HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bring back the Battle of Quebec!

Old
09-26-2012, 03:51 AM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

vCash: 500
Bring back the Battle of Quebec!

Quebec Nordiques VS Montreal Canadiens 1982 Playoffs Game 5: Thirty years ago this year. We bounced the Habs out of the playoffs. One of my proudest moments as a Nordiques fan. I was e-c-s-t-a-t-i-c!

So nice to see those players I loved so much again. Hamel played for Quebec in 1982 but would play for Montreal in 1984.

The hated Habs did it to us in 1984 at the Good Friday Massacre (with a lot of help form the referees (les fantômes du Forum) )

but we got our revenge in 1985.

I miss the rivalry.

Last edited by dennilfloss: 09-26-2012 at 02:12 PM.
dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:53 PM
tony d
Goofy for Commish

I do too. Back in the 80's there weren't many rivalries that where better than this 1.

09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

The good friday brawl is one of the more heated and hateful brawls/melees/donnybrooks I've ever seen. I've seen other brawls (god only knows the bruins have been in a bunch) but you could say the hate in everyone of those guys eyes. And since quite a few were from the area it seems like most of them might've been brewing on hate for awhile.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:49 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

The (occasionally intense) dislike between Quebec and Montreal goes back a long long time, probably back to the 1800s when Montreal finally got bigger & a more commercial metropolis and started referring to the provincial capital as a big village (they still use the term village to deride us). Indeed, there remains a contrast in mentalities between the two cities to this day with the political power being in Quebec and the economic power in Montreal.

Jean Béliveau was a very popular player in Quebec City ~1948-1952, packing Le Colisée and loving life in our city. Montreal had drafted him, so he couldn't play for another professional team without a trade but the (junior) Citadelles and (senior) Quebec Aces were not part of professional leagues, so he could remain and play in Quebec City without having to report to the Habs. The Habs used a dirty trick and bought the whole league & made it professional, so Béliveau was forced to exile himself to go play for Montreal in 1953.

20 years later, there was the controversy about the contract the WHA Nordiques offered Guy Lafleur in 1973 and how Sam Pollock is considered to have tricked Lafleur into signing long-term for Montreal before he learned of Quebec's final (and better) offer that very afternoon. It is said in Quebec City that Lafleur cried later that day.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=jGXs...0offer&f=false

When Montreal-based Radio-Canada covered the Nordiques win of the Avco Cup, their La Soirée du Hockey reporters kept making condescending comments about this not being the Stanley Cup, etc... even while interviewing players in the dressing room after the final win against Winnipeg (in what had been an awesome, competitive final series).

Finally, The Canadiens ownership voted against the WHA-NHL fusion in 1978 and they also voted against us joining during the 1979 merger. The two teams were also owned by competing breweries during the early 80s and all the above-mentioned slights were still fresh to minds, so the 'hatred' from our side was indeed genuine and palpable & they happily returned it. Also The Habs were considered the 'Anglo'/federalist team whereas the Nords were considered more representative of the French-speaking/sovereignist rest of the province (even though Quebec City itself is a bastion of federalism, and has always been, whereas independence-minded vocal celebrities were way more abundant in Montreal).

Last edited by dennilfloss: 09-27-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old
09-27-2012, 10:08 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Are you telling me Québec City isn't a big village?

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:44 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

I'll tell you later. I ate too much for dinner and now have to go to the bathroom and take a Montreal.

j/k

Old
09-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Edit: Nevermind.

Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Higher quality (1080p) of the Good Friday Brawl game here. (includes only the fight and brawls)

"THIS IS A BRAWL TO END ALL BRAWLS!"

Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Some of the greatest hockey ever. Bring back indeed.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:32 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
Quebec Nordiques VS Montreal Canadiens 1982 Playoffs Game 5: Thirty years ago this year. We bounced the Habs out of the playoffs. One of my proudest moments as a Nordiques fan. I was e-c-s-t-a-t-i-c!

So nice to see those players I loved so much again. Hamel played for Quebec in 1982 but would play for Montreal in 1984.

The hated Habs did it to us in 1984 at the Good Friday Massacre (with a lot of help form the referees (les fantômes du Forum) )

but we got our revenge in 1985.

I miss the rivalry.
While you certainly did get your revenge in 85, I’m wondering why you stopped there? No mention of 87 or 93? Why’s that??

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:28 AM
rmchahn

I love Dick Irvin. But in those days the way he pronounced "Nordiques", to me it sounded like he was saying "Nordicks" with the emphasis on last syllable. Probably not intentional on his part, but for me added to the rivalry.

rmchahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:48 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Bring back black Friday!!!!!

one of the craziest brawls (hockey and non hockey) I have ever seen

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
While you certainly did get your revenge in 85, I’m wondering why you stopped there? No mention of 87 or 93? Why’s that??
Because when I came across those three full games on Youtube, it prompted me to post this thread. With people having no NHL hockey to watch at the moment, I thought folks here would enjoy rewatching these games.

Did not find the 87 & 93 games when I searched Youtube just now using the 'long video' filter.

Last edited by dennilfloss: 09-28-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old
09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchahn View Post
I love Dick Irvin. But in those days the way he pronounced "Nordiques", to me it sounded like he was saying "Nordicks" with the emphasis on last syllable. Probably not intentional on his part, but for me added to the rivalry.
It was probably neither intentional, nor Dick on his part.

Old
09-29-2012, 08:52 AM
SealsFan

Nothing better than regional rivalries and this one is certainly missed.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Scott1980

Too bad 82 was only best of 5!

Last edited by Scott1980: 10-16-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: incorrect year entered!
Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:44 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Higher quality (1080p) of the Good Friday Brawl game here. (includes only the fight and brawls)

"THIS IS A BRAWL TO END ALL BRAWLS!"

That effectively ended Hamel's career. He was never the same

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:16 AM
BrimStone64

I think there is a chance be a Quebec franchise again. Not a strong chance. Quebecers are notoriously cheap. That may play a role in Bettman's office. Many franchises have collapsed in Quebec. Nordiques, Expos, Alouettes mulitply times, even the fabled Habs were in dire straits when George Gillett purchased the team

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I think there is a chance be a Quebec franchise again. Not a strong chance. Quebecers are notoriously cheap. That may play a role in Bettman's office. Many franchises have collapsed in Quebec. Nordiques, Expos, Alouettes mulitply times, even the fabled Habs were in dire straits when George Gillett purchased the team
Blaming the fans is never a good idea (and false). These are the same fans that now pay through the nose for Habs tickets, have put down season ticket deposits for a team that doesn't even exist through J'ai ma place, and the people who came in millions to Expos games despite never having a real major league park (in ambiance and/or quality) throughout the team's entire history.

The people who deserve the blame are the business people of Quebec and the government. Before Peladeau's drive for the Nordiques, Chuck Bronfman was virtually the only rich guy in the entire province who was willing to get up off his butt to help. The government built arguably the worst stadium ever in the Big O and then shut the public purse tight before the Nordiques came around.

Now I actually oppose public financing for stadiums, but if I was Claude Brochu I would want to punch everybody in the National Assembly for their disappearing act when the Expos needed a subsidy.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote