HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Luongo Thread [Mod Warning in OP]

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
ya he's ok to come back, but at the end of the day he is going to be moved. and the recent reports (however reliable they are) say that a deal is in place with toronto.

And your point wasn't that he would be moved it was that he would be some sort of locker room distraction which has been put to bed by the man himself!

And our GM came right out & said they were false.

Quote:
how could a businessman be completely ok with just shelling out 6.7 million dollars for someone that many people think is not necessary? thats a lot of money.
I believe a businessman would do business on what he feels is right & wrong & not what other people "think".

Old
10-20-2012, 06:40 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
if you owned the team would be be crazy about paying a guy 6.7 million if he's not a legit starter? its a legit question. everyone always talks about the cap, which is important, but the owners have to shell out a lot of money for a guy that many people think is not necessary.
I'm not really sure when Luongo stop being a legitimate starter. The guy isn't too far removed from a gold medal, a Cup run (yeah I don't care how that went, he still was one of two starters in the entire league playing those games, and he can't score goals so we're leaving it at that... seriously) and a Vezina nomination. It isn't like he fell off of the face of the Earth last year. He posted a 2.41 and a .919. Those numbers aren't starter numbers? Pekka Rinne is regularly regarded as one of the top two or three goalies in the league at the moment (rightfully so) and his numbers weren't dramatically better. There is a difference between him not being a legitimate starter and the Canucks having young, good goalies coming up and potentially needing to clear some room.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
ya he's ok to come back, but at the end of the day he is going to be moved. and the recent reports (however reliable they are) say that a deal is in place with toronto.
Maybe it's because Burke is actually willing to give to get? The lack of an established goaltender has been a constant hassle for him, and he may never get an opportunity to get an elite goaltender like this again?

Old
10-20-2012, 06:41 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Our boy Fancesco will pay a guy half that to play in the minors. It's not a problem.
luongo wont play in the minors and hed still get the 6.7, not following

Old
10-20-2012, 06:42 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Maybe it's because Burke is actually willing to give to get? The lack of an established goaltender has been a constant hassle for him, and he may never get an opportunity to get an elite goaltender like this again?
oh ya i agree, and i believe that kadri or colborne will be going back in a trade for luongo, its some of the other pieces that some canucks fans expect to be added.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Xav
BoVat Horseman

Quote:
Clearly you're not following. He said our owners would be fine paying for a player to play in the minors if it meant our team being better.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Subbanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
That was a pretty good trade for Nashville, too.
I completely agree, since their financial situation dictated that trade as a necessity. I also realize that Lombardi and Franson haven't quite worked out in Toronto (although Franson will return after the lockout and is still a nice blueline piece).

But the point is he gave up Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney to make that trade. The organization would have been improved if he even managed to trade those two for spare change.

Burke is an excellent trader.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Scurr

Quote:
If the owner will pay 3m for a guy to play in the minors, I don't see why 6.7m would be a problem to keep Lu around. Canuck ownership has shown they're more interested in winning than grinding every dollar out of the team. He's also pretty close with Lu, apparently.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:45 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not really sure when Luongo stop being a legitimate starter. The guy isn't too far removed from a gold medal, a Cup run (yeah I don't care how that went, he still was one of two starters in the entire league playing those games, and he can't score goals so we're leaving it at that... seriously) and a Vezina nomination. It isn't like he fell off of the face of the Earth last year. He posted a 2.41 and a .919. Those numbers aren't starter numbers? Pekka Rinne is regularly regarded as one of the top two or three goalies in the league at the moment (rightfully so) and his numbers weren't dramatically better. There is a difference between him not being a legitimate starter and the Canucks having young, good goalies coming up and potentially needing to clear some room.
There is way too much logic and reason in this post. If Lu becomes a leaf, they'll name a city after him. And if he posted those numbers now with the Leafs, they'd be talking about Crosby as a fair return.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:45 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I expect Kulemin to be included. I think Kulemin + Bozak would be a good package for the Nucks.

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kulemin
Higgins-Bozak-Raymond
Volpatti-Lapierre-Kassian

That's one hell of a deep forward group.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:46 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanned View Post
I completely agree, since their financial situation dictated that trade as a necessity. I also realize that Lombardi and Franson haven't quite worked out in Toronto (although Franson will return after the lockout and is still a nice blueline piece).

But the point is he gave up Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney to make that trade. The organization would have been improved if he even managed to trade those two for spare change.

Burke is an excellent trader.
For sure. I was always one to say it was good for both sides, even when I was being shouted down because Nashville got "fleeced" or whatever the term was at the time.

Anyway I guess I shouldn't steer this one off topic. That would be conduct unbecoming or something

Old
10-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I expect Kulemin to be included. I think Kulemin + Bozak would be a good package for the Nucks.

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kulemin
Higgins-Bozak-Raymond

I'm assuming Malhotra lost the steel cage match to Volpatti for a roster spot?

Old
10-20-2012, 06:48 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
If the owner will pay 3m for a guy to play in the minors, I don't see why 6.7m would be a problem to keep Lu around.
ya i guess thats a possible scenario, but usually when players have publicly stated they want to be traded they get traded. look at heatley, murray tried to wait as long as possible to get a better deal, but at the end of the day a better deal didnt come out and he took what he got, which was a decent return, but remember the reaction after that trade was made? everyone thought he got robbed, but i guess it worked out fairly well for ottawa by getting rid of someone that asked for a trade.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:49 PM
FAMOUSfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
If Reimer/Scrivens bomb, is that bad?
It is if you're Rogers/Bell. I doubt they are all that concerned about building a championship team vs making the playoffs a couple times in the next few years, cashing in on leafs playoff pandemonium, and then selling the team for a profit 4-5 years from now.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanned View Post
And Calgary, Nashville, and Boston (debate the Kessel trade, pay homage to the Kaberle one).

Hey, I wish he was worse too. With the rest of the confounding factors in Toronto (most attention, most pressure, largest fanbase), a mediocre GM and some mismanagement could really keep the Leafs in the basement for eternity. Unfortunately they have Burke and he is doing what he can to pull the franchise together.
He's been the GM for five years. And he's failing to pull the franchise together.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Kershaw

I predict Luongo to go the Panthers.

Mattias
Upshall
2nd

Old
10-20-2012, 06:53 PM
FAMOUSfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I'm assuming Malhotra lost the steel cage match to Volpatti for a roster spot?
Both Manny and the honninggraevling were instantly KO'd by Volpatti's surprise i'm no longer on IR finisher move.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Scurr

Quote:
ya i guess thats a possible scenario, but usually when players have publicly stated they want to be traded they get traded. look at heatley, murray tried to wait as long as possible to get a better deal, but at the end of the day a better deal didnt come out and he took what he got, which was a decent return, but remember the reaction after that trade was made? everyone thought he got robbed, but i guess it worked out fairly well for ottawa by getting rid of someone that asked for a trade.
He will get traded, he won't get given away. If that takes some time, so be it. Murray waited until he got the right deal, Gillis is doing the same.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Subbanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
He's been the GM for five years. And he's failing to pull the franchise together.
Wrong. Burke has made a few mistakes (in hindsight - like all GMs) but for the large part has brought vast improvement to the franchise in terms of incoming/outgoing personnel. That the failure of the on ice product rests on the shoulder of the GM is a laughable misconception. It can be more justifiably focused on special teams, coaching, goaltending, and the general confounding factors (pressure, media idiocy, fans unrealistic expectations) of Toronto. Not to mention the oft-ignored factor of pure chance that is inherent in sports.

He has brought in highly acclaimed hockey men (coaching, special team coaches, etc.) for all of these suffering departments that all objective critics lauded when they first happened. These experienced and renowned coaches and hockey minds didn't work out. This is not Brian Burke's fault. Your statement makes an erroneous association between his position as a GM and the success of his on-ice product.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:01 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kulemin
Higgins-Bozak-Raymond

It's marginally better than the one the Canucks have now. We don't need more 2nd-3rd line tweeners, we have enough of those.

You could trade us James Reimer for a 3rd and we'd have a deep solid goalie group too... It wouldn't be because we added Reimer... Its because we're already solid.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:02 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
He will get traded, he won't get given away. If that takes some time, so be it. Murray waited until he got the right deal, Gillis is doing the same.
in situations where one team takes back a lot of money for an older player, like luongo's contract, the value returning usually isnt that great. look what the cancucks gave up for booth. pretty much nothing.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:03 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I predict Luongo to go the Panthers.

Mattias
Upshall
2nd
That's horrible. Marginal 3rd liner, a cap dump, and a 2nd?

At least have the decency to include a 1st.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
in situations where one team takes back a lot of money for an older player, like luongo's contract, the value returning usually isnt that great. look what the cancucks gave up for booth. pretty much nothing.
There is one key minor difference.

Luongo>>>>>>>>>Booth

Old
10-20-2012, 07:04 PM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Van

Connolly, colbourne, Kadri, 1st

T.O.

Luongo

Toronto only needs one more piece to start becoming a contender and that is #1 centre. Colbourne and Kadri certainly do not project that way and I think Toronto fans will agree. They also do not look likely to displace grabovski or bozak. Absolutely no impact players lost for Toronto.

Connolly helps fill a short term need and is a full rental and cap dump for T.O. Kadri and colbourne help build prospect pool but neither are going to make a big impact anytime soon.
Gross overpayment by Toronto

Old
10-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Subbanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
There is one key minor difference.

Luongo>>>>>>>>>Booth
Goalie market <<<<<< forward market

Closed Thread