HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 11:21 PM
WhadaIknow

vCash: 500
Never thought that my previous post/comment (Oct 13, 2012) would affect this thread, so positively and negatively…

Positive: Thanks to all who agreed and/or posted feedback (on the forum and private messages)
The “childish/ill-informed comments and banter’ have totally subsided. Recent comments have been insightful and positive…yet a maybe a bit safe….

Negative: Where are all the die-hard CJHL/CCHL fans and posters/commentators - The good/bad/ugly/real supporting and promoting your fav. teams?
My buddies just told me I have hindered (maybe ruined) this thread with my realistic post….apparently it has (temporarily suppressed the followers and/or what you really want to “express” -- PLEASE do not do this! SHARE your thought/critics/ideas..

I will create the next post
: one for my thougth/compliments and perhaps a bit of good old fashion contoversy......

Let's get this post back on track; full of posts (comments, stats, info, crtiques and promtion of your favourite team!)

Look forward to viewing each day.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:06 AM
WhadaIknow

League is so close....what/who drive a team to lead?

Facts & Open for Discussion and Opposing Opinions
Since my post Oct 13 and up until 11 pm Oct 18 I noticed:
CCHL League activity:
• There have been only total 22 posts on this thread
• 13 league games have occurred in the last 6 days
• Very few posts or nothing regarding all/any of the games – teams, players, goalies, coaches, 3 star selection (appearing now to be political), quality of refs and….who is doing well or needs to excel…

WHERE ARE ALL THE POSTERS (from the last 2 months)???
Online Game Coverage:
• How about the “somewhat subpar” new online FAST HOCKEY broadcasting for league games…that is not cheap?
o For some games at certain rinks…Can you say…”bring the “%$#*” camera down off the ceiling and capture the game/the nice passes or amazing saves that the announcers stated; which online viewers have no clue because we only get a shot of the lighting or roof of the arena?
o The video teams and game announcers (doing the best they can, at/with each arena) perhaps need to be supported/trained/paid by FAST HOCKEY to insure a great viewer experience. They are making $; what are they doing for our league to make viewer experience (at the very least) enjoyable???
3 Stars per Game: Question: who determines the 3 stars per game?
• Is this a home arena task, refs, point tabulator or a fan?
• How is a player chosen; when he has not really scored or majorly contributed to the game?
• Conversely: how does a goalie who had 20 shots (forget saves) get 1 of the 3 stars (maybe deserving), but a goalie on another team consistently takes 30-40-50+ shots and does not get recognized????
There has been 2_3 goalies that have endured a 50+ shots/game....should these guys not be recognized??

Your Thoughts?
Come on guys/ladies……lets get this thread going!
How about the game Wed Ottawa vs. Kanata? Thoughts?
o Kanata came out with drive; struggled 2nd period and majorly screwed their goalie in the 2nd and 3rd with a lack of focus/drive and way too many/all penalties in the 3)
o Brandon Lane (Kan) was spectacular; facing 57 shots: with having 1 -3 of his team in the box vonsiste4ntly throughout the game
o Charlie Millen ( Ott)was working hard, but had a tough night and saw 20 shots and gave up 6
o Ottawa appeared to have the more physically conditioned team with a drive to win with a lower ranking team
[]After the 1st, they seem to jump start their entire game plan and resources – by far the better all around better team
o Kanata was out of their comfort level with OJS after the 1st period….Kanata’s goalie save the day: standing on his head and attempted to make up for the Kanata defense weakness and needless team penalties with 57 shots and enduring 1/3 of the game short handed.
Ottawa looked to be the stronger; the more conditioned team during the 2nd and 3rd periods

Some Wacky things occurring in a tight league:
Pembroke takes Cumberland with the 8-1 win
Gouchester defeats SmithFalls 5-3
Brockville over Cumberland 7-1
Kanata upsets Ottawa 6-5 (should have been 6-3)
Nepaen sets the stakes with Kempville 7 - 2

Last edited by WhadaIknow: 10-19-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old
10-19-2012, 07:14 AM
hardfacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the Boards View Post
PLK was handed the game on a silver platter by the refs in Cornwall. What a joke, things never change (7 no calls and a call with 10 seconds left in 3rd to send the Colts down a man in OT when their player did the same thing at the same time with no call, the Kings 5th goal also came at the expense of an obvious call on our player ).

On a brighter side Piccolino made the save of the game perhaps the save of year (yeah I know a little early for that yet)

Michael Ponterelli has accepted an offer to attend Union College in Shectady New York for the 2013 year, Congrats Michael.
Speaking of Cornwall.....the senoir team seems to be really hurting the colts fans base....they are getting over 1900 fans a game....colts are down to 600 most nights....seems the fans like senior hockey...or they just love Al wager who is owner of senior team...and former owner of colts.....hope this does not hurt the colts....come on fans get out to the games!

Old
10-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Look for a new player in the Nepean lineup shortly - a soon as this weekend. Should help them.
Not much help.....border line guy at best.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:27 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Look for a new player in the Nepean lineup shortly - a soon as this weekend. Should help them.
Via trade or signing?

Old
10-19-2012, 08:33 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Not much help.....border line guy at best.
I said he should help - not revolutionize hockey. If you look at the guys being picked up randomly in this league, he definitely has something to offer.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
I said he should help - not revolutionize hockey. If you look at the guys being picked up randomly in this league, he definitely has something to offer.
Who are you talking about

Old
10-19-2012, 10:40 AM
BackBringCam

This stage of the season with minimal points between first and last, not sure if I'd use "upset" to describe any wins/losses

Old
10-19-2012, 11:23 AM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post
This stage of the season with minimal points between first and last, not sure if I'd use "upset" to describe any wins/losses
Agreed....1st through 6th separeated by 2 bloody points!! Can't remember a time when a league was this tight!

Old
10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhadaIknow View Post
Facts & Open for Discussion and Opposing Opinions
Since my post Oct 13 and up until 11 pm Oct 18 I noticed:
CCHL League activity:
• There have been only total 22 posts on this thread
• 13 league games have occurred in the last 6 days
• Very few posts or nothing regarding all/any of the games – teams, players, goalies, coaches, 3 star selection (appearing now to be political), quality of refs and….who is doing well or needs to excel…

WHERE ARE ALL THE POSTERS (from the last 2 months)???
Online Game Coverage:
• How about the “somewhat subpar” new online FAST HOCKEY broadcasting for league games…that is not cheap?
o For some games at certain rinks…Can you say…”bring the “%$#*” camera down off the ceiling and capture the game/the nice passes or amazing saves that the announcers stated; which online viewers have no clue because we only get a shot of the lighting or roof of the arena?
o The video teams and game announcers (doing the best they can, at/with each arena) perhaps need to be supported/trained/paid by FAST HOCKEY to insure a great viewer experience. They are making $; what are they doing for our league to make viewer experience (at the very least) enjoyable???
3 Stars per Game: Question: who determines the 3 stars per game?
• Is this a home arena task, refs, point tabulator or a fan?
• How is a player chosen; when he has not really scored or majorly contributed to the game?
• Conversely: how does a goalie who had 20 shots (forget saves) get 1 of the 3 stars (maybe deserving), but a goalie on another team consistently takes 30-40-50+ shots and does not get recognized????
There has been 2_3 goalies that have endured a 50+ shots/game....should these guys not be recognized??

Your Thoughts?
Come on guys/ladies……lets get this thread going!
How about the game Wed Ottawa vs. Kanata? Thoughts?
o Kanata came out with drive; struggled 2nd period and majorly screwed their goalie in the 2nd and 3rd with a lack of focus/drive and way too many/all penalties in the 3)
o Brandon Lane (Kan) was spectacular; facing 57 shots: with having 1 -3 of his team in the box vonsiste4ntly throughout the game
o Charlie Millen ( Ott)was working hard, but had a tough night and saw 20 shots and gave up 6
o Ottawa appeared to have the more physically conditioned team with a drive to win with a lower ranking team
[]After the 1st, they seem to jump start their entire game plan and resources – by far the better all around better team
o Kanata was out of their comfort level with OJS after the 1st period….Kanata’s goalie save the day: standing on his head and attempted to make up for the Kanata defense weakness and needless team penalties with 57 shots and enduring 1/3 of the game short handed.
Ottawa looked to be the stronger; the more conditioned team during the 2nd and 3rd periods

Some Wacky things occurring in a tight league:
Pembroke takes Cumberland with the 8-1 win
Gouchester defeats SmithFalls 5-3
Brockville over Cumberland 7-1
Kanata upsets Ottawa 6-5 (should have been 6-3)
Nepaen sets the stakes with Kempville 7 - 2
You can't take to heart any of the shot totals from the CCHL....I've seen games where it was said that there were 50 shots and maybe, maybe there were 30-35 directed at the net. It is not uncommon for a teams volunteers to find or lose a few shots on any given night to assist their teams tender or to lower the visiting teams tender's SA%....I've had conversations with a few lads that work the box and their ideas of what constitutes a shot vary as widely as you can imagine.

I also believe that it is the lads that work the time keepers box that pick the 3 stars, and although they might be great volunteers, I have found that their hockey knowledge goes as far as what number they see the most on the game sheet. Some nights are baffling to say the least when it comes to 3 stars in this league.

That being said, AMEN for the volunteers of every team....without them the league would be sunk!

Old
10-19-2012, 11:55 AM
specialteams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCritic View Post
You can't take to heart any of the shot totals from the CCHL....I've seen games where it was said that there were 50 shots and maybe, maybe there were 30-35 directed at the net. It is not uncommon for a teams volunteers to find or lose a few shots on any given night to assist their teams tender or to lower the visiting teams tender's SA%....I've had conversations with a few lads that work the box and their ideas of what constitutes a shot vary as widely as you can imagine.

I also believe that it is the lads that work the time keepers box that pick the 3 stars, and although they might be great volunteers, I have found that their hockey knowledge goes as far as what number they see the most on the game sheet. Some nights are baffling to say the least when it comes to 3 stars in this league.

That being said, AMEN for the volunteers of every team....without them the league would be sunk!
You hit the nail on the head, volunteer driven league in almost every regard. For sure there's some discrepancy with the level of knowledge regarding shots and POG awards. The 3 stars is very subjective as I think it is the scorekeepers - not always about points what about a d-man who shuts down a top player?? The D tend to get overlooked because the guys are looking at scoresheet or a goalie who has a huge night!

Even the Fasthockey broadcasts, I haven't seen many but once again most leverage the Algonquin College broadcasting or other key volunteers. I hear there are some teams conducting interviews during intermissions it would be great if more would do it instead of a still camera while zamboni cleans the ice. Everyone is doing their best with the resources or lack thereof. Always going to get people complaining and all good if constructive.

Loving the hockey on the ice, the parity is great, have to come to play every night or you will get beat. Everyone playing tonight, not sure where I'm going some great match-ups. Who needs the NHL, catch some future stars take in some jr hockey!!

Old
10-19-2012, 02:57 PM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardfacts View Post
Speaking of Cornwall.....the senoir team seems to be really hurting the colts fans base....they are getting over 1900 fans a game....colts are down to 600 most nights....seems the fans like senior hockey...or they just love Al wager who is owner of senior team...and former owner of colts.....hope this does not hurt the colts....come on fans get out to the games!
The RiverKings will be exciting to watch. The opening game is Saturday night. It should be a big crowd.

The RiverKings will experience a honeymoon period. There will be people that gravitate to this League and others will prefer the CCHL. Some will attend both.

Time will tell if the RiverKings have a long term negative impact on the Colts fan base.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:08 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Ah.....is it Brandon Belding joining Nepean form the Gatineau O's. I don't know the kid, 0 points in the Q, and 0 pts. as a Ap last year with Nepean. His timing could be good though, although Nepeans top guns have had good starts, Norris, neil & Hedges, Nepean has had a hard time adding forwards. Maclean did'nt come back, Yarwood broke his foot, Herlihey injured, three american forwards decided to go home. I think he could get a chance in Nepean.

Old
10-19-2012, 04:05 PM
voiceofytown

Brett Costello traded from Hawkesbury to Smith Falls.

Old
10-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
Ah.....is it Brandon Belding joining Nepean form the Gatineau O's. I don't know the kid, 0 points in the Q, and 0 pts. as a Ap last year with Nepean. His timing could be good though, although Nepeans top guns have had good starts, Norris, neil & Hedges, Nepean has had a hard time adding forwards. Maclean did'nt come back, Yarwood broke his foot, Herlihey injured, three american forwards decided to go home. I think he could get a chance in Nepean.
I see they released the 20 year old defense that injured his knee, must be done for the season, I always feel bad for kids that finish that way.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
CJHL FAN

Was this the last game for Pat Malloy as coach for the 73's? They have been badly out scored in the last 4 games. Will Tugnutt take over? It would be good for the league to get anothe ex NHL player as a coach in the league.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Off the Boards

Cornwall tried to make a trade within the league, with nobody interested so they went outside to Milton (OJHL) and got defenseman Jason Suvak (6'4, 220 , '92) from Cleveland for a PDF. He is considered a defensive defensemen with a little bit of grit. The Colts needed some experience on the back end.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:43 AM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHL FAN View Post
Was this the last game for Pat Malloy as coach for the 73's? They have been badly out scored in the last 4 games. Will Tugnutt take over? It would be good for the league to get anothe ex NHL player as a coach in the league.
Apparently Mr. Malloy is a part owner of the team. It could be difficult replacing or firing the head coach and GM. Perhaps ?

Old
10-20-2012, 01:47 AM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the Boards View Post
Cornwall tried to make a trade within the league, with nobody interested so they went outside to Milton (OJHL) and got defenseman Jason Suvak (6'4, 220 , '92) from Cleveland for a PDF. He is considered a defensive defensemen with a little bit of grit. The Colts needed some experience on the back end.
It is a start. Cornwall finally has some size. The back end needs some work to help out the goalies.

#10 McGuire was pushing and shoving everyone on the ice except for Suvak. And when challenged, McGuire wanted nothing to do with the newest Colt.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Off the Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
It is a start. Cornwall finally has some size. The back end needs some work to help out the goalies.

#10 McGuire was pushing and shoving everyone on the ice except for Suvak. And when challenged, McGuire wanted nothing to do with the newest Colt.
Sheehan Kirkwood (D) who is bigger @ 6'3.5 and 230 lbs but younger and who is still adjusting to the league is out injured with a knee injury was not physical enough during his games for Cornwall.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Apparently Mr. Malloy is a part owner of the team. It could be difficult replacing or firing the head coach and GM. Perhaps ?
That is false, he is not part owner.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
That is false, he is not part owner every newspaper article written has always stated that only Tugnutt and Thompson are owners.

The major problem area for this team has been between the pipes, if you look at the shots they have allowed they have not been outshot and if it has by very little....

Old
10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
workforce

Quote:
That is false, he is not part owner every newspaper article written has always stated that only Tugnutt and Thompson are owners.

The major problem area for this team has been between the pipes, if you look at the shots they have allowed they have not been outshot and if it has by very little....
To pin the team's poor performance on two goalies is laughable. Win as a team, lose as a team.

Management has believed that "imports" is the answer... six "import" forwards have played 62 games and have 11 points between them is disastrous... while trading away Rosebrook and Adams, who have 31 points between them.

The goaltenders have one Dman in front of them who could play top 4 on a top 6 team. Case in point BrindA'Mour... look at his GAA last year vs. this year. His talent and value was squandered.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by workforce View Post
To pin the team's poor performance on two goalies is laughable. Win as a team, lose as a team.

Management has believed that "imports" is the answer... six "import" forwards have played 62 games and have 11 points between them is disastrous... while trading away Rosebrook and Adams, who have 31 points between them.

The goaltenders have one Dman in front of them who could play top 4 on a top 6 team. Case in point BrindA'Mour... look at his GAA last year vs. this year. His talent and value was squandered.
I said major problem, which is my opinion, not only problem. When you out shoot or match shots and still lose big it is a problem.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:20 AM
eddyshack

Quote:
That is false, he is not part owner.
Well that is a surprise and I don't understand.

You were part of the discussions early in the season when a poster was adamant that Mr. Malloy was in fact a part owner.

Closed Thread