HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2012, 07:03 PM
  #251
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 500
Of Bickel, Eminger and Gilroy it seems to me that Bickel would have the edge. He's the youngest--if he plays a safe game he has an advantage because of his physical style--kind of like a version of Ken Daneyko.

Gilroy has only played 8 AHL games--he's spent almost his entire pro career in the NHL so the AHL should not be that difficult for him. He's played stronger competition. The first goal by Elkins was his **** up--he tried to force his way past Elkins and got his pocket picked. Gilroy should be our go to guy for Connecticut right now but plays like that are a reason that I'm skeptical about him fitting onto our team--he's a soft guy to begin with and his head isn't always in the game.

Ultimately though the Rangers I think are going to wind up bringing somebody else on board because unless Bickel really takes a step forward the guys we have for the bottom pairing positions aren't really going to cut it.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:04 PM
  #252
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,988
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
It has been reported the Rangers intend to sign him to an NHL contract when the lockout ends.
And where was that reported?

Thirty One is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:31 PM
  #253
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Norfolk up 1-0 early with a SH goal... This year's Whale is a nightmare to watch so far... awful

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:34 PM
  #254
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,631
vCash: 500
2-0
5 on 3 goal. Ugh.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:35 PM
  #255
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
2-0 Norfolk 8 minutes into the game. nice.

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:44 PM
  #256
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
2-0 Norfolk 8 minutes into the game. nice.
All that means is that there is over 85% of the game left. And let's see, this is the 4? 5 game the Whalepack has played?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:45 PM
  #257
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
All that means is that there is over 85% of the game left. And let's see, this is the 4? 5 game the Whalepack has played?
starting to see the beginning of a trend... that's all

2-1!!!

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 07:47 PM
  #258
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,631
vCash: 500
Kyle Jean with the deflection. 3rd goal of the year. Whale going to PP.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 08:50 PM
  #259
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
2nd SH goal allowed tonight, 4-2 Norfolk. LOL...

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:00 PM
  #260
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,364
vCash: 500
Anyone have a stream so that I can watch the 3rd?

haveandare is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:04 PM
  #261
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Anyone have a stream so that I can watch the 3rd?
20 minutes of paaaaaaiiiiin lol

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:06 PM
  #262
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
20 minutes of paaaaaaiiiiin lol
Haha desperate times call for desperate measures

haveandare is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:11 PM
  #263
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Haha desperate times call for desperate measures
lol, it is still early in the season and its only their 4th game, but that is true for all other 29 other teams too... Whale look awful so far this year. Not the "they lost 1 after an 8 game winning streak" awful, I mean really awful, especially the D and in goal

once thing i noticed about stajcer is that he goes down very early getting beat high... call benny allaire quickly!

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:23 PM
  #264
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
lol, it is still early in the season and its only their 4th game, but that is true for all other 29 other teams too... Whale look awful so far this year. Not the "they lost 1 after an 8 game winning streak" awful, I mean really awful, especially the D and in goal

once thing i noticed about stajcer is that he goes down very early getting beat high... call benny allaire quickly!
Yeah they haven't look too good from what I've seen. Certain players are doing well, Jean and Miller most notably I think. Wish I could find a way to watch the end of this.

haveandare is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:34 PM
  #265
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,631
vCash: 500
The Norfolk announcer is friggin annoying.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:40 PM
  #266
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
so disheartening (again)... down 4-3, pressing for the tie, 2 dumb penalties, Norfolk scores 5-3... 3pp goals, 2sh goals for Norfolk. Brutal.

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:50 PM
  #267
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Jesus, is Stajcer ever gonna make a save other than on a routine wrister from 30 feet out? Ufffff

Collins, Pyett, Vernace make Jared Nightingale look like a 3x NHL All-Star D-man... fugly :/

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 09:55 PM
  #268
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 500
Whale lose 6-3 vs Norfolk, are now 0-3-1 on the season (1 point out of a possible 8)... George Bush doesn't care about the CT Whale! Looool

Osminator is offline  
Old
10-20-2012, 10:13 PM
  #269
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,598
vCash: 500
Could be worse. The B-Sens had a 5-0 lead tonight and ended up losing 6-5 in a fight-filled game, including a goalie fight between Lehner and Helenius and Nightingale vs Big Specimen.

bmoak is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 07:39 AM
  #270
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Just curious how Kreider is doing in the AHL?

msv957 is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 09:13 AM
  #271
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Doubt it.

And Sauer will not be healthy. They aren't operating with the assumption he's ever coming back.

Its noted that some here feel Gilroy is a POS. But its wrong Hes not. Hes capable enough as a 3rd pair depth defenseman that can also fill in as a depth forward.

There are 12 forwards signed. No spares.

Gilroy, Bickel, and Eminger all can and have dressed as forwards in the past.

One of them will be the #6 defenseman on any given night.
I could be wrong but I really only think Gilroy is a vet call up if someone gets hurt. He's not a POS but he's not very good either. He didnt do a thing with TB or Ottawa.

Even if Sauer is still it which sure he likely is they have 7 NHL signed Dmen. Yea you are right they could still carry 8 and they have experience subbing in as 4th line wingers if they really have too. Not ideal though.

Maybe Gilroy starts with the Rangers if they ever freaking get to play this yr but I doubt he lasts long and no way I give the guy a one way deal

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 11:22 AM
  #272
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
I think Gilroy is a fine depth player.

The salary cap is going down. Having a group of "black aces" like Gilroy, Eminger, and Bickel who can fill in on both defense and forward at cheap prices is going to go a long way for the team.

Injuries happen.

Having versatile cheap depth players will help.

Del Zotto still needs a new contract. Next summer Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin need new ccontracts. The summer after Kreider, Callahan, Girardi and Lundqvist need new contracts. 2015 Staal.

With the cap decreasing, moving forward having guys that are versatile, imperfect, and cheap are going to be very important.

The reality is no team can have 23 perfect players. Gilroy is on par if not better than most 6-7 defensemen in the league. He's not looking to cash in. He wants a job. He clearly wants familiarity. Torts likes him. Hes from the area. He can skate at an elite level. He has some skill. Hes a hard worker, coachable. Cheap. Can't ask for more in a depth player that may surprise.

This was the issue with signing Asham. Waste of cap space. Overpaid by a lot for a 4th line player. Haley could fill that spot. Rupp and Asham are overpaid for their roles.

The future is going to be about finding value.

Want a big body that can forecheck, cant skate, and can punch a face, Bickel can fill that role. You don't need to spend 1.5 million on the Rupps of the world.

Want to replace Prust's speed and effort? Why spend 1 millon on Asham when Haley can do it for 600k.

Value.

Value where its needed on the lower lines, and as you progress up the lineup guys get paid. As they should.

The days of over paying fringe players is hopefully at an end.

The cap dropping from 70 to 59 you cant have Rupp and Asham taking up 2.5 million when guys like Haley and Bickel can do the job for 1.35 million.

This is why a Gilroy, Bickel, and Eminger are going to be invaluable to a team.

People complain ignorantly "they sucksssss" when they don't look at the whole picture. They don't suck, first. Second, they are servicable, and cheap. So that the core players can be retained when they need new contracts.

The Rangers have something most if not none have. 5 defensemen that are top four defensemen, home grown. So if a clause is put in the new CBA like in the NBA where you can spend more on your own FA, we may be able to keep them together.

Plus Skjei, who is really good, if anyone has been watching him in Minnesota, and McIlrath, in the system.

The 6-7 are going to have to be cheap, imperfect players.

Same for the fourth line and the healthy scratches.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 12:31 PM
  #273
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Great post SSM.

The nice thing about the Rangers too is that they won't have to spend too much next year even if the cap goes down. They miss an entire season and that affects contracts for guys like Stepan, Hags, and McD. If they're able to get out of the Redden mess, all the better.

Also, Fast and Lindberg are on the way. No guarantees either make the team but Lindberg (who is physically mature enough being 22 a few weeks into next season), Miller, and now it looks like Jean can call be good bottom 6 players, and if Fast can adjust quickly he might be that 2nd-3rd line tweener. All of these guys are a combined $3.7 million.

White Plains Batman is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 01:32 PM
  #274
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Great post SSM.

The nice thing about the Rangers too is that they won't have to spend too much next year even if the cap goes down. They miss an entire season and that affects contracts for guys like Stepan, Hags, and McD. If they're able to get out of the Redden mess, all the better.

Also, Fast and Lindberg are on the way. No guarantees either make the team but Lindberg (who is physically mature enough being 22 a few weeks into next season), Miller, and now it looks like Jean can call be good bottom 6 players, and if Fast can adjust quickly he might be that 2nd-3rd line tweener. All of these guys are a combined $3.7 million.
In no way shape or form is missing an entire season 'all the better' when it comes to our experience as fans of the team/game. I fail to see it as a positive regardless of the contractual implications.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
10-21-2012, 01:51 PM
  #275
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I think Gilroy is a fine depth player.

The salary cap is going down. Having a group of "black aces" like Gilroy, Eminger, and Bickel who can fill in on both defense and forward at cheap prices is going to go a long way for the team.

Injuries happen.

Having versatile cheap depth players will help.

Del Zotto still needs a new contract. Next summer Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin need new ccontracts. The summer after Kreider, Callahan, Girardi and Lundqvist need new contracts. 2015 Staal.

With the cap decreasing, moving forward having guys that are versatile, imperfect, and cheap are going to be very important.

The reality is no team can have 23 perfect players. Gilroy is on par if not better than most 6-7 defensemen in the league. He's not looking to cash in. He wants a job. He clearly wants familiarity. Torts likes him. Hes from the area. He can skate at an elite level. He has some skill. Hes a hard worker, coachable. Cheap. Can't ask for more in a depth player that may surprise.

This was the issue with signing Asham. Waste of cap space. Overpaid by a lot for a 4th line player. Haley could fill that spot. Rupp and Asham are overpaid for their roles.

The future is going to be about finding value.

Want a big body that can forecheck, cant skate, and can punch a face, Bickel can fill that role. You don't need to spend 1.5 million on the Rupps of the world.

Want to replace Prust's speed and effort? Why spend 1 millon on Asham when Haley can do it for 600k.

Value.

Value where its needed on the lower lines, and as you progress up the lineup guys get paid. As they should.

The days of over paying fringe players is hopefully at an end.

The cap dropping from 70 to 59 you cant have Rupp and Asham taking up 2.5 million when guys like Haley and Bickel can do the job for 1.35 million.

This is why a Gilroy, Bickel, and Eminger are going to be invaluable to a team.

People complain ignorantly "they sucksssss" when they don't look at the whole picture. They don't suck, first. Second, they are servicable, and cheap. So that the core players can be retained when they need new contracts.

The Rangers have something most if not none have. 5 defensemen that are top four defensemen, home grown. So if a clause is put in the new CBA like in the NBA where you can spend more on your own FA, we may be able to keep them together.

Plus Skjei, who is really good, if anyone has been watching him in Minnesota, and McIlrath, in the system.

The 6-7 are going to have to be cheap, imperfect players.

Same for the fourth line and the healthy scratches.
The problem with that analysis is that Asham and Rupp have been regular game in--game out NHL players for years because they find ways to fit into roles that teams do need. No argument that Gilroy is more talented and a better skater but he's also 28 years old and hasn't established himself after 3 years knocking around 3 teams and back to the Rangers. Part of the problem is he's about as soft as it gets for a defenseman. Part of the problem is his frequency of getting caught in the gray area between attacking and defending which means he doesn't read plays well. Part of the problem is that even as gifted as a skater, passer with good offensive instincts he hasn't produced much offense. Lee Baldwin can skate and pass very well too--think is another thing. Gilroy's hockey sense has some holes.

eco's bones is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.