HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Most obscure Devil

Old
10-19-2012, 08:13 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Steve Brule or Steve Kelly. I don't remember which one it was, but one of them has 3 career games played, 2 of which with the Avalanche, 1 of which in a playoff game with us.

His name is on the 2000 Cup.

As for more recently, how about Rob Davison or Patrick Davis?
Steve Brule played one game for us in the 2000 playoffs and has his name on the cup. Steve Kelly does too, but he played 10 games for us that same playoffs and over 100 regular games with multiple teams throughout his career. Amazingly enough, Kelly was the sixth overall pick by the Oilers in 95 What a waste.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Steve Kelly does too, but he played 10 games for us that same playoffs and over 100 regular games with multiple teams throughout his career. Amazingly enough, Kelly was the sixth overall pick by the Oilers in 95 What a waste.

My only recollection of Kelly during those playoffs was him playing in game 6 against the Flyers. During a scrum, he popped Lindros in the mouth. Figured he was trying to goad Lindros into taking a coincidental minor (late in the game) which would have been to our advantage. In the Mogilny goal from that game, Steve Levy says something along the lines of "Lindros on the ice for the first time since taking that shot from Kelly."

When Arnott held out to start 2000-01, I think Kelly did get at least a shift or two centering Elias and Sykora. I just remember excitedly trading for him in my keeper league.

The '95 Draft was the first one I can recall watching, but didn't exactly know who was who at the time. Wish I could find video of it. The draft was in Edmonton that year. When the Oilers turn came to pick, apparently the entire crowd was chanting "WE WANT DOAN." Doan was an Alberta native who had led his team to a Memorial Cup championship.

....and then the Oilers took Kelly. Looks terrible now, but The Hockey News had Kelly rated higher than Doan in their preview.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Devils86

Eric Bertrand...First player to wear 15 after JMac.. Rollie Melanson...one third period..let up 2 goals

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I remember Roland Melanson or whatever. Can't remember many game he played though. Looks like you got a better memory than me!

Didn't he play with us twice? Or is it Peter Sidorkiewicz I'm thinking of?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Steve Kelly and Steve Brule leapt to my mind as singularly obscure guys who are nevertheless engraved on the Cup as Devils.

Tuomas Pihlman and Ray Giroux are also guys who come to mind, and I only remember them because of their names, Pihlman because it's so unusual, and Giroux because of his more talented "namesake" in the league currently.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

That's funny you said Giroux cause I just thought of him earlier. I was thinking ''Didn't we have a player named Giroux?'' I still don't even remember if he ever even played a game for us. Or if he was a Barry Tallackson type ''He can do everything! Let's bring him up!'' type player. I remember reading people saying we should bring him up, more than him actually playing for us.

Speaking of Tallackson, how about David Hale? A first round draft pick that was supposed to be the next Scott Stevens? He played a few games for us. He played for Tampa Bay only a couple years ago I remember.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Steve Kelly and Steve Brule leapt to my mind as singularly obscure guys who are nevertheless engraved on the Cup as Devils.

Tuomas Pihlman and Ray Giroux are also guys who come to mind, and I only remember them because of their names, Pihlman because it's so unusual, and Giroux because of his more talented "namesake" in the league currently.
Giroux was one of the fill-ins when we had that slew of defensemen injuries at the end of 03-04.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:03 PM
DevilsJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
So does Danton Cole.

DevilsJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****

I see a lot of Ken Klee, but how about the guy we traded to get Klee, Suglobov? Half the people were pissed thinking we gave up way too much.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:34 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Speaking of Tallackson, how about David Hale? A first round draft pick that was supposed to be the next Scott Stevens? He played a few games for us. He played for Tampa Bay only a couple years ago I remember.
If Hale wasn't a hyped first-round pick he'd qualify as obscure. Same could be said of Corrente, who I have to remind myself actually played for the Devils - as a forward in the playoffs (and a d-man two years ago)

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
It's too bad that 2000 Draft was largely terrible. 7 picks in the top 76, and really only hit on Paul Martin and Mike Rupp.

Hale also reminds me of the one time I seemingly came close to getting into a bar fight. This was during the playoffs in 2007 and I met up with some friends. Somehow I got into a conversation with a friend of a friend. He was a Flames fan who declared that David Hale was exactly what they needed going forward. I don't think he knew I was a Devils fan (who had seen 95% of Hale's NHL games to that point) and I had the knee jerk reply of "if Hale's exactly what you need, I think you got problems." He remained incredulous and asserted I had no idea what I was talking about.

The next point of conversation was who we thought were the Cup favorites. He said that Tampa was the favorite to come out of the East. I immediately started laughing.

He got in my face and yelled "ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOU DON'T THINK VINCENT LECAVALIER IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NHL?"

I was still chuckling and responded "I'm not even sure he's the best player on his own team. And by the way, Tampa was eliminated from the playoffs [by the Devils] a couple days ago."

At which point, my friends had to step in and make sure this guy didn't clock me upside the head. So the closest I've ever gotten to fighting somebody was over David Hale and Vinny Lecavalier.

[/coolstorybro]

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Stevens 4

Ilkka Pikkarainen.

I don't know if he counts though since there was a lot of talk about him before he got here.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
If Hale wasn't a hyped first-round pick he'd qualify as obscure. Same could be said of Corrente, who I have to remind myself actually played for the Devils - as a forward in the playoffs (and a d-man two years ago)
Haha yeah pretty much. Hale sure was hyped though. More hyped than Paul Martin. The next Scott Stevens which was absurd.

Suglobov I'm not sure if he ever played a game I don't remember. I forget Ken Klee even played for us sometimes! The Foster must go now thread reminded me of that. Suglobov was probably another Tallackson, Hale, Giroux type. Some guy people vouched for to add to our lineup. Meanwhile he was probably worthless like those guys.

And Brodeur LOL at almost fighting over Hale, and Lecavalier in the bar! Speaking of Lecavalier I wouldn't mind him if they had an amnesty clause, and TB buys him out. In reality though he'd probably still get close to what he got on the deal he had now. Just less years. Maybe not $7.5, but definitely $4 million plus. We almost traded for him back in 01 or something. Probably for Gomez who was the default trade choice for every trade that was supposed to happen. Selanne, Datsyuk, etc.

Old
10-20-2012, 03:56 PM
goalvalchuk17

Zach parise

goalvalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige14 View Post
Ilkka Pikkarainen.

I don't know if he counts though since there was a lot of talk about him before he got here.
He'll count in a few years when everybody forgets his half season on the team.

Old
10-20-2012, 04:47 PM
IT0

david emma
scott daniels

IT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Nick0930

If Pierre Luc Letourneau-Leblond didn't have such a freaking long name he might be considered obscure.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 06:36 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Petr Vrana I don't believe was mentioned yet. I consider him obscure...

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 07:56 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Sheldon Brookbank?

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:34 AM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Adam Mair, Rob Niedermayer, Ben Walter..

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:27 AM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Looking up obscure Devils on hockeydb and found this

Tim Sestito has the most games without a goal by a forward (63).
Boulton has the most games without a point (51).

Awful.

My vote for most obscure is Steve Staios. Traded to NJ from Atlanta June 12, 2000 for a 9th rounder and then traded back to Atlanta 28 days later on July 10, 2000 for future considerations (which they must still be thinking about because I can't find what those futures actually were).

I Hate Tie DOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI View Post
My vote for most obscure is Steve Staios. Traded to NJ from Atlanta June 12, 2000 for a 9th rounder and then traded back to Atlanta 28 days later on July 10, 2000 for future considerations (which they must still be thinking about because I can't find what those futures actually were).
I think with the Kovalchuk trade they gave us all the considerations we could have wanted.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:19 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Scott Daniels

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI View Post
Looking up obscure Devils on hockeydb and found this

Tim Sestito has the most games without a goal by a forward (63).
Boulton has the most games without a point (51).

Awful.
So I guess now we can rightfully crown Boulton the UNDISPUTED WORST forward to EVER play for our team right? I wonder who has the most games by a forward for the Devils, without even being on the ice for a goal scored by the Devils? It's obviously Boulton. I wonder though at what game did he get that dubious distinction though? I'd say it was well before 51!

Anyone who says Peters was worse than Boulton I can't agree with at all. Peters was on the ice for 2 goals scored in just a little better than half the games Boulton played for us. Man I feel the need to say it again, but I HATED that guy. Definitely worst forward we've had in the many years I've watched this team.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
So I guess now we can rightfully crown Boulton the UNDISPUTED WORST forward to EVER play for our team right? I wonder who has the most games by a forward for the Devils, without even being on the ice for a goal scored by the Devils? It's obviously Boulton. I wonder though at what game did he get that dubious distinction though? I'd say it was well before 51!

Anyone who says Peters was worse than Boulton I can't agree with at all. Peters was on the ice for 2 goals scored in just a little better than half the games Boulton played for us. Man I feel the need to say it again, but I HATED that guy. Definitely worst forward we've had in the many years I've watched this team.
At least Eric Boulton threw some big hits, played some defense, and would at least get a few scoring chances.

I'd take Boulton any day of the week over Andrew Peters.

As for most obscure Devil, how about Ricard Persson?

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote