HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Leafs need goaltending moreso than any other position, and one of the top goalies may be available. Not sure why anyone would be upset to see Lou come to the Leafs. Quite funny to see Vancouver fans expecting to recieve more than what he was traded for when he was younger.
Power forward a season removed from 90 points ++? Sign me up.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
OR: Power forward with serious questions surrounding his ability to bounce back to that form, and a team who clearly wanted to cut ties with him?

We don't have one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nonis
"Todd will be better off in a new city," said Nonis, noting Bertuzzi never asked for a trade but they talked about it. "Todd never said 'I'll never play in Vancouver again,' but I think he recognized and we had some discussions that if there was a situation that worked for him elsewhere, then maybe it was better for him to move on. He's been really unfairly hammered in this market and I think he'll be better off in Florida.
Also, it's cute how you use ++ instead of the actual players' names as if that implies they were anything of consequence. Bryan Allen and Alex Auld. Couple of earth-scorchers there.

It's hilarious to see you Canucks fans come in here thinking you have the upper-hand in negotiations! Classic stuff.

You can have Clarke MacArthur, Cody Franson and a 2nd.

Last edited by Duke Silver: 10-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:02 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
If his choice is staying in Vancouver or going to Edmonton(who have a bright young future) which do you think he'd prefer?

I'd take a decent offer any day from Chicago over some of the offers posted so far.

Gillis has said numerous times there's not a single team in the league he wouldn't consdier dealing with, as long as it makes us a better team. Simply put, if I were GM right now, I would trade Luongo for a package like Hemsky + 1st.

You'd have to put up a similar offer to get Luongo. We're not going to just give him away. And even if we did we'd send him to Florida long before TO.
Maybe you dont understand the concept of trading a player. It takes two teams who want to make a deal that benefits both parties. As much as several Cannucks fans would like to see Lou in Florida, Tallon and the Panthers have to have a need to aquire him. Simply trading Lou makes the Cannucks better, by clearing cap space, in what looks to be an inevitable cap reduction for the enitre league.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
I'm going to say at least one of the following pieces should be included for us to look at it:
Kessel, Rielly,(Not a snowball's chance in heck)
Lupul, Gardiner, JVR,( Preferred centrepieces)
1st, Kulemin, Kadri.(Would require any 2 of these if none of the above tier)

With Colborne, Ashton, 2nd round picks, Frattin, etc. being throw ins.

Just my perspective on what it would take to convince us we'd be better off trading him.
This is pretty much what most of the Nucks fans have been saying.

Looking forward to the next season.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Maybe you dont understand the concept of trading a player. It takes two teams who want to make a deal that benefits both parties. As much as several Cannucks fans would like to see Lou in Florida, Tallon and the Panthers have to have a need to aquire him. Simply trading Lou makes the Cannucks better, by clearing cap space, in what looks to be an inevitable cap reduction for the enitre league.
Why wouldn't Florida want Luongo? He takes them closer to the cap floor, and we pay part of his salary. I'd rather Luongo go to Florida for free than to Toronto for Franson's rights and Komisarek, etc.

That said, there are other teams interested, and if Burke's offers are similar to the one's here, I don't see him getting Luongo.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:06 PM
smitty10

Quote:
I'm going to say at least one of the following pieces should be included for us to look at it:

Just my perspective on what it would take to convince us we'd be better off trading him.
If he comes to Toronto it will not include anything in the above outside of MAYBE a first round pick. Brian Burke does NOT overpay for any player and this includes Luongo. The Kessel deal was fair value until the Leafs sucked and Boston made off with two top 10 picks. You bet he didn't like losing that trade and won't let it happen again. If he is traded to Toronto it will likely be for a pick, a prospect and a salary dump (think Komisarek, Connolly, Lombardi). If you think Burke will overpay for Luongo you're out of touch with how he makes trades. When the Leafs needed a #1 defenseman he waited until Calgary caved and gave up 4 scrubs for Phaneuf and Aulie. He then picked up a top 6 LW and a top prospect defenseman for Francois Beauchemin. These are positions we desperately needed upgraded (albeit, not as desperately as we needed a goaltender) and he went out and got it cheap. Burke will use Luongo's contract as an advantage in negotiations as much as possible.

The deal may include more than I think, but far less than a top prospect + first round pick + 'throw ins'. It just won't happen.

Last edited by smitty10: 10-20-2012 at 01:11 PM.
smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:07 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
And Lou is the same player today, age wise and contract wise, as he was when that trade went down? Keep aiming for the stars, just be prepared to face reality, and with dignity. when Lou actually gets traded.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Why wouldn't Florida want Luongo? He takes them closer to the cap floor, and we pay part of his salary. I'd rather Luongo go to Florida for free than to Toronto for Franson's rights and Komisarek, etc.

That said, there are other teams interested, and if Burke's offers are similar to the one's here, I don't see him getting Luongo.
Thats the thing you are having a hard time with, you nor i get to chose where Lou goes, and for what in return. Once you accept that, you may be able to deal with a potential Lou trade. Florida has good goaltending, and Markstrom coming up, maybe they are interested, but it certainlly doesnt look like a need. Good news for you is that Burke has always said he wants to make a fair deal for both sides, so both teams can benefit. Unlike some Nucks fans expecting unrealistic returns for Lou.

Last edited by Mess: 10-20-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: removed trolling comment
Old
10-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Thats the thing you are having a hard time with, you nor i get to chose where Lou goes, and for what in return. Once you accept that, you may be able to deal with a potential Lou trade. Florida has good goaltending, and Markstrom coming up, maybe they are interested, but it certainlly doesnt look like a need. Good news for you is that Burke has always said he wants to make a fair deal for both sides, so both teams can benefit. Unlike some Nucks fans expecting unrealistic returns for Lou.
You left out the next two words to be bolded. Tallon would love to have Luongo for free. Leafs fans hear make it seem like you're doing us a favour by taking Luongo. Burke needs Luongo a lot more than we need to trade him to Toronto.

I think Toronto is a fairly likely destination. But only because I think the offers on the table actually meet our needs, instead of just dumping Luongo for scraps for the sake of it.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Al14

Lou couldn't get the job done in Vancouver with a very good lineup. What makes anyone here think he'll be any better with the current Leafs lineup?

I think Lou will be a huge mistake if Burke trades for him. JMHO.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:29 PM
smitty10

Quote:
You left out the next two words to be bolded. Tallon would love to have Luongo for free. Leafs fans hear make it seem like you're doing us a favour by taking Luongo. Burke needs Luongo a lot more than we need to trade him to Toronto.

I think Toronto is a fairly likely destination. But only because I think the offers on the table actually meet our needs, instead of just dumping Luongo for scraps for the sake of it.
Would Luongo waive to play in Chicago knowing Toronto or Florida are a possibility?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Would Luongo waive to play in Chicago knowing Toronto or Florida are a possibility?
He'd definitely prefer Chicago to Toronto, I think, as he'd want to go to a competitor. But if at the end of the day only Chicago puts together a good enough offer, Gillis will tell Luongo he's staying in Vancouver unless he wants to go there.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donato View Post
it doesn't matter what team has interest, all other 29 teams could.. The bottom line here is Longo made a list , Luongo controls where he goes.
Only for so long. He has a NTC, not a NMC. If Gillis can't find a trade that works for him with the list Roberto has given, he'll simply have to expand his list or risk not being dealt or waived. Apparently Roberto was only willing to go to Florida at the draft, he apparently changed that stance in September. Roberto is in no way in the driver's seat here, he has to be willing to work with Gillis here.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 10-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:38 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:

Is that right? Did Dale mention that to you durring dinner or just in passing? So a lower cap team that has depth in net and a great propsect would love to add another 5.3 or so million in a position that is not a need? Sounds brilliant, but again, Tallon did tell you this in person anyway.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:41 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
He'd definitely prefer Chicago to Toronto, I think, as he'd want to go to a competitor. But if at the end of the day only Chicago puts together a good enough offer, Gillis will tell Luongo he's staying in Vancouver unless he wants to go there.
I love how posters such as this guy act as if they have a line into Gillis's frame of thought.

You don't know anything regarding any trade. The pieces you said would have to be included are baloney and you know it.

Luongo has near negative value and any poster can see this when looking at Vancouver's cap and team situation objectively.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:42 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
Lou couldn't get the job done in Vancouver with a very good lineup. What makes anyone here think he'll be any better with the current Leafs lineup?I think Lou will be a huge mistake if Burke trades for him. JMHO.
Take last years goalie stats on the leafs, the GAA and PK. Replace those stats with that of Lou, and you are telling me the Leafs arent a better team? GAA, PK, SV% are all things that the leafs have to address, no question, A number one center isnt nearly as important as addressing goaltending, not even close.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Is that right? Did Dale mention that to you durring dinner or just in passing? So a lower cap team that has depth in net and a great propsect would love to add another 5.3 or so million in a position that is not a need? Sounds brilliant, but again, Tallon did tell you this in person anyway.
http://news.sportsinteraction.com/sp...e-talks-59564/

Quote:
Panthers GM Dale Tallon admits he contacted Gillis to “kick the tires” but walked away echoing Burke’s sentiment that Gillis wants too much in exchange for the enigmatic goaltender
Unless you think Gillis asked Tallon to take Luongo for free, which Tallon thought was too much to pay...I doubt he would have contacted Gillis unless he was actually willing to give something up.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:45 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
We actually have quite a few good goaltending prospects, we fully expect Eddie Lack to be able to step in as backup as soon as a deal goes down.

As it stands we are still beneath the cap even with both goaltenders, and both Luongo and Gillis have said they're fine starting the season together. We won't be moving him unless it's a deal that addresses our needs,or we'll simply keep both for as long as possible.

It should also be noted that apparently Edmonton and Chicago as well as Florida and Toronto have shown significant interest so far. When Luongo does get traded, I doubt it will be for scraps.
Lack will not be backup for the next decade; unless you trade Schneider. Good luck keeping Luongo at the price you're looking for!

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Peter Griffin

I thoroughly enjoy the amount of fans telling Vancouver fans to "enjoy" their goaltending tandem rather than the crap they are offering. Is that a serious statement?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:52 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
http://news.sportsinteraction.com/sp...e-talks-59564/

Unless you think Gillis asked Tallon to take Luongo for free, which Tallon thought was too much to pay...I doubt he would have contacted Gillis unless he was actually willing to give something up.
This may be hard for you to comprehend, but you do realize that all GM's are in constant contact with each other, and have discusions often. I didnt realize it was a foregone conclusion that Tallon would Love to have Lou, and for free? I didnt realize kicking tires means a GM wants the player badly? Funny to see how some Cannucks fans go squirrely at the thought of Lou getting traded, and expecting the moon in return, yet they have no control or insight into the situation. Next time you talk to Tallon, send him my regards.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
This may be hard for you to comprehend, but you do realize that all GM's are in constant contact with each other, and have discusions often. I didnt realize it was a foregone conclusion that Tallon would Love to have Lou, and for free? I didnt realize kicking tires means a GM wants the player badly? Funny to see how some Cannucks fans go squirrely at the thought of Lou getting traded, and expecting the moon in return, yet they have no control or insight into the situation. Next time you talk to Tallon, send him my regards.

Kicking the tires generally means if someone offers you that player for free, you'd take it. I never said he wants him badly.

Old
10-20-2012, 02:15 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

im all for it as long as none of:

Kessel, Rielly, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Lupul, Gunnarsson, Grabovski, JVR or our 1st (unless its top 10 protected) is included. There is no reason why Luongo will return any players of that calibre, especially considering Tallon's hesitation to deal Bjugstad marking the cieling of his value. Heck, id be hestitant to even include Kulemin in any deals.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Interactif

Quote:

I think you have mistaken Luongo for Getzlaf and Perry. The packages you propose are so far off, I will gladly point you back to this thread to remind you how delusional they were when and if Luongo is traded. And this is my soft reply!

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:28 PM
DaveT83*

Lou for Reimer straight up.

We take on his contract - they get a solid back up until Lack is ready.

Anything else is craziness.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Al14

Quote:
Take last years goalie stats on the leafs, the GAA and PK. Replace those stats with that of Lou, and you are telling me the Leafs arent a better team? GAA, PK, SV% are all things that the leafs have to address, no question, A number one center isnt nearly as important as addressing goaltending, not even close.
Porous defense sinks goalies, guaranteed! Lou's not good enough to survive on his own and make the Leafs competitive all by himself. As a person, I think he has a fragile disposition. JMHO.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote