HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future appears bright for Montreal Canadiens

Old
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Future appears bright for Montreal Canadiens

Using the 2012 NHL Draft, the Montreal Canadiens' greatly improved their organizational prospect pool over the past off-season. GM Marc Bergevin has changed the organizational philosophy by adding a bigger management staff, more scouting, and a development team to work with the prospects at all hockey levels and leagues.

The Canadiens have cast a wide net looking for talent, claiming prospects from the USHL, NCAA, the three leagues in the CHL, and all over Europe. The future is bright for the Montreal Canadiens but it could take a few years to see any concrete results at the NHL level.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:03 PM
tinyzombies

We still need top 6 guys with size who can win playoff puck battles. Hopefully Galchenyuk can be one of those guys. Pacioretty has size, but I don't see him as a board monster, same with Eller. And we don't have any other young top 6 guys with size AND muscle. Eller has filled out though, so hopefully he will take the next step.

I like the Tinordi pick. He'll probably be a solid #4 one day.

These small wingers we are drafting have me worried.

Bergevin's lack of experience worries me, even though he's held posts throughout the organization. Therrien is a known quantity by now, I'm ok with him. Hopefully he will team up with a tactician, though this team is very limited in what it can do because it is way too small still. Luckily Bergevin seems to notice. Hopefully he'll continue to beef the team up. But seems to me we need a trade or UFA to get a big tough top 6 guy to replace Cole in the next couple years. Tired of watching us get shoved around. I thought we had learned that lessen by now...

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
GordonGraham

On paper the future always look bright

A few years ago it was chipchura, tender, lapierre, sergei, mcdonough

From HF in 2010

The spring 2010 listing of the Canadiens top 20 organization prospects is now up at Hockey's Future. The rankings contain several surprises and good words on Danny Kristo, Cedric Desjardins, Joonas Nattinen and Gabriel Dumont among others

all of those turned out great

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post

From HF in 2010

The spring 2010 listing of the Canadiens top 20 organization prospects is now up at Hockey's Future. The rankings contain several surprises and good words on Danny Kristo, Cedric Desjardins, Joonas Nattinen and Gabriel Dumont among others

Kristo was the only one highly sought after.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 05:38 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

From HF in 2010

Alex Galchenyuk might be our best prospect since Guy Lafleur. We also had two second rounders last year, and another three second rounders this year.

We tanked in the second half of 2011-2012. Management traded away Mike Cammalleri, Hal Gill, and Andrei Kostitsyn for futures, rather than scramble for 8th place. We've made the type of investment in the future that we have not in a while.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Habs need a Tyler Biggs, Tom Wilson type prospect.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Habs need a Tyler Biggs, Tom Wilson type prospect.
Hopefully we can get one without wasting a draft pick around where Biggs and Wilson were drafted.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:02 AM
bleuetbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Hopefully we can get one without wasting a draft pick around where Biggs and Wilson were drafted.

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:07 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Alex Galchenyuk might be our best prospect since Guy Lafleur. We also had two second rounders last year, and another three second rounders this year.

We tanked in the second half of 2011-2012. Management traded away Mike Cammalleri, Hal Gill, and Andrei Kostitsyn for futures, rather than scramble for 8th place. We've made the type of investment in the future that we have not in a while.
I agree, we have now started winning (or atleast drawing even) in trades which is not something we had with gainey.

I think the future is bright if we get the right coach. If we get a top 10 pick this year we are set, no doubt in my mind. We need one more elite piece like a Drouin/Barkov.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Et le But

We still need a bit more "high end" talent especially up front and we definitely need more size on the wings but it's coming together. In a few years depending on how everyone is developing some big decisions might need to be made but right now I think the key is patience, not to tank (though I wouldn't be against it if we have half a season this year..) but not to panic either, because there's a couple of interesting wildcards who should be graduating to the AHL sooner rather than later.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:13 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I agree, we have now started winning (or atleast drawing even) in trades which is not something we had with gainey.

I think the future is bright if we get the right coach. If we get a top 10 pick this year we are set, no doubt in my mind. We need one more elite piece like a Drouin/Barkov.
I agree with your analysis completely. It is a main part of why I hope the lockout is resolved. With a lockout we draft at approximately 20th, with a half-season we draft at around 5th. We'd basically be adding a second Galchenyuk to our system, more or less.

Pierre Gauthier managed the debacle. Props.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:22 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Quote:
That would help a lot, but the problem is, I don't see either of them ever being top 6 guys...

An option in the 2013 draft is picking one of Adam Erne or Hudson Fasching. Both are big bodied, powerful forwards with high upside as future top 6 power forwards, reminding me a bit of Pacioretty...

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:35 AM
zzoo

Quote:

From HF in 2010

Agreed. Few years ago, I was so excited that we had Perezoghin, Higgins, Sergei K, Grabovski, Latendresse, Chipchura, O'Byrne and so on. I thought we will be very good for long time. Oh boy ...

It's always like this, most (not all) Habs fan over-estimate the prospects.

In my opinion, only Galchenyuk will become a top 6 forward, but he won't be a superstar though. Leblanc may have a shot. All the rest (Holland, Gallagher, Dumont, Nattinen, Bournival, etc.) will be probably a marginal 2nd liner, or 3rd liner caliber.

Sometimes, reality hurts.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:44 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Agreed. Few years ago, I was so excited that we had Perezoghin, Higgins, Sergei K, Grabovski, Latendresse, Chipchura, O'Byrne and so on. I thought we will be very good for long time. Oh boy ...

In my opinion, only Galchenyuk will become a top 6 forward, but he won't be a superstar though. Leblanc may have a shot. All the rest (Holland, Gallagher, Dumont, Nattinen, Bournival, etc.) will be probably a marginal 2nd liner, or 3rd liner caliber.

I think you're underrating the prospects a bit there. Galchenyuk could definitely be a superstar though obviously it's not guaranteed. Leblanc, Gallagher, Collberg all have pretty good shots at being top-6 forwards and guys like Holland, Bournival, Kristo, Hudon could make it into the top-6 as well.

I think our scouting has gotten a lot better than it was in those days and we have a good shot of getting some good NHLers out of our prospects.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

With Bergevin, Dudley, Timmins and all those guys working on development team (been years since we had one, good thing Molson wants to win, not only make money), I'm more inclined to think our future is actually bright than in the past, where youngsters had to fend for themselves, for the most part. Imagine Hainsey, Komisarek and Higgins with guys like Lapointe and Brisebois, I think it could have been different. 'Could have' is important here.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:15 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:

From HF in 2010

Appart from Chipchura it's still looking good today.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

After 17 years of talking about the Montreal Canadiens online I know there to be 3 truths:

1) The future always looks brighter than the present
2) Potential trumps all reality, this years prospects are better than last years prospects who are better than the prospects of the years before.
3) The Stanley Cup formula is always believed to be Stanley_Cup = Current_Situation + Time

The truth is much different. There is nothing special about the current prospect crop (even Galchenyuk is a risk), and the team is several good management moves away from being competitive.

This team is a fixer-upper and it's going to take time and some brilliant management to get to the big prize.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:52 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I think you're underrating the prospects a bit there. Galchenyuk could definitely be a superstar though obviously it's not guaranteed. Leblanc, Gallagher, Collberg all have pretty good shots at being top-6 forwards and guys like Holland, Bournival, Kristo, Hudon could make it into the top-6 as well.

I think our scouting has gotten a lot better than it was in those days and we have a good shot of getting some good NHLers out of our prospects.
I read somewhere that Galchenyuk is a playmaker with size. DOes he play center?

Last edited by tinyzombies: 10-20-2012 at 01:10 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I read somewhere that Galchenyuk is a playmaker with size. DOes he play center?
He's a natural centre, Beaulieu has been starting him at LW though for some reason.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:37 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
He's a natural centre, Beaulieu has been starting him at LW though for some reason.
Last night was the first time in a while. He's started 4 or 5 out of 11 games as a LW I'm pretty sure. One of the games he finished playing centre.

He's doing it because Boucher and Sarault don't have a legitimate offensive threat on the their left wing, and Galchenyuk doesn't usually have a legitimate offensive threat on either of his wings. So he's putting all his "eggs in one basket" so to speak.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:15 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Last night was the first time in a while. He's started 4 or 5 out of 11 games as a LW I'm pretty sure. One of the games he finished playing centre.

He's doing it because Boucher and Sarault don't have a legitimate offensive threat on the their left wing, and Galchenyuk doesn't usually have a legitimate offensive threat on either of his wings. So he's putting all his "eggs in one basket" so to speak.
Goldobin and Hottot centred by Gally is usually a threat....

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Anyone close to them now is a high pick just because of that.

Players like that will always be in high demand.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Andros777

Those goalies.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Anyone close to them now is a high pick just because of that.

Players like that will always be in high demand.
As can be witnessed by Redline's ranking of Tyler Hill at 6th overall.Talk about blowing smoke out of their butts.Hill at best will be an early 2nd IMHO.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:09 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post

Perezhogin is one of the top-10 scorers in the KHL a lot of years.

Higgins is a 2nd liner on one of the best teams in the league, the Vancouver Canucks.

Sergei K is a 2nd liner on one of the better teams in the league.

Grabovski we traded for valuable assets, 1 season of Robert Lang and good defense prospect Gregory Pateryn.

Latendresse' career was derailed by injuries.

Chipchura is an effective 4th line center on a team much better than the Habs.

O'Byrne is an effective shutdown dman, a 4th dman, on a better team than the Habs.

Overall, it's not our prospects that were bad, it's our asset management. The only well-managed asset in the above list is Mikhail Grabovski.