HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 09:02 AM
K19*

vCash: 500
Our centers would be absolutely pathetic if we trade Grabo for Luongo.

Bozak
Connolly
McClement
Steckel

Wow.

Bozak + MacArthur + Franson + 2nd.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Salgari

Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
What fortune did Luongo fetch last time he was available? Surely he had considerably more value then than now.
Best post in all of the Luongo threads.

Salgari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
Our centers would be absolutely pathetic if we trade Grabo for Luongo.

Bozak
Connolly
McClement
Steckel

Wow.

Bozak + MacArthur + Franson + 2nd.
This team is currently pathetic already if we don't get the 1st building block every GM starts with, a #1G. This team will never compete without one.

The Center group has been pathetic with or without Grabo the past 4 years already, but he can make a significant contribution playing behind and being insulated by Kesler and Sedin.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
What fortune did Luongo fetch last time he was available? Surely he had considerably more value then than now.
It certainly wasn't a fortune, that's for sure, here's the re-cap of the trade Vancouver made with Florida.

Quote:
VANCOUVER, British Columbia — The Vancouver Canucks and Florida Panthers kicked off a busy weekend in the NHL with a blockbuster deal.

On the eve of the NHL draft, the Canucks sent maligned power forward Todd Bertuzzi to Florida on Friday and acquired goalie Roberto Luongo in the five-player trade.

Vancouver also got defenseman Lukas Krajicek and a sixth-round pick in the deal that sent young goalie Alex Auld and defenseman Bryan Allen to Florida.

Canucks general manager Dave Non-is showed his sense of humor when he was asked what sealed the deal involving the two star players.

"The sixth-round pick," Non-is said.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...rs-trade_x.htm

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
everything depends on what the cba looks like. if its status quo or changes so the hit stays with his team post retirement, his value will be low. If it changes to his hit staying with the team he signed the contract with then his value will be high.
The new CBA potential rule change in last offer will greatly effect value in trade here.

While (if passed and accepted) and the Cap hit remains with the team that signed the contract then the risk to the Leafs is low, and in turn Luongo's value goes up in trade significantly, as opposed to dealing the full contract under the terms of the old CBA.

10-20-2012, 09:43 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Komisarek+Connolly+Bozak+Frattin for Luongo

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:51 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Komisarek+Connolly+Bozak+Frattin for Luongo
Take out Frattin and give them Scrivens.

You could probably take Connolly out too, but add him just to get it done.

Ask for a 6th round pick coming back too and maybe a lower tier D like Joslin.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
smitty10

I hope we get Luongo. He'd all but guarantee a post season birth the next few years. Who cares if he's 33, he can play and would be a very welcome addition here, even if he costs more than we hoped. A top goalie like Luongo is exactly what this team needs. We got Ed Belfour when he was 38 and he was spectacular for this team until he was 40ish. Why couldn't Luongo do the same?

I know he has a terrible contract, but the reason many people here don't want him is because of his age. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no team is going to trade a 25ish all-star goalie or let one walk to free agency. This is what Burke can expect if he wants a real #1 guy that will take us to the playoffs and if it costs a first, who cares? Giving up a draft pick and/or a prospect or two is worth it for a few years of playoff hockey in this city. I hope and think that we'll acquire him for a salary dump + pick/prospect, but even if Burke overpays for him it will be worth it.

I think the deal will be something like: Bozak/MacArthur + Komisarek/Lombardi + 2013 first round pick for Luongo + Weise.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I hope we get Luongo. He'd all but guarantee a post season birth the next few years. Who cares if he's 33, he can play and would be a very welcome addition here, even if he costs more than we hoped. A top goalie like Luongo is exactly what this team needs. We got Ed Belfour when he was 38 and he was spectacular for this team until he was 40ish. Why couldn't Luongo do the same?

I know he has a terrible contract, but the reason many people here don't want him is because of his age. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no team is going to trade a 25ish all-star goalie or let one walk to free agency. This is what Burke can expect if he wants a real #1 guy that will take us to the playoffs and if it costs a first, who cares? Giving up a draft pick and/or a prospect or two is worth it for a few years of playoff hockey in this city. I hope and think that we'll acquire him for a salary dump + pick/prospect, but even if Burke overpays for him it will be worth it.
We would be obtaining a core piece to add to Phanuef and Kessel. When you have a chance of doing this you don't hesitate.

I don't think we will will have to part with a 1st rd pick. Infact I will even go as we won't. Some of these trade proposals on both sides are silly, Gunnarson who no one has mentioned but me is a very valuable piece to dangle, given Leafs depth on D coming up thru the minors and CJHL could be a player Gillis covets.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

I suspect one of Reimer or Scrivens is included or at least asked for in the package for Luongo to keep organization depth at position.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Donato
#BarSouth

Gillis needs Luongo gone while he still has any value. Burke isn't stupid. Luongos value is dropping and Gillis knows this.

Vancouver fans act like its fine if luongo stays.

Hes not going to be happy playing as a backup to a 26 year old Schneider, when Brodeur at 40 was battling for a cup a year ago. So he might just play awfully if his heart isn't in vancouver.

IF Vancouver holds on to luongo, and he just becomes a backup, and florida and torontos deals are off the table, their going to be stuck with his bad cap hit (for a backup) for years to come.

It will probably prevent them from getting any decent free agents in the near future.

To even say the words 1st , Morgan , Jake , Nazem or , Colborne.. means their is more coming for luongo..

Macarthur , 2nd , pick between franson and bozak. thats all id give.

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I suspect one of Reimer or Scrivens is included or at least asked for in the package for Luongo to keep organization depth at position.
We actually have quite a few good goaltending prospects, we fully expect Eddie Lack to be able to step in as backup as soon as a deal goes down.

As it stands we are still beneath the cap even with both goaltenders, and both Luongo and Gillis have said they're fine starting the season together. We won't be moving him unless it's a deal that addresses our needs,or we'll simply keep both for as long as possible.

It should also be noted that apparently Edmonton and Chicago as well as Florida and Toronto have shown significant interest so far. When Luongo does get traded, I doubt it will be for scraps.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:38 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I can't believe some of you are talking about including Gardner/1sts/Frattins/Blackers etc

Have none of you learned anything from the last decade?
You're ignorance is astounding.
I'm truly embarrassed to be a part of this fan base.
ive learned that we need a goaltender...to put frattin and blacker as untouchable to bring in luongo is hilarious. when and if luongo comes to the leafs at least kadri or colborne will be going back, plus more.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
We actually have quite a few good goaltending prospects, we fully expect Eddie Lack to be able to step in as backup as soon as a deal goes down.

As it stands we are still beneath the cap even with both goaltenders, and both Luongo and Gillis have said they're fine starting the season together. We won't be moving him unless it's a deal that addresses our needs,or we'll simply keep both for as long as possible.

It should also be noted that apparently Edmonton and Chicago as well as Florida and Toronto have shown significant interest so far. When Luongo does get traded, I doubt it will be for scraps.
it doesn't matter what team has interest, all other 29 teams could.. The bottom line here is Longo made a list , Luongo controls where he goes.

plus with you guys asking price .. Towes, 1st for Luongo?.. Kane+leddy? lmfao

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Fenton

I see a lot of proposals but not many involving a goalie going back to Vancouver.

I'm all for getting Luongo. I don't believe that a long term deal completely handicaps a team. Leafs have gotten out of a few themselves (Finger, McCabe) and teams like Philly and NYR have gotten out of several high profile deals some way or another. I really wish people would stop worrying so much about the length and size of the deal. If he sucks down the road, they will find a way to get rid of the contract.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:46 AM
RogerRoeper*

Luongo will get us a much worse draft pick. I thought this board was all about the "Picks"?

Why not give Reimer/Scrivens a chance. If Scrivens puts up those numbers in the AHL on any other team he's considered a great goalie prospect. (blah, blah, blah, 26 years-old, I couldn't care less).

People honestly think we should give up on Reimer already? The guy had a concussion, then wasn't the same player. His numbers in his career prior to that were great on a poor team.

Give him another chance. Luongo's contract is going to haunt this team for years.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:49 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
Leafs will not get Luongo for cheap. Having two good goalies is a tremendous asset. Both are tradable. The bigger problem is not having a decent #1 goalie which puts the Leafs in a desperate position. furthermore, Burke is not in a great position since he has huge pressure to make the playoffs. Their fans and ownership want that as well. If anything the Leafs will overpay. It will cost them something like Gardiner, Kadri and some throw-ins/picks. Some on here will not like that because, hell, they want Luongo for almost nothing but you have to give to get a #1 like Luongo. That's just being realistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
I think so too. It does not solve the goalie situation but we keep or top prospects. But it likely means no playoff again which is disappointing. If one of Reimer/Scrievens turn out to be genuine #1 then that would be the best course of action. If both of them fail then the Leafs have the same problem next year with even more pressure to land a #1 and will likely have to give up more assets to get a #1.
delusional

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:53 AM
RogerRoeper*

Canuck fans are delusional.

If the team trades Schneider, then yes, trading him for good assets will be very possible. Luongo? Nope.

Reportedly 18 out of 30 teams are losing money. There's 2 teams showing interest. How the hell are you going to get value for him?

And if the new CBS states contracts count against the cap until they are over, Luongo is never being moved.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
I'm going to say at least one of the following pieces should be included for us to look at it:
Kessel, Rielly,(Not a snowball's chance in heck)
Lupul, Gardiner, JVR,( Preferred centrepieces)
1st, Kulemin, Kadri.(Would require any 2 of these if none of the above tier)

With Colborne, Ashton, 2nd round picks, Frattin, etc. being throw ins.

Just my perspective on what it would take to convince us we'd be better off trading him.
I am not sure why you had to come in here and clearly troll with a proposal or suggestion like this. There's a reason people, like me, avoid the main boards like a plague. Fairly sure if anyone posted something like this in your forum, it'd get deleted and dealt with by a possible infraction.

To take a depreciating asset like Luongo, with the uncertainty of the cap not to mention no cba, when Brian Burke has clearly gone out of his way to avoid contracts like this, and then to throw in valuable pieces is just ...

Please. Just. Stop.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donato View Post
it doesn't matter what team has interest, all other 29 teams could.. The bottom line here is Longo made a list , Luongo controls where he goes.
What makes you think Toronto is any more likely than say, Chicago or Edmonton? If Luongo Is truly so unhappy being in Vancouver, he'll expand his list until it includes a team willing to pay fair value for Luongo.
Quote:
plus with you guys asking price .. Towes, 1st for Luongo?.. Kane+leddy? lmfao
There's a huge difference between Toews + 1st and the offers posted here.

Even Florida fans, who are in a much better goaltending position than TO, were willing to do a deal like Petrovic(top defensive prospect), Matthias(3rd line C), and a 1st round pick.

Oilers fans were willing to do something around Hemsky(top-6 winger, slightly injury prone) and either a 1st or MPS.

I don't see how Burke thinks he's able to get a chance at Luongo if he only offers Franson + Steckel + Komisarek, or such nonsense.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Possibly but it may also be a prospect like Jussi Rynnas, they have Eddie Lack, as their back-up and Rynnas would replace him for depth.

I don't think his trade value is that much and as in your other post, the CBA, is ultimately going to determine his trade value but remember, we are trading for Vancouver's back-up goal tender and I sure would not want to have him go down injured and not have a competent replacement to bring up like Scrivens and if Reimer and Luongo were 1-2, having Scrivens is in my mind, good insurance.

To add to this Rynnas has a better rating, checking Hockey Future's rating values however Scrivens is more NHL ready than Rynnas and so keeping Scrivens and Reimer is a better bet, in any trade scenario.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
What makes you think Toronto is any more likely than say, Chicago or Edmonton? If Luongo Is truly so unhappy being in Vancouver, he'll expand his list until it includes a team willing to pay fair value for Luongo.

There's a huge difference between Toews + 1st and the offers posted here.

Even Florida fans, who are in a much better goaltending position than TO, were willing to do a deal like Petrovic(top defensive prospect), Matthias(3rd line C), and a 1st round pick.

Oilers fans were willing to do something around Hemsky(top-6 winger, slightly injury prone) and either a 1st or MPS.

I don't see how Burke thinks he's able to get a chance at Luongo if he only offers Franson + Steckel + Komisarek, or such nonsense.
Edmonton has so much money they have to give to their young stars, they aren't going to be able to take on that contract.

And Chicago has so many long-term deals I'm not sure they want it either.

Old
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
delusional
Yeah clearly he's never seen a Brian Burke trade. The guy is known for giving up notoriously less than what he brings back. Some examples:

To Calgary:
Ian White
Matt Stajan
Jamal Mayers
Nicklaus Hagman

To Toronto:
Dion Phaneuf
Keith Aulie
Frederik Sjostrom

To Anaheim:
Francois Beauchemin

To Toronto:
Jake Gardiner
Joffrey Lupul
4th round pick

To Boston:
Tomas Kaberle

To Toronto:
Joe Colborne
1st round pick
2nd round pick

To Colorado:
2nd round pick

To Toronto:
John-Michael Liles

Etc..

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Edmonton has so much money they have to give to their young stars, they aren't going to be able to take on that contract.

And Chicago has so many long-term deals I'm not sure they want it either.
Luongo's cap hit is great for a goalie of his calibre, if anything that makes him more appealing to teams that spend to the cap.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Canuck fans are delusional.

If the team trades Schneider, then yes, trading him for good assets will be very possible. Luongo? Nope.

Reportedly 18 out of 30 teams are losing money. There's 2 teams showing interest. How the hell are you going to get value for him?

And if the new CBS states contracts count against the cap until they are over, Luongo is never being moved.
Nucks fans never asked for value for Luongo, well most anyways... but there's a big diffrence between offering Komisarek straight up vs Bozak, Frattin + Pick.

The Canucks are deep everywhere. If they move Luongo they need an upgrade somewhere or good prospects coming back, otherwise there's zero point in moving him.

Why move an all-star player for nothing? Cap space? The Canucks have no use for cap space this year... what FAs are left?

Worst case scenario for this year (if there's games) Luongo and Schneider split them again... they were the only reason the Nucks when the pres trophey last season...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote