HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Luongo's cap hit is great for a goalie of his calibre, if anything that makes him more appealing to teams that spend to the cap.
Yes because it's a cap circumventing contract.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Luongo's cap hit is great for a goalie of his calibre, if anything that makes him more appealing to teams that spend to the cap.
Definitely. The problem people have with the contract is the length, but IMO it's not even that bad. He may not be worth the hit in his last few years, but it's a good hit for the next 5-7 years.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:03 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Nucks fans never asked for value for Luongo, well most anyways... but there's a big diffrence between offering Komisarek straight up vs Bozak, Frattin + Pick.

The Canucks are deep everywhere. If they move Luongo they need an upgrade somewhere or good prospects coming back, otherwise there's zero point in moving him.

Why move an all-star player for nothing? Cap space? The Canucks have no use for cap space this year... what FAs are left?

Worst case scenario for this year (if there's games) Luongo and Schneider split them again... they there were the only reason the Nucks when the pres trophey last season...
Luongo wants out. He doesn't want to be a backup or a "1B" option.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Definitely. The problem people have with the contract is the length, but IMO it's not even that bad. He may not be worth the hit in his last few years, but it's a good hit for the next 5-7 years.
So there's every reason for Edmonton or Chicago to be interested, as when Luongo retires, his cap hit goes on the Canucks.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:05 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Here's the issue however, it's a terrible contract for any team losing money. Luongo is in the "Front Loaded" years, meaning his actual salary is higher than his cap hit for the next 6 years.

"Cap Hit" arguments work with the Leafs. They are the NHl's richest team. For all those many money losing teams, it's a terrible contract.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Luongo wants out. He doesn't want to be a backup or a "1B" option.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...orked-out.html

Old
10-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Here's the issue however, it's a terrible contract for any team losing money. Luongo is in the "Front Loaded" years, meaning his actual salary is higher than his cap hit for the next 6 years.

"Cap Hit" arguments work with the Leafs. They are the NHl's richest team. For all those many money losing teams, it's a terrible contract.
Chicago spends to the cap, and Edmonton will likely also as they become contenders. Also, there is a clause in the new CBA that allows us top pay up to 3 mil in salary for traded players, making him even more appealing to teams like Florida.

That Luongo will only go to Toronto is a myth.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:10 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Chicago spends to the cap, and Edmonton will likely also as they become contenders. Also, there is a clause in the new CBA that allows us top pay up to 3 mil in salary for traded players, making him even more appealing to teams like Florida.

Who's saying that? I still see many saying it'll be Florida.

And we don't know what the new CBA will say. It has to be approved by both sides.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:10 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
What is that supposed to mean? I never said he wouldn't show up for camp.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
We actually have quite a few good goaltending prospects, we fully expect Eddie Lack to be able to step in as backup as soon as a deal goes down.

As it stands we are still beneath the cap even with both goaltenders, and both Luongo and Gillis have said they're fine starting the season together. We won't be moving him unless it's a deal that addresses our needs,or we'll simply keep both for as long as possible.

It should also be noted that apparently Edmonton and Chicago as well as Florida and Toronto have shown significant interest so far. When Luongo does get traded, I doubt it will be for scraps.
In terms of goalie depth, I understand that Lack is next in line, however what happens to a Canucks team should Schneider get hurt after Luongo is traded, as that leaves a perennial President's trophy team in quite a predicament and exposed. In previous goalie transactions its not uncommon for teams to swap goalies, even when acquiring Luongo originally, Auld was sent the other way.

If Gillis wanted only scraps or simply to dump the contract the deal would have been done by now. So I agree that at present Gillis asking price in return has held up the completion of a deal. It was even reported that teams were balking at the price previously.

How Luongo's contract is effected by the new CBA will factoring into the return as well, so speculation at this point as to value is difficult to assess accurately also.

I for one do not want my Leafs to acquire him under the current conditions of his 10 year contract balance remaining and his age 33. However if the new proposed changes are approved in the new CBA and the long-term cap hit concerns are Vancouver's issue to deal with and not the Leafs than that does change things.

10-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
I'm going to say at least one of the following pieces should be included for us to look at it:
Kessel, Rielly,(Not a snowball's chance in heck)
Lupul, Gardiner, JVR,( Preferred centrepieces)
1st, Kulemin, Kadri.(Would require any 2 of these if none of the above tier)

With Colborne, Ashton, 2nd round picks, Frattin, etc. being throw ins.

Just my perspective on what it would take to convince us we'd be better off trading him.
You, my friend, were drunk when you wrote this. I forgive you.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:14 AM
smitty10

Quote:

Toronto seems like the most likely scenario though. Their wealth and desperate need of a top goalie is a great situation for Luongo to come in to.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
Then you forget about Luongo and find a solution elsewhere. Gillis will not simply give him away for AHLers just to help out pour Burkie.
And Burke won't bail out Gillis by taking that horrid contract attached to a player who no longer wants to be there, and is no longer wanted there, while also giving away valuable assets.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Toronto seems like the most likely scenario though. Their wealth and desperate need of a top goalie is a great situation for Luongo to come in to.
Edmoton and Chicago both fit that criteria, and with teams allowed to pay up to 3 mil of salary, even cap floor teams like Florida or maybe even NYI might be interested.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:25 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I can't believe some of you are talking about including Gardner/1sts/Frattins/Blackers etc

Have none of you learned anything from the last decade?
You're ignorance is astounding.
I'm truly embarrassed to be a part of this fan base.
You are not alone. I don't want Roberto because of his hideous deal and the fact that he simply isn't anything special to warrant that kind of deal. But LOL @ trading the few really good youth pieces the Leafs do have. Gardiner, Reilly, First rounders.....no chance. Talk about career suicide from Burkie. Would completely finish him off. Possibly to never return to a GM role in the NHL again.

If Luongo must come to Toronto...This is what you could have Vancouver fans...

Tyler Bozak
Jussi Rynnas
Mike Komisarek.

Considering the horrible contract for Captain Lou and the number of teams he is willing to go to and the locker room situation that has now been created.....think Dany Heatley. This offer is more than fair.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Gillis realizing this "desperation" factor exists in Toronto plays into is hand in terms of asking price than it does Leafs in terms of offering or expected purchase price.

TO is the most likely destination for Luo all things considered, only how dearly will it cost Leafs to acquire him the question, and if being desperate to do so plays into the final price.

Burke is not dealing from a position of strength here, and Gillis knows it. Patience is a virtue and perhaps waiting and seeing how Leafs seasons unfolds with inexperienced goalies in Toronto, might further benefit Gillis in his eventual return.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:31 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Gillis realizing this "desperation" factor exists in Toronto plays into is hand in terms of asking price than it does Leafs in terms of offering or expected purchase price.

TO is the most likely destination for Luo all things considered, only how dearly will it cost Leafs to acquire him the question, and if being desperate to do so plays into the final price.

Burke is not dealing from a position of strength here, and Gillis knows it.
Given Burke hates cap circumventing contracts, is he even desperate to get Luongo? I don't see it.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Given Burke hates cap circumventing contracts, is he even desperate to get Luongo? I don't see it.
Presumably Burke hates losing even more.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:35 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Presumably Burke hates losing even more.
He's not showing it. He keeps making the team younger and giving up veterans for futures.

He is the NHL's bigest critic on these contracts. Now I'm suppose to believe he's desperate to acquire it? I don't see it at all.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
What makes you think Toronto is any more likely than say, Chicago or Edmonton? If Luongo Is truly so unhappy being in Vancouver, he'll expand his list until it includes a team willing to pay fair value for Luongo.

There's a huge difference between Toews + 1st and the offers posted here.

Even Florida fans, who are in a much better goaltending position than TO, were willing to do a deal like Petrovic(top defensive prospect), Matthias(3rd line C), and a 1st round pick.

Oilers fans were willing to do something around Hemsky(top-6 winger, slightly injury prone) and either a 1st or MPS.

I don't see how Burke thinks he's able to get a chance at Luongo if he only offers Franson + Steckel + Komisarek, or such nonsense.
Who was the last Player to waive a NTC to go to Edmonton?

Gillis doesn't seem too bright but even he can realize that sending him to Chicago is not a good idea.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Agreed Burke's stance and disdain on these cap circumventing contracts is well documented, however while it should prevent a Luongo to Toronto deal from happen on his principles, we all know it wouldn't.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Who was the last Player to waive a NTC to go to Edmonton?
If his choice is staying in Vancouver or going to Edmonton(who have a bright young future) which do you think he'd prefer?

Quote:
Gillis doesn't seem too bright but even he can realize that sending him to Chicago is not a good idea.
I'd take a decent offer any day from Chicago over some of the offers posted so far.

Gillis has said numerous times there's not a single team in the league he wouldn't consdier dealing with, as long as it makes us a better team. Simply put, if I were GM right now, I would trade Luongo for a package like Hemsky + 1st.

You'd have to put up a similar offer to get Luongo. We're not going to just give him away. And even if we did we'd send him to Florida long before TO.

Old
10-20-2012, 11:44 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
You are not alone. I don't want Roberto because of his hideous deal and the fact that he simply isn't anything special to warrant that kind of deal. But LOL @ trading the few really good youth pieces the Leafs do have. Gardiner, Reilly, First rounders.....no chance. Talk about career suicide from Burkie. Would completely finish him off. Possibly to never return to a GM role in the NHL again.

If Luongo must come to Toronto...This is what you could have Vancouver fans...

Tyler Bozak
Jussi Rynnas
Mike Komisarek.

Considering the horrible contract for Captain Lou and the number of teams he is willing to go to and the locker room situation that has now been created.....think Dany Heatley. This offer is more than fair.
I haven't seen many (if any) Leaf fans think that Gardiner, Rielly, 1st is a very good idea.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:44 AM
New Liskeard

Leafs need goaltending moreso than any other position, and one of the top goalies may be available. Not sure why anyone would be upset to see Lou come to the Leafs. Quite funny to see Vancouver fans expecting to recieve more than what he was traded for when he was younger.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 11:45 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Agreed Burke's stance and disdain on these cap circumventing contracts is well documented, however while it should prevent a Luongo to Toronto deal from happen on his principles, we all know it wouldn't.
I just can't see him taking on that deal.