HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIII - The "No, you go first" edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 10:12 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

vCash: 500
^ Luongo would actually make Florida a tougher opponent for the Devils, despite the Lulz he provides.

We never face the Leafs in the postseason anyway(and won't for the foreseeable future) so if LOLongo wants to spend the rest of his career there, it's all good.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
^ Luongo would actually make Florida a tougher opponent for the Devils, despite the Lulz he provides.

We never face the Leafs in the postseason anyway(and won't for the foreseeable future) so if LOLongo wants to spend the rest of his career there, it's all good.
Actually Glen I think if we face Luongo in the playoffs we could beat him. Top fact that Longopadsman is a CHOKE ARTIST in the playoffs as he proved the last two years(Pathetic SCF series in 11) as well as others, and the fact that Lundqvist, and Clemmensen, and Bryz gave us problems historically, and we beat them in the playoffs I think we can beat him in the playoffs. We can definitely find a way.

This team struggles against BIG goalies with large equipment in the regular season. Lundqvist, Clemmy, monster Isles jabroni, Ben Bishop, ect. The only big goalie that we have mopped the floor with over the last couple years particularly is ironically enough is former Leafs goalie. The monster five hole Gustavsson.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:07 PM
goalvalchuk17

So what do you guys say the chance of an 82 game season is? I say 20% but that might be too high.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:10 PM
CerebralGenesis

There's a fairly good chance they cram in all 82 games. They have this full week to meet and get a deal done to get the games in. It wouldn't shock me if they pulled it off.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:14 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

It wouldn't surprise me either way. I really don't know what to think. I am not expecting a season, but would not be surprised to have some kind of forced full season. I just want hockey, holy ****.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:23 PM
goalvalchuk17

Yea, nothing would surprise me at this point. But I can't be that optimistic until there's an actual meeting :/

Old
10-19-2012, 11:32 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
I say less than 5%. There really hasn't been as much movement as people think. Owners offered 50-50 yes, an immediate 50-50 with escrow payments and every other aspect favoring them. Players offered a 'loose' 50-50 a few years down the road (i.e. it might not ever get that low from their perspective) and didn't even negotiate the other CBA parts. Plus you're still talking about Bettman and Fehr, two of the biggest egos in sports.

I think we'll know by the end of November whether there'll be a season 'at all'.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

If they're only gonna present proposals once a month, and go in between a month in between with proposals then who knows? That's how often we'll get one at this rate. We're on pace to have another proposal in about 4 weeks. With some BS dinners with Daly, and Bettman, and the Fehr's in between. Not to mentions tons of ''No progress in CBA negotiation'' messages.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:49 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I mean the proposals haven't come as glacially as they did during 2004-05 but it doesn't seem like the players are interested in anything now except HRR. And the owners aren't really 'negotiating' on anything but that too, and trying to win the PR war. At least they offered a system, a system 100% in their favor granted but the players didn't even attempt to counter that.

There has to be some form of movement before the end of November if either side actually is interested in having a season though. If you junk the Winter Classic and the All-Star game, the owners have far, far, far less incentive to actually negotiate and play half a season and that's the only real leverage the players have.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I hope they languish in mediocrity as long as he's there because he said the most important thing was going to a team that's gonna give him a chance to win. Suter, and Parise are an upgrade, but I still see them BATTLING for a playoff spot if even ending up there. The Wild haven't won a playoff series since the month before Parise, and Suter were drafted into the NHL.
Exactly. Going there and saying it was because he wants to win was the most transparent lie possible. It was all about the money, and if he had just said that I might have respected his choice more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post
mirtle: Roberto Luongo to the Leafs beginning to make too much sense not to happen http://t.co/98Prlpks
I thought Burke had made a big show about the price for Luongo being too high, and that he wouldn't be extorted like that. Now all of the sudden it makes a lot of sense?

Old
10-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

He did take a discount though. One that allowed them to sign his buddy Ryan!

Reading Russo's blog the other day where he interviewed Parise, he was trying to bait him into saying Leipold is part to blame on this. He said he wasn't pointing any fingers. He complained about the owners, but didn't wanna bury his owner. I was surprised at the comments from readers. A lot of them weren't happy, and one said he was whining, and seems like a whiner, and hoped it wasn't a sign of things to come during his time with their team.

Parise is a fraud for those comments, and his opinion should be invalid. Didn't he get $10 million already this year as ''insurance'' for the lockout? Not too many others are getting that.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Exactly. Going there and saying it was because he wants to win was the most transparent lie possible. It was all about the money, and if he had just said that I might have respected his choice more.

I thought Burke had made a big show about the price for Luongo being too high, and that he wouldn't be extorted like that. Now all of the sudden it makes a lot of sense?
Of course Burke's gonna say that. Especially with all this time, he's probably in a better position than Vancouver to wait out the details. I think it's more important for Gillis to move Luongo than it is for Burke to acquire him, but I'd understand someone arguing otherwise.

Also, Luongo to the Panthers would make them an outright contender. Goalie was their big hole last year, and Luongo is way better than most fans are willing to admit. But they may not want to jam up Markstrom with a guy signed til he's Brodeur's age.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I wouldn't want Luongo on my team. I don't trust him in the playoffs. I still think Vancouver could have won in 2011 if Schneider started a game. That or if Luongo wasn't so brutal. Can't say he cost them the series cause they were shutout, and only scored one goal in two of his worst games. Vigneault kept pulling him, but would go right back to him the next game. He probably didn't wanna cause goalie controversy, and the big contract with Roberto as the franchise goalie.

Now the Devils on the other hand have been historically bad against him. I'm sure he has Lundqvist like numbers when facing Brodeur. Marty did win number 400? I think it was down there in Florida over him though.

Old
10-20-2012, 04:21 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
Just be patient. There should be more meeting coming soon.

Give it a month!
I don't see time will do the trick. Players backing down on money and league upping some things outside of paychecks is only way imo.
Players go with notion - we are reason money is rolling in, so we should take bigger chunk. What I see is that they have fail-safe contracts. Gomes anyone? Would ANY of us survive the cut with such results, regardless of business type ??? Hell, even owners loose their ownership with such results. Why would players not pay their share for extra bad performances or when they manage to attract whopping 38 people to watch them ... Yeah right, I've thought so ...

Old
10-20-2012, 10:10 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I find it comical there's even Luongo rumors now right after CBA negotiations 'took a step backward'.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:21 AM
apice3*

82 game season is entirely possible until october 25th. Shortened season is possible from october 26th til the cancellation of the classic (rumored around thanksgiving.) after the classic is wiped there is no point of a season. Thats the true deadline.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:56 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
82 game season is entirely possible until october 25th. Shortened season is possible from october 26th til the cancellation of the classic (rumored around thanksgiving.) after the classic is wiped there is no point of a season. Thats the true deadline.
That's very true. The WC is the biggest marketing gimmick the NHL has to get people to tune in before the playoffs.

Although what would be really intense is if they played a 28 game season intra-conference, Top 8 make the playoffs (none of this divisional crap get the Top 3 seeds automatically), and then it's normal.

That would be incredible...but the owners would never do it.

Old
10-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

I'm disgusted with the players, they're already making millions from their bloated contracts yet that still isn't enough, they want more. Everybody involved is a greedy POS with no idea how much damage they are causing. This league was just starting to regain some of it's lost popularity, and now it has taken a huge step backwards. I don't know if it'll ever be the same for me, its scary but this is easily the least interested I've been in hockey in forever...and the Devils just came off a season where they made the ****ing Stanley Cup Finals!

Old
10-20-2012, 02:14 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Well it's easy to say you're not interested now because there's no sign hockey's coming back anytime soon, really. The real test of fan apathy and how much this lockout will affect everyone is how you and other fans feel after they do come back.

Old
10-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Nick0930

I'll still watch, just like everyone else that was a big fan before the lockout. I'd be a huge hypocrite if I said I wouldn't.

Old
10-20-2012, 02:29 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I have to admit I'm having trouble getting into the AHL or what our other players are doing overseas though, it feels like THAT is supporting the lockout, a lot more than coming back after it's finished feels. I should watch the AHL just to see our kids but it's like picking up a league from scratch, I barely know over half our roster.

Old
10-20-2012, 02:39 PM
apice3*

the only fans who wont come back are the casual fans who barely watch the regular season. I dont believe anyone with enough fandom to post religiously on a hockey message board has the balls to walk away from the sport.

Old
10-20-2012, 02:58 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
I wouldn't want Luongo on my team. I don't trust him in the playoffs. I still think Vancouver could have won in 2011 if Schneider started a game. That or if Luongo wasn't so brutal. Can't say he cost them the series cause they were shutout, and only scored one goal in two of his worst games. Vigneault kept pulling him, but would go right back to him the next game. He probably didn't wanna cause goalie controversy, and the big contract with Roberto as the franchise goalie.

Now the Devils on the other hand have been historically bad against him. I'm sure he has Lundqvist like numbers when facing Brodeur. Marty did win number 400? I think it was down there in Florida over him though.
the only team marty has a losing record against. 6-12

Old
10-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
the only team marty has a losing record against. 6-12
Yeah I know. We never had much luck against them before Longopadsman got there, and then we were even worse against them. Not to mention we weren't good against him before he got there when he played for Florida either. I'm not sure for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if Luongo in games against Brodeur has as ridiculous of a record as Lundqvist does in regular season games. I'm sure Longoman has won 2/3rds of the games career.

Schneider played for them this year when we faced them, but when Maclean was coach I'm pretty sure we got shut out up there. One of the Sedin's scored a penalty shot. I remember getting killed by them in Newark back in 09/10 when Lemaire was coach. We got shutout, and blown out by him one other time back in 07 or 08. I think last time we beat them Clemmensen was in net. I'm pretty sure Luongo wasn't in net that night either. Probably the only time we beat them since the last lockout.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
the only fans who wont come back are the casual fans who barely watch the regular season. I dont believe anyone with enough fandom to post religiously on a hockey message board has the balls to walk away from the sport.
Ya, let's not lie to ourselves. We'll all be back. We won't be pleased with the NHL brass, but we'll be back for the Devils at least.

Some Toronto fans had an interesting idea. They will only watch Maple Leafs games after the league is back, essentially becoming Leafs fans instead of NHL fans. I don't think I would do that, but it's an interesting distinction to make.

Closed Thread