Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Watch the Blades-Broncos live again last night and Adam Lowry was once again dominant. Had 2-3 HUGE hits and blocked a ton of shots down the stretch. The kid is a force.

Interesting to note that Swift Current put him on LW on the top line after the acquisition of Brent Benson from the Blades.
Thanks for all the info.

I haven't had any chances to go out west yet this year, so I'm really glad someone is on top of it.

I'm also really glad that Lowry is doing so well. I was constantly pumping him up to the rest of the Winnipeg fan base all last year, so I'm really glad he's making me look relatively smart.

Old
10-20-2012, 03:54 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
I cant wait to pay money to see Lowry and Scheifele play live. These guys will be great players.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:58 PM
JetsHomer

Thanks for doing updates garret. It's really appreciated.

Old
10-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Seconded. Really enjoy getting all our prospect updates in one place. Thanks for all the hard work

Old
10-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Something I feel worth commenting on is that in the last deal the NHL proposed, teams would retain rights to drafted European players (out of Europe) for 4 seasons instead of the 2 years we currently have. I would love that clause, players like Pettersson-Wentzel would still be in our system, who at just 20 has a .921svp, 2.21gaa in 5gp in the Elitserien this year. Just an interesting note on prospects.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:29 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Watch the Blades-Broncos live again last night and Adam Lowry was once again dominant. Had 2-3 HUGE hits and blocked a ton of shots down the stretch. The kid is a force.

Interesting to note that Swift Current put him on LW on the top line after the acquisition of Brent Benson from the Blades.
Thanks RS appreciate the reports on our prospects.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:33 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
Seconded. Really enjoy getting all our prospect updates in one place. Thanks for all the hard work
Yea Garret much appreciated

Old
10-20-2012, 10:45 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea Garret much appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
Quote:
Thanks guys!
I have to grab the stats to stay on top of things for my work at AIH, but I'm also a huge homer that likes watching all these prospects as I'm bored without any NHL action hahaha

Old
10-21-2012, 12:04 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

CHL Games for today:
Scheifele and Barrie Colts visit Brampton Battalion
Kosmachuk and Guelph Storm visit Sault St Marie Greyhounds
Lowry and Swift Current Broncos visit Prince Albert Raiders

Barrie Colts 1 - Brampton Battalion 4
Last Updated: Final
Scheifele 0-0-0 +0 0pim

Guelph Storm 7 - Sault St Marie Greyhounds 1
Kosmachuk 1-0-1 +2 0pim
1. GUE S. Kosmachuk, (9) (T. Richard), 0:54

Swift Current Broncos 1 - Prince Albert Raiders 4
Lowry 0-0-0 -3 0pim

Arctic Ice Hockey's:
Winnipeg Jets CHL Prospect Tracker - October Edition: Part 3
Written by yours truly. Everyone read it, comment on it and stroke my ego

No other games scheduled today

Last edited by garret9: 10-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 01:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

It's funny hearing how afraid the Brampton play-by-play guy is of Scheifele...
"be hearing his name all day today"
"you basically only want to play defense when you see he's on the ice"
etc...

Old
10-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It's funny hearing how afraid the Brampton play-by-play guy is of Scheifele...
"be hearing his name all day today"
"you basically only want to play defense when you see he's on the ice"
etc...
Hahaha, nice. Scheifele is so intimidating that he instills fear even in opposing teams' commentators... or maybe it's just the pronunciation of his name

Old
10-21-2012, 03:21 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Barrie vs. Brampton: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The good: Rogers TV is now showing OHL games in HD - not sure if this is a permanent change, or if it's only in select arenas, but it looked great. Multiple cameras were used too, as opposed to a single camera at centre ice. Usually, the OHL broadcasts look like a bad VHS tape from the '70's that's been played 500 times - looks great in HD

The bad: the Colts lost 4-1, and looked completely flat. Brampton had a very strong forecheck going all game.

The ugly: Brampton, and specifically Bell, was all over Scheifele all game. Completely shut down. Had some nice plays here and there, but not his usual dangerous self, and appeared to be worn down by the end of the game. A couple of questionable hits on him as well, including one that led to a powerplay in the 1st. Consolation prize: Scheifele finished even on +/-, not that that means much.

1st regulation loss for the Colts in 10 games.

Old
10-21-2012, 03:54 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Barrie vs. Brampton: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The good: Rogers TV is now showing OHL games in HD - not sure if this is a permanent change, or if it's only in select arenas, but it looked great. Multiple cameras were used too, as opposed to a single camera at centre ice. Usually, the OHL broadcasts look like a bad VHS tape from the '70's that's been played 500 times - looks great in HD

The bad: the Colts lost 4-1, and looked completely flat. Brampton had a very strong forecheck going all game.

The ugly: Brampton, and specifically Bell, was all over Scheifele all game. Completely shut down. Had some nice plays here and there, but not his usual dangerous self, and appeared to be worn down by the end of the game. A couple of questionable hits on him as well, including one that led to a powerplay in the 1st. Consolation prize: Scheifele finished even on +/-, not that that means much.

1st regulation loss for the Colts in 10 games.
I actually didn't think the Cots were out played. I was also working so I wasn't super observant but a lot of it seemed like bad luck... AA and Cam all should of had a goal each but bad bounces... And the Colts backup was a tad shaky before he was pulled

Old
10-21-2012, 04:33 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I actually didn't think the Cots were out played. I was also working so I wasn't super observant but a lot of it seemed like bad luck... AA and Cam all should of had a goal each but bad bounces... And the Colts backup was a tad shaky before he was pulled
IMHO they were outworked, and Brampton played a sound defensive game. I agree that at least 2 of the 4 goals were definitely soft. 4th goal was not Fontinos fault, IMHO: Colts didn't clear the crease, and Fontinos made two saves before the 3rd shot went in.

It looked like Brampton had a game plan, and they definitely stuck to it. A bit of luck on the soft goals definitely didn't hurt.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 10-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old
10-23-2012, 07:32 AM
slasher911

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88298351@N03/8101810523/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88298351@N03/8101825074/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88298351@N03/8101821432/

Photos of Yasin Cissť against Providence last week. He's one of my favorite players to watch on BU.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
jetkarma

Caught a bit of Kevin Cheveldayoff on 1290's Hockey show today.

He mentioned that Charlie Huddy was out and would be out scouting defensemen for the upcoming draft and that Pascal Vincent would be scouting the QMJHL , where Chevy said he had a lot of contacts and was well thought of.

Didn't hear all but he touched on St. Johns and mentioned Telegin and Burmistrov , Redmond and Melchiori. Hopefully we can get a link to the radio segment?

I am sure other teams are being proactive , but others are not as adamant as Winnipeg is , and for a draft where we have 6 picks in the top three rounds , this can only be a significant positive imo.

Last edited by jetkarma: 10-23-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old
10-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Caught a bit of Kevin Cheveldayoff on 1290's Hockey show today.

He mentioned that Charlie Huddy was out and would be out scouting defensemen for the upcoming draft and that Pascal Vincent would be scouting the QMJHL , where Chevy said he had a lot of contacts and was well thought of.

Didn't hear all but he touched on St. Johns and mentioned Telegin and Burmistrov , Redmond and Melchiori. Hopefully we can get a link to the radio segment?

I am sure other teams are being proactive , but others are not as adamant as Winnipeg is , and for a draft where we have 6 piks in the top three rounds , this can only be a significant positive imo.
This is interesting, the Jets have avoided the QMJHL in the past two drafts(I don't even think the Jets have a dedicated Q scout, unlike the W and O where they do, IIRC), and even ATL avoided the QMJHL ever since the Alex Bourret disaster (down TWICE past Anze Kopitar and Marc Staal, although got Ondrej Pavelec in the 2nd trade down). The QMJHL looks like it's going to have it's strongest draft in a long long long time this year, so it's the perfect year to have an extra pair of eyes over there.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This is interesting, the Jets have avoided the QMJHL in the past two drafts(I don't even think the Jets have a dedicated Q scout, unlike the W and O where they do, IIRC), and even ATL avoided the QMJHL ever since the Alex Bourret disaster (down TWICE past Anze Kopitar and Marc Staal, although got Ondrej Pavelec in the 2nd trade down). The QMJHL looks like it's going to have it's strongest draft in a long long long time this year, so it's the perfect year to have an extra pair of eyes over there.
I agree. This is a great year to have your best hockey personnel out there scouting. Nailing a few high picks in the upcoming draft could have a very positive long-term impact on the franchise.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

I wondered/pondered if this may mean we do draft someone from the Q . It may have been coincindence that we haven't to date , but with more picks , a strong class from the Q and Pascal Vincent being on top of scouting and being in contact with the clubs it looks as if we could indeed have prospects in all three JR. leagues by next year.

I really think the lockout has/would help the Jets re scouting , now I don't want to miss hockey but having Huddy scout prospects , Vincent back in his back yard and Cheveldayoff seeing more prospects more often in person can only be a good thing imo.

Last edited by jetkarma: 10-23-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old
10-23-2012, 04:36 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
SCHEIFELE AND CAMARA TO PLAY IN SUBWAY SUPER SERIES
Story here - Scheifele will be in the Nov 12th game: http://www.barriecolts.com/article/s...y-super-series

Old
10-23-2012, 04:38 PM
JetsHomer

So my random first thought in the draft is I think the jets will really like Nikita Zadorov. Big dman that plays a very physical game with a big shot. Shoots left too. If we could get a really good shutdown leftie to pair with bogosian I'd be happy. Of course it depends where we pick but I've seen him projected in the 10-20 range where I think we will likely pick

Old
10-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
So my random first thought in the draft is I think the jets will really like Nikita Zadorov. Big dman that plays a very physical game with a big shot. Shoots left too. If we could get a really good shutdown leftie to pair with bogosian I'd be happy. Of course it depends where we pick but I've seen him projected in the 10-20 range where I think we will likely pick
I am a big supporter of BPA, so if a D is the BPA in the Jets minds, we should take him. But if we have two guys ranked equal, I am hoping the Jets take a forward. We are flush with D prospects, and already have a fairly young D corps. We need some top end talent up front. We are razor thin at forward prospects, even thinner at potential scoring line forwards.

Not too mention, in general, I prefer going with forwards early in the draft. Forwards are easier to predict. Look at the top D, F, G in the league.

F=Crosby(1), Malkin(2), Stamkos(1), Giroux(22), Tavares(1), Toews(3), Kopitar(11), Spezza(2), Ovechkin(1), St. Louis(Undrafted), etc.
D=Doughty(2), Chara(56), Keith(54), Weber(49), Karlsson(15), Pietreangelo(4), etc
G=Quick(72), Rinne(258), Lundqvist(205), Thomas(217), Kiprusoff(116), etc

This is just a small smattering I assembled in a few minutes. The best forwards tend to cluster in the first round, the best D are a little more over the map, and the goalies are a random shot in the dark. It's why I prefer forwards in general in the first round (not a rule, just based on percentages it's preferable, IMO), and why I support shots in the dark like the Hellebuyck and Phillips in the later rounds.

Old
10-23-2012, 05:25 PM
jetkarma

If we don't have a season we should be picking very high , which changes things ... if we do play we still could be picking in the 8-12 range , this appears to be a very solid draft for skilled , productive forwards.

Cheveldayoff has mentioned you always want an impact player, this may be the best opportunity Winnipeg has to select one for a long/longer while , and I too would prefer a forward that can create offense and produce.

Winnipeg will also have the chance to move up , either for their first pick or for a higher pick than their next scheduled one because of the additional picks acquired. Cheveldayoff also mentioned during the draft last year that he would like to be in a position to manouver up to get a player they wanted in addition to their initial selection , this may be an option this year. Really a big year for securing prospects and depth for this franchise. They are going about the scouting in a very very positive way imo.

Last edited by jetkarma: 10-23-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old
10-23-2012, 05:30 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

CHL Games for today:
Lowry and Swift Current Broncos Lethbridge Hurricanes

Swift Current Broncos 0 - Lethbridge Hurricanes 4
Lowry 0-0-0 -1 4pim
2 - S.C A. Lowry, 4:33 - Roughing, 2 min (PP)
2 - S.C A. Lowry, 13:05 - Boarding, 2 min (PP)

AHL:
Not going to do stats here but reminder that IceCaps play today.
St. John's IceCaps 8 - Portland Pirates 7
Burmi with OT winner from Telegin!!!

Arctic Ice Hockey usually has pre/post-game synopsis and a GDT:
Arctic Ice Hockey

Last edited by garret9: 10-23-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old
10-23-2012, 06:25 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
I wondered/pondered if this may mean we do draft someone from the Q . It may have been coincindence that we haven't to date , but with more picks , a strong class from the Q and Pascal Vincent being on top of scouting and being in contact with the clubs it looks as if we could indeed have prospects in all three JR. leagues by next year.

I really think the lockout has/would help the Jets re scouting , now I don't want to miss hockey but having Huddy scout prospects , Vincent back in his back yard and Cheveldayoff seeing more prospects more often in person can only be a good thing imo.
Obviously at the top end of the draft there can be arguments for several players (outside of Mackinnon and Jones) like Monahan, Lazar, Lindholm and Barkov etc. but the player I think that will eventually be one of the better ones is Jonathan Drouin. Kid is oozing with talent. Strongly believe he has Claude Giroux like upside.

Closed Thread