HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

How sick is Mike Ilitch?

Old
10-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Fenway

vCash: 147
How sick is Mike Ilitch?

Anybody who watched the Tigers celebration on Thursday had to be shocked at how frail Mike Ilitch appeared.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/video/...90990&c_id=det

Mike's last appearance was the Winter Classic was coming to Michigan.

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...sole?id=156133

Just look at the 2 clips - the change in a few months is dramatic.

I have no clue on how the City of Detroit and Olympia Sports deal with Joe Louis - but the reality is the overhead scoreboard has not been upgraded in years. What you have today is what Boston, St. Louis and Hartford bought in 1995 and it has never been upgraded.

Look at minor league Kalamazoo has.

I guess Chris is really running things now
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...t-sports-expo#

The Wings need to be close to Windsor Transit - how many STH's are from Ontario? The Wings unlike Buffalo have never said.

JLA needs to be replaced - it is a clone of the Hartford Civic Center.

I wish I had seen a game at Olympia but at least I saw it inside but I had to take a swine flu shot in 1976 to do so. Olympia was very similar to Boston Garden and even shared the same scoreboard.

Last edited by Fenway: 10-20-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:18 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Anybody who watched the Tigers celebration on Thursday had to be shocked at how frail Mike Ilitch appeared.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/video/...90990&c_id=det

Mike's last appearance was the Winter Classic was coming to Michigan.
Looks like he isn't in a good physical condition anymore. The standing was hard. But the mind was still there.

You can lose your body, but as long as you don't lose your mind, the life if worth living.

I hope the Tigers will win it for Mr. I.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Mike has done so much for the city of Detroit and the two teams he owns. He's looking frail, to be sure. I do hope the Tigers win the World Series for him.

With all of the negative press about the owners in this lockout, it's easy to forget that the Detroit Red Wings have had a pretty awesome owner.

Good health, Mike!

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:05 AM
jroc86

What a beauty his guy is. He really deserves a championship.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Adam Schnepp
Hockey's Future Staff

The difference in a few months is unsettling. Hope the Tigers win the World Series for him, it's been one of the few things he hasn't accomplished in sports and he's definitely an owner who deserves it.

10-20-2012, 10:24 AM
probertrules24
Down with the Bruins

The Ilitch's Mike and Marian both are so passionate about their teams and the city. Not being from the city myself, you can hear it in their voices when they talk. Mr Ilitch's was looking frail in that video and I wish him all the best. I have been a Wings fan for a very very long time and if it wasn't for his family this team I have supported all my life wouldn't of been what it is. I would love to see both the Tigers and Wings bring home many championships for Mike in the years to come.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:35 AM
newfy

Mikes real baby is the tigers and baseball is his first love, he was a semi pro basbeall player or something. He even said he might trade a cup or 2 for a world series, I really hope the tigers pull through cause this is looking like his last chance

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:56 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Good for Mike Ilitich

I hope Ilitch wins his World Series and realizes his lifelong dream.

Good thing baseball doesn't have a salary cap, or he might not have had the ability to buy all these great players.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:11 PM
irishock
In the sunset

vCash: 571
I don't know if it was the emotions or something but Mike didn't sound like he did during Nick's press conference.

irishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Mikes real baby is the tigers and baseball is his first love, he was a semi pro basbeall player or something. He even said he might trade a cup or 2 for a world series, I really hope the tigers pull through cause this is looking like his last chance
I don't like baseball at all as a sport, but I quarantee for all you Detroiters, I will be a heart and soul Tigers fan at World Series because of this awesome man.

Mike Ilitch.

He deserves it. A baseball guy, who fell in love for hockey and built our Red Wings.

Time is now.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Wow, he does look frail. I'm not the biggest baseball fan but that would be nice if the Tigers won it for him this year.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Anchor Town

Yeah hopefully he gets his world series championship he's always dreamed of cause he only has a few months left, if that

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

vCash: 50
I've actually been able to get into baseball the last couple years (roommate is a huge Cubs fan lol). I'll never love it like hockey, but it's a lot of fun to watch some of these great Tiger players.

I really hope they get Mr. I the championship.

Frozen Fiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:07 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

If they plan on winning him a WS, they should probably do it very, very soon.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
It was surprising and a little hard to watch. Also concerning is I think I have seen Marian Ilitch at all those moments throughout the years right by his side. Wondering where she was as well?

Going from Mike Ilitch to Denise Ilitch is going to be... Well lets hope the Tigers get one for Mike. He has been great to the city and as a fan of Detroit sports we could not have/had a better owner.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Longshot57
Rookie User

Me and my Mom were discussing this. She grew up with both Mike and Marion in their old Detroit neighborhood. They are all Macedonian and attend the same church. The old one was at Mi. Ave & 25th street. One since middle/late 60s is on Ford Rd. in Dearborn (Alter Rd.). She said my uncle ( her brother) who knows some of their close friends is going to call to see what is wrong. He had a heart bypass about a year ago and its been said he has not been well ever since. They keep their private business exactly that way.

We also wondered where Marion was. Mike and Marion's parents (Bayoff) are buried within 70 yards of my Dad (who was 100% Italian), my grandmother (Mom's side) and aunt at Grand Lawn.

But for people to make remarks that he's probably going to die after the Tigers win WS is so disrespectful. I pray not for his families sake.

In jest my mother said he always looked sick when growing up. But no joking now as there is definitely something horribly wrong. Leyland and Dombrowski were literally holding him up. There's never been anything in the church bulletin as far as prayers for illness but like I said they like many like to keep personal lives private.

Ilitch never gave up on Detroit, his generation as well as mine remember a better Detroit in days past. And it is that memory that keeps everybody with some hope.

All started with one small pizza joint in Garden City. Whatever is wrong health wise, may he get well.

Longshot57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Anchor Town

Everyone dies, don't see how that's disrespectful. He's very old and is clearly fading fast. Kinda like how everyone could see Steve Jobs dying. Everyone here appreciates everything he has done for the Red Wings, the Tigers, and the Detroit community.

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:44 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I'm not Ilitch's doctor, nor do I know the specifics of his health, but based on his current appearance, and his rate of apparent decline based on other recent videos of him, it would not surprise me if he is months, or even weeks from death. As the owner of my two favorite professional sports teams, I absolutely appreciate everything he has done, and I sincerely hope that is not the case, but it makes me want the Tigers to win the WS just that much more. For Mr. I. He deserves it.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:49 AM
RaySheppard

MOD

The man appears to be on the way out. That's how it goes. Whether he is a rich man, a poor man or a middle class man..it's all the same.

I wish him well though.

Last edited by Fugu: 10-21-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: qdp
RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I don't like baseball at all as a sport, but I quarantee for all you Detroiters, I will be a heart and soul Tigers fan at World Series because of this awesome man.

Mike Ilitch.

He deserves it. A baseball guy, who fell in love for hockey and built our Red Wings.

Time is now.
Yeah I am definitely pulling for Mr. I to witness a World Series championship. He's done so much for sports fans in Detroit. For the original poster in this thread the DRW have plans for a new arena that will be very nice. I don't know when it will actually open but the planning has been done and it's a matter of time until it's up and running.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:12 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

I'd look like that too if I was his age, had his passion for the Tigers, and had to watch that godawful regular season.

It really could be a product of the amount of stress the Tigers caused these past couple months. The fact they are four games away probably won't help him, either.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Clearly, Mr. Ilitch appears sick and frail. But putting a timetable on his death is very disrespectful. We have no extra knowledge on the matter, and some of you are going to apply a countdown to his death? Stop being so sensational.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:34 PM
SirloinUB

Does anyone know any details of the potential arena?
How much public funding would the seek?
Realistically, how far away is it?
price tag?

SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
Does anyone know any details of the potential arena?
How much public funding would the seek?
Realistically, how far away is it?
price tag?
Supposedly they have selected an architect, HKS. They designed the American Airlines Center where the Stars play. The Wings are not saying much but it's a badly kept secret that they have bought up a bunch of land behind the FOX theater which is close to the Hockeytown cafe, Comerica Park and Ford Field. Part of the design team is supposedly tasked with designing an entertainment complex for the area, which makes sense given all of the sports team located in Detroit will be in very close proximity to one another.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

There's a lot of info about it, but it's all sort of hush hush. The fact is, the city is broke, the county is broke and the state isn't going to be able to justify a lot in investment. If Mr. I really is at the end, I expect they're going to mount a privately financed campaign... which means other investors (ie. Amway). Location rumors have shifted from Foxtown to the vacant lots across I-75 from Hockeytown (called the Temple site), owing to Illitch's involvement in the M1 light rail/streetcar project and it's inclusion of a stop at those abandoned lots. There's also more space there for the proposed shopping center that will accompany the arena.

They own all the land, so it's really all down to financing. And an announcement on that could come whenever the family decides they can't wait any longer. I expect it will happen before he passes.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote