*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
tourlord*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Thank you....somebody that has watched him for a while other than Knights fans for a few games that have a 'homer' attitude and want him to do well. Wishing for a good goalie and having a good goalie are two different things.
Go ahead and mark it down, we will have a different goalie by January not named Baille. (and save me the story about the kid who stole the memorial cup last year in his overage year.) I too wish that when we acquired Baille he was going to be a suitable replacement.
Please understand, that I am not basing this on his win/loss record right now (otherwise I would be a fan), and am not unhappy with him because he is not named Houser. I do not think his style is good enough to carry a championship team. His rebounds are horrible. (watch the tape and tell me I am wrong). How do you improve that drastically in your final year? You dont. He is slow and at times out of position. I'd be much happier if he was 17 and was a project. He is an overage goalie supposed to lead us all the way. Not good enough.
Also please remember, we have arguably the best defencive corps in the OHL. Teichmann (former 1st round pick for all of you who love to promote that) could probably be doing what Baille is up to this point.
Yeah watched him all year last year and my father and I used to laugh at people wearing Bailie jerseys. We'd be like, uh, kid, have you seen him play? I was shocked when I found out the Knights traded for him. I couldn't believe they made that mistake. I mean he looks good now, but its because of your team. You'll see what I mean.

Last edited by tourlord*: 10-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old
10-12-2012, 11:37 PM
KnightsInsider93

Player By Player Analysis Vs. Plymouth

Max Domi: Great Game again. 1G 1A +1. Last year, Max kind of fell off after his hat trick opener. That seems to not be the case this year. Max did all the work for the Seth Griffith marker, fought through checks and nothing was going to stop Domi on that play.
Seth Griffith: Played great again. 1G 2A +1. Always is in the right spot at the right time.
Alex Broadhurst: Great Player. Hasn't stood out for me so far this season. Liked the overall balance of the team when Broadhurst played with Welychka.
Bo Horvat: Great game again from Bo Horvat. Horvat was a mainstay in front of the Whaler net. He was actually given an unusual amount of room screening in front.
Chris Tierney: Good game from Chris, had a couple weak plays. One that stood out to me was when Chris and Welychka were on the PK. Chris skated it out and tried to dangle around the Whaler D, did not happen and he lost the puck, should have just dumped it in. Great saucer pass to Bo Horvat to set up one of his two goals. Good game.
Josh Anderson: Liked his game as well. Did all the small things right.
Ryan Rupert: Same Ryan Rupert. Referee's all have his number. 6 penalty minutes. Played 3 shifts that were WAY too long at almost 2 minutes per shift.
Matt Rupert: Same Matt Rupert. Effective at blocking shots. Hardest working Knight in my opinion.Played 3 shifts that were WAY too long at almost 2 minutes per shift.
Brett Welychka:Effective penalty killing. If he's going to play on the Rupert line, I believe he is going to have to start throwing his weight around some more. I would still like to see him with Broadhurst in order to increase productivity out of both players. Played 3 shifts that were WAY too long at almost 2 minutes per shift.
Adam Restoule: Great game. Played some time with Horvat and Tierney. Adam seems to have used all of his sniping abilities up in the first game. Kid tried so hard to get a goal against his former whalers. Great game.
Kyle Platzer: Solid game again. Really like this kids play. Forcing turnovers and working to get the puck back. Needs to stay on his feet a little more.
Remi Elie: Best game i've seen him play. Seemed to have his head on straighter. Good Game.

Tyler Ferry: Meh.
Scott Harrington: Solid. There were a couple times where Alex Aleardi was able to dangle around players and Harrington was right there to say "Not gunna happen"
Kevin Raine: Playing with intensity. Just not quite at the "Freight Train Raine" level quite yet. Nonetheless Solid.
Nikita Zadorov: I like. Boomer slap shot that I had never seen before, I mean, It was a Rocket. Always looking to be physical which is unusual to see in imports.
Tommy Hughes: Went under the radar. Didn't do anything spectacular, didn't make mistakes. Solid game.
Oli Maatta: Couple times his pocket was picked but he always worked to get the puck back. Looked a bit uneasy but can't say he did anything wrong.

Kevin Bailie: Wow! If you guys aren't on board what will it take? I spoke to Bill Dark about him. He just smiled and said "He's freaky good." Stopped 42/43. I believe, while he may lack a bit of positioning, his mobility and lateral movement stood out for me. Unbelievable game from Kevin Bailie. Jump on guys!

Old
10-13-2012, 07:27 AM
dino200022

Just a few observations from last nights game.

1. I have been saying all year that Baillie does not have to win us games with the team in front him he just has to not lose them. He has done just that so far this year. Whether you like him or not he has fit the bill so far I was a little skeptical of the pickup initially but he has proved he is a capable OHL tendy in my books right now. Not the greatest rebound control I have ever seen but his intial positioning and his seeing the puck through traffic has impressed me a lot.

2. Adam Restoule is a player. Might make a few bone headed giveaways but he is creating chances using his size. His positioning in all ends of the ice has impressed me and it would be hard to sit him. But then again who do you sit to make room for Nevins?

3. Remi Elie - He has impressed me as well. He could play on any line and fit in. Looking forward to see what he can do moving forward and if any extra icetime is in his cards?

4. I don't know if anyone else notices but as much as I love Griffith as a player and as much as he helps this team succeed his stupid turnovers on the PP are killing PP momentum IMO. On a side note it was nice to see an actual PP plan out there from both units. They moved the puck fairly well and had a plan and it seemed to work.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:30 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsInsider93 View Post
Seth Griffith: Played great again. 1G 2A +1. Always is in the right spot at the right time.
[Tyler Ferry: Meh.
Nikita Zadorov: I like. Boomer slap shot that I had never seen before, I mean, It was a Rocket. Always looking to be physical which is unusual to see in imports.
Oli Maatta: Couple times his pocket was picked but he always worked to get the puck back. Looked a bit uneasy but can't say he did anything wrong.

Kevin Bailie: Wow! If you guys aren't on board what will it take? I spoke to Bill Dark about him. He just smiled and said "He's freaky good." Stopped 42/43. I believe, while he may lack a bit of positioning, his mobility and lateral movement stood out for me. Unbelievable game from Kevin Bailie. Jump on guys!

I'm not on the Bailie bandwagon and never will be but he has been solid... seems like every post your trying to be the salesmen and convince everyone else... I'm not concerned about him now it's the playoffs and if he's still around that concern me.

Griffith may have had a goal and a couple of helpers but the guy was flat out lazy last night... no hustle didn't battle for any pucks and is turning the puck over too much.

Ferry treats the puck like a hand grenade with the pin out... taking half a second to see if there is a play with the puck is better then icing it and getting a face off in your own end.

Maatta to me is struggling right now... not involved physically and has been standing around alot of goal mouth scrambles that have lead to goals.

I've been saying Zadorov needs to be used more on the PP with that shot... but it's Dale so Zadorov will see 30 seconds a game.

Something that goes unnoticed by most is Kevin Raine's first pass... I really haven't seen him miss one to date and usually the forwards have no problems controlling it and it's usually a smart pass.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:47 AM
dino200022

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post

Griffith may have had a goal and a couple of helpers but the guy was flat out lazy last night... no hustle didn't battle for any pucks and is turning the puck over too much.

Ferry treats the puck like a hand grenade with the pin out... taking half a second to see if there is a play with the puck is better then icing it and getting a face off in your own end.

Maatta to me is struggling right now... not involved physically and has been standing around alot of goal mouth scrambles that have lead to goals.

Something that goes unnoticed by most is Kevin Raine's first pass... I really haven't seen him miss one to date and usually the forwards have no problems controlling it and it's usually a smart pass.
Griffith - CHECK....as i stated in mu above post

Ferry - CHECK, always been the worst part of his game I cant stand him just turning and firing the puck every time he touches it!

Maatta - CHECK, even a struggling Maatta is a solid OHL defender though which is a good thing.

Raine - CHECK. I think if Raine could learn to tame his temptations for being hit and puck hungry and developed his positioning game he would be seeing those top 4 Mins over ferry.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:12 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post
Griffith - CHECK....as i stated in mu above post

Ferry - CHECK, always been the worst part of his game I cant stand him just turning and firing the puck every time he touches it!

Maatta - CHECK, even a struggling Maatta is a solid OHL defender though which is a good thing.

Raine - CHECK. I think if Raine could learn to tame his temptations for being hit and puck hungry and developed his positioning game he would be seeing those top 4 Mins over ferry.
Didn't notice you post after mine lol

I've got this feeling that Griffith could go the way of Kadri if he continues this play... unfortunately we'll continue to see it because he's on a Dale kids... last year in the Saginaw series when he took that dumb penalty after missing a breakaway then Saginaw scoring on that PP and Mark sending him right back out sent the wrong message to me and Seth but showed what was going on.

Raine still should be getting those minutes... he played those minutes with Harry last year when Tinordi went down and showed me he was more then ready to play.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:50 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post

2. Adam Restoule is a player. Might make a few bone headed giveaways but he is creating chances using his size. His positioning in all ends of the ice has impressed me and it would be hard to sit him. But then again who do you sit to make room for Nevins?
Restoule will have that spot more times than not this year. Nevins hip may keep him out of the lineup longer than was 1st anticipated. Remember when we picked up another kid that people were excited to see his physical play...remember Cody Smith? This could be the same type of scenerio. Smith was a gritty kid..tough as nails...got hurt in exhibition..and only played a couple of games all year.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:34 PM
JSavoire

Killer game by Bo Horvat! He seems to produce no matter where or how he's played. Next game for the Knights will be important to build momentum and climb up in the standings.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Best game from Horvat in a long time! Great to see.
Restoule is playing good, very physical and creating a few scoring chances. I'd be worried if I was Nevins, it may be an injury before he gets fit into the lineup.
Baille, ok he had a really good game but its only one game where he was a total difference maker.
Now here is my problem and it was touched on in a previous post but Griffiths giveaways are just pathetic. In the Kitchener loss it had to be double digits. It is very frustrating. If he wasnt one of Hunters boys and a wicked threat to score he would have been benched imo.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:35 PM
gongshow519

I have been very impressed with bailie so far. He has been very strong and what I like most about him is consisten,y, every night he has gave us a chance to win. I hope he continues his strong play!

Old
10-13-2012, 09:37 PM
sbrug

Haha, why are we complaining about Griffith now? It's his 4th year here and if you all haven't noticed, he's played like this since he stepped foot in the O. He is deadly offensively but turns the puck over the most because he holds onto it too long. He is what he is. Every good team has 1 or 2 forwards who are there to rack up points, not be Austin Watson every shift.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM
sbrug

On a positive note, did the powerplay just wake up after 5 years? That would be the first game where I watched a Dale Hunter coached Knights team consistently take shots from the point with a big forward (Horvat) screening the goalie. Horvat is the perfect player to put in front of the net with his strength and awesome hands. It was also good to see fast puck movement, players moving and Zadorov see time on the point for a little bit. Zadorov is not afraid to shoot and seems to have a knack for getting the puck on net through traffic. As far as defencemen go, I think Harrington and Zadorov are better point options on the powerplay than Maatta. We saw Olli shooting in the playoffs and he was incredible but he seems to have reverted back to his old ways.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:49 AM
JL17

Quote:
Best game from Horvat in a long time! Great to see.
Restoule is playing good, very physical and creating a few scoring chances. I'd be worried if I was Nevins, it may be an injury before he gets fit into the lineup.
Baille, ok he had a really good game but its only one game where he was a total difference maker.
Now here is my problem and it was touched on in a previous post but Griffiths giveaways are just pathetic. In the Kitchener loss it had to be double digits. It is very frustrating. If he wasnt one of Hunters boys and a wicked threat to score he would have been benched imo.
Griffiths effort Friday night was summed up in the second period on the PP... when he walked in from the point like he did in the first game of the year looking to pick the short side top corner just kept faking the shot(4 times) and then had it poked away instead of hustling back he just stood there considering there was 1 man back.

That's what I hate about being a "Hunter Boy" .... benching them really isn't an option... when it really should be... I did notice how ever Griffith only was on the ice on the PK when they were down 2 men.

Things like this is why Kadri isn't in the NHL yet.... let thing go here that wouldn't get past a AHL or NHL coach. Lesson's learned

Last edited by JL17: 10-14-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old
10-14-2012, 08:02 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Nevins injury is what has Restoule in the lineup on a regular basis right now. Nevins could be out quite a bit this season. Hip flexors don't just "go away"....weird injury too(I'm speaking from experience)...you can go a week or 2 and it will feel 100%..then just move the wrong way in practice and be out for 2 months....it comes and goes. Too bad too because I feel Nevins could have really added a lot to this already solid lineup.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
Haha, why are we complaining about Griffith now? It's his 4th year here and if you all haven't noticed, he's played like this since he stepped foot in the O. He is deadly offensively but turns the puck over the most because he holds onto it too long. He is what he is. Every good team has 1 or 2 forwards who are there to rack up points,
not be Austin Watson every shift.
No way. Ive missed maybe 15home games in the past 10 years and only 4 in the last 4 years and Griffith has never given the puck away like this. He certainly didnt do this as a rookie otherwise he would have never made it past a first look. (although his stats with St Thomas were sick). It is over confidence trying to do too much. He just needs to make better decisions, but it is frustrating and certianly worse now than ever before, hence the complaint. He will be fine im sure and if thats all there is to complain about we are doing ok.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:34 AM
JL17

Quote:
No way. Ive missed maybe 15home games in the past 10 years and only 4 in the last 4 years and Griffith has never given the puck away like this. He certainly didnt do this as a rookie otherwise he would have never made it past a first look. (although his stats with St Thomas were sick). It is over confidence trying to do too much. He just needs to make better decisions, but it is frustrating and certianly worse now than ever before, hence the complaint. He will be fine im sure and if thats all there is to complain about we are doing ok.
Agreed... he was fine last year and the year before that. He's played 2 1/4 years in this league and has been a responsible player. So far this year that reponsibility with the puck is out the window it seems.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:44 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Griffith played Jr B for St Mary's..not St Thomas.

Griff just needs to get open and let the others rag the puck(Domi and Broadhurst). Get open stay invisible in doing so...and snipe away. Like he did on Friday to score.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:47 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post

Giff just needs to get open and let the others rag the puck(Domi and Broadhurst). Get open stay invisible in doing so...and snipe away.
It's Sunday he got one of the Saints in the there...

Old
10-14-2012, 09:25 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post

Griff just needs to get open and let the others rag the puck(Domi and Broadhurst). Get open stay invisible in doing so...and snipe away. Like he did on Friday to score.
Exactly

Old
10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
sportnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Exactly
Watched the game tonight. Nice that some of the boys are racking up points, but when at the end of a game, you have 2-3 points and you are minus 2-3... not good. Not how you win in this league. They have to be more responsible defensively, no doubt.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
It's Sunday he got one of the Saints in the there...
LOL, ya whoops. Wrong Saint. Agreed, he will be ok and his goal scoring is where its at!

Old
10-15-2012, 09:54 AM
dino200022

Oshawa was just the better club last night, I was impressed with there forward crop very physical and quick as well.

Old
10-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Anyone know the odds of getting 3 tickets just at the JLC on the day of the game? Looking to go tonight last minute.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Hey fellas, I see NHLN is carrying this Knights/Otters game today.

Never seen an OHL game before, but I will be watching this. Who should I keep an eye on for both teams?

Old
10-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Never seen an OHL game before, but I will be watching this. Who should I keep an eye on for both teams?
Knights: Domi, Zadorov and Horvat. 3 likely 1st rounds pick in the 2013 draft. Seth Griffith, Scott Harrington and Olli Maatta are solid veterans drafted by NHL teams.

Erie: Connor McDavid is obvious, the hype is already crazy for this 15 year old. Also Oscar Dansk, 31st overall in 2012 draft.

Closed Thread