) do we have any examples?

Kreider Typical is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:55 PM
  #97
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Umm, the NHL is bound under their own agreement with the KHL. The IIHF isn't involved in that.

The KHL is.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 05:58 PM
  #98
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
According to Chesnokov, the IIHF can prevent a player from playing in the KHL if they have an NHL contract.

This isnt just about Ovechkin.

If you have a group of Russian players that prefer to play in the KHL, that league will make it interesting.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 06:11 PM
  #99
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
This isnt just about Ovechkin.
Who suggested it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
If you have a group of Russian players that prefer to play in the KHL, that league will make it interesting.
I see you've made up your mind on this point, and discovered if you vague enough in your arguments, you can't be shown to be wrong.

I'll suggest it's extremely unlikely.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 06:25 PM
  #100
AceintheSpace*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I see you've made up your mind on this point, and discovered if you vague enough in your arguments, you can't be shown to be wrong.

I'll suggest it's extremely unlikely.

I have. I wouldnt put it past the KHL to pull something if theres a significant amount of Russians that want to stay. Thats all im saying, bud.

I know that message boards are all about exerting superior knowledge and you really, really want to/love to prove people wrong on here (ive lurked long enough), but take the hit this time.

AceintheSpace* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.