HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 07:33 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Hockey is about winning; Plain & Simple. You know why the playoffs are so entertaining? Its because its a war on ice where you try to beat other teams to the ground on the score board & physically. If you want respect in sports I don't think hockey is a game you should be watching. It never has been about respect & never will be.

*Had* & every Franchise has had players who have shown lack of respect, quit trying to act like the Canucks are some abnormality & are this evil Franchise!
Wow. Ill stop with this thread now. Posts like this make you wonder about people. I have no problem with big physical hits. I have a problem with dirty hits where the sole intention is to injure someone.

I hope one day you realize that you can be competive and not lay dirty hits at the same time. Respect is a huge part of the game. They should take out the instigating rule so enforcers can teach this punk young players like this a thing or to about respect

Were you ok with the Keith hit on Sedin? just physicality, players getting for playoffs and Keith just wanted to win

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Were you ok with the Keith hit on Sedin? just physicality, players getting for playoffs and Keith just wanted to win
Was their any resemblance of respect in that instance? Isn't that situation kind of proving my point that there isn't respect in the game?

Did it even resemble a hockey play?

This isn't about if I wish there was respect its about if there is & there isn't.

Anyway don't see why this is important or relevant in the AHL prospect discussion thread.

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 10-15-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Was their any resemblance of respect in that instance? Isn't that situation kind of proving my point that there isn't respect in the game?

Did it even resemble a hockey play?

Anyway don't see why this is important or relevant in the AHL prospect discussion thread.
Haha exactly, that was a dirty hit and has no place in the game. You have a problem with that hit but not this one? you said yourself respect has no place in the game, if you lived by what you said then youd be ok with the Keith hit because your ok with dirty hits. I think respect should have a place, so these kind of plays should be taken out. Your ok with the lack of respect

Double Standard?

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It should IMO. It reminds me a lot of the Torres hit on Hoses. He could have easily made a clean hit, but he instead tried to take the guys head off
Reminds me more of the Torres hit on Seabrook. He does keep his elbow tucked but he left his feet, Torres didn't. I think he would get suspended for it but it is in the zone the league has trouble calling stuff on. When you skate behind your net with your head down like that, the guy coming from the other side has a hard time lining up the hit. That was part of what they essentially said eventually led them to not throw the book as Torres for the Seabrook hit.

Now in NHL circles is that a dirty hit? You bet it is. The other players I am sure didn't think it was on the level and he explodes upward. He is very much taking advantage of a player.

For those as I have seen above that love pointing out Kronwall, he hasn't hit like this since rule 48.1 came in. He almost always uses his backside now and at 5'11" 190 lbs when he hits bigger guys it knocks him off the ice. Even if he leaves it a split second before like the Kesler hit he plants his backside into the guys stomach and doesn't target the head. He has made this adjustment. That or he gets solid straight down the middle body on body contact (see the Voracek hit) making it legal. For a guy that has played for a decade now, it is interesting how often his name is run through the mud on this. He has NEVER been suspended. The league constantly says how he plays is legal. Now if you want him to fight that is a different story, but the hits themselves aren't really debatable.

The Kesler hit was one of the few times I thought he should answer. He did leave his feet and the player himself came calling. But to send a Zack Renaldo his way is just stupid if the other team thinks that is going to happen on a legal play. He is a top 4 D-man and has zero fights, if he is going off for five minutes it better be the player he layed out and somebody worth sitting with.

For the record I don't like the hit I saw. I don't think it was the worst hit ever, but it was absolutely boarderline to dirty. That is the kind of player Kassian is going to be and really always has been, so we should all get used to it.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 10-15-2012 at 08:00 PM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:55 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Haha exactly, that was a dirty hit and has no place in the game. You have a problem with that hit but not this one? you said yourself respect has no place in the game, if you lived by what you said then youd be ok with the Keith hit because your ok with dirty hits. I think respect should have a place, so these kind of plays should be taken out. Your ok with the lack of respect

Double Standard?
Excellent post. People seem to be ok with these hits right up until it happens to someone on their team

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

Double Standard?
You right the Keith hit was dirty & had no place in the game but what you're not understanding is that Keith's elbow was nowhere near a hockey play! It was a clear attempt to injure a player for an earlier hit. Meanwhile Kassian's was in the parameters of the game of hockey. Lets not forget puck possession too!

When did I say I was ok with dirty hits? Because I said there is no respect in the game? You shouldn't put words in other posters mouths.

Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Tatars looked pretty good for Grand Rapids but the guy to really watch as a sleeper type this season is Landon Ferraro.

He came on at the end of last year and this year looks much improved. The Helm similarities are growing on me, he can flat out fly, hits, and is great on the PK. Hes playing the point on the griffs PP too and it seems hes reclaiming some of that scoring touch that got him taken so high in the draft. I thought he was reaching bust status but since he turned pro hes changed my tune. His short handed assist last game was a thing of beauty. Max Nicastro was much more imposing out there then I thought he would be but I havent got a good read on his skill set yet

Austin Watson didnt do much for me, but first year pros never usually do.
Agree, Ferraro has taken huge steps. He also is a very versatile player, will help a team anyway he can. It has been nice to see his development as a pro and now that he is finally healthy he has taken off. The confidence seems to grow each game and I never expected him to be this physical. He has a great future as long as the injuries stay away.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King Of The North
Iggy2014GoBruins

In an attempt to sway the discussion, Baertschi has been awesome. Reinhart will be the next prospect to look out for on the Flames imo

King Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:20 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It should IMO. It reminds me a lot of the Torres hit on Hoses. He could have easily made a clean hit, but he instead tried to take the guys head off
Not even close. Torres was well late, left his feet, and hit to hurt. Kassian's hit, while it was definitely charging (for leaving his feet), was actually a hockey play.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Come on guys who cares about that hit. Don't derail this useful thread.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Come on guys who cares about that hit. Don't derail this useful thread.
How dare we derail the AHL Prospect Discussion Thread with discussion about what a team's prospect did in the AHL!

Old
10-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Wow. Ill stop with this thread now. Posts like this make you wonder about people. I have no problem with big physical hits. I have a problem with dirty hits where the sole intention is to injure someone.

I hope one day you realize that you can be competive and not lay dirty hits at the same time. Respect is a huge part of the game. They should take out the instigating rule so enforcers can teach this punk young players like this a thing or to about respect

Hockey isn't about respect. Everybody calls Messier a playoff leader, yet he's done one of the dirtiest things i've seen in hockeyever - standing above Linden, he then crosschecks his face into the ice, breaking Linden's nose - hence the "illegal curve"
And you want enforcers to show this "punk" Kassian some respect? He's already gone after NHL goons, initiating the scrap... that won't deter him at all.

What team do you cheer for? I can't wait until Kassian plays them.

By the way, no call on the play, and no suspension = clean hit.

Kass Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Kassian hit the player in the shoulder, and his feet were on the ice at the moment of impact (0:47 in), good hit from where I sit. Kassian's feet came up upon impact because the guy that he hit was lower than he was and had more mass at a lower center of gravity.

10-16-2012, 08:17 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Would be so much better if Hishon could get healthy.
So true. Still, it's nice to finally have a real farm team instead of one or two promising prospects and lots of AHL-only players.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:24 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I've only seen him play last Friday but he was scary good in that game. He'll be a player I'll love to hate for a long time.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:32 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Watched the Norfolk Admirals-Connecticut Whale game (Admirals win 5-4 in OT), my thoughts

Whale:
Kreider: completely underwhelmed. Yes he's faster than I remember. And yes he looks physically capable of playing in the NHL, but he didn't wow me at all
Brandon Segal: Looked pretty good out there. Dominated on the score sheet. Looks like he's maybe another year out.
JT Miller: Well, he certainly looks like a first rounder, but he does seem to be a couple years out of being a regular for the Rangers.
Matt Gilroy: Annoyed me. In a good way. Kept guys out of the zone. Had a few goals, a few steals, and a few blocked shots.

Norfolk

Hampus Lindholm: Getting better by the game. Tonight was the first time I was genuinely happy we drafted him. He reminds me a bit of Fowler, but an inverse. While Fowler is stronger on offense than defense, Lindholm is stronger in his own zone than on offense. He was physically dominant (saw him shut down Kreider twice in open ice, and once along the boards). For an 18 year old, he's been fantastic in the AHL.
Sami Vatanen: Still looks like a star out there. 3 assists on the evening. Can be handled physically, though.
Kyle Palmieri: Still looks like a genuine threat to be a good top 6 forward
Corey Elkins: Had a hat trick tonight but he really strikes me as an opportunist. Still a few years out.
Smith Pelly: Had a great second game against Worchester, but I don't think he played as well. Dominated physically, but he mishandled the puck quite a bit.
Igor Bobkov: Too shaky in net. We want Andersen back.
Mat Clark: Looks like a good future #6 defender
Peter Holland: Still needs to add consistency to his game. He's physically at an NHL level, but his head isn't quite there yet.
Emerson Etem: Really needs to get it together. He hardly contributes when he doesn't have the puck and he disappears for long periods of time. Needs to learn to play the professional game. 3 games in, he's been disappointing. Didn't even have so much as a shot on goal tonight.

Last edited by DuckJet: 10-19-2012 at 09:48 PM.
DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Watched the Norfolk Admirals-Connecticut Whale game (Admirals win 5-4 in OT), my thoughts

Whale:
Kreider: completely underwhelmed. Yes he's faster than I remember. And yes he looks physically capable of playing in the NHL, but he didn't wow me at all
Brandon Segal: Looked pretty good out there. Dominated on the score sheet. Looks like he's maybe another year out.
JT Miller: Well, he certainly looks like a first rounder, but he does seem to be a couple years out of being a regular for the Rangers.
Matt Gilroy: Annoyed me. In a good way. Kept guys out of the zone. Had a few goals, a few steals, and a few blocked shots.

Norfolk

Hampus Lindholm: Getting better by the game. Tonight was the first time I was genuinely happy we drafted him. He reminds me a bit of Fowler, but an inverse. While Fowler is stronger on offense than defense, Lindholm is stronger in his own zone than on offense. He was physically dominant (saw him shut down Kreider twice in open ice, and once along the boards). For an 18 year old, he's been fantastic in the AHL.
Sami Vatanen: Still looks like a star out there. 3 assists on the evening. Can be handled physically, though.
Kyle Palmieri: Still looks like a genuine threat to be a good top 6 forward
Corey Elkins: Had a hat trick tonight but he really strikes me as an opportunist. Still a few years out.
Smith Pelly: Had a great second game against Worchester, but I don't think he played as well. Dominated physically, but he mishandled the puck quite a bit.
Igor Bobkov: Too shaky in net. We want Andersen back.
Mat Clark: Looks like a good future #6 defender
Peter Holland: Still needs to add consistency to his game. He's physically at an NHL level, but his head isn't quite there yet.
Emerson Etem: Really needs to get it together. He hardly contributes when he doesn't have the puck and he disappears for long periods of time. Needs to learn to play the professional game. 3 games in, he's been disappointing.
Kreider got game misconduct half way through the game IIRC.

Thanks for analysis, greatly appreciated.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:45 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Kreider got game misconduct half way through the game IIRC.

Thanks for analysis, greatly appreciated.
Lol got caught up in the excitement of the OT win and forgot that happened.

No problem. I try to focus as much attention as I can to the other prospects, but I know Norfolk's so much better.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

AHL Action: Marlies versus Bulldogs.

Prospect Marlies:
Gardiner once again in my opinion was the best player on the ice. He ended getting the only goal for the marlies against Mayer who seemed like a god in net.
Kadri was by far our best forward again tonight, but did make some errors in the offensive zone but it might be due to the frustration that our entire team was facing on not scoring a goal.
Blacker seems to have gotten more responsibility under Eakins this time around. He's been on the powerplay and penalty kill, and has shown good chances for the Marlies. I hope his buffer time is over after last year with all the injuries and he starts to rack up some points with the added responsibility.
Mckegg was silent and wasn't that active as I wanted him but then again the entire Marlies team was shut down by Mayer.
D'amigo tried to spark the team but failed he was pretty good at times but even then he wasn't a game changed tonight.
Deschamps after a torrid start with marlies after the trade, seems lost.

Bulldogs:
Jared Tinordi was a beauty tonight. Aside from Mayer he really stood out to me, he was solid and made some good plays to stop the offensive. If the bulldogs didn't have mayer to save his ass, everyone would have relied on him. He also seems to use his body well and I am curious on how he paces himself to use it more in the AHL.
Nathan Beaulieu was good from time to time, I was mostly praising Tinordi but he picked it up as the game progressed. I really like how he joins in the rush but he sometimes doesn't do it at the right times IMO. He's a guy to watch for sure and I'll see how he does as the season progresses.
One guy I haven't heard much about that stood out tonight was Corbin, he seems like a chipping in offensively from the offensive zone. I can't say much about him as I don't know him.
Forward wise there weren't any that really stood out for me, sure Leblanc got those two goals but still he didn't seem that impress me as much. Bournival on the other seemed like a good soldier and was making some good moves.

That's all I got from tonights game. I'll try to do a short recap on prospect tomorrow as well.

10-19-2012, 10:26 PM
tsujimoto74

Thoughts from Rochester/Grand Rapids game tonight:
-Loving Mark Pysyk so far. He's just so poised with the puck and such a smart player. I figured he'd be a good defensive player at the next level, but his offensive game has definitely surpassed my expectations. Earned a PP assist tonight to give him 1+1 through 4 games.
-Foligno and Hodgson had some nice moments, including hooking up for a goal by Foligno in the 3rd and Hodgson getting robbed of scoring one of his own in the 2nd, but overall I felt like they didn't bring as much as they could/I would like them too. Foligno should be dominating physically, and Hodgson just doesn't look consistent shift-to-shift.
-Luke Adam and TJ Brennan might not have been the worst players on the ice tonight, which is a refreshing change of pace. Brennan was a beast on the PP at least.
-Wasn't watching the DET prospects as closely, but Jurco really stood out in a positive way for me. Kid has slick hands and seemed to constantly be involved in Grand Rapid's scoring chances. Smith did not have a very impressive game tonight, IMO.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 10-20-2012 at 12:26 PM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Exit Dose

I would disagree about DSP. He was a consistent presence out there, tonight. In fact, I'd say he's been that in all of our regular season games.

I thought Kreider looked good. He deserves a knock on tonight's performance for taking himself out of the game, but while he was out there he was very noticeable.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:49 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I would disagree about DSP. He was a consistent presence out there, tonight. In fact, I'd say he's been that in all of our regular season games.

I thought Kreider looked good. He deserves a knock on tonight's performance for taking himself out of the game, but while he was out there he was very noticeable.
Maybe I just didn't notice him as much.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Rolen
sick

vCash: 50
Despite having no points to show Baertschi had a great game today. A really entertaining player to watch, he dangled defenders a few times and was robbed off some chances from Lack and Chicago's D-men.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:55 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
Despite having no points to show Baertschi had a great game today. A really entertaining player to watch, he dangled defenders a few times and was robbed off some chances from Lack and Chicago's D-men.
Happy he's working out for you guys. I always thought he'd be a B-tier prospect and I even thought there was a chance he'd fall to Anaheim at 22. But the kid looks like a star.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Ashasx

Eddie Lack is very impressive. Has to be the best goalie in the AHL.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote