HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
10-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Faryn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
What he did was questionable (thankful since hes on the Oilers)

But I do think its major irony that Pronger signed a 5 year deal with us and was set to be our franchise D-men, then shockingly demanded a trade (greasy move) and landed with the Ducks only to help them win a cup that year.

Then a promising prospects from the ducks ditches and lands... with the Oilers

But Schultz has looked lights out in the AHL, living up to the hype
The second round pick the ducks used to pick Schultz was also the pick that was sent to the ducks, by the Oilers, as compensation in the Dustin Penner offer sheet signing.

I think thats a little more ironic then the whole Pronger fiasco.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Dabomb

I watched alot of his college highlights and noticed that he scored so many goals using his wrist shot. Made me wonder if that wrister was gonna work in the pro's. Now he's having the same success with that wrist shot in the AHL and hopefully that continues into the NHL as well.

Totally love how he jumps into the play. Seems to be building good chemistry with Ebs and RNH already. Can't wait to see him with the Oilers.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:23 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Not even remotely the same.
exactly, Pronger had a contract, Schultz didn't.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:29 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Is he adjusting well to the pro game ?

From what I've heard Oaklaholma has been underwelhming.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:35 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post

They're 2-1 after 3 games, and Schultz has over a PPG, so he adjusting very well to the pro game.

OKC has been good, not great, mostly because there are very high expectations since they were a great team last year and have some NHL additions.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:38 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
They're 2-1 after 3 games, and Schultz has over a PPG, so he adjusting very well to the pro game.

OKC has been good, not great, mostly because there are very high expectations since they were a great team last year and have some NHL additions.
Would you say that they're overhyped ? Or need time to gel ?

Old
10-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:

Obviously he has been. OKC's "star" players (RNH, Eberle, PRV, ect) havent really showed up yet. Once they all get firing on all cylinders they will be a powerhouse team.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:42 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Obviously he has been. OKC's "star" players (RNH, Eberle, PRV, ect) havent really showed up yet. Once they all get firing on all cylinders they will be a powerhouse team.
Do you think that it's a lack of effort ?

Old
10-19-2012, 11:44 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
Do you think that it's a lack of effort ?
seem rusty, for some reason. lots of near misses.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:58 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Well, Eberle and RNH are playing together and did a lot last year, so don't really need time to gel.

Just a bit rusty, neither of them played a preseason game, and last weekend they were pretty average.

They dominated tonight and had a lot of chances, and finally got on the scoresheet, so I would expect them to continue to dominate going forward.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:00 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

In this situation I hate to do the "I told you so," but this kid is proving the doubters wrong. It's still very early but I'm just as confident as I was when I said he is as good of a prospect than any defenseman in 2012.

I got over Gillis' extremely lacklustre attempt and fail at getting this kid but it's coming back now.

This is why Edmonton brought out the big boys to meet him, and it paid off despite being mocked for it.

Edit: Gotta give Ducks fans credit, they've been saying for quite awhile how good he is and watching him dominate in the WCHA proved that, it's still funny how little people knew of him before the media storm

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:01 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Sounds like this team will start their walktrough soon.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Time to gel IMO. Tonight we saw some flashes of dominance and won 5-2. Tomorrow we play Lake Erie again (the team that we played our first 2 games against) so it'll be interesting to see if we can solve Lake Erie's D and goaltending as they have only given up 4 goals in 3 games this year.

10-20-2012, 12:05 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Well Calvin Pickard is a dam good goalie.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
In this situation I hate to do the "I told you so," but this kid is proving the doubters wrong. It's still very early but I'm just as confident as I was when I said he is as good of a prospect than any defenseman in 2012.

I got over Gillis' extremely lacklustre attempt and fail at getting this kid but it's coming back now.

This is why Edmonton brought out the big boys to meet him, and it paid off despite being mocked for it.

Edit: Gotta give Ducks fans credit, they've been saying for quite awhile how good he is and watching him dominate in the WCHA proved that, it's still funny how little people knew of him before the media storm
Yup, Ducks fans were right, I honestly feel bad for them, but the joy that I have that he's in our system drowns that out pretty quickly. I forgot where I posted it, but I said that Anaheim's scouts are exceptional when it comes to drafting D, those guys are great IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Well Calvin Pickard is a dam good goalie.
That he is, as is their Finn goalie.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:08 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

It still pisses me off that we didn't get him, from all reports Gillis didn't make much of an effort at all (compared to Edmonton), and I would actually say that will be one of his bigger mistakes in his tenure here

Schultz and Garrison on July would have been fantastic

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:24 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
It still pisses me off that we didn't get him, from all reports Gillis didn't make much of an effort at all (compared to Edmonton), and I would actually say that will be one of his bigger mistakes in his tenure here

How so? The Canucks personally went to visit him in Toronto. Canucks never do that sort of stuff so I'd say they did go out of their way for him. He wanted more playing time and he chose the Oilers. There's nothing more the Canucks could have done.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yup, Ducks fans were right, I honestly feel bad for them, but the joy that I have that he's in our system drowns that out pretty quickly. I forgot where I posted it, but I said that Anaheim's scouts are exceptional when it comes to drafting D, those guys are great IMO.
Well, Lindholm and Vatanen are doing a good job of distracting us from the loss of Schultz. It also helps that we had Sbisa and Fowler on the team too. Anaheim might be one of the few teams that could lose a prospect like Schultz without it setting them back too much. It still sucks, but that's life.

We're pretty stoked with our scouting of late. Not just defensemen either, though they definitely stand out the most for us.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:29 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
^ Beat me to it. Swear to god I didn't even read your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Just like we were right about Jake Gardiner

Our rage is being mitigated by the stellar play of Vatanen and Lindholm. We add Sbisa and Fowler to that pair and it doesn't seem like the end of the world that he left.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:48 AM
smitty10

It sucks because Anaheim traded Gardiner in that deal with Lupul for Beauchemin because they thought they could afford to trade a top D prospect for a veteran top 4 guy because they had Schultz who was up-and-coming.

Now he's with Edmonton and I can understand their frustration with that, but he's a damn good player and Oilers fans have every right to be pumped. Sucks for Ducks fans, but you guys still have Vatanen and Lindholm to go along with Sbisa and Fowler. I think most teams would kill for defensive prospects like them.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
^ Beat me to it. Swear to god I didn't even read your post.

Just like we were right about Jake Gardiner

Our rage is being mitigated by the stellar play of Vatanen and Lindholm. We add Sbisa and Fowler to that pair and it doesn't seem like the end of the world that he left.
That's awesome. So glad Vatanen is working out. Still amazed at these beauties, albeit 2 years ago:

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:52 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Don't want to hijack this thread. You guys really lucked out. I said all year that Edmonton should draft a blue chip D, but you guys didn't have to. You got your forward and your defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
It sucks because Anaheim traded Gardiner in that deal with Lupul for Beauchemin because they thought they could afford to trade a top D prospect for a veteran top 4 guy because they had Schultz who was up-and-coming.

Now he's with Edmonton and I can understand their frustration with that, but he's a damn good player and Oilers fans have every right to be pumped. Sucks for Ducks fans, but you guys still have Vatanen and Lindholm to go along with Sbisa and Fowler. I think most teams would kill for defensive prospects like them.
Yeah. I think most of the reason why I always seem to favor forwards in the draft (and that won't change this year of all years) is because we always seem to have a great defender or tandem of defenders in the system. Fowler, Lindholm, Schultz, Gardiner, Vatanen, Clark, Welinski is a pretty good group.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Kershaw

Quote:

At least your team signed a defender.

Rangers still have Stu Bickel and Matt Gilroy as key options on the bottom pair. Schultz would've been THE perfect fit to the Rangers defense. We haven't had a RH star caliber PMD since Zubov and Schultz would slide in perfectly alongside Staal.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Parise9Crosby87

good pick up oilers

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote