Old
10-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I'm starting to doubt Etem's ability to be a good NHL player. This isn't junior hockey anymore. He can't just push guys around, and then blow by them with his speed.
We're only a couple of games in. It's a bit early to expect him to adapt so quickly. Sometimes players need to learn the hard way that it won't be as easy. He's a talented kid. I think I'll be fine, once he starts figuring out different ways to score. He won't be the first player to go through this.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:01 PM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
He hasn't even played 10 games of professional hockey. Slow your roll.
It's safe to say that the "trade Palmieri because we have Etem" thing should be put to rest until he can show he can play.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:03 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
It's safe to say that the "trade Palmieri because we have Etem" thing should be put to rest until he can show he can play.
It would've been a bad idea regardless.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I wonder if that guy from Anaheim Calling still wants us to trade Palmieri to make room for Etem.
What a joke that was. Occupy probably won't be too happy either, because he seemed to feel Etem would have no difficulty. I think, for most of us, this is about what we expected. Some trouble at first, but he'll learn.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
It would've been a bad idea regardless.
That it would. Palmieri is going to be a good player himself. I swear, the kid is Perry-lite.

Edit: And the more I see Lindholm, the more I like him. He's in the exact same situation that Vatanen is, three years younger, and he's really looking pretty good in the AHL.

Old
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
What a joke that was. Occupy probably won't be too happy either, because he seemed to feel Etem would have no difficulty. I think, for most of us, this is about what we expected. Some trouble at first, but he'll learn.
Yeah, if he's still like this next season, I'll worry.

Old
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
That it would. Palmieri is going to be a good player himself. I swear, the kid is Perry-lite.
Agreed. Their playing styles are so similar. Though Palmieri isn't as much of a pest.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:06 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
I'm starting to doubt Etem's ability to be a good NHL player. This isn't junior hockey anymore. He can't just push guys around, and then blow by them with his speed.
really? he's playing on lower lines and is only in his 3rd game of the season, tough crowd on HF as usual

Old
10-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Exit Dose

I swear, Lindholm just looks better and better the more I see him.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:09 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
false, i never expected him to come into the NHL and dominate right away

Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
false, i never expected him to come into the NHL and dominate right away
Could have fooled me.

Old
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
really? he's playing on lower lines and is only in his 3rd game of the season, tough crowd on HF as usual
McMillan is playing on lower lines and I've noticed him more. I've noticed Bodie more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I swear, Lindholm just looks better and better the more I see him.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Playing on lower lines really isn't an excuse for Etem. Talent shines through. Bobby Ryan started his NHL career on the 4th line, with George Parros. At any rate, it will come in time with Etem. It's just obvious that those expecting him to step into the NHL seamlessly were, well, being a tad unrealistic.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Playing on lower lines really isn't an excuse for Etem. Talent shines through. Bobby Ryan started his NHL career on the 4th line, with George Parros. At any rate, it will come in time with Etem. It's just obvious that those expecting him to step into the NHL seamlessly were, well, being a tad unrealistic.
Is Etem even getting any PP time? I take issue with those that lazily say he lacks hockey IQ which is ridiculous, he needs to get stronger he'll be fine once he does because he has the work ethic

Old
10-19-2012, 09:18 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
Is Etem even getting any PP time? I take issue with those that lazily say he lacks hockey IQ which is ridiculous, he needs to get stronger he'll be fine once he does because he has the work ethic
His 5 on 5 play is an indicator that he doesn't deserve the powerplay time. Any ice time he gets, he's invisible for the most part.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
With respect, it would be Etem's own fault whether or not he's getting PP time. Look at Lindholm. The coaches are already increasing his ice time. You know why? He's earning it. You're making a lot of excuses for Etem, but this falls on him and no one else. Don't get me wrong. I have faith he'll be a good player, but it was clear he was going to need to make adjustments in the professional game. His current play is just another example of this.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:23 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Stream still not working.

I could be...okay I am...watching the next Sidney Crosby right now. But I'm waiting on this damn stream to get flowing.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Yes he is. He also started the game on a line with Holland and Palmieri.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
With respect, it would be Etem's own fault whether or not he's getting PP time. Look at Lindholm. The coaches are already increasing his ice time. You know why? He's earning it. You're making a lot of excuses for Etem, but this falls on him and no one else. Don't get me wrong. I have faith he'll be a good player, but it was clear he was going to need to make adjustments in the professional game. His current play is just another example of this.
He's not exactly in a Bobby Ryan situation, either.

Anyway, even the Ads head coach said so - Etem will need some time. And there's nothing wrong with that. It was expected. And with guys that need some time, there will always be some question marks as to whether that time does what everyone hope it will. It's no knock on Etem, it's pure reality.

I don't think it's strength he needs most, either, as that's exactly what his work ethic can take care off most easily and probably already has. It just takes time and he's certainly not done overcoming obstacles to make it where we all hope he'll arrive someday.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:28 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Etem is more raw than most of these players when he gains the strength he needs he'll be fine, until then rushing to judgement based on 3 games when he's adjusting to a new league is not something i'm going to do

Old
10-19-2012, 09:29 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
Etem is more raw than most of these players when he gains the strength he needs he'll be fine, until then rushing to judgement based on 3 games when he's adjusting to a new league is not something i'm going to do
The only judgement anyone rushed to is he isn't ready for the NHL...well except maybe AngelDuck who's judgement was a tad bit extreme.

And he isn't ready. He can't even be an on ice force in the NHL yet. We never said he won't be a star, he just isn't there yet.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
He's not exactly in a Bobby Ryan situation, either.

Anyway, even the Ads head coach said so - Etem will need some time. And there's nothing wrong with that. It was expected. And with guys that need some time, there will always be some question marks as to whether that time does what everyone hope it will. It's no knock on Etem, it's pure reality.

I don't think it's strength he needs most, either, as that's exactly what his work ethic can take care off most easily and probably already has. It just takes time and he's certainly not done overcoming obstacles to make it where we all hope he'll arrive someday.
I don't think it's strength-related either. To me, it looks like Etem is playing a Junior game in a Professional league. He'll never be able to overpower players to the degree he did in the CHL, and it's unrealistic to expect him to. Gaining strength to try to do that just delays the change that's needed... which is that he needs to start learning to play professional hockey, and that is going to ask him to score in different ways, as well as play a game that is more than just scoring goals.

I agree that it's just simple reality. I just don't think everyone saw it the same way. In my opinion, some people basically saw him playing the same game at the NHL level... but who was the last player who successfully could do that? Bure?

Old
10-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Hawktopus

This is the same Etem that scored 3 goals in his first 6 games correct?

Bobby Ryan was a big guy, Etem is a fast guy there are going to be playing differences.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
How is strength the answer to this?

Old
10-19-2012, 09:39 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

10 minutes in and this GD stream STILL isn't working.

Closed Thread