HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cherry Likes Habs Additions - Predicts Playoffs

Old
10-20-2012, 04:12 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
I am making a prediction,” Cherry said. “Colby Armstrong will be the most popular player in Montreal, even with a name like Colby Armstrong.”
Would be interesting if that's the case.

Cherry has never been that impressed by the way Burke has done things in Toronto, he was hoping to truculance but Burke never did that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:48 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
He'd only say that if he knew there wouldn't be a season.
Oh, well see you in 2013...

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Don Cherry is a certified moron. He has been around the game forever but doesn't have a clue how to play it. He may as well be wearing a rubber nose and some clown shoes while giving his opinion.

It is always nice to hear good things about your team but the crazy cat lady two doors down has as much credibility as Cherry.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:11 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Don Cherry is a certified moron. He has been around the game forever but doesn't have a clue how to play it. He may as well be wearing a rubber nose and some clown shoes while giving his opinion.

It is always nice to hear good things about your team but the crazy cat lady two doors down has as much credibility as Cherry.
You couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not a fan of him but he knows his stuff and has decades of experience and to dismiss his history with hockey when he's been literally INFINITELY more experienced with pro-hockey than you is disrespectful at best, moronic at worst.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:04 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

I'm not a fan of him but he knows his stuff and has decades of experience and to dismiss his history with hockey when he's been literally INFINITELY more experienced with pro-hockey than you is disrespectful at best, moronic at worst.
Except one thing, we've been hearing Don at the beginning of every season the past 5-6 years getting pumped up about how "this is the year" that the Leafs make the playoffs.

So much for that credibility

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:49 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
That's clearly a different Beaulieu that I know of.
Listed at 6'3, 191 lbs on Hockey's Future and Hockey Database, 6'2 194 lbs on the Bulldogs website. So he's around 6'2 or 6'3.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:36 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He's right 100%. Markov is the key. Gauthier took a huge gamble assuming Markov would be ready to go without finding a replacement. Such a shame. Had he not been injured at the start of last year the season would probably have unfolded much differently. People forgot how good Markov really was. Having a true numbr one d-man on a team changes the dynamics completely. Markov was our best player.
It amazing how things unfold. Had Markov not been injured we might have been just good enough to make the playoffs or maybe fall just short. Had that happened we would likely not have Bergevin in charge and certainly wouldn't have been able to draft the players we did this year.

Indirectly, Markov's injury may have resulted in a total revamp of the organization... something that was absolutely necessary if the team was ever going to rise above mediocrity.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:48 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Except one thing, we've been hearing Don at the beginning of every season the past 5-6 years getting pumped up about how "this is the year" that the Leafs make the playoffs.

So much for that credibility
So what? He's a fan of the Leafs and the Bruins. He likes Canadian players and doesn't like dirty play or diving.

He has tons of more experience, infinitely more credibility and a much keener sense of how hockey works than ANYBODY on hfboards and especially anybody criticizing him by saying that "Cherry is a certified moron."

Show some respect, it's Don friggin Cherry.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:11 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
So what? He's a fan of the Leafs and the Bruins. He likes Canadian players and doesn't like dirty play or diving.

He has tons of more experience, infinitely more credibility and a much keener sense of how hockey works than ANYBODY on hfboards and especially anybody criticizing him by saying that "Cherry is a certified moron."

Show some respect, it's Don friggin Cherry.
What has Don Cherry accomplished that necessitates others showing him respect right off the bat? And even if he did merit our respect, it doesn't preclude him from criticism.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:04 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What has Don Cherry accomplished that necessitates others showing him respect right off the bat? And even if he did merit our respect, it doesn't preclude him from criticism.
His decades of experience in hockey, playing, coaching and analysis. He has more experience playing and coaching hockey than any person on HFboards - and regarding hockey analysis that gives him the edge. Asking for respect doesn't imply that he's immune from criticism - it just means that you can't call him a certified moron when you're a snot-nosed HFboarder.

Come on now.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:54 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
His decades of experience in hockey, playing, coaching and analysis. He has more experience playing and coaching hockey than any person on HFboards - and regarding hockey analysis that gives him the edge. Asking for respect doesn't imply that he's immune from criticism - it just means that you can't call him a certified moron when you're a snot-nosed HFboarder.

Come on now.
You can be a moron and still have tons of experience in something. What accolades does he even have in the hockey community? He's more well known for his retarded suit jackets than for ever displaying some sort of acute hockey knowledge. I'm not even going into the over-the-top nationalism and xenophobia he displays. Just covering the area of hockey, he's never done or said anything that would necessarily garner my respect. Perhaps he doesn't deserve over the top disrespect. To be honest, I feel he's better off ignored.

As for posters on HF, it's not like there's some majority of hockey savants here, and no one is claiming otherwise, but I'll take opinions on players from posters such as Whitesnake, Habsprospects, Grant Mccagg, Habsfan18, Crimson Skorpion, Hototogisu, Buddahsmoka, Andy, WeThreeKings, That, BoucherScouting, or TalksWithGoalposts over those of Don Cherry any day of the week. And there are a few in there I disagree with on many points, but their checklist for what makes a good player goes beyond:

1) keeps head up
2) goes into corners
3) southern ontario

edit: and I probably forgot a few great posters. I'm still hopped up on sleeping pills.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Don Cherry is probably the only pundit on tv or radio that could make a living betting on hockey games. It's one thing I take note of, whether what they say comes to pass or not.

However, he has been fading the last couple of years due to age.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:12 PM
yoyo999

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Hope to god Tinordi is ready soon.
A year maybe 2 in the AHL. Was at the game last night vs. marlies, he looks a little lost and needs to fill his frame. Nathan Beaulieu will be ready before imo.

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Come on now.
What hockey knowledge Cherry does have - and he does have plenty, is tainted by an irrational bias for a certain type of hockey and xenophobia, to such a degree he has very little credibility. He's entertaining in small doses and if anything his opinions are actually thought out in interviews like this as opposed to coaches corner where his character comes before what he is saying, but still, the game has passed him by to some degree.

There are actually some posters here, very few, actually the list Overlords gave I agree with, who I'd trust more than Cherry or others in the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Would be interesting if that's the case.
I will say this, I don't think Armstrong is a game changer but from everything I've seen so far he's really, really excited to play for his childhood team and if he stays healthy I could see him doing whatever it takes to help. Him and Prust are already BFFs too.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

Correct

Quote:

Incorrect.

People will pick and choose when to think Cherry is senile depending on his assessment of the Habs. Just like Todd, Fisher, whoever.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:44 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

I will say this, I don't think Armstrong is a game changer but from everything I've seen so far he's really, really excited to play for his childhood team and if he stays healthy I could see him doing whatever it takes to help. Him and Prust are already BFFs too.
I was not even counting on Armstrong until I saw 20 healthy games from him. The lockout is very good luck in his case. More therapy time without game risk. I'm kind of excited about Armstrong. He may turn out to be a steal.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You can be a moron and still have tons of experience in something. What accolades does he even have in the hockey community? He's more well known for his retarded suit jackets than for ever displaying some sort of acute hockey knowledge. I'm not even going into the over-the-top nationalism and xenophobia he displays. Just covering the area of hockey, he's never done or said anything that would necessarily garner my respect. Perhaps he doesn't deserve over the top disrespect. To be honest, I feel he's better off ignored.

As for posters on HF, it's not like there's some majority of hockey savants here, and no one is claiming otherwise, but I'll take opinions on players from posters such as Whitesnake, Habsprospects, Grant Mccagg, Habsfan18, Crimson Skorpion, Hototogisu, Buddahsmoka, Andy, WeThreeKings, That, BoucherScouting, or TalksWithGoalposts over those of Don Cherry any day of the week. And there are a few in there I disagree with on many points, but their checklist for what makes a good player goes beyond:

1) keeps head up
2) goes into corners
3) southern ontario

edit: and I probably forgot a few great posters. I'm still hopped up on sleeping pills.
By this guys logic I would have been wrong to crtiticize Mike Milbury as a GM because he has played, coached and GM'd in the NHL. I know for a fact that myself and many others on these boards are far more knowledgeable than either one of these clowns. Hockey has been a closed fraternity for a long time where members of the old boys club advance due to connections and not on merit. Cherry and Milbury simply aren't intelligent people and don't have the capacity to understand the game from a cause and effect perspective.

Cherry may have interesting stories and experiences but he doesn't have a clue about the way that the game is played today. There is a reason he has never been seriously considered for an NHL coaching job after exposing his idiocy in Colorado. A monkey could have coached those Bruin teams and came away with similar results.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:02 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I was not even counting on Armstrong until I saw 20 healthy games from him. The lockout is very good luck in his case. More therapy time without game risk. I'm kind of excited about Armstrong. He may turn out to be a steal.
If he's the Armstrong of the Pens and Thrashers then count me in. He was such a nightmare against us when he was on Atlanta.

If he can stay healthy then he'll be a huge addition. He'd also be a decent option on the top 6 in case of injuries. I'm actually more excited by him than Prust. Really hope he works out.

Seems like a good guy too for whatever that empty platitude is worth.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote