HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
10-20-2012, 03:16 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread. You guys really lucked out. I said all year that Edmonton should draft a blue chip D, but you guys didn't have to. You got your forward and your defender.
How is it lucking out? Our blueline prospects are stacked so we addressed a need (who happened to be BPA by a mile) and then went hard after one of the top 3 free agents

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:31 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
good steal oilers
Fixed.

But life goes on. Schulz is Oiler now and that's it. Luckily we have Vatanen and Lindholm looking good for the system.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:39 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
How is it lucking out? Our blueline prospects are stacked so we addressed a need (who happened to be BPA by a mile) and then went hard after one of the top 3 free agents
Beyond Klefbom, how are you stacked? Marincin is decent but he hardly comprises of a group I'd call "stacked"

Forgot about Musil. He's good too, but these are like...middle of the pack defensive prospects. Not guys who are going to define a blueline one day.

Last edited by DuckJet: 10-20-2012 at 03:45 AM.
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:45 AM
airforceones25

Quote:
Beyond Klefbom, how are you stacked? Marincin is decent but he hardly comprises of a group I'd call "stacked"
Before they got Schultz a couple Oiler fans about blew their loads when it came to Marincin. They were telling me how much better he is than Schultz.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:54 AM
tiger_80

Quote:

Forgot about Musil. He's good too, but these are like...middle of the pack defensive prospects. Not guys who are going to define a blueline one day.
Smid, Petry already in the NHL.
Klefbom (top pairing potential)
Musil, Marincin, Gernat, Fedun (top 4 potential)
Teubert, Plante, Davidson (bottom pairing)

Add Schulz, and D prospect pool from an area of weakness becomes an area of strength.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:54 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Before they got Schultz a couple Oiler fans about blew their load when it came to Marincin. They were telling me how much better he is than Schultz.
That's funny. One guy tried to convince me that Smid was way better than...firstly Sbisa, then Schultz.

Old
10-20-2012, 04:01 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post

Add D prospect pool from an area of weakness becomes an area of strength.
Smid, Petry already in the NHL. > And on most bluelines they're 3rd or 4th d-men. Some teams they'd be on the third pairing.
Klefbom (top pairing potential) > We'll see, but yes the potential is there.
Musil, Marincin, Gernat, Fedun (top 4 potential) > Musil+Marincin on a second pairing sure, but that doesn't make them stellar additions the way Schultz was. They're building blocks. Not corner stones. Gernat to me is one dimensional...from what I've seen. Fedun? Dude should thank christ if he gets more than 50 NHL games.
Teubert, Plante, Davidson (bottom pairing) < don't hold your breath

It's a decent group. Nothing about it screams stacked though. Pittsburgh is stacked. Phoenix is stacked. Nashville is stacked. Those groups are strong. Edmonton is still basically middle of the pack.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Soundwave

I agree with DuckJet, even as an Oilers fan I can say we really lucked out big time this past spring.

Winning the lottery to be able to get Yakupov and then getting Schultz for basically free was a slam dunk.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Before they got Schultz a couple Oiler fans about blew their loads when it came to Marincin. They were telling me how much better he is than Schultz.
Marincin has looked pretty damn good so far this year actually. Yeah he's made some rookie mistakes (poor passes in the d-zone) but his offensive upside is nothing to scoff at, he's got a lot of range being 6'5" tall and a good skater, and he has a big shot. He needs to continue growing into his body and adding mass until he's at least 205-210lbs. and work out the junior parts of his game and he could well be a top 4 two way D for us. That said many that rated him over Schultz likely never seen Schultz play TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Smid, Petry already in the NHL.
Klefbom (top pairing potential)
Musil, Marincin, Gernat, Fedun (top 4 potential)
Teubert, Plante, Davidson (bottom pairing)

Add Schulz, and D prospect pool from an area of weakness becomes an area of strength.
As to the bolded, Fedun needs to get the explosiveness that he had pre injury or unfortunately IMO he will never be a top 4 D, maybe a bottom pairing guy, but not a top 4 D and not on our team as long as we have Schultz and Petry patrolling the right side. As for Plante, I don't see an NHL future for him TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Well, Lindholm and Vatanen are doing a good job of distracting us from the loss of Schultz. It also helps that we had Sbisa and Fowler on the team too. Anaheim might be one of the few teams that could lose a prospect like Schultz without it setting them back too much. It still sucks, but that's life.

We're pretty stoked with our scouting of late. Not just defensemen either, though they definitely stand out the most for us.
Quote:
^ Beat me to it. Swear to god I didn't even read your post.

Just like we were right about Jake Gardiner

Our rage is being mitigated by the stellar play of Vatanen and Lindholm. We add Sbisa and Fowler to that pair and it doesn't seem like the end of the world that he left.
I'm glad that your D is doing well as as much as I wanted us to land Schultz I still felt bad that you guys got nothing for his rights. Your D will be fine without him, but I'm sure that they would've loved the chance to at least trade him for his fair value.

10-20-2012, 08:56 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That he is, as is their Finn goalie.
Attakallio ?

I'd still go with Pickard though...

For those who have seen Schultz live, can he handle top 4 NHL minutes now ? Would he get those minutes elsewhere ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:56 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Marincin has looked pretty damn good so far this year actually. Yeah he's made some rookie mistakes (poor passes in the d-zone) but his offensive upside is nothing to scoff at, he's got a lot of range being 6'5" tall and a good skater, and he has a big shot. He needs to continue growing into his body and adding mass until he's at least 205-210lbs. and work out the junior parts of his game and he could well be a top 4 two way D for us. That said many that rated him over Schultz likely never seen Schultz play TBH.

As to the bolded, Fedun needs to get the explosiveness that he had pre injury or unfortunately IMO he will never be a top 4 D, maybe a bottom pairing guy, but not a top 4 D and not on our team as long as we have Schultz and Petry patrolling the right side. As for Plante, I don't see an NHL future for him TBH.

I'm glad that your D is doing well as as much as I wanted us to land Schultz I still felt bad that you guys got nothing for his rights. Your D will be fine without him, but I'm sure that they would've loved the chance to at least trade him for his fair value.
Don't feel too bad for them. Their prospect depth and the amount of good young talent is still incredibly deep. How many teams can boast goaltending prospects of Frederik Andersen and John Gibson; defensive guys like Lindholm, Sbisa, Fowler and Vatanen; and forward prospects like Rackell, Etem, Palmieri, Kerdiles, Smith-Pelley, Holland, etc.

They may have lost out on Schultz and Gardiner, but they have plenty of prospects who have risen in return.

Adding Schultz was huge for Edmonton, but they're still really lacking in quality defensive prospects. They have Klefbom and Marincin who both project as top 4 and Musil who is very defensive (almost Smid-like), but outside of them and maybe Gernat their pretty weak defensively amongst their young talent. Schultz improves this group a lot.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:59 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Don't feel too bad for them. Their prospect depth and the amount of good young talent is still incredibly deep. How many teams can boast goaltending prospects of Frederik Andersen and John Gibson; defensive guys like Lindholm, Sbisa, Fowler and Vatanen; and forward prospects like Rackell, Etem, Palmieri, Kerdiles, Smith-Pelley, Holland, etc.

They may have lost out on Schultz and Gardiner, but they have plenty of prospects who have risen in return.
They will always have the question...

What if ?

They'd be a lot better with those 2...

Old
10-20-2012, 09:10 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
They will always have the question...

What if ?

They'd be a lot better with those 2...
They would and they'd also have the ability to trade some to acquire help in another area, like was done when sending Gardiner for Beauchemin. Anaheim was really screwed by Schultz as he's the only reason they traded Jake, but it's hard to feel too sorry for them because of the depth and skill they still retain. It sucks for Anaheim, but they'll be fine. Lindholm (by the sounds of it) is looking like a fantastic pick and drafting Andersen and Fowler where they did was also a stroke of genius/luck. They'll be fine.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:14 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
They would and they'd also have the ability to trade some to acquire help in another area, like was done when sending Gardiner for Beauchemin. Anaheim was really screwed by Schultz as that's the only reason they would have traded Jake, but it's hard to feel too sorry for them because of the depth and skill they still retain. It sucks for Anaheim, but they'll be fine. Lindholm (by the sounds of it) is looking like a fantastic pick and drafting Andersen and Fowler where they did was also a stroke of genius/luck. They'll be fine.
Andersen could be solid, not sure if he can be a starter... Right now I think 1B...

Lindholm and Fowler were the BPA's and Fowler falling was unbelievable.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:18 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Andersen could be solid, not sure if he can be a starter... Right now I think 1B...

Lindholm and Fowler were the BPA's and Fowler falling was unbelievable.
Well, they've won a few more than they've lost. I really think Andersen will be a good goalie in this league. His combination of size and skill is unreal for a goalie and he's absolutely dominated the last 4 years (3 in Denmark and 1 in Sweden). For a 23 year old goalie he has quite an impressive résumé. Check out his save % and GGA the last few years. Just unreal numbers for a big goalie who was 19-22.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15205

Old
10-20-2012, 09:39 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

He was dominant his year in Frolunda... He's got potential... He's a late bloomer:

Old
10-20-2012, 10:37 AM
frag2

Quote:
Not even remotely the same. There is no denying Schultz talents. There is also no denying he is still a ******!
And you won a cup so cry me a river. Teams would kill just to have their names engraved on the cup just once. Can't believe so petty still over something that a) they didn't develop and b) was well within the CBA

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:18 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Not even remotely the same. There is no denying Schultz talents. There is also no denying he is still a ******!
Ya your right Pronger signed a long term contract with the Oilers and had an obligation to the Oilers. Schultz had no contract and didnt want to sign with a team that drafted him that he had no obligation to do so with.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:26 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I agree with DuckJet, even as an Oilers fan I can say we really lucked out big time this past spring.

Winning the lottery to be able to get Yakupov and then getting Schultz for basically free was a slam dunk.
Agreed. Smid led the Oilers in goals from the back end last season.. Got some great D prospects, but no one with even close to the offensive potential Schultz has. Hes a huge piece.

Its very rare for a blue chip prospect to become a UFA, and for him to have picked the Oilers over almost every team in the NHL is lucky as hell.

The only way it could have worked out better for the Oilers is if Yakupov was a center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
And you won a cup so cry me a river. Teams would kill just to have their names engraved on the cup just once. Can't believe so petty still over something that a) they didn't develop and b) was well within the CBA

He has every right to be unhappy about the situation. Ducks got screwed.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

good to see him do well but man, are theDucks great at drafting gems or what?

over the last four years, they have had some pretty good players coming out of later rounds(mainly from 2nd - 4th rounders). I would easily put them at up there as one of the best in terms of drafting.

Schultz, DSP, Vatanen, Gibson are all players with star-calibre potential.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
That's funny. One guy tried to convince me that Smid was way better than...firstly Sbisa, then Schultz.
Smid is clearly better than both right now. In fact, he is one of the most underrated defensemen in the game.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:59 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Smid is clearly better than both right now. In fact, he is one of the most underrated defensemen in the game.
nice to see some fans around the league showing Laddy respect. The is going to be a lot of uninformed LOL/OMG! when he signs his new extension in the next year.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:28 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Ya your right Pronger signed a long term contract with the Oilers and had an obligation to the Oilers. Schultz had no contract and didnt want to sign with a team that drafted him that he had no obligation to do so with.
How dense are you people?

There is a huge difference. Yes it sucked for Oiler fans about Pronger we understand. However, in the case of Pronger you were able to shop him for assets. You received Smid, Lupul and picks what amounted to Jordan Eberle.

That is a far cry from the big fat zero Anaheim received for Schultz. Sure he is free to leave as he did with the CBA loophole. Anaheim fans aren't crying foul about that. We are upset that it cost us a 2nd round pick that we will never regain. What really pisses off Anaheim fans is that Schultz essentially lied right to managements face. This is where the hate for the kid stems from Anaheim's perspective. He looks straight into GM Bob Murray's face and tells him I can't wait to play for you at seasons end. Obviously somewhere in between the young man changed his mind which is totally fine and allowed to do so. However, when Ducks brass repeatedly spoke with him he refused to acknowledge his unwillingness to sign with the team which effectively held the Ducks hostage. He could have stated i've changed my mind and I would like to sign elsewhere( Hell he could even gave a list of teams ). Instead he continually left them on the hook.

So not only are Ducks fans upset that we lost a 2nd round pick for nothing. We also had the kid lie straight to our GM's face. If he wasn't lying and simply changed his mind great. However, it was the immature process in failing to notify the team as they continually speak to you and you just go along with it with an ulterior motive. Then if that wasn't bad enough for Anaheim fans, we have to sit through a summer where we just watched the kid spurn us for nothing as he puts on some stupid "LeBron Decision" like he's better than everyone.

The kid is the ultimate ****** in Anaheim's eyes. We never have disputed his talents and we know how potentially great he is. Anaheim fans have been telling people for years only to have it fall on deaf ears. Regardless the talents the kid will always be ****** in our eyes for his pathetic shenanigans he pulled. So I reiterate to Oiler fans, Pronger and Schultz isn't even remotely close. You received assets in return. Anaheim received a giant slap in the face!

The only thing remotely close to this from an Oiler perspective would be the Riley Nash case. Drafted and refused to sign. However in the case of Nash he let the Oilers know he wouldn't sign and ultimately it allowed the Oilers to flip him for a pick. Anaheim just gets bent over plain and simple. We will never see anything in return.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Kershaw

Pronger asked for a trade RIGHT after the team lost in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. That's the most classless thing you can do to your franchise, especially when you're the team's franchise player. Did Ducks fans forgive Kariya for bailing out on them?

The return in the trade softened the blow now since they got some good building blocks, but at the time of the trade, it was pure robbery by the Ducks. They got the best defenseman in the game for futures.

Last edited by Kershaw: 10-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote