HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

The Luongo Thread [Mod Warning in OP]

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
If Reimer/Scrivens bomb, is that bad?
It is if your Brian Burke.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Subbanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Your right. Burke is good at trading. But only with deals that involve Anaheim. Which is pretty much all his trades.
And Calgary, Nashville, and Boston (debate the Kessel trade, pay homage to the Kaberle one).

Hey, I wish he was worse too. With the rest of the confounding factors in Toronto (most attention, most pressure, largest fanbase), a mediocre GM and some mismanagement could really keep the Leafs in the basement for eternity. Unfortunately they have Burke and he is doing what he can to pull the franchise together.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Exactly. Gillis made that quote because he wanted to curb any backlash when the trade is made. He knows he's not getting much back.
Or he knows that it doesn't matter who he gets they aren't going to have the impact of a franchise goalie.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Numbers

Van

Connolly, colbourne, Kadri, 1st

T.O.

Luongo

Toronto only needs one more piece to start becoming a contender and that is #1 centre. Colbourne and Kadri certainly do not project that way and I think Toronto fans will agree. They also do not look likely to displace grabovski or bozak. Absolutely no impact players lost for Toronto.

Connolly helps fill a short term need and is a full rental and cap dump for T.O. Kadri and colbourne help build prospect pool but neither are going to make a big impact anytime soon.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Superpest
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Van

T.O.

Luongo

Toronto only needs one more piece to start becoming a contender and that is #1 centre. Colbourne and Kadri certainly do not project that way and I think Toronto fans will agree. They also do not look likely to displace grabovski or bozak. Absolutely no impact players lost for Toronto.

Connolly helps fill a short term need and is a full rental and cap dump for T.O. Kadri and colbourne help build prospect pool but neither are going to make a big impact anytime soon.
We have absolutely zero need for Connolly or his brutal contract.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:28 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post
Frattin would look good on the Canucks' third or fourth lines, but beyond that, booth/higgins are better fits on the 2nd line than Macarthur and Franson would be our 6th or 7th dman.

So we are getting nothing of high value back other than a first, which could very well end up being a 2nd and therefore losing most of its value.

Does not make one bit of sense for the Canucks to trade a number 1 goaltender for a package with little to no value to them.
so what do you expect for luongo?

nevermind...

Old
10-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot & the Leafs had Schneider & Luongo in goal what would YOU want back in a deal for Luongo?

Old
10-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Superpest
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Not garbage?

Old
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Van

T.O.

Luongo

Way too much. As for Connolly's contract..

Connolly has 1 year left on his deal. Unless Burke plans to acquire a player or a combination of players worth up to $4.7 million after the trade, trading solid long term assets just to get rid of a player who's slated to be a UFA in 2013 doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if Toronto doesn't give VC any salary back in a Luongo trade, Burke will still have up to $2 million+ in cap space after the season starts. Cap space for the upcoming season (assuming the current CBA is in place or the new NHL offer), and overpaid players with 1 year remaining on their contracts are not a problem at this point.

Old
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post
And as mentioned a hundred times before, the Canucks are more than happy to keep him and go with the best goaltending tandem in the league with a very, very solid team in front of them.
thats easy to say but you have to also take into account the $6.7 million dollars that luongo will get paid, as well as potential locker room problems of having luongo on the team after hinting that he wants out.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:32 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Exactly. Gillis made that quote because he wanted to curb any backlash when the trade is made. He knows he's not getting much back.
Luongo is one of the best goalies in the league and is better than any player on the Leafs. Of course the trade might not improve them.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
And that's fine, but this thread exists to discuss proposals for Luongo and potential landing places (hopefully) based on any news that might come out. That's why the last thread was opened. That's why this thread is a continuation.

If the Canucks are happy keeping him as part of the best goaltender tandem in the league, why is he being shopped? I mean, I'm sure that's a fantastic back up plan, but it's pretty obvious at this point that Plan A is to get something for him. Great goaltending tandems don't usually spell post-season success.

With that said, I'm with people who say that if Gillis can't improve the Canucks he might as well keep Luongo. If Vancouver with Luongo is better than Vancouver with any of the offered packages for Luongo then you keep him and move on. Don't sell him for nothing unless you just have to.
We'd be fine trading him for a reasonable return. But if certain fans say we have no choice but to trade him for scraps because they're the only team interested, we'd rather not trade him and keep the insurance.

Old
L4cer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanned View Post
Burke is too good at trading to give up anything more in this situation.
... are we still talking about Brian Burke?

Old
Superpest
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Way too much. As for Connolly's contract..

Connolly has 1 year left on his deal. Unless Burke plans to acquire a player or a combination of players worth up to $5.5 million after the trade, trading long term assets just to get rid of a player who's slated to be a UFA in 2013 doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if Toronto doesn't give VC any salary back in a Luongo trade, Burke will still have up to $2 million+ in cap space after the season starts. Cap space for the upcoming season (assuming the current CBA is in place or the new NHL offer), and overpaid players on 1 year deals are not a problem at this point.
We just don't need Connolly whatsoever. Let alone his contract for just 1 year. We are in win now mode, so "1 year left on his deal" means a lot more to us than it does for you guys.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
thats easy to say but you have to also take into account the $6.7 million dollars that luongo will get paid, as well as potential locker room problems of having luongo on the team after hinting that he wants out.
Trade us Kessel, as he obviously can't handle the Toronto media and wants to go to a contender.

Oh wait, I have no basis for saying that. Carry on.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:34 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot & the Leafs had Schneider & Luongo in goal what would YOU want back in a deal for Luongo?
well reports say that the canucks want a young forward who can step into the lineup now on an entry level contract and contribute now.

so kadri, colborne, frattin come to mind. i think those are reasonable expectations, but i dont think additional 1st round picks, top prospects, etc. are reasonable additions.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Scurr

Quote:
We don't think it's a problem and Gillis is stubborn enough to find out if Burke wants to call his bluff. If Burke decides that's the best way to go, who's in a better position? The team with Scrivens/Reimer or Lu/Schneider?

Old
TMI
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanned View Post
And Calgary, Nashville, and Boston (debate the Kessel trade, pay homage to the Kaberle one).

Hey, I wish he was worse too. With the rest of the confounding factors in Toronto (most attention, most pressure, largest fanbase), a mediocre GM and some mismanagement could really keep the Leafs in the basement for eternity. Unfortunately they have Burke and he is doing what he can to pull the franchise together.
That was a pretty good trade for Nashville, too.

Old
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I don't think the Aquilini's mind paying Luongo's salary (not cap hit) if Van is still a competitive team. Also how come no one reads any of the "Luongo is positive about being in Vancouver" articles that are made? At the Canucks Alumni Golf Tourny he said he was perfectly fine with coming back as deals like this take longer then usual.

I swear people only remember the negative when it comes to Luongo.

Quote:
well reports say that the canucks want a young forward who can step into the lineup now on an entry level contract and contribute now.

so kadri, colborne, frattin come to mind. i think those are reasonable expectations, but i dont think additional 1st round picks, top prospects, etc. are reasonable additions.
Thats not what I asked.

If you had our tandem & were trading Luongo what would you want to get for him coming back to your team in a trade ?

Old
10-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Superpest
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:

Like I said Frattin would be a terrific fit on the Canucks, but he does not hold enough value to make a difference in a trade at this point and time.

I strongly believe one of Colborne or Kadri would have to be included, as well as another valuable piece.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:36 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Trade us Kessel, as he obviously can't handle the Toronto media and wants to go to a contender.

Oh wait, I have no basis for saying that. Carry on.
if you owned the team would be be crazy about paying a guy 6.7 million if he's not a legit starter? its a legit question. everyone always talks about the cap, which is important, but the owners have to shell out a lot of money for a guy that many people think is not necessary.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:38 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
I don't think the Aquilini's mind paying Luongo's salary (not cap hit) if Van is still a competitive team. Also how come no one reads any of the "Luongo is positive about being in Vancouver" articles that are made? At the Canucks Alumni Golf Tourny he said he was perfectly fine with coming back as deals like this take longer then usual.

ya he's ok to come back, but at the end of the day he is going to be moved. and the recent reports (however reliable they are) say that a deal is in place with toronto.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Scurr

Quote:
if you owned the team would be be crazy about paying a guy 6.7 million if he's not a legit starter? its a legit question. everyone always talks about the cap, which is important, but the owners have to shell out a lot of money for a guy that many people think is not necessary.
Our boy Fancesco will pay a guy half that to play in the minors. It's not a problem.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
When Aquilini tells Gillis to get rid of Luongo, we'll call you. Don't hold your breath though.

Old
10-20-2012, 05:40 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:

Thats not what I asked.

If you had our tandem & were trading Luongo what would you want to get for him coming back to your team in a trade ?
how could a businessman be completely ok with just shelling out 6.7 million dollars for someone that many people think is not necessary? thats a lot of money.

Closed Thread