HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 3.0 - Unbelievable++ Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
domdo345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
What? He's absolutely a two-way player. He doesn't give 100% defensively? He most definitely does. As a winger he isn't as good defensively, but that's because he's not required too. As a centre, I noticed his defensive game actually hindered his game offensively. He's been fantastic defensively outside of a few plays. He isn't offense first, nor he is defence first. He's do-what's-best-for-your-team first, whether that be offense or defence.
Don't get over defensive over this. He's a bit lazy on the backcheck, likes to stay high for the stretch pass, is not scared to attempt a risky play at the risk of creating a turnover. All signs that he thinks offensively first. Yeah, he plays more defense than most CHLers, but the defensive labor he's doing atm is the strict minimum to be in the NHL unless you are a superstar offensively.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:44 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Don't get over defensive over this. He's a bit lazy on the backcheck, likes to stay high for the stretch pass, is not scared to attempt a risky play at the risk of creating a turnover. All signs that he thinks offensively first. Yeah, he plays more defense than most CHLers, but the defensive labor he's doing atm is the strict minimum to be in the NHL unless you are a superstar offensively.
I'm not. I'm just genuinely confused as to why you said that, it's simply not true.

I doubt he's ever going to win any Selke's, but his defensive effort he fantastic. He's a bit lazy on the backcheck? So you saw a highlight that showed that, and now it suddenly becomes true for every other time he plays? He does not like to stay high for the stretch pass, considering that most of the time a stretch pass happens when Sarnia is playing, he's the one who makes that pass.

If all signs say that he's offensively first and plays the strict minimum of defence, you have a strong concern for his upside as an NHL player. He's simply not going to be a world beater offensively, and his defensive game has to make up for that. Which it does.

I'm questioning how much you've actually watched Galchenyuk play.

Old
10-20-2012, 09:55 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I'm not. I'm just genuinely confused as to why you said that, it's simply not true.

I doubt he's ever going to win any Selke's, but his defensive effort he fantastic. He's a bit lazy on the backcheck? So you saw a highlight that showed that, and now it suddenly becomes true for every other time he plays? He does not like to stay high for the stretch pass, considering that most of the time a stretch pass happens when Sarnia is playing, he's the one who makes that pass.

If all signs say that he's offensively first and plays the strict minimum of defence, you have a strong concern for his upside as an NHL player. He's simply not going to be a world beater offensively, and his defensive game has to make up for that. Which it does.

I'm questioning how much you've actually watched Galchenyuk play.
Not much, but you do not need much to see player's tendencies. If you think it's only the highlight, i'm sorry but you are wrong because I saw it a few times in the 2 games I saw from him. And I think you are actually underrating his offensive ceiling because he's a playmaker first and his supporting cast is weak. For playmakers, most of the time, you need a good offensive Dmen in the second waive which I did not see in any of the Sarnia's defensemen. I respect your opinion but I do not have the same.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:06 PM
That

Quote:
Not much, but you do not need much to see player's tendencies. If you think it's only the highlight, i'm sorry but you are wrong because I saw it a few times in the 2 games I saw from him. And I think you are actually underrating his offensive ceiling because he's a playmaker first and his supporting cast is weak. For playmakers, most of the time, you need a good offensive Dmen in the second waive which I did not see in any of the Sarnia's defencemen. I respect your opinion but I do not have the same.
Two games is no where near enough to evaluate a player, especially someone as talented as Galchenyuk. Those "tendencies" couldn't be further from the truth. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see him take more liberties defensively and try to lead the rush more often.

I see his offensive upside at around 70 points. I think that's fair. Anthony DeAngelo and Connor Murphy are two very offensively gifted defenceman. Both of them think offense first, even though the stats may not show that.

And no worries, you are every bit as entitled to your opinion as I am mine. No what you and I see in his defensive game, lets just be happy that we someone as skilled as him. He has so much potential is could be the star forward that this has desperately needs.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:57 PM
HabsFanFromOntario

P.S. at whoever said Kitchener was a strong squad. It's all Gibson with Reider leading the charge offensively.

Old
10-20-2012, 10:59 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
I'm going to agree with That. I do not see a guy with 90-point upside, I see a 60-70 point guy who can be counted on to play two-way hockey (BUT I'd rather not see him killing penalties if possible, leave the shot blocking to the grinders please).

Old
10-20-2012, 11:36 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I'm going to agree with That. I do not see a guy with 90-point upside, I see a 60-70 point guy who can be counted on to play two-way hockey (BUT I'd rather not see him killing penalties if possible, leave the shot blocking to the grinders please).
What makes you say that?

Old
10-20-2012, 11:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Its still pretty early for that kind of conclusion, when you suffer a such injury, you have it in the head and Gally probably dont wanna push his body to the limit for the time being.. Im pretty sure who is the kind of guy that will step a notch when the game is on the line, in crucial moments, in playoffs ect ect..

Old
10-20-2012, 11:41 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
You see a Plekanec clone?

Old
10-21-2012, 12:21 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
I've seen elite offensive ability from him, so I disagree.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:47 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
lets give it some time

he is young and...he might keep improving

yes yes sometimes players do improve over a couple of years...not over a couple of games

Old
10-21-2012, 02:34 AM
NotProkofievian

I don't know, in Alex I just see too much raw ability, and too good a work ethic to start putting caps on him simply because he's not tearing up the O right now. 60-70 points is great. That stat line described our entire first line last year.

...I just don't think that's where Alex tops out. There is simply nothing fundamentally limiting him to that level.

His playmaking has been very good this year, as he's on pace for 60 assists with less than an exemplary supporting cast. What's not clicking for him is the goal scoring. I believe he is a natural goal-scorer, however, he hasn't sniped yet this year. If his shot had been more accurate so far, there would be no talk of topping out as a "good 2 way player." The guy can score in every different way: dekes, shots, greasy garbage goals. He just hasn't had goals of those first two types yet. They'll come.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:29 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I don't know, in Alex I just see too much raw ability, and too good a work ethic to start putting caps on him simply because he's not tearing up the O right now. 60-70 points is great. That stat line described our entire first line last year.

...I just don't think that's where Alex tops out. There is simply nothing fundamentally limiting him to that level.

His playmaking has been very good this year, as he's on pace for 60 assists with less than an exemplary supporting cast. What's not clicking for him is the goal scoring. I believe he is a natural goal-scorer, however, he hasn't sniped yet this year. If his shot had been more accurate so far, there would be no talk of topping out as a "good 2 way player." The guy can score in every different way: dekes, shots, greasy garbage goals. He just hasn't had goals of those first two types yet. They'll come.
Agreed. Even though I haven't seen him play a full game, capping him out in Pleks' point range seems a little extreme. Tempering expectations is good but he is legitimately one of the best prospects in the game.

Then again 60-70 pts is almost elite category nowadays, hahaha.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:51 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

I don't know if this has been posted already but I'm curious to what you guys think of this list:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-nail-yakupov/

Galchobustengoalyuk is 8th. It's great that he's that high (ahead of Granlund and Baertschi) but I'm wondering if he could possibly be higher.

Can't remember if I read it here or on another board but a fan said he met Huberdeau and he himself admitted that Galch will probably be better than him. Hamilton looks really good but I don't think I'd prefer him to Alex either. Some have even said that Galch is better than Yak.

I was wondering if his knee factored into all this or that age is a factor(most that ranked higher were drafted a year before him).

Also on a side note, how much better does Mackinnon project over Yuk?

Old
10-21-2012, 06:48 AM
poetryinmotion

Are the highlights up?

Old
10-21-2012, 06:56 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
I don't know if this has been posted already but I'm curious to what you guys think of this list:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-nail-yakupov/

Galchobustengoalyuk is 8th. It's great that he's that high (ahead of Granlund and Baertschi) but I'm wondering if he could possibly be higher.

Can't remember if I read it here or on another board but a fan said he met Huberdeau and he himself admitted that Galch will probably be better than him. Hamilton looks really good but I don't think I'd prefer him to Alex either. Some have even said that Galch is better than Yak.

I was wondering if his knee factored into all this or that age is a factor(most that ranked higher were drafted a year before him).

Also on a side note, how much better does Mackinnon project over Yuk?
HF's rankings aren't to be taken too seriously, or any other ones for that matter, just be content that we have one of the best prospects in the world. It's what he does in the NHL that will truly matter once all is said and done, look at Landeskog and the praise he's getting. I do believe Gally can top that. And an other thing that's giving me faith is my trust in Timmins.

Old
10-21-2012, 06:56 AM
onice

Quote:
Not much, but you do not need much to see player's tendencies. I
I think you should have taken the 5th and not incriminated yourself.

Making pronouncements on players you haven't seen much because you don't need to see much. Wow I wonder why scouts all over the league don't take up your insight?

Old
10-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I think you should have taken the 5th and not incriminated yourself.

Making pronouncements on players you haven't seen much because you don't need to see much. Wow I wonder why scouts all over the league don't take up your insight?
All that matters is that Trevor Timmins who happens to know more than anyone on these boards and has seen Galchenyuk play many times believed that he was worth spending the 3rd overall pick on. Timmins believes that he chose the best center in the entire draft and there isn't any reason to believe he was wrong.

I could care less about some armchair quarterback's opinion of Galchenyuk when he has only watched youtube highlights and a couple of games........if he has even seen that much.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Are the highlights up?
http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video...12e158a3159f32

Alex essentially found some undefended ice, stayed there for awhile and scored as a result.

And some more unbelievable lack of hockey IQ by the Sting players on some of those goals scored. I especially loved how the d-man on the PP sent the puck back into their zone along the boards, so even the goalie could not go and play it. Not to mention 2 teammates colliding and then one of them crashing into the goalie just as the Kitchener player shoots. And on the GWG, Sarault is sort of shooting on their goalie. Wow.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 10-21-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old
10-21-2012, 08:51 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
All that matters is that Trevor Timmins who happens to know more than anyone on these boards and has seen Galchenyuk play many times believed that he was worth spending the 3rd overall pick on. Timmins believes that he chose the best center in the entire draft and there isn't any reason to believe he was wrong.

I could care less about some armchair quarterback's opinion of Galchenyuk when he has only watched youtube highlights and a couple of games........if he has even seen that much.
This. Last time we picked this high we got Price, some monkeys questioned Timmins and the pick and now no one does.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:02 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
This. Last time we picked this high we got Price, some monkeys questioned Timmins and the pick and now no one does.
I like your word choices, when you mention "Monkeys".

Let me get some people straight.

Galchenyuk, at 16 years old, Playing alongside Nail Yakupov had 83 points in 68 games.
PPG Ratio = 1.22

Now, Galchenyuk, at 18 years old, out for an entire season, without playing with an Elite prospect, has 15 points in 12 games.
PPG Ratio = 1.25

And we have people doubting this pick/his offensive capabilities?

Old
10-21-2012, 10:06 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
I like your word choices, when you mention "Monkeys".

Let me get some people straight.

Galchenyuk, at 16 years old, Playing alongside Nail Yakupov had 83 points in 68 games.
PPG Ratio = 1.22

Now, Galchenyuk, at 18 years old, out for an entire season, without playing with an Elite prospect, has 15 points in 12 games.
PPG Ratio = 1.25

And we have people doubting this pick/his offensive capabilities?
It was 1.33 the week before this, and under a .ppg 2 weeks before that (keep in mind a week is a 3 game span). The point is that it's highly fluctuating as the season is still young.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:13 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
It was 1.33 the week before this, and under a .ppg 2 weeks before that (keep in mind a week is a 3 game span). The point is that it's highly fluctuating as the season is still young.
Ok, and your point is what exactly? Im sure it was highly fluctuating in his first season with the Sting as well. We are human, and not Robots. We are not programmed. We have good games and we have bad games.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:14 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Gally will have no trouble finishing in and around the 1.4-1.5 mark I imagine. He's got to get his groove back, establish some chemistry with some team mates as well.

I am far from worried about this kid. He's actually benefitting from playing on a bad team as he has to play a more complete team game to try and win. If he was playing on a stacked team he might have 2pt per game but might not be putting in that extra effort defensively.

Look no further than a lot of the players on the Sea Dogs last year. Lazy is the first word that comes to mind, most of them coasted on talent and put up big offensive numbers but got crushed by far inferior teams playing a complete game.

Beaulieu essentially lost a years development from that garbage. He is going to learn how to play defense in a higher league now because of his silver spoon situation last season.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:15 AM
poetryinmotion

delete

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 10-21-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Closed Thread