HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

vCash: 500
when was the last time a 33 year old goalie fetched anything remotely close to what nucks fans are asking? a 1st and one of kadri/gardiner/kulemin is simply unrealistic. goalies don't hold that kind of value on the trade market, let alone in situations like this where there's only one team willing and able to absorb such a large contract.

i'm of the opinion this all stems from most canucks fans blind hatred of all things toronto. they view getting a kings ransom for their back up goalie as some kind of moral victory in their non existent rivalry with toronto. hillarious!

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:50 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Bozak + Rights to Franson + 2012 2nd
Not enough in my opinion. Not sure the rights to Franson are worth very much. Maybe if he was already signed to a cheap 3 year contract. Then again if Franson is not good enough to deserve a contract with the Leafs he's probably not worth much signed or unsigned.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:51 AM
MapleReef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
I think so too. It does not solve the goalie situation but we keep or top prospects. But it likely means no playoff again which is disappointing. If one of Reimer/Scrievens turn out to be genuine #1 then that would be the best course of action. If both of them fail then the Leafs have the same problem next year with even more pressure to land a #1 and will likely have to give up more assets to get a #1.
I would still love Luongo as a Leaf but only for a salary swap or secondary pieces....no roster player should move though.

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
canucks fans be crazy if they think anyone will give them anything close to what they expect in terms of value.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:56 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
when was the last time a 33 year old goalie fetched anything remotely close to what nucks fans are asking? a 1st and one of kadri/gardiner/kulemin is simply unrealistic. goalies don't hold that kind of value on the trade market, let alone in situations like this where there's only one team willing and able to absorb such a large contract.

i'm of the opinion this all stems from most canucks fans blind hatred of all things toronto. they view getting a kings ransom for their back up goalie as some kind of moral victory in their non existent rivalry with toronto. hillarious!
Fair enough but top goalies don't often get traded. I do think a 1st and Gardiner is a bit much. Since Kadri has not proven to be a sure thing, a 1st and Kadri or a 1st and Bozak would be more realistic. But please, let's stop proposing to package garbage, 2nd round picks to land Luongo, it will not happen.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:56 AM
TorMapleJays

riots in the streets of van city when Lou gets traded for colborne, Mac and a 2nd.

Roberto..... Does not want to play in Vancover.

Is this difficult to understand?

TorMapleJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:58 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleReef View Post
I would still love Luongo as a Leaf but only for a salary swap or secondary pieces....no roster player should move though.
This would of course be ideal but it will not happen. Secondary pieces from the current Leafs squad don't even make in Vancouver's lineup.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:00 AM
TorMapleJays

Quote:
This would of course be ideal but it will not happen. Secondary pieces from the current Leafs squad don't even make in Vancouver's lineup.
maybe they dont really have any holes they want filled. maybe they want future players because their window of winning is getting slammed shut. especially after trading Lou and going with a unproven goaltender with no saftey net

Old
10-20-2012, 08:02 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMapleJays View Post
riots in the streets of van city when Lou gets traded for colborne, Mac and a 2nd.

Roberto..... Does not want to play in Vancover.

Is this difficult to understand?
Nope, quite easy to understand Luongo wants out of Vancouver. I think Colborne, Mac and a 1st could get the deal done and would not be that bad for the Leafs. I don't think Colborne will pan out and Mac can be replaced by some of our younger guys.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:04 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
maybe they dont really have any holes they want filled. maybe they want future players because their window of winning is getting slammed shut. especially after trading Lou and going with a unproven goaltender with no saftey net
Then you have to give up a 1st round pick.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:04 AM
K19

I think anyone who wants to trade another 1st for Luongo is off their rocker.

K19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:05 AM
TorMapleJays

Quote:
Nope, quite easy to understand Luongo wants out of Vancouver. I think Colborne, Mac and a 1st could get the deal done and would not be that bad for the Leafs. I don't think Colborne will pan out and Mac can be replaced by some of our younger guys.
Colborne is a 1st round
Mac is a 2nd round 20 goal scorer who is on the right side of 30,
and another first round pick

for a 1st round pick 19 years ago?

if you could pull this off, I would hire you for my nhl franchise

Old
10-20-2012, 08:07 AM
TorMapleJays

Quote:
Colborne is a 1st round
Mac is a 2nd round 20 goal scorer who is on the right side of 30,
and another first round pick

for a 1st round pick 19 years ago?

if you could pull this off, I would hire you for my nhl franchise
I would want a prospect center if you require a 1st round pick

Old
10-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Then you have to give up a 1st round pick.
We won't be giving up a first for Luongo. Nor will we give up Kadri. It's not "hopeful" thinking, it's just logic.

You have a 33 year old goalie, signed until what? 42? He's overpaid and has essentially been run out of town. Right now, he's the backup.

MacArthur, Franson/Bozak and a 2nd. Is the MOST we will give up.

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Four1 Lead
Virtanen at 8.

Vancouver fans demanding Gardiner, Kadri, Rielly or a 1st for Luongo are nuts.

I can't believe their rationale. Lunacy.

They should be ecstatic if we give them Reimer, Ashton and a 3rd.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
everything depends on what the cba looks like. if its status quo or changes so the hit stays with his team post retirement, his value will be low. If it changes to his hit staying with the team he signed the contract with then his value will be high.
Absolutely, the CBA is the big factor and will ultimately determine his trade value however I still have a lot of misgivings about him and would only trade a high cap eating player like Komisarek, Lombardi or Connolly and possibly a 2nd., any more than that and I think its over payment.

Burke has said very little about Luongo and ultimately he makes the call, if anything is going down, I think he may be waiting to see what the CBA looks like when it is finally agreed on.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Say it again, Luongo's contract really only goes till he is 38, the way Brodeur and Thomas have played into their mid and late 30's it really isn't a bad contract when you add on the bogus years on the end.

If Leafs trade for Lu, Reimer may be done in Toronto. Lu should be good for another 5 years till he hits 38, Reimer if he ever becomes a number 1 should be ready in a year or 2.

Also said Burke is going to be very busy this year, this will be his second big move reshaping the team, obviously, for most Goaltending is the most important position in hockey, you simply cannot win without it. With that out of the way Burke can concentrate on reshaping the top 6, the D is coming in the form of Rielly, Finn, Percy.

My model, 2 stud D's and a franchise goalie, and you should have a competitive team. Add some quality top 6 fwds by addition by subtraction and this thing can turnaround in a blink of an eye.

Repost from closed thread

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
The Canucks could be stuck with Luongo should the CBA turn up where the cap hit stays even if he retires.

The only way I take him is if that is taken out OR the part where the cap hit returns to the team that signed him should he retire stays IN.

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Vancouver fans demanding Gardiner, Kadri, Rielly or a 1st for Luongo are nuts.

I can't believe their rationale. Lunacy.

They should be ecstatic if we give them Reimer, Ashton and a 3rd.
Ignore them, all they are getting is Grabo + secondary prospect, or Bozak and a secondary prospect+a contract dump, or Burke will walk. Now if Reimer is included, the deal expands and brings in more variables.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I would trade

Bozak + MacArthur + Franson.

That is more than fair.

I would immediately call up Kadri and Komarov

Lupul - Connolly - Kessel
Kadri - Grabo - JVR
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel - Brown

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:35 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

What fortune did Luongo fetch last time he was available? Surely he had considerably more value then than now.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I would trade

Bozak + MacArthur + Franson.

That is more than fair.

I would immediately call up Kadri and Komarov

Lupul - Connolly - Kessel
Kadri - Grabo - JVR
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel - Brown
I doubt Gillis wants or needs Franson or Macarthur. They have better options in Raymond, Hansen, Higgins on the wing already, and Garrison is their PP D man signing. Can't see it. They do need a good 3C, Bozak maybe, but if I were Gillis I would go with Grabo and plug him in with Raymond and Hansen. There's the 3rd line that Vancouver could have used in the playoffs last year. This is their biggest hole on their roster with the Hodgson trade.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:47 AM
TorMapleJays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I doubt Gillis wants or needs Franson or Macarthur. They have better options in Raymond, Hansen, Higgins on the wing already, and Garrison is their PP D man signing. Can't see it. They do need a good 3C, Bozak maybe, but if I were Gillis I would go with Grabo and plug him in with Raymond and Hansen. There's the 3rd line that Vancouver could have used in the playoffs last year. This is their biggest hole on their roster with the Hodgson trade.

Grabbo is our best centermen. its also our weakest position, thru and thru. Wingers and dmen are our strength. dont see it happening.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Going to be Gillis for a moment, looking at what the Leafs have to offer, if Lu only has 2 teams on his list to go to. Vancouver needs, a significant upgrade a 3C and depth on D for a cup run.

Leafs have this to offer, if I were Gillis I would really be enticed to do a deal, of Grabo and Gunnarson for Luongo.

Capwise, it fits like a glove, more importantly these 2 players would fit into Vancouver's roster without moving anyone off the current roster. Gunnarson's low caphit this season is miniscule and he would be an easy plug in with Edler. Grabo moves right in between Hansen and Raymond, this should be a formidable 3rd line in a long playoff run.

Leafs get the goalie they need, shed some salary, do not lose any prospects as Burke has maintained he would not mortgage the future for Lu. And both are not catastophic losses to the team moving fwd.

This deal makes the most sense to me. A win win, neither team fleeces the other, and that is what most deals are, win wins for both teams.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Grabbo is our best centermen. its also our weakest position, thru and thru. Wingers and dmen are our strength. dont see it happening.
Can Grabo play goal?