Scheifele sliding?

Old
10-19-2012, 08:14 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Yeah, my friends and I have been calling that spot Scheifele's Office. I look forward to many Jets goals scored from that spot.

Mark's shot is pretty underrated, I think -- you never really hear it mentioned in prospect reports (more about his vision / IQ), but he has a sharp and pretty accurate shot with a wicked release. Still definitely more of the playmaker than the sniper, but kid can definitely fire 'em in the net when he gets the right chances.
No matter what happens with the CBA I hope the Jets just let Scheifele play. That is lead Barrie a team that just may be a real contender and lead Canada in the World Juniors. Last year he did so much bouncing around it probably burnt him out a bit and effected his development. I say let him focus and lead and see where things go.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Aerial

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
No matter what happens with the CBA I hope the Jets just let Scheifele play. That is lead Barrie a team that just may be a real contender and lead Canada in the World Juniors. Last year he did so much bouncing around it probably burnt him out a bit and effected his development. I say let him focus and lead and see where things go.
I agree completely. I've thought before that one upshot of the lockout is that Scheifele would be mad disappointed to be sent back to Barrie again. He has a good head on his shoulders, but at least this way he doesn't even have to go through that emotional rollercoaster -- he can just do exactly what he's doing right now. Full focus on making the most of his last junior year and tearing the OHL a new one.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:04 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

That's exactly what the jets need. Only ladd regularly parks in front of the net but he can have hands of lead.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Boreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
That's exactly what the jets need. Only ladd regularly parks in front of the net but he can have hands of lead.
I have generally been impressed with Ladd's stick work in front of the net. I recall a number of nice tips last season, particularly early on in the campaign, I believe. I found his offensive game to be really underrated.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:46 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I have generally been impressed with Ladd's stick work in front of the net. I recall a number of nice tips last season, particularly early on in the campaign, I believe. I found his offensive game to be really underrated.
Great point on Ladd somehow the guy has back to back seasons where he is one bounce away from being a 30 goal scorer despite facing the other teams top defenders night in noght out. Underrated wrist shot plus a willingness to play in the dirty areas can go along way. Also his toughness is very underrated, when was the last game he missed? Last year he takes that shot to the face and he's a complete mess and he didn't miss a game, you can bet he fought through other injury issues as well over the last two seasons.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:14 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
I agree completely. I've thought before that one upshot of the lockout is that Scheifele would be mad disappointed to be sent back to Barrie again. He has a good head on his shoulders, but at least this way he doesn't even have to go through that emotional rollercoaster -- he can just do exactly what he's doing right now. Full focus on making the most of his last junior year and tearing the OHL a new one.
I was hoping Mark would get in a camp, his preseason games, and maybe his 8 to 10 NHL games so he could personally gauge his improvemt and measure himself against the best and TNSE could re-calibrate his development priorities. I am of the opinion with a high character kid like Mark that the disappointments and set backs only make him stronger in the long run. I think it would have been impossible for Mark to duplicate his last preseason but I think he might have shown us his growth once the regular season started. Don't get me wrong I think another year in Juniors is what Mark needs but I would never want to deny a guy the bumps along the way.

If I was foucsed on events only I would say this year Mark could have had a better trial run in this regular season NHL games, could have a better world juniors, could have a better 2nd half of the OHL season when the checking historically tightens, and could lead his team deeper in the playoffs or have a bigger impact when he gets to St John's for their hopefully deep playoff run. however I am not foucsed on events I am more about his overall development. Mostly I would like to see him continue to fill out his frame and get stronger in the weight room and I would like to see improved stability and balance on his skates. As far as his play goes there are going to still be ups and downs but I would like to see improved consistency in his all around game and a higher % of games where he dominates. Putting it simply by the end of this season I want it to become self evident that Mark needs to move to the next level to grow.

On a side note depending on when (if) the lock out ends Mark might still get a shortened training camp in with the Jets? I am not sure how the club and NHL are going to handle this and if Mark would be allowed to play in any regular season games?

Old
10-20-2012, 05:20 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I was hoping Mark would get in a camp, his preseason games, and maybe his 8 to 10 NHL games so he could personally gauge his improvemt and measure himself against the best and TNSE could re-calibrate his development priorities. I am of the opinion with a high character kid like Mark that the disappointments and set backs only make him stronger in the long run. I think it would have been impossible for Mark to duplicate his last preseason but I think he might have shown us his growth once the regular season started. Don't get me wrong I think another year in Juniors is what Mark needs but I would never want to deny a guy the bumps along the way.

If I was foucsed on events only I would say this year Mark could have had a better trial run in this regular season NHL games, could have a better world juniors, could have a better 2nd half of the OHL season when the checking historically tightens, and could lead his team deeper in the playoffs or have a bigger impact when he gets to St John's for their hopefully deep playoff run. however I am not foucsed on events I am more about his overall development. Mostly I would like to see him continue to fill out his frame and get stronger in the weight room and I would like to see improved stability and balance on his skates. As far as his play goes there are going to still be ups and downs but I would like to see improved consistency in his all around game and a higher % of games where he dominates. Putting it simply by the end of this season I want it to become self evident that Mark needs to move to the next level to grow.

On a side note depending on when (if) the lock out ends Mark might still get a shortened training camp in with the Jets? I am not sure how the club and NHL are going to handle this and if Mark would be allowed to play in any regular season games?
Mark has already gone through a training camp, preseason games, and a host of regular season games. Conditioning wise, he's ahead of the curve. He'll likely attend training camp and be given his 7 or 9 game shot to stick, like last year.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:27 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Mark has already gone through a training camp, preseason games, and a host of regular season games. Conditioning wise, he's ahead of the curve. He'll likely attend training camp and be given his 7 or 9 game shot to stick, like last year.
I am really interested to see where they slot him in now for his trial run on our much deeper line up? At centre we now have Little, Jokinen, Burmi, Slates?

Old
10-20-2012, 05:56 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 544
Quote:
I am really interested to see where they slot him in now for his trial run on our much deeper line up? At centre we now have Little, Jokinen, Burmi, Slates?
Hm. You're right. Any of them have winger experience? I would personally see him center Burmi's line and move Burmi to the wing to see how that goes.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:34 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Hm. You're right. Any of them have winger experience? I would personally see him center Burmi's line and move Burmi to the wing to see how that goes.
Little played all of his rookie season at RW. Burmistrov obviously has experience, he played their last year. I still think Little and potentially Burmi as well project longterm on the wing better than down the middle. Which is why I wanted Faksa in the draft to help the depth down the middle in the future, but that's beside the point.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:35 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 515
Quote:

I totally agree on the overall development part. It is just a matter of how he gets there. It is only recently that I've started to shift my thinking on this. Seing how well Mark and Barrie are doing this year there seems to be an opportunity for a special season. A lot can be gained by being the "MAN" in that type of situation. What if Mark leads Barrie to the Memorial cup and leads the OHL in scoring or is close to it. And he dominates at the World Junior and gets a gold. Next year Mark comes to camp not only bigger and stronger but full of confidence in his abilities to one day do the same for the Jets.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:47 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Little played all of his rookie season at RW. Burmistrov obviously has experience, he played their last year. I still think Little and potentially Burmi as well project longterm on the wing better than down the middle. Which is why I wanted Faksa in the draft to help the depth down the middle in the future, but that's beside the point.
You and me both. BUT, I'm quite happy with Trouba too!

Scheifele is no guarantee to develop into a legitimate top-line C on a contender and it isn't smart to put all your eggs into one basket...

Then again, from TNSE point of view, they could disagree with us thinking Little and Burmistov being better suited for the wing on a contender. Also, we are short everywhere for blue-chips beyond Scheifele, Trouba, and maaaybe Telegin and Postma.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:14 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Maybe by signing Jokinen to a two-year deal they're preparing to allow Scheifele to take longer with his development before he reaches the NHL on a full time basis. Could it be that management wants him to play this full season in the OHL followed by a year between the AHL and NHL as an injury replacement? I'm not sure what Winnipeg fans think about this, but allowing him to fully develop in junior and then a season in the top 6 at the AHL level could be very beneficial to him.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:32 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Maybe by signing Jokinen to a two-year deal they're preparing to allow Scheifele to take longer with his development before he reaches the NHL on a full time basis. Could it be that management wants him to play this full season in the OHL followed by a year between the AHL and NHL as an injury replacement? I'm not sure what Winnipeg fans think about this, but allowing him to fully develop in junior and then a season in the top 6 at the AHL level could be very beneficial to him.
Can't speak for others, but I'd be fully on board with this plan.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:50 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Can't speak for others, but I'd be fully on board with this plan.
x2 for sure!

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I have long assumed this to be the plan.

Frankly, I can't see Scheifele cracking our top 9 this year even with a strong camp. I really don't see any of our prospects unseating Poni, Antro or Wellwood this year.

Cormier can be moved back and forth without waivers, so he is probably a top call up option.

Meanwhile Telegin, Klingberg and Scheifele each get another year to develop. If development goes well, they can step in for the departing Antropov, Poni or Welly. If they need more time, the Jets can retain the vets or persue other short term options.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
I honestly don't think so. I think with the compressed TC, the team's more competitive forward group and the fact that Mark is already into his OHL season, they will just leave him be.

They need that week with the players that are going to be Winnipeg Jets. There are new guys that need to learn the system, the players need to get into game shape and start playing together. They will hit the ground running (hopefully November 2nd) and with all the games they will be playing right off the bat you can't afford to fall behind. When you look at the forwards we have it would be a disservice IMHO to play Scheifele the small amount of minutes he'd get. He's much better off not being disrupted and playing his major role in Barrie.

I bet the TC will be fairly close to the 23 man roster we will roll with come opening night. God it feels good to think about opening night. I sure hope we have one soon.

10-20-2012, 01:11 PM
ATLhockey437

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
I've said it before and i'll say it again. The Jets should have taken Couturier or even Hamilton instead of Scheifele.
everyone was saying that

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I honestly don't think so. I think with the compressed TC, the team's more competitive forward group and the fact that Mark is already into his OHL season, they will just leave him be.

They need that week with the players that are going to be Winnipeg Jets. There are new guys that need to learn the system, the players need to get into game shape and start playing together. They will hit the ground running (hopefully November 2nd) and with all the games they will be playing right off the bat you can't afford to fall behind. When you look at the forwards we have it would be a disservice IMHO to play Scheifele the small amount of minutes he'd get. He's much better off not being disrupted and playing his major role in Barrie.

I bet the TC will be fairly close to the 23 man roster we will roll with come opening night. God it feels good to think about opening night. I sure hope we have one soon.
Scheifele will be in TC, IMO. He is the only CHL player the Jets listed on their list that allows them to recall players from junior mid-season. They want to give him his chance, IMO. Even in normal camps the players don't really play together in the pre-season, even in the final games there is a bunch of players around.

Locked out players (11) + Scheifele + Burmistrov + Machacek + Cormier + Maxwell and maybe one of Klingberg/Telegin will all be up with Jets for TC, IMO. Not too many, but enough to create competition.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:18 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
My only problem with the Trouba pick is where is he gonna play? Noel uses top line as his offensive D and second as shutdown. Trouba will never be better offensively than buff and I doubt he develops into a better shutdown guy than bogo. Unless someone plays on their off side there is no room for him on our right side. Obviously this is still years away and things will change, but I'd prefer to have picked Forsberg who I think was BPA and filled and organizational need. Still happy with the Trouba pick.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:26 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I totally agree on the overall development part. It is just a matter of how he gets there. It is only recently that I've started to shift my thinking on this. Seing how well Mark and Barrie are doing this year there seems to be an opportunity for a special season. A lot can be gained by being the "MAN" in that type of situation. What if Mark leads Barrie to the Memorial cup and leads the OHL in scoring or is close to it. And he dominates at the World Junior and gets a gold. Next year Mark comes to camp not only bigger and stronger but full of confidence in his abilities to one day do the same for the Jets.
Quote:
King we are singing from the same page for sure but I will give a bit of context behind my bumpy road is a good road post. When I listened to Barry Trotz explain the value behind the Nashville draft and develop model one point really resonated with me. Barry is very big on the philosophy that the road to Nashville goes through Milwaukee and the fact that Weber, Suter, And Rinne all played there means they aren't just talking it, and and I hope I can explain his point. Barry said a player can have the skills to crack the NHL lineup as an 18 year old fresh out of the draft but usually they don't have the maturity. he said that the problem you inevitably have with a young player in the NHL is they can start out like a house on fire but when they hit a rough patch, and everyone has a rough patch, they often have not had to deal with failure due to their talent level and it can really set them back and sometimes ruin them. He said what the slow road does is affords a player the ability to learn how to be a professional in the AHL and the path by nature means they have dealt with the dissapointment of not making it to the bigs as fast as they would have liked to. he was a big believer in the emotional MATURITY and professionalism that comes with playing in the AHL. to that point I did take it that the easy road isn't always the best road and that the setbacks are a big part of the growth. I think we are saying the same thing in that we think Mark in the OHL is the best play I guess I thought him having the chance to try and perhaps fall short of making the Jets might have been a blessing.

Hearing Trotz talk it reminded me allot of NBA players skipping collage and going strait to the NBA....i am not sure they ever mature as much emotionally by skipping that step (I know that is a really broad sweeping statement)

Anyways I am a huge fan of patience and quality minutes

Old
10-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Scheifele will be in TC, IMO. He is the only CHL player the Jets listed on their list that allows them to recall players from junior mid-season. They want to give him his chance, IMO. Even in normal camps the players don't really play together in the pre-season, even in the final games there is a bunch of players around.

Locked out players (11) + Scheifele + Burmistrov + Machacek + Cormier + Maxwell and maybe one of Klingberg/Telegin will all be up with Jets for TC, IMO. Not too many, but enough to create competition.
If that's the plan, it's a mistake IMO. Sure, it gives Scheifele another look but the stakes are higher and he is settled in to his season already. Training camp is not so much of an evaluation camp when it's one week. It is a conditioning and systems camp. You want to have as much as possible figured out by regular season puck drop as possible. The games for points will be coming fast and furious and you can dig yourself a big hole in a hurry. It's bad enough we will be without our best defenseman. All JMO

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
My only problem with the Trouba pick is where is he gonna play? Noel uses top line as his offensive D and second as shutdown. Trouba will never be better offensively than buff and I doubt he develops into a better shutdown guy than bogo. Unless someone plays on their off side there is no room for him on our right side. Obviously this is still years away and things will change, but I'd prefer to have picked Forsberg who I think was BPA and filled and organizational need. Still happy with the Trouba pick.
Noel will not be coaching here by the time Trouba plays a game for Winnipeg. I can say that with almost absolute certainty. I very much dislike the way Noel uses his D (and lines), hopefully the next coach does not follow this strategy. Very few coachs last more than 4 years, and Trouba is at least 3 years away, IMO.

Nothing wrong with the Trouba pick, LD/RD is not a very big issue alot of players play their off-sides, if the time comes that Trouba is top 4 ready with Buff and Bogo still here (far from a certainty). I have no problem with the pick.

Forsberg is not the player I would want either, but this is OT.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
If that's the plan, it's a mistake IMO. Sure, it gives Scheifele another look but the stakes are higher and he is settled in to his season already. Training camp is not so much of an evaluation camp when it's one week. It is a conditioning and systems camp. You want to have as much as possible figured out by regular season puck drop as possible. The games for points will be coming fast and furious and you can dig yourself a big hole in a hurry. It's bad enough we will be without our best defenseman. All JMO
I think having Scheifele with the NHLers, even for a week, is a positive. Will help him learn the pace needed. What is there really to figure out? There's only what, 2 new forwards, are we completely re-inventing systems? These guys have played hockey their whole lives, it's not like they are re-inventing hockey systems in a week. I don't see how having Mark here, or running a condensed training camp are mutually exclusive is all I am saying. I am only talking about having 15-16 fwds, 8-9 d, 2 g in camp, it's not like you are having separate practice schedules, or a bunch of rookies. But you bring in the guys that can legitmately challenge for spots, and considering Scheifele FORCED his way onto the roster to start the year last year when it was clear Chevy/Noel did not expect him to play, makes him a legitemate candidate, IMO.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:45 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Noel will not be coaching here by the time Trouba plays a game for Winnipeg. I can say that with almost absolute certainty. I very much dislike the way Noel uses his D (and lines), hopefully the next coach does not follow this strategy. Very few coachs last more than 4 years, and Trouba is at least 3 years away, IMO.

Nothing wrong with the Trouba pick, LD/RD is not a very big issue alot of players play their off-sides, if the time comes that Trouba is top 4 ready with Buff and Bogo still here (far from a certainty). I have no problem with the pick.

Forsberg is not the player I would want either, but this is OT.
I don't mind how Noel uses his lines, but I'll agree with the sentiment that 3-4 years from now you don't know what may happen, who's still on the team and someone can learn their offside (ex: Hainsey and Clitsome play both sides already).

EDIT: It's tough to judge his system with the cards that were dealt. His forwards lines lacked depth and the defensive pairings were almost always down 1 of the top 4.

Last edited by garret9: 10-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote