HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
  #351
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Somewhat related - one of the most fun games of my life involved playing against my older sister. She was always a bit of a...well, a brute to me. So I took advantage of the opportunity to get even wherever I could.

We would line up as opposing wingers for the faceoff. I got my stick between her legs and gave her a can opener, sending her sprawling to the ice. One ref with his back to us, didn't notice.

We'd get to the front of the net and she'd start chirping me. I gently headbutted her helmet with mine, causing her to snap and punch me...earning her a penalty from the ref. The ref came over to warn me about the headbutt, I told him she was my sister. He laughed and said forget about it then.

I think she tried bodychecking me five or six times. I normally just avoid checks, but I just squared myself and sent her flying off each time.

Good memories. Granted, probably not the best strategy to use on any woman who isn't your sister.
Hah. Always fun to play with a family/relative/close friend.

Wilch is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 10:42 PM
  #352
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Played in a game a little over a week ago with a really short bench. I'm not sure what happened in the game, but about two day later, both my ankles feel like they are sprained.


Last edited by SouthpawTRK: 07-14-2012 at 11:37 PM.
SouthpawTRK is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 02:44 AM
  #353
hockeyisforeveryone
Registered User
 
hockeyisforeveryone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 70
Ever gotten annoyed by your own team?

Right now the B and C divisions in our league are mixed to flesh out who will play each other regularly later in the season. Last year we were almost undefeated, and ended up winning the championship. This season we've lost to a few really good teams already.

Facing adversity several of the guys are acting like real *******. Goalie yelling at our own players, players *****ing at the goalie for missing saves...players screaming at the refs for not making calls...taking weak, cheap retaliation penalties complaining that we're being checked when basically we're getting outworked...excuses and more excuses after the games that we got screwed, that the other team is all 18 year olds (it is an over 18 league), talking how bad they want to fight these other teams. It's embarrassing, I've never been with hockey players like this.

I feel like an outsider. I have no shame losing to a much, much better team that yes do play a bit more physical. I would WAAYY rather play a stronger team than steamrolling a soft team and not being challenged. It's no longer about winning for me (although I give 100%), I'd rather no one is injured and we have fun. If it seems that this team can't have fun and enjoy the game I will be outta there.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 07:24 AM
  #354
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
I hate teams that bring in a ringer for games against a good team. While I understand things happen and players can't make it, only having 9 skaters isn't an excuse to call up a buddy that is one of the top players in the Division above yours and then have him play almost the entire game. I get it when it happens with a goalie. Sometimes the only guy available is someone who is way overqualified for the league, but you should sack up and play one guy short rather than go get a guy who is going to single handedly change the quality of your team

Beezeral is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 03:41 PM
  #355
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
How about not rostering a goalie? A team in our league does not have a "real goalie" however their captain uses the leagues "goalie list" and picks and chooses who he likes. Kinda BS if you ask me.

OpenIceHit42 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:08 PM
  #356
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
I hate teams that bring in a ringer for games against a good team. While I understand things happen and players can't make it, only having 9 skaters isn't an excuse to call up a buddy that is one of the top players in the Division above yours and then have him play almost the entire game. I get it when it happens with a goalie. Sometimes the only guy available is someone who is way overqualified for the league, but you should sack up and play one guy short rather than go get a guy who is going to single handedly change the quality of your team
I've actually found that goalies from the upper levels can struggle against the lower competition because things are way less predictable. They have expectations of what the "smart" or "correct" play would be, so when new players do something different, the goalie gets caught out of position or isn't ready.

Things that confuse me: When better skating Dmen get paired with less fleet of foot guys, and consistently decide to join the rush or carry the puck up. One turnover and its a 3 on 1 with the a less agile D man and his partner completely on the other side of the ice.

Trl3789 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:28 PM
  #357
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I've actually found that goalies from the upper levels can struggle against the lower competition because things are way less predictable. They have expectations of what the "smart" or "correct" play would be, so when new players do something different, the goalie gets caught out of position or isn't ready.
You are right to an extent. It has happened to me many times. I'll be used to playing with my travel team against top level competition, then get asked to play in an adult C game and give up 3 or 4 goals that should never have gone in. It's not that its predictable, it's more of being used to a certain speed, and when everything gets slowed down, all your timing is thrown off. If a guy is taking a slap shot from the high slot, I'm used to a bullet heading top shelf, not a knuckler that's knee high and traveling 20 mph slower. You just get handcuffed really easily.

But there are also plenty of games where i adjusted quickly and single handedly won a team a game they had no business winning because I was able to stop almost everything while the other goalie played like a typical C league goalie

Beezeral is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:36 PM
  #358
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
You are right to an extent. It has happened to me many times. I'll be used to playing with my travel team against top level competition, then get asked to play in an adult C game and give up 3 or 4 goals that should never have gone in. It's not that its predictable, it's more of being used to a certain speed, and when everything gets slowed down, all your timing is thrown off. If a guy is taking a slap shot from the high slot, I'm used to a bullet heading top shelf, not a knuckler that's knee high and traveling 20 mph slower. You just get handcuffed really easily.

But there are also plenty of games where i adjusted quickly and single handedly won a team a game they had no business winning because I was able to stop almost everything while the other goalie played like a typical C league goalie
Yeah that's fair. I know it doesn't happen every time, i was more just caught off guard that it happens as much as it does.

Trl3789 is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 03:40 AM
  #359
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 500
Was playing a beer league game a few weeks ago and the goalie on the other team up and QUIT after being down 4-0. He actually took his water bottle and left the ice... Apparently he was pissed that my team had brought in 2 "ringers" (who only scored 1 of the goals). In reality, these "ringers" only play one division up from us and are nowhere near the best players in that division. To add to it, my team has 3 over 60 year olds playing for it with one guy (my grand father) being 80. We were arguing with the other team when this happened and I was trying to tell them like we have 10 guys and 3 of them are old as crap and you're *****ing about us bringing in some 20 year olds who can actually skate? This is in the C2 division and the 2 kids we got to help us out play in the C (which really isn't that much different... just a tad faster and better goalies). The other team has 1 A division guy to "anchor their team" as they put it.

To make this situation even more ridiculous, the lame ass goalie who left the game normally PLAYS in the B division (he skates out for the C2 team, but they didn't have their regular goalie that night).

It was just a bunch of nonsense and it really pissed me off because I wasn't even going to show up for the game as I was sick and coming home from the city that night, but I decided to suck it up and I showed up for the beginning of the second. I show up and this sorry excuse for a hockey player lets everyone down by leaving. He doesn't even consult his team's bench before doing so. Grr I was so pissed that night.

Fanned On It is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:05 AM
  #360
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Was playing a beer league game a few weeks ago and the goalie on the other team up and QUIT after being down 4-0. He actually took his water bottle and left the ice... Apparently he was pissed that my team had brought in 2 "ringers" (who only scored 1 of the goals). In reality, these "ringers" only play one division up from us and are nowhere near the best players in that division. To add to it, my team has 3 over 60 year olds playing for it with one guy (my grand father) being 80. We were arguing with the other team when this happened and I was trying to tell them like we have 10 guys and 3 of them are old as crap and you're *****ing about us bringing in some 20 year olds who can actually skate? This is in the C2 division and the 2 kids we got to help us out play in the C (which really isn't that much different... just a tad faster and better goalies). The other team has 1 A division guy to "anchor their team" as they put it.

To make this situation even more ridiculous, the lame ass goalie who left the game normally PLAYS in the B division (he skates out for the C2 team, but they didn't have their regular goalie that night).

It was just a bunch of nonsense and it really pissed me off because I wasn't even going to show up for the game as I was sick and coming home from the city that night, but I decided to suck it up and I showed up for the beginning of the second. I show up and this sorry excuse for a hockey player lets everyone down by leaving. He doesn't even consult his team's bench before doing so. Grr I was so pissed that night.
LOL - that's ridiculous.

I have lots of stories about people playing down and all that stuff. Usually it doesn't make much of a difference, though you usually see a team that completely sucks turn into a team you have to actually play against. Of course, if you shut down the one guy the team remains a non-threat.

I remember once our team had 2 games at 2 rinks scheduled for pretty much one right after the next. The best part is our goalie for Game 1 was the goalie against the team we were going to play in Game 2. So he left our 3rd period with about 7 minutes left and we skated up a man the rest of the time. I believe we let up 0 and scored 2-3 more and won that game despite it all.

So fast forward to the beginning of the 2nd game: we show up and the score is 7-7. Apparently they played nearly half the 1st period without ANY goalies and just kept racking up goals. The goalie mentioned above showed up in slow manner so he didn't even really help much. Not sure how he pulled that off. And OUR goalie for the 2nd game, freakin' guy was dressing while we showed up late as hell already. Again, no clue what his problem was.

All in all, we ended up basically playing 2 periods + 2 minutes of the 1st, tied from 7-7. I think the score ended up being 15-12 or something crazy like that. The entire scenario surrounding that whole day was so ridiculous, but so hilarious

Ozz is online now  
Old
10-20-2012, 02:41 PM
  #361
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
Not really a vent, but last season I played horribly. I was stuck on a line with 2 puck hogs, and had various health issues during the season. Ending up playing the whole season without a single goal so I was kicked off the team that I have been playing on for 7 years. I was typically a middle of the pack kind of player, I'd score the odd goal and played a more of a grinder type of game which I had great success at.
So now this year on a new team, I have scored in every single game I've played in so far, just wish I could play my old team.

OilerNut* is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 06:11 PM
  #362
Oh_so_saad
Registered User
 
Oh_so_saad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Im still frustrated I haven't gotten he call from he nhl. Common 64 points ib 21 games in division 1 mens beer league. Im ready

Oh_so_saad is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 02:03 PM
  #363
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,768
vCash: 500
Score keeper missed a very obvious assist from me . This is my first time playing and I set a very modest point total and with that point I'd be halfway already. And we have 20 games left, so I emailed the hockey director, not sure if they will aware it to me or not.

I also get upset at how easily my team retaliates, we take a lot of dumb penalties because of it.

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 02:10 PM
  #364
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Score keeper missed a very obvious assist from me . This is my first time playing and I set a very modest point total and with that point I'd be halfway already. And we have 20 games left, so I emailed the hockey director, not sure if they will aware it to me or not.

I also get upset at how easily my team retaliates, we take a lot of dumb penalties because of it.
Let me give you some friendly advice. Nobody likes the guy who complains about not getting awarded points. It's beer league hockey. Refs/league commissioners don't want to be dealing with guys constantly complaining about points. Just be happy they post stats online in the first place. I know it's your first time playing and it's a cool thrill to look online and see your stats, but don't get wrapped up in it. Just keep playing hard and the points will come.

Beezeral is online now  
Old
10-21-2012, 03:13 PM
  #365
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Let me give you some friendly advice. Nobody likes the guy who complains about not getting awarded points. It's beer league hockey. Refs/league commissioners don't want to be dealing with guys constantly complaining about points. Just be happy they post stats online in the first place. I know it's your first time playing and it's a cool thrill to look online and see your stats, but don't get wrapped up in it. Just keep playing hard and the points will come.
This -- I used to like it when I first started playing hockey. Now one of my league's still does it, I never even look at the stats anymore. All I care about are the wins!

But to stay a bit on topic with frustrations, I hate people that are just completely reckless. On top of it, it's always the people that flip out whenever you touch them. I was playing a game in my men's league and I'm sure you're all aware that they're always high scoring. We were up 12-9 and with literally 3 seconds left, a guy on the other team tees up for a slap shot from his own end, while the rest of my team already turned to skate to the goalie because the game was already over. He has one of the hardest slapshots in the league and he can't keep them low either. It flew head high and fortunately didn't hit anybody. I gave him a slash for being a total moron and he flips out at me for slashing him because, get this, "WTF, the game was already over anyway!" Funny that the reason he was so angry was my slashing him right as the game ended and I slashed him because he took a completely unnecessary head high slapshot towards people looking the other direction... I just skated off the ice after the hand shake line and I guess he complained to the guy running the league and the guy who runs the league came to talk to me in the locker room. I explained why I did it and he laughed.

It's always funny because there are plenty of really nice guys on the ice and I'm one of them, but I'm one of the very few that has no problem giving it back to people. There are some people who think I'm a dirty player just because I always slash them back and harder. I'd really love to know what goes on in some people's heads that they can skate around acting like a jackass but can't be touched.

Frankie Spankie is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 04:47 PM
  #366
TwistedWristah
Boston Strong
 
TwistedWristah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,993
vCash: 500
Buddy of mine always used to talk about his stats and how sweet his dangles were. This was a ball hockey league btw.

TwistedWristah is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
  #367
PaperRockChamp
Registered User
 
PaperRockChamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wpg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Buddy of mine always used to talk about his stats and how sweet his dangles were. This was a ball hockey league btw.
I have great respect for the very good ball-hockey players. It's f-ing tough.

PaperRockChamp is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
  #368
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Let me give you some friendly advice. Nobody likes the guy who complains about not getting awarded points. It's beer league hockey. Refs/league commissioners don't want to be dealing with guys constantly complaining about points. Just be happy they post stats online in the first place. I know it's your first time playing and it's a cool thrill to look online and see your stats, but don't get wrapped up in it. Just keep playing hard and the points will come.
Think what you want, but that **** is too expensive for me to be whatever about it. And I wasn't complaining to the director, I just told him my assist was missed what game it was and that our captain can vouch, since he got the goal off of it. It's my points and unless I tell someone it'll never get posted, so I don't really care if it annoys you, since it was just an email and I never said anything to the score keeper.

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 08:52 PM
  #369
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Think what you want, but that **** is too expensive for me to be whatever about it. And I wasn't complaining to the director, I just told him my assist was missed what game it was and that our captain can vouch, since he got the goal off of it. It's my points and unless I tell someone it'll never get posted, so I don't really care if it annoys you, since it was just an email and I never said anything to the score keeper.
It's beer league hockey buddy. The stats don't really mean anything. The guy who is always bugging people about his stats being incorrect gets a bad reputation with his teammates and with whoever is running the league. If there was a scoring title you were in the running for and there was a cool trophy or something that you could win, many wouldn't mind.

I know you think it's no big deal for the director to just go online and switch the scoresheet, but it's something he just would rather not deal with.

Trust the vets that are telling you not to sweat the small stuff. I know you are new to the game and every point feels like a major accomplishment, but just let these things go. The hockey gods eventually even things out where you will get an assist for a goal you weren't even on the ice for, or will get a goal when the puck accidentally bounced off your back or something.

Beezeral is online now  
Old
10-21-2012, 09:11 PM
  #370
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
It's beer league hockey buddy. The stats don't really mean anything. The guy who is always bugging people about his stats being incorrect gets a bad reputation with his teammates and with whoever is running the league. If there was a scoring title you were in the running for and there was a cool trophy or something that you could win, many wouldn't mind.

I know you think it's no big deal for the director to just go online and switch the scoresheet, but it's something he just would rather not deal with.

Trust the vets that are telling you not to sweat the small stuff. I know you are new to the game and every point feels like a major accomplishment, but just let these things go. The hockey gods eventually even things out where you will get an assist for a goal you weren't even on the ice for, or will get a goal when the puck accidentally bounced off your back or something.
Listen to this guy. You know you got the point so what's the difference if it's posted online or not? When you're as new as you are (which I'm assuming is very very new based on this incident) it's cool to go online and remember how you got all of your points, but eventually you're going to be good enough to amass so many that you'll have trouble remembering how you got them in the first place. Don't sweat the small stuff, buddy.

1Knee1T is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
  #371
TwistedWristah
Boston Strong
 
TwistedWristah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
I have great respect for the very good ball-hockey players. It's f-ing tough.
Ditto. We were all good, not travel-team tournament good though. Most of the league was guys just trying to get a weekend workout in. We went to a tournament in Leominster, Mass. a few years back and got thrashed. Place is like the Mecca of ball hockey in this area lol. Ended up playing some kids who actually played for Team USA, the score wasn't even close but it was a good experience.

TwistedWristah is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 09:30 PM
  #372
Aucoin11*
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
I'm playing beer league.

Aucoin11* is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
  #373
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
It's beer league hockey buddy. The stats don't really mean anything. The guy who is always bugging people about his stats being incorrect gets a bad reputation with his teammates and with whoever is running the league. If there was a scoring title you were in the running for and there was a cool trophy or something that you could win, many wouldn't mind.

I know you think it's no big deal for the director to just go online and switch the scoresheet, but it's something he just would rather not deal with.

Trust the vets that are telling you not to sweat the small stuff. I know you are new to the game and every point feels like a major accomplishment, but just let these things go. The hockey gods eventually even things out where you will get an assist for a goal you weren't even on the ice for, or will get a goal when the puck accidentally bounced off your back or something.
Well I'm not over here losing sleep over it...if the director doesn't want to do it that's fine. But it's definitely my prerogative to send a quick polite email about it. The way you talk it's like I was yelling in the locker room about it right after the game. Well... I wasn't, I didn't even know until I got home that it wasn't recorded. So I asked the captain. A vet. And he told me to email the director...so please get off your high horse. The points do matter to ME, and I won't apologize for that. It's a direct reflection of my contributions to the team and it feels good knowing I can see that.

do0glas is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
  #374
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Think what you want, but that **** is too expensive for me to be whatever about it. And I wasn't complaining to the director, I just told him my assist was missed what game it was and that our captain can vouch, since he got the goal off of it. It's my points and unless I tell someone it'll never get posted, so I don't really care if it annoys you, since it was just an email and I never said anything to the score keeper.
Lol

I hate players like you. Just have fun. It's beer league for christ sake.

Dubi Doo is online now  
Old
10-21-2012, 09:55 PM
  #375
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Well I'm not over here losing sleep over it...if the director doesn't want to do it that's fine. But it's definitely my prerogative to send a quick polite email about it. The way you talk it's like I was yelling in the locker room about it right after the game. Well... I wasn't, I didn't even know until I got home that it wasn't recorded. So I asked the captain. A vet. And he told me to email the director...so please get off your high horse. The points do matter to ME, and I won't apologize for that. It's a direct reflection of my contributions to the team and it feels good knowing I can see that.
I'm trying to help you out. It doesn't matter how polite you are about it. Most everyone finds it annoying when a guy is chasing the score sheet and making sure they get credit for everything.

I know how you feel. I'm a goalie. I can count on one hand the amount of times my save total has been correct in my 15 years of playing hockey. I've had games where I have stopped 60+ shots only to see the box score showing 22 shots against. It used to bother me, but I realized guys in my locker room would get annoyed when I would ask for the stat keeper to use the shot total our assistant coach kept which was always more accurate then the garbage the scorekeeper came up with while he spent half the game texting on his phone.

I know each point is worth it's weight in gold to you. But you don't want the stat ***** reputation. It's a tough rep to get rid of.

Beezeral is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.